A N O P P O R T U N I T Y T H AT O N LY C O M E S O N C E
REVITALIZATION OF THE BROUMOV MONASTERY 2013–2014
DEVASTATION After years of neglect under the Communist regime from 1948 to 1989, the Velvet Revolution ushers in a new era for the Broumov Monastery with its restitution to the Order of Saint Benedict. The monastery is once again in the hands of owners who seek a meaningful way to use the building.
DEVASTATION By 2007 little remains of the Broumov monastic community and the monastery is mostly empty and unused. Visitor tours offer a glimpse of some of the artifacts. The Broumov Municipal Museum is still housed in part of the building. Several citizensâ€™ groups are allowed to use part of the monastery. Broumov lies far from the main tourist routes. It is in the process of searching for a path to follow.
THE PATH Part of the façade is repaired using government subsidies, but the interior of the building continues to deteriorate. The Abbey finds a reliable partner – the Broumov Regional Development Agency (APRB - a 501 (c) 3 equivalent non-profit organization) – and opens the monastery to the public for cultural and recreational events. More and more
residents and visitors of Broumov gradually discover the monastery.
Great things begin with small steps.
THE PATH • 2004 Vinum et Cetera – The first public event in the monastery, a presentation of high quality Czech and Moravian wines supported by the Wine Salon of the Czech Republic • 2006 Garden* - The monastery garden is opened to the public • 2006 Small summer theater festival – The Town of Broumov holds a weeklong theater festival in the monastery courtyard • 2008 Broumov Regional Development Center – The monastery high school is given a new use and revitalized • 2011 Craft and advent markets in the monastery garden and courtyard, University of the Third Age, Benedictine Wine Cellars – repair and revitalization of the cellars, wine tasting events • 2012 Visitors’ Center, responsibility for visitor tours, Jazz Café and Art Café, “Galerie Dům” Contemporary Art Gallery, Dientzenhofer Café offering a wide selection of refreshments in a quiet and relaxing environment
It pays to be active. HOPE Thanks to the work of the past few years, the Abbey is afforded the opportunity to apply for a subsidy to build an Educational and Cultural Center to develop and strengthen its activities to date. A CZK 250 million subsidy is awarded, which will enable reconstruction of the monastery garden and a significant part of the interior. The emerging Educational and Cultural Center is dedicated to the fine arts and environmental education. The monastery and the surrounding Benedictine cultural landscape will serve as an inspiration â€“ both as an environment and as a textbook. The Educational and Cultural Center will strengthen the role of one of the regionâ€™s key monuments, imbuing it with a rich new life and purpose.
HOPE? The monument’s status as a protected landmark has enabled the subsidy. However, the subsidy cannot be used to finance a project that would ensure the monument’s economic sustainability. We need to develop visitor accommodations within the facility, which have been designed and approved for construction but cannot be built using the subsidy.
That’s why we need your help! Help us save this unique monument and its life, for today and tomorrow. Join us in investing in our shared future.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST
THE HISTORY OF THE BROUMOV MONASTERY
HISTORY: EARLY MEDIEVAL ERA 993 Ordo Sancti Benedikti (OSB), the Order of Saint Benedict - Saint Vojtěch, the Bishop of Prague, and Boleslaus II, Duke of Bohemia, found the first monastery in Bohemia, in Břevnov near Prague. The first stone church is built in Břevnov in the 11th century. The church’s crypt has been preserved under the presentday basilica.
1213 The Benedictines settle in Policka and Broumov. Ottokar I of Bohemia gives the Benedictines of Břevnov a vast, uninhabited area in northeast Bohemia (the Broumov region).
1253 The first reliable written document about the Policka and Broumov land grant to the Břevnov monastery. A garrison is built in Broumov to ensure administration and protection of property.
HISTORY: LATE MEDIEVAL ERA 1255 The town of Broumov is founded. German settlers arrive. The market in Plhov is moved to Police nad Metují, a decree is issued by King Ottokar the II.
1301–1322 The wooden castle is reconstructed into a Gothic stone structure. The monastery church – first mentioned in 1357 – is consecrated to Saint Vojtěch. Baroque renovation of the church is initiated under Abbot Tomáš Sartoria. The most prominent builders of the day, Martin Allia of Löwenthal and Krystof and Kilian Ignac Dientzenhofer, take part in the work. The interior decoration featuring frescoes and altar paintings by V.V. Reiner and the sacred objects stored in the church are unique and valuable.
1477 The Codex Gigas, the largest handwritten book in the world, is transferred to the Broumov monastery. It was purchased by the monastery in 1295 and remained there until 1593. It was taken to Stockholm as war loot in 1648.
HISTORY: 1600 - 1900 1669 The exterior of the monastery changes in line with its growing importance and administrative and educational roles. The monastery grows and increases in size and the Church of Saint VojtÄ›ch is decorated. Two paintings depicting the monastery date from the latter half of the 17th century.
1679 A new kitchen garden is established on the north side of the monastery beyond the moat, which was a relic from the monastery garrison.
1700 Otmar Daniel Zinke is elected Abbot. He studied at the Broumov monastery high school and was one of the most significant abbots of the BĹ™evnov-Broumov Benedictines. He successfully led the Broumov monastery for 38 years. He also imparted a High Baroque style to the monastery and the Broumov region.
HISTORY: THE MODERN ERA 1918 The Austro-Hungarian Empire is broken up. The independent republic of Czechoslovakia is formed. Land reforms are announced. The Benedictine Order loses most of its land in Broumov, which is divided up and sold by the state.
1945 World War II ends. The monastic community is expelled and the German monks are deported to Bavaria.
1946 Czech-American Benedictines from the St. Procopius Abbey in Lisle, Illinois come to Broumov. They play an active role in revitalizing the monastery and the border region. A Boy Scout troop is established at the monastery.
HISTORY: THE MODERN ERA 1948 The Benedictine Order loses more of its land through revisions to the land reforms of 1918 and is left with just 69 hectares. The abbey is abolished by the Communist regime and the Benedictines, who are US citizens, are expelled from Czechoslovakia.
1950 Monasteries throughout the country are attacked and occupied. The Broumov monastery becomes an internment camp for priests and monks and later for nuns. After they are evicted the Ministry of the Interior uses the monastery as an archive and regional secret police headquarters. The Broumov Municipal Museum is also housed there (and still is). The building and garden fall into disrepair while the interior and depository are pillaged and ruined.
HISTORY: END OF THE COMMUNIST ERA The monastery is returned to the Benedictines after the revolution of 1989. The Benedictine Abbey of Saint Wenceslaus in Broumov is established as a legal entity. Abbot Anastรกz Opasek is appointed administrator of the Broumov abbey. The Broumov monastery is registered as a National Cultural Monument as a prime example of Baroque architecture.
NOTABLE FIGURES Arnošt of Pardubice (1297–1364) was the last Prague Bishop and also the first Czech Archbishop and Metropolitan. He was a friend of and advisor to Charles IV, King of Bohemia and Holy Roman Emperor. Johann Georg Adalbert Hesselius (1630–1695) became the regent of the Broumov estate in 1670. He wrote the original cartulary of the Broumov estate in 1676 – 1677. Alois Jirásek (1851–1930) was an important Czech prose-writer, playwright, and politician. He played a key role in the preparations for and declaration of Czechoslovak independence on October 28, 1918.
NOTABLE FIGURES Alois Rašín (1867–1923), lawyer, politician and economist, served as the first Finance Minister of Czechoslovakia. He and other politicians declared the independent Czechoslovak state on October 28, 1918. He drafted the country‘s first constitution. Josef Tichatschek (1807–1886) was a Czech opera singer and world renowned tenor. In 1837 he became first tenor in the Dresden Opera, where he worked with conductor Richard Wagner. Franz Stephan Rautenstrauch (1734–1785), was a Roman atholic priest and professor of canon law, philosophy and theology in Prague and Vienna. He was appointed Abbot of the Břevnov – Broumov Abbey in 1773. He firmly believed that the church should act as a servant to an enlightened state. He successfully advocated for uniform education of priests in general seminaries.
NOTABLE FIGURES Otmar Daniel Zinke (1663–1738), appointed the Břevnov – Broumov Abbot in 1700, was one of the most important Benedictine abbots. He initiated the renovation of the Břevnov monastery, the reconstruction of the Broumov monastery and the construction of Broumov's group of Baroque churches. Matthäus Ferdinand Sobek of Bílenberk OSB (1618–1675), was ordained a priest in 1639. He served as Abbot of the Monastery of Saint Nicholas in Prague. He became the first bishop of the newly founded Hradec Králové episcopacy. In 1669 he was named Archbishop of Prague. Dr. Jan Anastáz Opasek (1913–1999), priest, poet, theologian, Benedictine monk, was also later named Archabbot of the Břevnov monastery. He was recognized with a medal for fighting against Nazism. He was a founder of the Opus Bonum movement.
LITTLE KNOWN FACTS Visitors can view many of the valuable objects created or stored in the Broumov monastery through tours that are offered year-round. An original painting of the Broumov monastery from 1609 hangs in the Church of Saint VojtÄ›ch at the monastery. The monastery is depicted as a true landmark of Broumov and the surrounding landscape. A copy of the painting is located in the Church of the Virgin Mary at the Broumov cemetery. In 1999 a unique historical copy of the Holy Shroud of Turin of 1651 was discovered above the Chapel of the Holy Cross in the Church of Saint VojtÄ›ch. The repository containing the canvas also contained a document verifying its origin. It is the only copy in Central Europe north of the Alps. It is displayed in the monastery refectory and was declared a cultural monument.
LITTLE KNOWN FACTS The 17th century monastery library was part of the monastery high school. Today it can be seen on a guided tour. It holds only 17,000 volumes, a mere fraction of the original collection. Many of the books were destroyed over time. The worst destruction took place under the Communist regime. The refectory, which contains the Holy Shroud of Turin, also holds a restored chasuble and part of the funeral attire of Abbott Matthäus Ferdinand Sobek of Bílenberk. A very treasured feature is the courtyard prelature, which represents the height of Kilian Ignac Dientzenhofer’s work. A valuable Gothic fresco entitled “The Three Kings” is one of the relics attesting to the monastery’s Gothic appearance. The exterior floor plan, presbytery and supporting pillars and stone work, including a narrow single staircase only as wide as the wall itself, have been preserved. A Gothic statue of the Madonna also dates from this period.
LITTLE KNOWN FACTS During a brief period of the High Baroque, the monastery commissioned the Dientzenhofer father-and-son architectural team to design a unique and immensely valuable group of Broumov churches. Over time, particularly during the Communist regime, the interiors and exteriors of the churches suffered great damage. Today there is a strong community effort to revitalize them. The 8th annual classical music festival “Treasures of Broumov” will be held in the churches this year. The Roman Catholic Parish of Broumov is currently working on a project entitled “For the Life of Churches”.
THE ABBEY â€œDespite all of our efforts, it is not in the power of the Benedictine Order to secure repair and reconstruction of the Broumov Monastery at a level that would preserve it properly and enable it to serve its original mission, i.e. the educational and cultural development in the region. We are too few in number for such a challenging task and have very limited funding, so we welcome any form of help, for instance that which the Broumov Regional Development Agency provides through its work.â€? Prior Petr Prokop Siostrzonek, OSB
BENEDICTINE ORDER’S 800th ANNIVERSARY IN BROUMOV The 800th anniversary of the Benedictine Order’s arrival in the Broumov region is an opportunity to show how important the past is to the present. The Benedictines greatly influenced education, culture, administration and civic activities in the region. The Benedictine Order gave expression to the Broumov landscape and the lives of its inhabitants. The Broumov region will celebrate this anniversary with a rich program of events, a publication, an exhibition and an international scholarly conference.
800th anniversary of the Benedictine Order’s arrival in the Broumov region
BROUMOV REGIONAL DEVELOPMENT AGENCY The Broumov Regional Development Agency (APRB - a 501 (c) 3 equivalent non-profit organization) was founded in 2004 by Broumov businessman Jan Školník, with support from his family, to fulfill his conviction that every individual and every company is responsible for his environment. Through persistent support and work, the APRB pursues its vision of being one of the drivers of development of the Broumov region, inspiring through creative cooperation, focusing on high quality and a professional approach in its work, having courage and respect and working hard while enjoying the task at hand. The APRB’s vision has gained the support of many highly respected partners. Photo: A ceramic mosaic created by children through a project entitled “We Love Broumov” supported by the APRB.
Gold Partners of APRB:
Silver Partners of APRB:
VEBA, textilní závody a.s. Ing. Josef Novák, generální ředitel
Lesní společnost Broumov Holding, a.s. Ing. Bohuslav Šolc
Benedictine Abbey of Saint Wenceslaus in Broumov
Seco GROUP a.s.
Z - TRADE s.r.o. Ing. Zbyšek Záliš
Broumovské strojírny Hynčice, a.s. Ing. Martin Šafránek, Zdeněk Pírko
The Town of Broumov
LUTOMA s.r.o. Karel Franc
PROMA REHA, s.r.o. Zdeněk Jakubský, Radek Jakubský
Broumov Entrepreneurs’ Club
Kooperativa pojišťovna, a.s. Vienna Insurance Group Český archiv vin (Czech Wine Archive) – Petr Marek
Hradec Králové Regional Government Hradec Králové Episcopacy
Národní vinařské centrum o.p.s. (National Wine Center)
Bronze Partners of APRB:
The VIA Foundation
Ministry of Culture
Náchod and Broumov Employment Office
CEDIMA Meziměstí s.r.o. Ing. Jiří Kozák
METAL-ALIANCE Health Insurance Company Bc. Vladimír Kothera, MBA and Ing. Jiří Těhan, MBA
Dřevoterm, s.r.o. Zdeněk Pohl
PRIKNER tepelné zpracování kovů s.r.o. Ing. Otakar Prikner
ENVIROS s.r.o. Jaroslav Vích HOBRA-Školník s.r.o. Jan Školník, MBA
Stěnava EU, s.r.o. Ing. Tomáš Janák
Broumovské stavební sdružení s.r.o. ADR ateliér, INS Náchod
Treasures of Broumov Festival: Czech Coal a.s.
VK LOŽISKA, s.r.o. Ing. Jiří Borna
Raiffeisen - Leasing Real Estate, s.r.o. Česká spořitelna, a.s. Český rozhlas Hradec Králové (Czech Radio) Mladá fronta DNES newspaper Ekospol s.r.o. ENROS DSO Broumovsko (Voluntary Association of Municipalities of the Broumov Region) MAS Broumovsko+ (Broumov Region Local Action Group) Pražské jaro (Prague Spring Music Festival) Concertino Praga Stamicovo kvarteto (Stamic Quartet)
Gold Partners of APRB:
Silver Partners of APRB:
Bronze Partners of APRB:
MĚSTO POLICE NAD METUJÍ
MĚSTO TEPLICE NAD METUJÍ
A N O P P O R T U N I T Y T H AT
O N LY C O M E S O N C E
B ROUMOV MONA ST E RY E D U C AT I O N A L A N D C U LT U R A L C E N T E R Klášterní 1 5 5 0 0 1 B r o u m o v, C z e c h R e p u b l i c t: +420 491 521 283 e: email@example.com w w w. k l a s t e r - b r o u m o v. c z / v k c b
For more information please contact: Jan Školník, firstname.lastname@example.org
Professional supervision: Ing. arch. Jan Slavík Photo credits: Jan Záliš, Martin Stecker and the archives of the APRB and Benedictine Abbey.
2013 © PIN STUDIO