Greenville For nearly 150 years, the small town of Greenville sat on the banks of the St. Francis River. As a frontier town, as county seat of Wayne County, and later as a lumber and railroad town, the community that existed was a commercial and political center for the region. Greenville was named after Fort Greene Ville (now Greenville), Ohio, where General Anthony Wayne signed a treaty with the Native Americans after defeating them in the Battle of Fallen Timbers on Aug. 20, 1794. This was the final battle of the Northwest Indian War. Wayne County was named for this military hero and Greenville was named for the place he was most associated with. Incidentally, Fort Greene Ville, Ohio, was named after Nathaniel Greene, a friend of Wayne. Greenville was laid out as the seat of justice for Wayne County in 1819 upon the banks of the St. Francis River, on Spanish Grant No. 787. City Hall...... 224-3911 There were 10 or 15 log cabins, a water gristmill, and a Fax.............. 224-3470 ferry. When the town was laid Police.......... 224-5358 out, its site was a cornfield, the streets were laid out Sheriff......... 224-3219 eand according to the rows of corn. Ambulance.....224-5550 A store was opened there
See Greenville, Page 58
Greenville Officials Don Scowden, Mayor C.L. McClure, Alderman Jason Hill, Alderman Matt Sturgeon, Alderman Rick Rainwater, Alderman Danny Jaco, Chief of Police Pam Birmingham, City Clerk Ben Thompson, City Attorney
City Council Meetings The Greenville City Council meets at 6 p.m. on the third Thursday of each month.
Court Information Municipal Court is held once a month at the courthouse.
2010................ 511 2000................ 451