Contact Telephone Numbers
If you need to contact the emergency services follow the advice below:
Dialling from WIT landline: Dial (9)-999 or (9)-112. (Please note you need to dial “9” first to get an outside line). Dialling from non-WIT landline or from mobile phone: Dial 999 or 112
Emergency Services Institute Nurse Medical Centre Nurse Medical Centres:
999/112 (087) 2724422 (085) 7739055
• Main Campus • College Street • Barronstrand Street
(051) 302873 (051) 845671 (051) 852999 (051) 848000 1850 334 999
Waterford Regional Hospital Caredoc
Your Health Your Safety Health & Safety Information
When connected: Useful Contact Numbers: 1. Ask for the correct service i.e. Fire, Ambulance, Gardai 2. Give the following information: • • • • • •
Your name Telephone number Campus location Exact location on campus Type of incident Type of injury (if known)
3. Don’t hang up until the operator clears the line After you contact the Emergency Services please contact the porter on duty or the security office (087-9400888) and advise them of the situation.
Bord Gáis ESB Emergency Estates Office
Garda Confidential Garda Síochána Health & Safety Authority HSA Health & Safety Office Institute Chaplain Institute Counsellor Security Office Student’s Union
1850 20 50 50 1850 372 999 (051) 302678 (051) 302859 (051) 302748 1800 666 111 (051) 874888 (01) 6147000/ 1890 289 389 (051) 845517 (051) 302617 (051) 302475 (051) 302878 (087) 9400888 (051) 374744
Additional Information Further information can be obtained from: Mary O’Doherty, Health & Safety Officer Waterford Institute of Technology Cork Road, Waterford. Tel: 051-845517 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Web: www.wit.ie
In the interest of ensuring your Health & Safety while at the Institute, please take the time to read this information carefully.
AED (Defibrillator) Availability
If you have an accident while at the Institute or during Institute activities off-campus report it immediately to one of the following:
If I discover a fire what should I do?
• • • • •
• Engineering & Science Building: beside WIT card machine in atrium area • Business School Building: beside WIT card machine outside the SPAR shop • Tourism & Leisure Building: corridor outside Human Performance Laboratory • Tourism & Leisure Building: ground floor atrium area beside porter’s desk • O’Connell Bianconni Nursing and Health Science Building: ground floor atrium area beside stairwell • Luke Wadding Library: foyer area opposite circulation desk • Walton I.T. Building: ground floor atrium area inside main door • Multi Purpose Hall: first floor area beside lockers
Your Manager or Supervisor Your Lecturer or Course Leader The Medical Centre The Health & Safety Officer Your designated WIT contact (visitors and contractors)
Please ensure that an Incident Report Form has been completed and sent to the Health & Safety Officer.
If your injury is minor it can be dealt with by an on-site first aider. If your injury requires medical attention please attend the Medical Centre on campus. If the Medical Centre is closed please attend your own G.P., the Caredoc (after hours) or the Accident & Emergency Department at Waterford Regional Hospital.
• Main Building: opposite the porter’s desk • St Dominic’s Building: across from porter’s desk beside entrance
Applied Technology Campus: • Main Building: atrium area beside AG26 • Apprentice building: block laying workshop
West Campus: • Arclabs Research & Innovation Centre: behind reception • R2 Research Building: inside main entrance
If your injury is serious contact the emergency services immediately. Dial 999 or 112.
Granary Building: • Granary Building: across from lifts on the ground floor
AED training is available to all staff. If you would like to participate in an AED training course please contact the Health & Safety Office.
Raise the alarm by activating the nearest break glass unit (red square box with glass panel). To activate use your thumb to apply pressure on the black dot in the centre panel of the unit. On hearing the fire alarm all building users must: • Ensure the safe shutdown of equipment/ electricity/gas in use • Evacuate the building by the nearest exit route • Close all doors after you • Proceed to the assembly point
Do Not: • Go upstairs for any reason • Go to lockers/workstations etc to collect personal belongings • Use the lift • Re-enter the building until the “all-clear” has been given
Assembly Points: Assembly points are located in the car park areas of each campus. To locate your closest assembly points check the fire evacuation maps in the room you are in or alternatively proceed to the closest car park where the assembly point will be clearly identifiable.
ALWAYS EVACUATE IF YOU HEAR THE FIRE ALARM, DO NOT ASSUME IT’S A DRILL.