Page 41

much to put up with and deserves such games, and it is hoped that next year will see at least one or two such fixtures. Once again, we thank most sincerely coaches, referees, Free Ambulance and St. John Ambulance members, the Rugby Union (which pays travelling costs), and groundsmen for their part in giving us our football.

1ST XV The first trial was held on the 24th of March and from the standard shown it was apparent that a great amount of work would have to be done to ensure that a 1st XV of any quality could be fielded for the coming season. The final trial was held on Monday, the 29th, and the members of the inter-collegiate athletic team were seen in action. This game saw some concerted driving from the forwards and crisp running from the backs. After a week, the team had changed its appearance and the first run - against W.C.O.B. - was eagerly awaited. Four quarters were played and the coach took the opportunity to change the team around. R. Laurenson was called in to replace P. Rodger on the wing, and J. Wedde was asked to replace D. Gorman as number 8. J. Raine left the field after suffering an injury and he was replaced by B. Morrison. The final score was Wellington College 20 (tries G. Morrison 2, D. Howman, Monaghan, Parun; Howman a dropped goal. Parun a conversion), W.C.O.B. 9. After this game, the team for the first competition match was announced and it was: P. Martin D. Halliday J. Morrison R. Laurenson D. Howman B. Windley M. Monaghan (c.) J. Wedde O. Parun, J. Green (v.c.), A. McLennan, B. Morrison, J. Saunders, J. Raine, L. Powell. (R. Sinkinson was unavailable because of an injury which prevented him from playing for five weeks.) The first club games of the season were against Upper Hutt and Marist and many faults not previously encountered were brought to light. However, the scrummaging and rucking were both of a very high standard. Our main difficulty at this time of the season was in the lineouts. Wedde continued to have difficulty at the back until M. Oram was brought into the team. The game against St. Bernard’s College was a comedy of errors. Green was outstanding in the forwards, but the backs lost most of the possession through handling errors. After three wins, the College team was soundly beaten by Onslow College. The Onslow team were quick to capitalise on our numerous mistakes and gave the team a lesson in vigorous 80- minute rugby. A bad feature of the game was

Backs up on defence against Nelson College the number of penalties conceded. A poor game for the Firsts. This defeat of the team was followed by an unlucky loss to University and then, two weeks later, Petone gave the College team a third beating 21-9. The team had been changed over these two weeks. McLennan and J. Morrison had been injured, and Parun had been moved back to fullback. Martin moved up to centre and Oram was brought into the side to lock with Sinkinson. Green was moved to number 8. The team v. Rongotai: O. Parun, D. Halliday, P. Martin, R. Laurenson, D. Howman, B. Windley, M. Monaghan, P. Rodger, R. Sinkinson, M. Oram, J. Wedde, J. Saunders, J. Raine, L. Powell. B. Morrison replaced L. Powell in the second half. J. Morrison and A. McLennan were unavailable through injury. Rongotai Match College forwards dominated most of the first half, but the backs had a lot of trouble. Windley had one of those rare days where his hands let him down and the outside backs were affected accordingly. However, in the second half, Rongotai came back with renewed spirit. The College forwards began to wilt and their rucking was almost non-existent towards the end of the game. Wellington College 24 (tries by Martin, Halliday, Laurenson, Monaghan, Wedde; and Parun kicked three conversions and one penalty), Rongotai College 17 (three penalties, two tries and one conversion). The College team, pleased with the victory over Rongotai and, a week later, over Hutt, awaited the game against St. Patrick’s town, which was to be the curtain-raiser to the final New Zealand trial.


1965 Wellingtonian  
1965 Wellingtonian