Page 1

Tim Barlass ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ●

QANTAS passengers caught up in its fleet grounding will be wooed with free flights and extra loyalty points, the airline has announced. The deal, which is being offered to passengers who had bookings between last Saturday night and last Monday, is on top of refunds, accommodation and payments the airline has given to the tens of thousands of people affected in the industrial dispute. The airline will give every passenger who held a ticket from 5pm on October 29 until midnight on Monday a return economy ticket to destinations in Australia or New Zealand. Qantas has taken out advertisements in newspapers across Australia today announcing the offer.

Recovery strategy Free return economy airfare to destinations within Australia and New Zealand Free flights will receive frequent flyer points Bookings open November 30 for travel after December 14 * Offer made to passengers holding tickets from Saturday, October 29 to Monday, October 31.

When Qantas boss Alan Joyce announced the union lockout and grounding last Saturday, there were 64 planes already in the air, carrying 7000 passengers. Another 13,000 were due to fly in to Australia in the 24 hours following his announcement but Qantas estimated up to 68,000 people would be affected each day the grounding continued. Yesterday, a Qantas spokeswoman estimated 100,000 passengers would qualify for the free tickets and that the initiative would cost the airline about $20 million. The flights will also earn frequent flyer points for passengers who are part of the Qantas program.

It has several conditions, including a bar on flights operated by Qantas’s budget carrier, Jetstar, which means some destinations are excluded. Over the past few years, Qantas has shifted flights on some routes, for example, Melbourne and Sydney to the Gold Coast, to Jetstar. The airline will begin emailing affected passengers about the offer from tomorrow and bookings can be made from the end of this month for travel from December 14 and valid for two years. Tickets must be booked at least 14 days before the date of departure, but no more than 90 days. And changes will be permitted free of charge. The spokeswoman said the idea was part of a ‘‘customer-recovery strategy’’ driven by Mr Joyce, who has stressed it was initially his decision to ground the fleet but that he had the backing of the board. Mr Joyce said in a statement issued yesterday: ‘‘This ticket offer is one of a range of initiatives we will be launching as a way of saying sorry as we move forward into this period of stability.’’ It is understood the broader marketing push will include a focus on winning back corporate and government business that has been lost to rival carrier Virgin Blue. Virgin caters for about 14 per cent of all government and public service travel, up from 10 per cent. Qantas flights resumed last Tuesday afternoon after Fair Work Australia terminated all industrial action and ordered Qantas and the unions, the Transport Workers Union, Australian Licensed Aircraft Engineers’ Association and the Australian and International Pilots Association, to resolve their dispute within 21 days. Asked if the free ticket offer was an admission that the grounding had been a mistake, the spokeswoman said: ‘‘It was absolutely the right decision for Qantas. Now that no more industrial action can take place, we are 100 per cent focused on moving forward.’’ A transport analyst for Deutsche Bank, Cameron McDonald, said the travelling public was ‘‘pretty resilient’’ and points earned through the frequent flyer program could mean passengers remained loyal to Qantas. ‘‘There are 8 million members of the Qantas frequent flyer program – that’s 50 per cent of households, and people love their points,’’ he said.

19

Free flights: Qantas says sorry to passengers

Stepping away from the past ... the Girl Guides are examining how they can modernise to be more relevant to girls.

God may be first casualty as Guides look for a fresh start Cosima Marriner ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ●

‘‘I promise that I will do my best: to do my duty to God, to serve the Queen and my country; to help other people; and to keep the Guide law. THESE are the first words a little girl utters when she becomes a Girl Guide and they haven’t changed in more than 40 years. But now the Girl Guide promise is being reviewed to bring the 100-year-old organisation into the 21st century – and God and the Queen could be casualties of the modernisation. The word ‘‘obedient’’ as a girl guide law is also under review. The Board of Girl Guides Australia is asking its 30,000 members to suggest how the Guide promise and law could be made more relevant to their lives today. The Australian Guides are trying to shed their old-fashioned folksy image to appeal to a wider group from different faiths and cultures. ‘‘We’re seen as outdated, yet the programs we run are far from outdated,’’ the NSW Guides Commissioner, Belinda Allen, said. They introduced new uniforms last year, run modern leadership and personal development programs alongside their traditional outdoor activities, and now want to overhaul the promise and law, last updated in 1969. ‘‘We feel it’s time it was in language that is appropriate to girls of the 21st century, and to Australia, because the nature and composition of the Australian community has changed dramatically since 1969,’’ Ms Allen said.

The Australian promise – a code of living that Guides strive for – is nearly identical to the promise made by the British Guides. But Canadian Guides don’t mention God or the Queen in their promise. After reviewing their wording last year, they now pledge ‘‘to be true to myself, my beliefs and Canada’’. Ms Allen is reluctant to publicly single out which parts of the promise and law are likely to change, lest she pre-empt the survey responses of Guides. But it is believed that the references to God and the Queen are key elements up for review. It became optional last year for Australian Guides to promise to serve the Queen. Guides in the Netherlands and Switzerland can omit the words ‘‘with the help of God’’, while Guides in Britain and the US can substitute their preferred spiritual deity for God. When it comes to the Guide law Ms Allen has a ‘‘big problem’’ with the

Bali boy’s six-figure deal with Nine and 60 Minutes Rebecca Richardson ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ●

THE family of the 14-year-old boy on drug charges in Bali has sealed a six-figure deal with Nine Entertainment Co to tell the story of his arrest and trial. Sources told The Sun-Herald last night that the deal, worth between $200,000 and $300,000, includes coverage across 60 Minutes, Nine News, and Nine Entertainment Co’s ACP magazines. Nine’s managing direct-

or, Jeffrey Browne, finalised the deal and it was signed off by the CEO, David Gyngell. A source confirmed a 60 Minutes team may be flying to Bali on Wednesday to film some colour for an interview with the boy and his family – in anticipation that he will be released on Friday. The celebrity publicist Grant Vandenberg, who also represents Alan Jones, Russell Crowe and most recently Justice Marcus Einfeld upon his release from jail, managed

NEWS 5

65

THE SUN-HERALD SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 6, 2011

the deal that was signed on Thursday, two days after he hosted guests at the Lexus tent in the Birdcage at Flemington for the Melbourne Cup. News Ltd’s Sunday newspapers said 60 Minutes intended to ‘‘unmask’’ the boy as wide-eyed and frightened, and would not have survived the ordeal after his ‘‘terrible mistake’’ without the support of his heartbroken parents. The Morisset Park teenager told a Denpasar court on Friday that he

would redouble his efforts to kick his marijuana habit, and begged to be let home with his family. The lead prosecutor, I Gusti Gede Putu Atmaja, said outside the court: ‘‘The boy said he used that stuff in Australia. He really tried to stop but he couldn’t yet.’’ Prosecutors will make their sentence request on Friday after consulting the Indonesian Attorney-General’s department. The judge is expected to deliver his verdict that day.

sixth law which states ‘‘A Guide is obedient’’. ‘‘It is totally out of step with girls in this day and age,’’ she said. ‘‘In a time of gender equality it’s very important that girls are empowered to think for themselves and make good decisions. I think the word we’d like to use is respect, as opposed to obedience.’’ After declining during the ’80s and ’90s, Guides membership has stabilised and is now growing again. Ms Allen hopes a new, more inclusive promise and law will encourage more girls to join the Guides. ‘‘I hope we’ll broaden our appeal,’’ she said. ‘‘I’m sure there have been cases in the past where girls felt [excluded].’’ Ms Allen doubts many Guides will be alienated by any changes to the promise and law. ‘‘Anything is controversial where you are looking to change,’’ she said. ‘‘With any change do you please everyone? We are listening to our membership.’’ A new promise and law are likely to be unveiled next March.

Shock jock imported The controversial New Zealand broadcaster Paul Henry has announced he will be a host of Channel 10’s new Breakfast program. Henry confirmed yesterday he would be paid more than $750,000 to host the program, scheduled to be launched in January. In August, Andrew Rochford was named as one host of the program. Henry resigned from TVNZ’s Breakfast last year after outrage over comments about the ethnicity of New Zealand’s Governor-General. AAP 씰 Darkness hits Sunrise — Page 21 2HERSA1 0005

syd-624ynxx5jiorfxgv5c0_original  

THEfamilyofthe14-year-oldboy ondrugchargesinBalihassealeda six-figuredealwithNineEntertain- mentCototellthestoryofhisarrest andtrial. Source...

Read more
Read more
Similar to
Popular now
Just for you