Page 1

Historic Homes Tour

After an architectural survey in the 1970s conducted by Carthage Historic Preservation, Inc., three districts were nominated to the National Register of Historic Places: Courthouse Square District in 1980, Carthage South District in 1982, and Cassill Place in 1986. Today, visitors can tour these districts to explore outstanding examples of post-Civil War architectural styles from 1870s through early 20th century designs. Generally speaking, the boundaries of the south or residential district are Clinton on the east, 5th Street on the north, Garrison on the west, and Centennial on the south. The following is by no means a comprehensive listing of all the properties within the residential district. Anyone desiring further information is urged to consult the Missouri State Historic Preservation Office’s website at www.dnr.state. mo.us/shpo/jasper.htm. (All photography of the Carthage Historic Homes Driving Tour is provided by Koral Martin of Koka Art Gallery on 409 S. Main.) Begin at west corner of Courthouse Square and travel south on Main Street. Old Press Building 527 Main – 1920 A two-story structure displays classical detail in smooth Carthage stone. The former bracketed and pediment entry has been closed. It once served as a grocery warehouse and then converted into the home of the local newspaper, the Carthage Press. It is currently being remodeled into an event center with retail and office space. Contact the Venue at 417.237.0543 to book event space.

42

First Methodist Church 617 Main – 1925/1974 The front portion of the church burned down in 1973 and was replaced by a noncontributing addition. The rear portion was constructed in 1925 of brick and stone and still retains Gothic and Tudor elements. Carthage Junior High School 714 Main Street – 1903 This three-story school structure is constructed in rough cut ashlar masonry. The bays are separated by Doric pilasters in smooth cut stone. There is an abundance of classical detail, a semi-circular entry and a denticulated stone cornice.


First Christian Church 800 S. Main Street – 1909 This church was originally designed as a centralized plan. The proposed central dome recorded in an early rendering was never executed. The church is constructed in Carthage marble and has classical detail. Turn right on Howard Grace Episcopal Church 820 Howard – 1889 Grace Church is one of the oldest Christian congregations in continuous existence in Jasper County, and is the oldest public building constructed of Carthage marble. The nave is largely unchanged from its opening in 1890. Stained glass windows were added in early 1900s. Note the attention to detail and the prominent rose window on the front. The church is also home to a Biblical Garden that features plants that were native in biblical times and locations and can thrive in Southwest Missouri today.

Historic Homes Tour

Turn left on Chestnut

Blackwell House 1002 Howard – 1885 The original Eastlake house has had significant Classical Revival elements added and is considered a pivotal structure within the district. Prominent features include vertical board banding, sunbursts, angular bay windows, and decorative shingles. The brick work of the central chimney and the classical portico are outstanding. Leggett House 1106 Grand – 1901 Built by J.P. Leggett, inventor of the coil bedspring and cofounder of Leggett & Platt, Inc, this two-story Classical Revival home is constructed of Carthage marble. It is a close twin to the former Platt House (1131 Grand), but it is slightly more angular in its exterior configuration. The rear carriage house burned several years ago, and has been largely rebuilt.

43


Historic Homes Tour

Turn left onto Grand Avenue Former Skelly Gas Station 1100 Grand Newly renovated building which was a former filling station and then a dry cleaner. After standing vacant for some time, the building was the despair of the neighborhood, but it now has new life, with remodeled exterior in automotive and petroliana themes. A wonderful addition to Carthage with its Route 66 heritage. Davey House 1130 Grand – 1888 The Queen Anne home was built by Englishman Thomas Davey, owner of the Carthage Foundry with mining interests in the area. Noteworthy features of this 2½-story Queen Anne home include a domed turret with recessed porch and superb brick chimneys with decorative caps. The Victorian porch of this significant structure was removed at an early date and replaced with a Neoclassical one. There are a number of fine stained glass windows. Platt House 1131 Grand – 1901 Built by C.B. Platt, co-founder of Leggett & Platt, Inc. This house style first appeared at the Chicago World’s Fair of 1893. Porches, enclosing the house on one or more sides, had classical columns, often grouped in pairs. The home is a two and one-half story Classical Revival home constructed of Carthage marble. Mr. Joe Prather designed both the Platt and Leggett homes.

44

Phelps House 1146 Grand – 1895 Built by W.H. Phelps, prominent attorney and state legislator, this style mingles Beaux Arts, Classical Revival and Romanesque details and is constructed of Carthage marble. It boasts 10 fireplaces, all with different imported tile. Additional features include hand-painted wall paper, original hand-carved woodwork, and a roof restored to the original


Cowgill House 1155 Grand – 1887 This Chauteauesque built by Henry Cowgill, industrialist and banker, is typical of the style: wide, rounded arches, brick or stone work, heavy stone lintels and sills, steeply sloped roofs, and towers. Mr. Cowgill was an associate of Frank Hill (1157 South Main) in a milling company. It is believed that both of their Romanesque Revival homes were designed by the same architect.

Historic Homes Tour

Ludowici clay tile in 2010. It has a hand-operated elevator serving four floors from the basement to the ballroom. The carriage house has been repurposed into a cafeteria for the St. Ann Catholic School. The Phelps House is available for tours on Wednesdays April - November 10am-4pm and may be rented for events and weddings. Call 417.358.1776 or visit www. phelpshouse.org for information.

Spencer House 1163 Grand – 1870 Italianate built by Clinton Spencer, Sherriff for Jasper County. It is conjectured that the home was built with embezzled county funds and jail inmate labor. This style, popular before the Civil War, was used extensively in Carthage after the war. Often built as a simple cube, the two-story brick Italianate home has segmental window heads, a bracketed cornice, and is crowned by a widow’s walk. The shutters are original to the property. Barkley House 1180 Grand – 1900 The porch of this two-story frame, Classical Revival home exhibits Doric columns and overhead pediment with plaster floral motifs and turned balusters. Recently remodeled to include two high-end apartments.

45


Historic Homes Tour

Lundy House 1213 Grand – 1895 A prime example of it style, the two-story Eastlake home by Richard Lundy, city official. This style features irregular floor plans, gabled roofs and structural details decorated with spindle work resembling that on Eastlake furniture. There is a belt of shingles between the first and second floors. The front porch displays are characteristic with turned post balusters and a cutwork frieze. McElroy House 1301 Grand – 1890 Built by C.F. McElroy, drygoodsman and mine owner. The boxed, denticulated cornice of this two-and-a-half story frame Italianate is supported by the double brackets with hanging pendants. The hipped roof has finials along the ridge line and the front dormer exhibits a sunburst panel. The porch cornice is bracketed and is supported by molded posts and a jig-sawn cut balustrade. Huntley House 1302 Grand – 1877 Italianate built by Ezra Huntley, who had participated in the California Gold Rush. According to oral traditions, Huntley had the molding around the front door braided like rope, a nod to his early years as a sailor. The cornice is one of the most beautiful in Carthage. It is denticulated and supported by mammoth, ornately scrolled brackets. There are not only decorative panels between the brackets, but also beneath the eaves.

46

Spradling House 1410 Grand – 1905 Originally the house was a one-story cottage. This first story was jacked up, given a Tudor half-timbered effect and a brick first story was constructed beneath the original house.


Aaron Myers House 1431 Grand – 1890 The cornice of this twostory frame Italianate home is supported by double brackets and is denticulated. There are also decorative bosses alongside the upper sashes of the doublehung windows. The gate posts of the original wrought-iron fence still front the property.

Historic Homes Tour

Miller/Ramsay House 1422 Grand – 1890 Built by a grocer and later owned by Albert Ramsay, department store owner, this chateauesque-style residence features threestory polygonal tower with a bracketed tent roof.

R.A. Montgomery House 1500 Grand – 1895 The house was designed in the style of architect Stanford White and was moved from Cassill Place on Central Avenue in the early 1930s. The house was rotated when moved; the original back side faces Grand Avenue. Montgomery was said to be a member of the Marshall Fields Warehouse family from Chicago. Houser/Carmean House 1615 Grand – 1893 This spectacular Queen Anne house is a true “painted lady.” Its many original features include oak and cherry woodwork, stained glass windows, and a sweeping grand staircase with massive oak newel posts. Guests enter though the original front doors, now restored, into a front hall with curved plaster walls. Grand Avenue Bed & Breakfast since 1989, this home is available for day tours on request. Call 417.358.7265 or visit www.grand-avenue.com for information. Turn right (west) at St. Louis Avenue and go one block to South Main. Turn right (north) onto Main.

47


Historic Homes Tour

Main Street was the primary traffic artery leading from the Courthouse Square. By 1896, the electric streetcar service extended south from the square for the entire length of Main Street to Fairview. Well-maintained Victorian homes line both sides of this treelined thoroughfare. The north end of South Main consists of a small commercial area, which is contiguous to the south boundary of the Courthouse Square Historic District. Sewall House 1607 S. Main – 1920 This Tudor Revival home was home to William Sewall, Carthage Press newspaper owner. The home has a second floor overhang supported by brackets. The entry has segmental opening with stone keystone and label stops. The door has sidelights and the brick is textured. Mark Twain Elementary 1435 S. Main – 1917 This school was designed by Percy Simpson of Kansas City. It is constructed with uncoursed blocks of Carthage limestone. Luke House 1335 S. Main – 1900 Georgian Revival by James Luke, mine owner. The features are a symmetrical facade, hipped roof, and symmetrically placed chimneys. The doorway, usually crowned with a pediment. In this style of house, it features a portico with classical columns. The brick of this Classical Revival home was imported from England. A matching carriage house sits on the rear of the property.

48

Irwin House 1327 S. Main – 1897 Tiki Irwin, a former merchant, had vested interests in the mining industries of southwest Missouri. He and J.W. Ground (1128 S. Garrison) owned the Duenweg mine. The Queen Anne residence is one of the few in Carthage to have a zinc roof, although it is not certain if it is original. A large display of finials and ornamental brick chimneys enrich the roofline.


Tower House 1321 S. Main – 1880 The Italianate house was built by W. S. Tower, realtor, who admired the wealthy banker next door and tried to copy his house (1309 Main). Lacking Goucher’s finances, he used wood instead of brick. In 1870, Tower established the Carthage Brewery and in 1872 united with Gustavus A. Cassill to form the Carthage Mining and Smelting Company.

Historic Homes Tour

Rose House 1320 S. Main – 1899 Built by G. A. Rose, owner of Rose Mercantile on the northwest corner of the square. It combines Queen Anne and Colonial Revival features. Note the decorative floral frieze in the second floor cornice. A veranda wraps around the rounded two-story bay to the southwest.

Goucher House 1309 S. Main – 1876 The Italianate house with Federal features was built by David Goucher, who was president of Farmers and Drovers Bank. This home is a well-preserved, two-story brick Italianate. The decorative window heads are of cast iron. The denticulated cornice of the hipped roof displays double brackets and ornamental fretwork. Exquisite stained glass is retained in the transom and lights of the double doors and north front window. The interior includes many distinctive features including a fireplace with white Carrara marble mantel. Hannum House 1312 S. Main – 1885 The two-story brick Italianate built by Phillip Hannum, mine owner. It departs from the more common cube style but has the low, hipped roof with segmentally arched windows, bracketed cornices and square, denticulated porch columns that are typical of the Italianate style. Turned posts and jigsaw cut brackets support the porch roof. The large first floor window has a segmental head of three rows of brick headers and stained glass transom.

49


Historic Homes Tour

Hannum House 1303 S. Main – 1900 This two-and-a-half story Four Square or Box home was built by Edward Hannum, who was a grocer. This house was altered with the removal of its front porch and the addition of large, fixed, multi-paned windows. Such alterations are not incompatible with the district. MacMorran House 1220 S. Main – 1904 The ornamental Victorian porch that fronted this twostory Four Square or Box home has been removed. The present entry has a broken pediment above it and sidelights on either side. Second Davey House 1208 S. Main – 1906 Two-story Queen Anne with beautiful front porch uses contrasting building materials with clapboard siding for the first floor and shingles for the second floor. The contrast in materials was often emphasized by painting the floors different colors. The second floor flares out slightly. The porch has tured balusters and posts with cutwork and console brackets. Sunburst panel above the pedimented entry. McNew House 1204 S. Main – 1915 The first story of this twostory Box home has a Carthage marble veneer. Smooth stone quoins can be detected around the first floor windows and doors.

50

“Wetzel’s Folly” 1205 S. Main – 1873 This Italianate villa was begun in 1873. When the building project was abandoned, S.E. Wetzel completed the house and it was known from that date as “Wetzel’s Folly.” This home and the Goucher Home were the first constructed on Main Street. A prominent feature of the home is its central tower with mansard cap. Windows are


Turn left to Macon A.W. St. John Home 204 West Macon – 1890 This house was originally much smaller and had Eastlake details on the exterior. In 1905, Mr. Millard hired architects from Chicago to alter the home to its present Neoclassical style. These changes include the addition of a monumental two-story portico with ionic, fluted columns.

Historic Homes Tour

long and narrow with segmental or semi-circular hood moldings and corbel stops. The exterior, enclosed porches display beautifully scrolled brackets and jigsaw detail. A self-supporting, curved stairway graces the interior hall and leads to the tower.

Baker House 205 Macon – 1893 This three-story, classic Queen Anne house is recognized for its wraparound porch, turrets and towers, as well as an unusual gable relief of pick, axe, and ore samples, indicating Mr. Baker’s source of wealth. The house was remodled by many subsequent owners, but the current owners have done extensive interior restoration. Mr. Baker’s portrait still hangs in the foyer. Turn right onto Maple Roark House 1139 S. Maple – 1870 This two-story structure is one of the oldest Italianate homes within the district, yet no documentation of it exists. The windows are set within segmental openings. They are flanked on either side by what appear to be the original shutters. The monumental cornice exhibits elaborately scrolled brackets and modillions. A continuous paneled frieze is below. The stone porch is probably a late addition.

51


Historic Homes Tour

Cushman House 1123 S. Maple – 1890 The most startling feature of this one-and-a-half story Eastlake cottage is the small angular tower, which rises from the front facade. Norris House 1013 S. Maple – 1890 This two-story Eastlake home retains its overhead transom. The house has shiplap siding. Not only have the side and front gables been allowed a decorative shingle treatment, but the vertical placement of short boards beneath the eaves creates an interesting saw tooth frieze. Turn right on Chestnut Central Park Corner of Chestnut and Lyon Streets. This site was originally a cemetery (1841-1869) and the remains were moved to Carthage Cemetery in 1871. The park is enhanced by a centralized fountain, playground, winding sidewalks, gazebo, seasonal wading pool, bandstand and large, lovely shade trees. The park also features a statue depicting legendary hometown boy, Marlin Perkins. The Old Shingled House 202 West Chestnut – 1885 It is believed that this twostory house was built by Alfred Colwell. It is presently sided with wood shingles.

52

First Presbyterian Church 115 W. Chestnut – 1916 There is a square, brick campanile at the southeast corner of this church. Windows and doors are set within Tudor arched openings. The upper cornice displays a brick parapet edged in stone.


Perkins House 902 S. Main – 1898 Birthplace of R. Marlin Perkins, noted naturalist and TV host, born in 1905 to Judge Joseph Perkins and Mynta Miller Perkins. This two-story, frame Victorian vernacular structure has a denticulated cornice and Palladian window in the upper gable. Mitchell House 903 S. Main – 1881 This two-story brick Italianate was built by J.A. Mitchell, president of the Bank of Carthage. By 1903, Mitchell added the front portico, built of Carthage marble. The openings of the first floor windows are rounded; the second floor’s are segmental. The cast iron cresting above the side porches and the iron fence that surrounds the yard are significant and rare, since World War II saw many sacrificed to war material drives. A two-story brick carriage house is to the rear of the property.

Historic Homes Tour

Turn right on Main

Cumberland Presbyterian Church 1014 S. Main – 1892 In 1977, the exterior brick facades were stuccoed over and significant stained glass was protected by sheets of plexi-glass. The former tower had been removed at an earlier date. Ketcham House 1103 S. Main – 1901 This Georgian/Classical Revival home was built by Doctors Cassius and Elizabeth Lawson Hall Ketcham. The pure symmetry of this two-story home is broken by the placement of rounded, projecting bays on the north half of the front facade and angular bays on the south. There is a Palladian window above the pedimented portico.

53


Historic Homes Tour

Hill House 1157 S. Main – 1887 This impressive house, built in the Chateauesque style, was owned by Frank Hill, who was in the milling business and was involved with the Bank of Carthage. It is rumored that he wished to own the “tallest” house in Carthage. Prominent features of this two-and-a-half story home include a slate roof, decorative brick chimneys, a second-story oriel window with conical roof, and an Eastlake Porch. It also boasts 10 fireplaces, original stained glass and magnificent woodwork. Note the round turret, corbelled out from the wall with a “candle-snuffer” roof. McMillan House 1183 S. Main – 1890 This house was built by William McMillan, who was a paper hanger, and later became the owner of the Jasper County intercity trolley line and publisher of the Joplin Globe. Its entrance originally faced Main Street. Its doublehung windows have segmental heads and the wall construction is brick. Haves House 1184 S. Main – 1890 From all appearances, it seems that this one-anda-half story home was originally two stories. There is foundation evidence that it is actually two homes joined together. Therefore, the bellcast, hipped roof and dormer are probably not original, but more from the Craftsman era. Other features include a large front window within a segmental opening, massive Doric porch columns and beautifully turned balusters. Turn right on Macon Street

54

Gray House 303 W. Macon – circa 1910 This house is built on the former Ground estate. The two-and-a-half story Tudor Revival home has been given a half-timbered effect on the upper story. The first floor is brick. Note the “Ground” stone markers on all four corners of this block.


Continue right onto Garrison Carthage Public Library 612 S. Garrison – 1895 417.237.7040 One of the few still functioning Andrew Carnegie library buildings. It is still in pristine condition. Built in a French Revival style with touches of the Neoclassical, it features an exterior copper dome and a large painted domed ceiling. Its tasteful addition has received architectural awards for the integration of a modern addition with historically significant structure.

Historic Homes Tour

Ground House 1128 S. Garrison – 1897 This lovely Queen Anne home was also built by Mr. Ground, who had extensive mining interest. The Ground family originally owned land which covered the entire block. Markers reading “Ground” at the block corners on Garrison are still intact.

Carthage Memorial Hall 407 S. Garrison – 1924 417.237.7050 Carthage’s tribute to World War I soldiers was the construction of the Memorial Hall in 1924. Today its auditorium and meeting rooms are the site of club activities, auctions and concerts; both rooms can be rented for public or private events. The Edwin W. Wiggins Post 9 American Legion is located on the second floor. Carthage CVB invites you to continue your tour by turning right on 4th street to take a walking tour of the Carthage Historic Square District or turning left on Oak Street to learn more of Carthage history at the Powers Museum.

55

Historic homes guide 2015  

A self guided driving tour of the southern residential historic district in Carthage, Missouri. This guide has over 50 locations listed with...

Read more
Read more
Similar to
Popular now
Just for you