As temperatures begin to fall and the leaves begin to change colors, Delaware County transforms into a picturesque landscape and the perfect place to enjoy the beauty and serenity of Mother Nature.
There is no shortage of places to take in the breathtaking fall sites in Delco including Ridley Creek State Park, Tyler Arboretum, and Rose Tree Park.
Fall is also a perfect time to enjoy some of the great trails in Delaware County.
Residents and visitors can hike, bike, run or stroll the County’s Darby Creek and Chester Creek Trails, enjoy one of our twelve County parks, or take in a round of golf at Clayton Park Golf Course.
Enjoy a hayride, walk through a corn maze, pick pumpkins, and create memories this fall at Linvilla Orchards. Prefer spooky over peaceful serenity? The Bates Motel is perfect for thrill-seekers.
As the leaves begin to fall, the temperatures drop even lower and we enter the winter season, I invite residents and visitors to experience the County’s annual Festival of Lights at Rose Tree Park, and the Brandywine River Museum of Art’s “Brandywine Christmas” this winter.
On behalf of Delaware County Council, I encourage all residents to take advantage of the wide range of history, culture, and special events in our community this season. You don’t need to go far to enjoy a great meal, shop, enjoy the arts, learn about history, hike, or bike, and celebrate the fall and winter seasons. It’s all right here in Delco.
VISIT DELCO DELAWARE COUNTY, PA visitdelcopa.com
Dr. Monica Taylor Chair, Delaware County Council
Most Scenic Spots for Fall Foliage
As the days turn colder, Delco’s tree canopy puts on a spectacular display. Here’s a rundown of the best spots for fall-color fans.
Brandywine Battlefield Park
The largest battle of the American Revolution was fought here. Head to the Visitor Center to view artifacts taken from the battlefield, tour Washington and Lafayette’s quarters, or just hike through the grounds as you envision the battle taking place around you.
Brandywine River Museum of Art Wildflower and Native Plant Gardens
Inspired by the natural landscape that surrounds the Museum, the Wildflower and Native Plant Gardens extend the art outdoors, while also preserving the artists’ natural muse. Wildflowers, trees, and shrubs are carefully selected to provide a succession of bloom from early spring to frost and are planted in a setting like their natural habitat.
Glen Providence Park
Nestled in a steep valley between Media and Upper Providence, Glen Providence Park has two miles of trails that climb and weave through 33 acres. Located on prime real estate at the end of State Street in Media, it’s a picture-perfect location for an outdoor stroll after grabbing a bite to eat at one of the borough’s smart and trendy restaurants.
Hildacy Farm Preserve
Tucked away in a hilly section of Delco is this 55-acre gem of native woodlands, wetlands, meadows and streams. Part of the Natural Lands Trust, Hildacy has 3.5 miles of unpaved hiking trails that are just waiting to be explored.
Ridley Creek State Park
With more than 2,600 acres of meadows and woodlands, there’s plenty of fall landscape to explore. If you don’t feel like hiking, marvel at the leaves while catching trout in Ridley Creek. In winter, Ridley Creek State Park is a great spot for cross-country skiing, and a large grassy slope is popular with sledders.
The Scott Arboretum of Swarthmore College
The Delaware Valley’s native flora is on stunning display, along with more than 4,000 kinds of ornamental plants. In the fall, crabapples and hollies add pops of vibrant color to the leafy canopy.
John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge At Tinicum
This refuge for both animals and people invites exploration year-round, but never more so than when the leaves change. Bring a kayak or canoe to get a frontrow seat to the fall colors as you paddle down Darby Creek.
Tyler Arboretum’s diverse tree population includes giant sequoias, ginkgo trees, bald cypresses, American linden, sugar maples, white oaks, tulip trees and many more, making for a stunning canopy each fall.
Rose Tree Park
Situated on 120 acres in Upper Providence Township, this picturesque park features an outdoor amphitheater, StoryWalk, grassy rolling hills, mature trees, woodlands, a charming gazebo, picnic areas, and a retired steeplechase. The Park is a popular destination for cross country running, photography, dog walking, hawk watching and more.
DELAWARE COUNTY, PA visitdelcopa.com
With over 2,600 captivating acres of scenic trails and outdoor spaces, century-old family farms and orchards, and so much more, we’ll help you choose the setting that satisfies your personal sense of outdoor adventure.
Ridley Creek State Park
Ridley Creek State Park is a local fan favorite, thanks to endless acres of woodlands and meadows to explore and play. The creek is always stocked for fishing, while both paved and unpaved trails let you choose your outdoor adventure.
Delco Trail Mix
Fall into fun at Delaware County’s favorite family-friendly farm! This 100+-year-old farm is a seasonal mecca for locals. You can buy fresh produce or go out in the fields and pick it yourself; climb, swing and jump through the giant playground; get up close and personal with farm animals; go for a hayride or pick the perfect pumpkin; catch a trout in their pond or cut your own Christmas tree.
Connect with nature through the hiking and biking trails of Delaware County. Whether you are an experienced hiker, nature lover, or a casual walker, you’ll find many places to explore, walk, bike, hike, and even canoe and kayak. Check out the Visit Delco trail finder to discover local parks and find the perfect spot to begin your outdoor adventure.
Rose Tree Park
At the heart of every great American town is a beloved neighborhood park whose outdoor spaces offer a place to play, relax and enjoy nature. Here in Delaware County, the largest – and perhaps the busiest – is Rose Tree Park. Its expansive 120 acres allow plenty of space for all kinds of outdoor activities including, birdwatching, sledding, a StoryWalk, and more. Perhaps the most anticipated event is the Festival of Lights. A tradition for more than forty-five years, winter evenings are illuminated with dozens of lighted trees and festive displays. In addition to new lights and decorations, the hugely popular Holiday Village returns in 2022.
John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge At Tinicum
Delaware County’s real-life oasis. A lush haven made more appealing by the stark contrast of its surroundings, tucked snugly into the county’s eastern corner. Even though it is surrounded by the everyday trappings of modern life, guests can explore a labyrinth of trails— either through guided nature walks or on their own—and explore a rich diversity of native fish, wildlife, and plants.
6 VISIT DELCO DELAWARE COUNTY, PA visitdelcopa.com 7
Devon Anne Photography
Fantasically Fun Ways
To Make Memories In Delco
1. Experience history up close at Brandywine Battlefield Park. Tour Washington’s Headquarters, take in a re-enactment or just wander the grounds and appreciate the heroic acts of those first American citizens.
2. Connect with history and nature. Spend a day at the Newlin Grist Mill exploring its historic structures and 8+ miles of hiking trails.
3. Get out of the house and onto the ice. Centered around a state-of-the-art outdoor skating rink, Flight on Ice brings two family fun rinks to Delco this holiday and winter season.
4. Delco loves sports and their homegrown athletes. The Sports Legends of Delaware County Museum celebrates local figures who have achieved success at an elite level.
5. Budding astronomers can get an up-close look at the night sky at several local university observatories including Eastern University, Haverford College, Swarthmore College, and Widener University.
6. Pumpkins, mums, and apple cider donuts — it just wouldn’t be fall without a trip to Linvilla Orchards!
This time of year, many thoughts seem to turn to making a list and checking it twice. In that vein, we have compiled a list of 25 all-time favorite activities for fall and winter. Whether you are planning on visiting for a weekend and want to know the fun spots locals love or, live here year-round and think you’ve done everything there is to do – this list is for you. Several ideas are perfect for kids, others are better suited for a quiet rendezvous or creative date night, but all are guaranteed to be a break from the routine and provide lifelong memories. Whatever the occasion, this list proves there is absolutely something here for everyone!
7. Grab your binoculars and do some birdwatching at the John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge At Tinicum, or....
8. ...if you prefer eagles and birdies of another type, grab your clubs, and play a round at one of Delco’s public golf courses.
9. Start your holiday season on the right track at the Brandywine River Museum of Art’s annual magical train display during “Brandywine Christmas.”
10. Get in touch with your creative side and visit an exhibit (or sign up for a class!) at Community Arts Center, Darlington Arts Center, Main Line Art Center, Media Arts Council, or Wayne Art Center.
11. Honor our servicemen and women on Veterans Day by attending Media’s Veterans Day Parade. Learn more about their personal stories and sacrifice at the Delaware County Veterans Memorial and Pennsylvania Veterans Museum.
12. Let the good times roll! You can find a bowling alley in almost every corner of Delco: Bowlero, MacDade Bowl, Playhouse Lanes and Sproul Lanes.
13. Bring your mountain bike and pedal through Ridley Creek State Park’s 2,600 acres on a five-mile paved bike trail that meanders through gentle hills, shaded woods and along the creek.
14. Leave your 21st century conveniences behind and experience life in Delaware County as it was more than 200 years ago with a visit to the Colonial Pennsylvania Plantation.
15. Lace up your skates and hit the ice at these great familyfriendly rinks: IceWorks, Skatium, and Springfield Ice Skating Rink.
16. Play at Harrah’s Philadelphia Casino & Racetrack which is not only a 5/8-mile harness racetrack, but also a gaming casino. You can bet on the horses from April thorough December, play the slots yearround or enjoy live music, darts, arcade games, and spirited drinks at O’Sheas.
17. Don’t be a Scrooge...get in the Christmas spirit at the Hedgerow Theatre’s production of A Christmas Carol.
18. Explore the past and learn about local history throughout Delaware County. The Delaware County Historical Society Research Library and Museum hosts a variety of permanent and rotating educational exhibits.
19. Find your groove and enjoy some live music at: 118 North, Lansdowne Folk Club, Jamey’s House of Music, WaR3house3, and the Tower Theater.
20. Experience stories of courage, heroism and sacrifice at sites that served vital roles during the Underground Railroad with the Upper Darby Underground Railroad Tour.
21. Whether it’s a beloved classic or an edgy new play, that buzz before the curtain rises is contagious. Delco is home to several theaters: Colonial Playhouse, Hedgerow Theatre, Media Theatre, Players Club of Swarthmore, and Upper Darby Performing Arts Center, so it’s easy to plan a great night out.
22. Don’t settle for visions of sugarplums dancing through your head – see the fairy herself at Upper Darby Performing Arts Center’s production of The Nutcracker
23. Visit the Annual Festival of Lights and Holiday Village at Rose Tree Park.
24. Take in a game. Subaru Park is home to Major League Soccer’s Philadelphia Union but also hosts several sporting events and tournaments such as the Army/Navy Cup, Collegiate Rugby Championship, and the Premier Lacrosse League.
25. Enjoy the beauty of symphonic music. Whether you’re a seasoned concert goer or new to the orchestral music scene, Delaware County Symphony, Lansdowne Symphony Orchestra and Orchestra Concordia are sure to deliver memorable performances.
8 VISIT DELCO DELAWARE COUNTY, PA visitdelcopa.com 9
Photo: Jill Wellington from Pexels
Celebrate The Season Historic Grange Estate Christmas 10 Hedgerow
Carol features festive events like Brandywine River Museum of Art’s ‘Brandywine Christmas’, Rose Tree Park’s Festival of Lights & Holiday Village, handcrafted holiday sales and much more! Get in 11 and Fun/Run Walk RoseTreeParkFestivalof Lights&HolidayVillage CommunityArtsCenter: FineHolidaySaleofCraft&Pottery in Delaware County
A Stay for Every Style
Conveniently located along the I-95 corridor, Delaware County offers city sophistication with countryside serenity, hosting a diverse mix of accommodations that make calling it a day as special as the day itself.
From world-class hotels to 18th century B&Bs, explore the one-of-a-kind stays and traditional comforts before you plan your weekend getaway.
Airport Waterfront Inn Essington
Best Western Plus Concordville Glen Mills
Best Western Plus Philadelphia Airport S at Widener University Chester
Brandywine River Hotel Chadds Ford
Brinton Hotel and Suites West Chester
Candlewood Suites Chester
Clarion Hotel Philadelphia International Airport Essington
Comfort Inn & Suites Glen Mills
Comfort Inn Philadelphia Airport W Chester
Courtyard by MarriottPhiladelphia Springfield
Days Inn by Wyndham Chester
Days Inn by Wyndham Philadelphia Airport Springfield
Delta Hotel Philadelphia Airport Philadelphia
Fairfield Inn & Suites Philadelphia/Broomall Broomall
Hampton Inn & Suites Glen Mills
VISIT DELCO DELAWARE COUNTY, PA visitdelcopa.com
Hampton Inn & Suites Media
Hillside Motel Glen Mills
Hilton Garden Inn Radnor Newtown Square
Holiday Inn & Suites Philadelphia W Drexel Hill
Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia Airport Essington
Home2 Suites by Hilton Glen Mills
Home2 Suites by Hilton Ridley Park Inn at Swarthmore, The Swarthmore
Inn at Villanova University, The Wayne
La Quinta Inn & Suites Philadelphia Airport Essington
McIntosh Inn Media Media Inn & Suites Media
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Philadelphia Airport Ridley Park
Motel 6 Philadelphia Airport Philadelphia
Parkway Inn Springfield
Radnor Hotel, The Wayne
Red Carpet Inn Philadelphia Airport Lester
Red Roof PLUS+ Philadelphia Airport Essington
Residence Inn by Marriott Philadelphia Glen Mills
Springhill Suites by Marriott Philadelphia Airport Ridley Park
Staybridge Suites Wilmington/ Brandywine Valley Glen Mills
Summit Inn Hotel Upper Darby
Travelodge by Wyndham Philadelphia Airport Essington
Trolley Stop Motel Media
Wayne Hotel Wayne Wyndham Garden Hotel Philadelphia Airport Essington
Alpenhof Bed & Breakfast Media
Gifford-Risley House, The Bed & Breakfast Media
Inn at Grace Winery, The Bed & Breakfast Glen Mills
Savor All the Flavors of Delco
If there’s one thing that Delaware County knows, it’s great food. Whatever the foodie in you craves – comfort foods, a delectable donut, pizza, a steaming cup of coffee, and more – Delco has it.
Family Fresh Markets
They’ve been there through thick and thin for, in some cases, more than 150 years. They source from local farms, purveyors, and artisans to bring fresh and often organic foods to our neighborhoods. They know our name, and it’s likely they knew us as a kid, too. They’re our local family markets, stalwarts of our communities.
Delco Knows Pizza
Delco denizens are as fierce about their pizza as they are about their cheesesteaks and beer. In fact, we’ve been known to pair a big slice with a beer and a side of cheesesteaks now and again. Our must-try pizza joints span every style, from good ol’ cheese to a throwback with everything, an upsidedown pizza to one made with your own reserved dough.
Cozy Comfort Foods
You know you want them: comfort foods! Maybe that’s because it’s cold outside, or you have a cold, or it’s a family tradition, or just because. We like that last reason … just because they fill your tummy with the comforting foods you grew up loving on in every corner of Delco.
We’ve been known to frequently say, “Gotta have a Wawa!” However, we also love to tuck into a local coffee shop or cafe and relax over a cup, a nibble, or we grab some to go. The next time you’re feeling the need for caffeine — or not, decaf drinkers! — plus a baked good, sandwich, smoothie, breakfast special … the list is vast … check into a Delco shop.
Donut? Doughnut? Spell it however you’d like — we’re obsessed just the same. There’s something magical about a donut because it conjures up childhood memories, from simple store-bought cake donuts as after-school treats to taped-shut cake boxes bursting with hand-chosen donuts from a favorite bakery. When you’re surrounded by Delco’s best donut-producing bakeries, that magical feeling never ends!
14 VISIT DELCO DELAWARE COUNTY, PA visitdelcopa.com 15
Drink Up & Wine Down
Local Breweries & Wineries
Delco’s famous craft beer scene is known for its skillful hops handlers and venturesome flavors, but the toasts don’t stop there. From five-star restaurants where world-class spirits meet seasonal plates to gorgeous vineyards featuring award-winning wines and local breweries with dozens of full-flavored, handcrafted beers, Happy Hour is a true experience here in Delco.
COUNTY, PA visitdelcopa.com
Ship Bottom Brewery 5 Park Avenue Swarthmore,
Brewing Co. The Arsenal 4221 Ferne Boulevard Drexel
Iron Hill Brewery & Restaurant 30 E. State Street Media, PA
Town Tap by Conshohocken Brewing Co. 13 W. Benedict Avenue
Sterling Pig Brewery 609 W. State Street Media,
2SP Brewing Company 120 Concord Road #101-103 Aston, PA
Penns Wood Winery 124 Beaver Valley Road Chadds
PA 19317 Vino Bambino 848 Sussex Boulevard, Suite C Broomall, PA 19008 John Robert Cellars 301 Wanamaker Avenue Essington, PA 19029 Grace Winery 50 Sweetwater Road Glen Mills, PA 19342 Four Fingers Brewing Co. 4500 Aston Mills Road Aston, PA 19014 The Larimer Beer Company 15 Engle Street Chester, PA 19013 McKenzie Brew House 451 Wilmington West Chester Pike Glen Mills, PA 19342 COMING SOON!
PA 19081 Artillery
Havertown, PA 19083
Something for All Seasons
From spooktacular festivals and huge pumpkin patches to trails illuminated in vibrant foliage, experience the magic as autumn takes over Delaware County.
Army/Navy Soccer Cup Bates Motel
Brandywine Battlefield Park’s Patriots Day
Colonial Pennsylvania Plantation’s Lantern Ghost Tours Delco Arts Week
Great Pumpkin Carve
Linvilla Orchards’ Pumpkinland Marcus Hook Pirate Festival
Media Restaurant Week
Upper Darby International Festival
Feel the magic of the season with a flurry of holiday activities from dazzling tree lightings to elaborate train displays and Broadway-caliber shows. Bundle up and make some warm memories in Delco.
Brandywine River Museum of Art’s Brandywine Christmas Christmas at Historic Grange Estate
Hedgerow Theatre’s A Christmas Carol
Ice skating at Flight on Ice’s Rinks in Chester and Edgmont
John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge At Tinicum’s Groundhog Day Festival
Rose Tree Park Festival of Lights & Holiday Village
Nothing says springtime like an outdoor adventure on a rocky trail, a wine tasting in the vineyard, or a stroll through the beautiful gardens and arboreta while Delco is in full bloom.
Brandywine River Museum of Art Studio Tours
Delaware County Juneteenth Celebration Delco Day
Dining Under the Stars Live Harness Racing at Harrah’s Philadelphia
Linvilla Orchards’ Bunnyland Philadelphia Union Games at Subaru Park
Wayne Art Center Plein Air Festival Wayne Music Festival
VISIT DELCO DELAWARE COUNTY, PA visitdelcopa.com
No matter how hot it gets in PA, the coolest summer getaway is here in Delco. Discover all of our exciting events and fun ways to beat the heat.
Community Arts Center Tie Dye Music Festival
Haverford Concert in the Park Series
Kayaking through John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge At Tinicum
Linvilla Orchards, Pick-Your-Own
Rose Tree Park Summer Festival
Tyler Arboretum’s Butterfly House & Pollinator Paradise
Upper Darby Summer Stage
visitdelcopa.com 1501 N Providence Road, Media, PA 19063 (610) 565-3679 email@example.com