Stamford Bridge was built by Archibald Leitch on 1887. Eighteenth century maps show Fulham Road and Kings Road and surrounding areas, including the site of the stadium and also a stream called ‘Stanford Creek’. The stream runs along the route of the present day railway line, behind the East Stand and flows down into the Thames.
The current capacity stands at 42,522 and the ground has gone from being a huge oval shape to 4 sides close to the pitch. When completed in its current form, Stamford Bridge was the largest football stadium in London. However, it has since been surpassed by the new Wembley & Emirates, but still remains one of the best stadiums in the country and Europe.
Where the stream crossed Fulham Road is marked “Little Chelsea Bridge” which was originally called Sanford Bridge (from sand ford). While a bridge over the creek on Kings Road was called Stanbridge (from stone bridge). It seems that these two names of the stream and the bridge, ‘Stanford Creek’ and ‘Little Chelsea Bridge’, together evolved into the name Stanford Bridge, which again later evolved into Stamford Bridge as the adopted name of the stadium. Stamford Bridge has been the home of Chelsea Football Club since the 1905 formation. It was opened as a sporting arena around April 28th 1877. For 27 years since the first time officially opened, Stamford Bridge has hosted athletics, speedway, boxing, cricket, baseball, greyhound racing, and football. The ground was initially offered to Fulham FC but they declined the offer. Then, it was decided to form a new football team. Then, in March 1905, Chelsea Football Club was born and moved into the new Stamford Bridge Stadium for the start of the season few months later. It was quickly a success with 60,000 crowd coming to the stadium in the first year. Originally, the capacity was planned to be 100,000 supporters.
Vooyagers learning Business of Football
P . 15
The ABC of Passion. Adventure, Bio Stories, and Credos of Passion.