Voice of Asia May 17 2013

Page 4



The People’s Lawyer www.peopleslawyer.net Richard M. Alderman Interim Dean of the Law Center

You can stop a debt collector from calling

Houston Community College Request for Proposals (RFP) Property and Casualty Insurance Program Services Project No. 13-35

lege (“HCC”) is soliciting sealed



qualified firms to provide Property and Casu-

A. Under a federal law, called the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, you have the right to stop all calls from a debt collector, or, to stop just calls at work. Under this law, once you notify a debt collector in writing that you want him to stop all future communication, the collector essentially must stop all calls, letters, emails and any other form of communication. He can contact you just once more to tell you what steps he will take next. If you want to continue communicating with the collector, but not at work, you can tell the collector you are not allowed to receive such calls at work, and the law says he cannot continue to call. If the debt collector violates this law, you have a claim for damages and penalties.

tion documents can be

I suggest you let the debt collector know you know about this law and expect he will stop calling. My guess is that will end the calls. If he doesn’t stop you should immediately contact the Federal Trade Commission and a private attorney.

and 4:30 PM (local time),

A. First, be sure to give your landlord a forwarding address. Assuming that you were current in your rent, gave your landlord proper notice and a forwarding address, the Texas Security Deposit Law offers you substantial protection. Under this law, a landlord must either return your security deposit or send you written notice why it is not being returned, within thirty days after you move out. If the landlord does not act within this time period, the law presumes he is acting in bad faith. If you went to small claims court to collect, you could be entitled to up to three times the deposit plus an additional $100. I also should point out that a landlord cannot just arbitrarily withhold money from your deposit. The landlord can withhold only for damages caused by a breach of the terms of the lease, and he cannot withhold for damage caused by ordinary wear and tear. If you don’t hear from your landlord within the thirty days limit, let him know you know your legal rights. My guess is that you will get back your deposit. For more information about this law, check out the landlord-tenant section on my website, www.peopleslawyer.net. Q. I was hired at a company to do their books. I found that in years past a lot of work this company did was not billed for or paid. How far back can I go in order to try to collect on this work performed? Some of the debts are ten years old. A. If someone owes the company money, the debt continues forever, or until the person who owes the money files bankruptcy. This means you can send them an invoice for obligations that are ten years old. You probably cannot, however, take steps to collect debts more than four years old through the courts. Under a law known as the statute of limitations, obligations arising from a contract cannot be enforced more than four years after they went into default. If you were to sue on these debts, the person you sued could get it dismissed, and probably collect his attorney’s fees and expenses against you. Q. My husband and I have been separated for several years. We haven’t done anything from a legal standpoint, but are planning on getting a divorce. A friend told me that my husband won a lot of money in the lottery. Do I have any right to that money? A. Based on what you say, you and your husband are still married. Being “separated” does not change your legal status as married. As a general rule, all money obtained while you are married, unless it is a gift or inheritance to just one spouse, is “community property.” This means that the money he won in the lottery is probably community property. Assuming that is the case, you both have an equal interest in the money. I suggest you promptly speak with a family law attorney about your divorce and the division of this money. Do you want to know more about your legal rights? Visit my website, www.peopleslawyer.net.


Houston Community Col-

Q. I have a debt collector calling me at work. I have told him that my employer prohibits such calls and I could lose my job. His answer was, “then you better pay me because I am not going to stop calling you.” How can I stop these calls?

Q. I am a college student and I just moved out of my apartment. I gave proper notice and left it cleaner than when I moved in. I have been told this landlord does not return security deposits. How long do I have to wait to find out if mine is being returned?

FRIDAY, May 17, 2013

alty Insurance Program Services.

The solicita-

obtained in Procurement Operations, 3100 Main

Celebration at Shirdi Sai Jalaram Mandir

Street (11th Floor), Houston, TX 77002, between the hours of 8:00 AM Monday through Friday or by calling Pam Ferreira at (713) 718-5003 or by visiting the HCC website at www.hccs.edu (Click on: Business & Community / Doing Business with HCC / Procurement / Current Bids and RFPs). A nonmandatory pre-proposal meeting will be held in

Address: 13845 W Bellfort St, Sugar Land, TX 77498 Phone:(281) 265-5580

Saturday, May 18th 2013 9:30 AM to 4 PM VSNA Houston Chapter

Site: http://www.vsna.org and https://sites.google.com/site/bsusorg/home Email: vsnahouston@gmail.com / VSNA-Houston-Committee@Googlegroups.Com Contact: [T] Jagadeesh Halyal / [P] Jyoti Biradar / [VP] Veeresha Javali PH: 832-744-4166 / 832-545-1185 / 650-773-7711

Procurement Operations, 3100 Main Street (11th Floor, Conference Room 11A07), on Tuesday, May 28, 2013, at 10:00 a.m. (local time). Sealed proposals will be received in Procurement Operations, 3100 Main Street, 11th Floor (Room No. 11A06), until 3:00 p.m. (local time)



June 26, 2013. HCC is an equal opportunity/educational institution, which does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age or disability.

COMING SOON OUR NEW WEBSITE: www.voiceofasiatvnews Complete with news and videos

CALL Voice of Asia 713-774-5140 and ask for Special Promo Rates Online. Send your amateur videos for posting on our website.

Mitra Travel & Camden Travel Travel Around the World We are consolidators for

Turkish Airlines & Asiana Airlines

We have over 21 years experience! We Are Air India Consolidators

We are Emirates and Qatar consolidators Please put call us for tailor made packages

281-530-3000 1-888-811-LESS Call us for last minute specials to India Mumbai/Delhi/Trivandrum/Ahmedabad/Hyderabad

We have daily specials to India, Pakistan and Bangladesh

Incredible India and Europe tours *We have special student fares

Specialize in Europe, China and Cruises

12375 Bissonnet Suite # B, Houston, TX 77099



We will offer special discount for tours with this ad