NSVCC NEWSLETTER FOR OCT 2017
NORTH SHORE BRANCH (VCC)
NORTH SHORE BRANCH OF THE VINTAGE CAR CLUB OF NEW ZEALAND. MAGAZINE
‘PROGRESS’ Club Address:
40 Masons Rd, Albany
Editors E-Mail Address: email@example.com Club Nights: Every Wed from 7.30pm. Restoration Shed: Every Tuesday &Thursday Mornings 9am - 12pm Committee Meetings: Last Monday of the Month, 7.30pm (All Reports Email to Editor Within 2 days of meeting please)
First Sunday of the Month (2 – 5pm)
Club Open Days:
3rd Wed of the Month. Club Runs: Normally 1pm Start, 3rd Sun. of month. Always check the ‘coming event’s page, or elsewhere in Magazine, for information regarding these events. NSVCC Website: www.vintagecarclub-northshore.co.nz And firstname.lastname@example.org Ladies Night:
The COMMITTEE Chairman Vice Chairman Secretary: Treasurer: Club/Capt: Assist. Club/Capt
Paul Collins Kevin Lord Maurice Whitham Ross Moon Neil Beckenham Andrew Lloyd
09 4220500 09 4139157 09 627-0310 09 4261508 09 426-5831 027 7190003
0272922204 027 2350142 027 2969293 (Note Change) 021 588536
COMMITTEE Members: John Tombs Clive Sandham Alistair Reynolds John Higham Barry Thomson Brian Cullen (Editor) ISSUE NUMBER: 467
09 4785677 09 486-6047 09 4182921 09 4787973 09 9590206 09 4434912 MONTH:
027 3785590 021 903548 027 4760775
NSVCC COMING EVENTS: Oct 31 Club Run (NOTE-----TUES) Nov (TBA) Dec (TBA) OTHER EVENTS: 2017 *= Petrolhead for details SMALES FARM CAR SHOWâ€”Last Sun of each month. 2-3 Dec Vintage Fields Vintage & Classic Show (Thames)
New member: 1 Welcome to new member----- Roger Munro 2
A report is to be presented to the committee on a possible site for the Proposed new sheds, prior to submitting the proposal to the Membership. Peter Lloyd is to look at a 1972 Ford Series D fire truck. This has been offered to the club at no cost to us.
1940 Buick 46C Convertible, 2 Door,
CLUB RUNS We have arranged a ladies Day Run on October 31st (Halloween day), yes a Tuesday. Our reasoning for the Tuesday run is that we are well aware of the traffic problems that occur on Sundays. This run is planned to take us to Matakohe where we will visit two Historic Homesteads. We will leave the club rooms at 9 a.m. and drive north via State Highway 16. Morning tea/coffee is on route. We will visit one property and then have lunch at the Matakohe House Café and after lunch visit the 2nd house and then return home. There is a small admission charge to visit these wonderful homesteads. November’s run is a visit to a car collection in Onehunga. This is being organized by John Tombs and promises to be a great day out. Details to follow. December’s Christmas function will start with a short local scatter run and finish with a pot luck dinner at the club rooms. Details to follow.
LADIES DAY RUN
Tuesday 31st October Depart club rooms:
Visit: Matakohe Historical Homes Lunch at Matakohe House Café. Treat your lady to a special day out. Come and see these magnificent historical properties.
Chairman’s Report September/October 2017 September was another busy month again for me as usual. At the beginning of the month, I attended Auckland branch’s Film evening along with a gathering of Auckland branch members and had an enjoyable evening’s entertainment. The following weekend we had our own Branch Film and Night and Pot Luck dinner” . A film selection was provided by John Campbell, and we were entertained with some cartoons and news reels before the main feature—a comedy starring Norman Wisdom. Although only a smaller gathering, everyone had a great time and lovely dinner. Those who did not attend missed out on a great social evening’s entertainment. The next event for the month was our Annual Spring Tour, this year travelling north for a change. Departing on Friday morning from the clubrooms, 15 vehicles (35 members) travelled to Wellsford for a morning tea stop, then onward through Maungaturoto to Matakohe for lunch and Museum visit. Dargaville was our first night’s destination, with an afternoon River Boat cruise, followed by Dinner at the Kaipara vintage Machinery Club. What a great set up they have here. Thank you to them for the lovely dinner and evening entertainment. Saturday morning took many of us on the Rail Cart Ride. This was quite eventful with a lead cart breakdown, but despite a shower of rain passing over we all enjoyed the trip. After lunch we visited The Kumara Box where we were entertained by Ernie, giving us a show in his Theatre, then a visit through the Marine Museum on site. From here we travelled to Kaihu visiting Nelson’s Kauri Craft shop, before continuing on to Omapere, our overnight stop. Dinner at the Copthorne was most enjoyable. Sunday morning saw us depart southwards to visit the Labyrinth, a shop with assortments of puzzles of every description, including a maze to wander through. Some even made a purchase or two. From here we returned to Dargaville for lunch, and then paid a visit to a fantastic private Motorcycle collection. A few people stopped off to look at some mosaic work done by John & Pat Cambells grandson in Dargaville, before heading for home. What a great weekend we all had. October club run is to a local car collection. – See advert elsewhere in the Magazine Enjoy the Warmer weather and longer hours of daylight now that Daylight Saving has arrived. Happy motoring to all. Paul
The Willys Jeep--The Willys MB (commonly known as a Jeep or jeep, formally as the U.S. Army Truck, 1/4 ton, 4x4) and the Ford GPW are four-wheel drive utility vehicles that were manufactured during World War II. Produced from 1941 to 1945, it evolved post-war into the civilian Jeep CJ, and inspired both an entire category of recreational 4WDs and several generations of military light utili Willys MA jeep at the Desert Training Center, Indio, California, June 1942ty vehicles.
Marmon-Herrington converted called the "Grandfather of the Jeep".
Ford 1/2 ton truck, sometimes
The Bantam No. 1 "Blitz Buggy The Ford Pygmy at the U.S. Veterans Memorial Museum.
.Advances in early 20th-century technology resulted in widespread mechanisation of the military during World War I. The United States Army deployed four-wheel drive trucks in that war, supplied by Four Wheel Drive Auto Company (FWD) and the Thomas B. Jeffery Company. By the eve of World War II the United States Department of War had determined it needed a light, cross-country reconnaissance vehicle. Anxious to have one in time for America's entry into World War II, the U.S. Army solicited proposals from domestic automobile manufacturers for a replacement for its existing, aging light motor vehicles, mainly motorcycles and sidecars, and some Ford Model T's. MarmonHerrington presented five 4×4 Fords in 1937, and American Bantam delivered three Austin roadsters in 1938. Recognizing the need to create standard specifications, the Army formalized its requirements on July 11, 1940, and submitted them to 135 U.S. automotive manufacturers.By now the war was under way in Europe, so the Army's need was urgent and demanding: Bids were to be received by July 22, a span of just eleven days. Manufacturers were given 49 days to submit their first prototype and 75 days for completion of 70 test vehicles. The Army's Ordnance Technical Committee specifications were equally demanding: the vehicle would be four-wheel drive, have a crew of three on a wheelbase of no more than 75 in (1,905 mm) – that was later upped to 80 in (2,032 mm) – and track no more than 47 in (1,194 mm), feature a fold-down windshield, 660 lb (299 kg) payload and be powered by an engine capable of 85 lb·ft (115 N·m) of torque.
The most daunting demand, however, was an empty weight of no more than 1,300 lb (590 kg).Initially, only American Bantam Car Company and Willys-Overland Motors entered the competition; Ford Motor Company joined later. Though Willys-Overland was the low bidder, Bantam received the bid, being the only company committing to deliver a pilot model in 49 days and production examples in 75. Under the leadership of designer Karl Probst, Bantam built their first prototype, dubbed the "Blitz Buggy" (and in retrospect "Old Number One"), and delivered it to the Army vehicle test center at Camp Holabird, Maryland on September 23, 1940. This presented Army officials with the first of what eventually evolved into the World War II U.S. Army Jeeps: the Willys MB and Ford GPW.Since Bantam did not have the production capacity or fiscal stability to deliver on the scale needed by the War Department, the other two bidders, Ford and Willys, were encouraged to complete their own pilot models for testing. The contract for the new reconnaissance car was to be determined by trials. As testing of the Bantam prototype took place from September 27 to October 16, Ford and Willys technical representatives present at Holabird were given ample opportunity to study the vehicle's performance. Moreover, in order to expedite production, the War Department forwarded the Bantam blueprints to Ford and Willys, claiming the government owned the design. Bantam did not dispute this move due to its precarious financial situation. By November 1940, Ford and Willys each submitted prototypes to compete with the Bantam in the Army's trials. The pilot models, the Willys Quad and the Ford Pygmy, turned out very similar to each other and were joined in testing by Bantam's entry, now evolved into a Mark II called the BRC 60. By then the U.S. and its armed forces were already under such pressure that all three cars were declared acceptable and orders for 1,500 units per company were given for field testing. At this time it was acknowledged the original weight limit (which Bantam had ignored) was unrealistic, and it was raised to 2,160 lb (980 kg). For these respective pre-production runs, each vehicle received revisions and a new name. Bantam's became the BRC 40. Production began on March 31, 1941, with a total of 2,605 built up to December 6 As the company could not meet the Army's demand for 75 Jeeps a day, production contracts were also awarded to Willys and to Ford. The Army's new Âź-ton truck was rigorously tested for proving.After reducing the vehicle's weight by 240 pounds, Willys changed the designation to "MA" for "Military" model "A". The Fords went into production as "GP", with "G" for a "Government" type contract and "P" commonly used by Ford to designate any passenger car with a wheelbase of 80 in (2,032 mm). By July 1941, the War Department desired to standardize and decided to select a single manufacturer to supply them with the next order for 16,000 vehicles. Willys won the contract mostly due to its more powerful engine (the "Go Devil"), which soldiers raved about, and its lower cost and silhouette. The design features in the Bantam and Ford entries which represented an improvement over Willys's design were then incorporated into the Willys car, moving it from an "A" designation to "B", thus the "MB" nomenclature. Most notable was a flat wide hood, adapted from Ford GP.By October 1941, it became apparent Willys-Overland could not keep up with the production demand and Ford was contracted to produce them as well.
The Ford car was then designated GPW, with the "W" referring to the "Willys" licensed design. During World War II, Willys produced 363,000 Jeeps and Ford some 280,000. Approximately 51,000 were exported to the U.S.S.R. under the Lend-Lease program. A further roughly 13,000 amphibian jeeps were built by Ford under the name GPA (nicknamed "Seep" for Sea Jeep). Inspired by the larger DUKW, the vehicle was produced too quickly and proved to be too heavy, too unwieldy, and of insufficient freeboard. In spite of participating successfully in the Sicily landings in July 1943, most GPAs were routed to the U.S.S.R. under the Lend-Lease program. The Soviets were sufficiently pleased with its ability to cross rivers to develop their own version of it after the war, the GAZ-46. One account of the origin of the term "jeep" begins when the prototypes were being proven at military bases. The term "jeep" was used by Army mechanics for any untried or untested vehicles. "Jeep" was also used for several types of heavier equipment. In the armor branch, "jeep" generally referred to a 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck, with the 1/4 ton called a "peep". The militarized Minneapolis-Moline tractor was known as a "jeep", named for the cartoon character. Finally, heavy equipment transporters -gooseneck lowbed trucks for oversize, overweight cargoes, were known as "jeeps" by 1940. Although folk etymology claims that it was due to slurring of an unused acronym, "GP" for "General Purpose", a more likely part of the jeep name came from the fact that the vehicle made quite an impression on soldiers at the time, so much so that they informally named it after Eugene the Jeep, a character in the Thimble Theatre comic strip and cartoons created by E. C. Segar as early as mid-March 1936. Eugene the Jeep was Popeye's "jungle pet" and was "small, able to move between dimensions and could solve seemingly impossible problems". In early 1941, Willys-Overland staged a press event in Washington, D.C., having the car demonstrate its prowess by driving up the Capitol steps. Irving "Red" Hausmann, a test driver on the Willys development team who had accompanied the car for its testing at Camp Holabird, had heard soldiers there referring to it as a jeep. He was enlisted to go to the event and give a demonstration ride to a group of dignitaries, including Katherine Hillyer, a reporter for the Washington Daily News. When asked by the reporter, Hausmann said "it's a Jeep". Hillyer's article appeared in the newspaper on February 20, 1941, with a photo showing a jeep going up the Capitol steps and a caption including the term "jeep". This is believed to be the most likely origin of the term being fixed in public awareness. Even though Hausmann did not create or invent the word "Jeep", he very well could be the one most responsible for its first news media usage. Ford's stamped nine-slot steel grille design on a 1945 Willys. Willys made its first 25,000 MB Jeeps with a welded flat iron "slat" radiator grille. It was Ford who first designed and implemented the now familiar and distinctive stamped, vertical-slot steel grille into its Jeep vehicles, which was
lighter, used fewer resources, and was less costly to produce. Along with many other design features innovated by Ford, this was adopted by Willys and implemented into the standard World War II Jeep by April 1942. In order to be able to get their grille design trademarked, Willys gave their post-war jeeps seven slots instead of the original Ford nine-slot design. Through a series of corporate takeovers and mergers, AM General Corporation ended up with the rights to use the sevenslot grille as well, which they in turn extended to Chrysler when it acquired American Motors Corporation, then manufacturer of Jeep, in 1987.
Willys MB used by former Philippine President Ramon Magsaysay Post-war 1946 Willys CJ-2A After the war Ford unsuccessfully sued Willys for the rights to the term "Jeep", leaving Willys with full rights to the name. From 1945 onwards, Willys took its four-wheel drive vehicle to the public with its CJ (Civilian Jeep) versions, making these the first massproduced 4x4 civilian vehicles. In 1948, the U.S. Federal Trade Commission agreed with American Bantam that the idea of creating the Jeep was originated and developed by the American Bantam in collaboration with some U.S. Army officers. The commission forbade Willys from claiming, directly or by implication, that it had created or designed the Jeep, and allowed it only to claim that it contributed to the development of the vehicle. However, American Bantam went bankrupt by 1950, and Willys was granted the "Jeep" trademark in 1950.The first CJs were essentially the same as the MB, except for such alterations as vacuum-powered windshield wipers, a tailgate (and therefore a side-mounted spare tire), and civilian lighting. Also, the civilian jeeps had amenities like naugahyde seats, chrome trim, and were available in a variety of colors. Mechanically, a heftier T-90 transmission replaced the Willys MB's T84 in order to appeal to the originally considered rural buyer demographic. Dutch Army M38A1 M606 in Colombia
Willys-Overland and its successors, Willys Motors and Kaiser Jeep supplied the U.S. military as well as many allied nations with military jeeps through the late 1960s. In 1950, the first post-war military jeep, the M38 (or MC), was launched, based on the 1949 CJ-3A. In 1953, it was quickly followed by the M38A1 (or MD), featuring an all-new "round-fendered" body in order to clear the also new, taller, Willys Hurricane engine. This jeep was later developed into the CJ-5 launched in 1955. Similarly, its ambulance version, the M170 (or MDA), featuring a 20-inch wheelbase stretch, was later turned into the civilian CJ-6. Before the CJ-5, Willys offered the public a cheaper alternative with the taller F-head engine in the form of the CJ-3B, a CJ-3A body with a taller hood. This was quickly turned into the M606 jeep (mostly used for export, through 1968) by equipping it with the available heavy-duty options such as larger tires and springs, and by adding black-out lighting, olive drab paint, and a trailer hitch. After 1968, and -A3 versions of the CJ-5 were created in a similar way for friendly foreign governments. Licenses to produce CJ-3Bs were issued to manufacturers in many different countries, and some, such as the Mahindra corporation in India, continue to produce them in some form or another to this day. The French army, for instance, produced its Willys MB by buying the Willys license to enable the manufacture of their Hotchkiss M201. The Mitsubishi Jeep started as a license produced CJ-3B The compact military jeep continued to be used in the Korean and Vietnam Wars. In Korea, it was mostly deployed in the form of the MB, as well as the M38 and M38A1 (introduced in 1952 and 1953), its direct descendants. In Vietnam, the most used jeep was the then newly designed Ford M151, which featured such state-of-the-art technologies as a unibody construction and all around independent suspension with coil-springs. Apart from the mainstream ofâ€”by today's standardsâ€”relatively small jeeps, an even smaller vehicle was developed for the US Marines, suitable for airlifting and manhandling, the M422 "Mighty Mite". Eventually, the U.S. military decided on a fundamentally different concept, choosing a much larger vehicle that not only took over the role of the jeep, but also replaced all other light military wheeled vehicles: the HMMWV ("Humvee"). The Canadian Army took delivery of 195 militarized versions of the CJ-7 in the early 1980s. These were put into service as a stop gap measure between the retirement of the M38A1 and the introduction of the Iltis. They were codified by the Canadian Forces with the Equipment Configuration Code (ECC) Number 121526. In 1991, the Willys-Overland Jeep MB was designated an International Historic Mechanical Engineering Landmark by the American Society of Mechanical Engineers.
Filipino JeepneyWhen American troops began to leave the Philippines at the end of World War II, hundreds of surplus jeeps were sold or given to local Filipinos. The Filipinos stripped down the jeeps to accommodate several passengers, added metal roofs for shade, and decorated the vehicles with vibrant colors and bright chrome hood ornaments. The Jeepney rapidly emerged as a popular and creative way to reestablish inexpensive public transportation, which had been virtually destroyed during World War II. Recognizing the widespread use of these vehicles, the Philippine government began to place restrictions on their use. Drivers now must have specialized licenses, regular routes, and reasonably fixed fares. Argentinian Autoar Starting in 1950, a Jeep-engined utility vehicle was produced by Autoar in Argentina. Starting from 1951, a new sedan was introduced using the same 2199 cc Jeep engine and manual transmission. It was fitted with overdrive to compensate for the Jeep’s low axle ratio. In 1952, a new overhead valve 3-litre six-cylinder was announced, but was probably never built. At that time, Piero Dusio returned to Italy. In the 1950s, production was sporadic, and models built included a station wagon with a Jeep-type 1901 cc engine. Commemorative edition:In 2004 and 2005 Chrysler produced approximately 1,000 Willys Special Edition Jeep Wranglers. Production Model Year Number built Bantam pilot 1940 1 Bantam Mk II / BRC-60 1940 70 Ford Pygmy 1940 1 Ford Budd 1940 1 Willys Quad 1940 2 Bantam BRC-40 1941 2,605 Ford GP 1941 4,456 Willys MA 1941 1,553 Willys MB 1941–1945 361,339 (335,531 + 25,808 "slats") Ford GPW 1942–1945 277,896 World War II Total 1940–1945 647,925 Other Ford GPA "Seep" 1942–1943 12,778 Post-war Willys M38 (MC) 1950–1952 61,423 Willys M38A1 (MD) 1952–1957 101,488 Willys M606 (CJ-3B) 1953–1968 ? (part of 155,494 CJ-3Bs produced) Willys M170 1954–1964 6,500
1948 Bentley Mark VI 2-Door James Young Coupe
Here we have an exceedingly handsome and especially rare coachbuilt 1948 Bentley Mark VI. Its handcrafted body was designed and built by James Young Ltd—one of the most prestigious of British coachbuilders. Founded in 1863, the venerable firm first bodied a Bentley in 1921, and turned out its last for the marque in 1968. The story of this 1948 Mark VI's attractive coachwork begins in 1939. That year, James Young Ltd debuted a very similar 4-1/4 Bentley coupe featuring sharply defined “razoredge” lines. Its side-windows were encased in quite narrow frames and separated by a very thin center pillar (the appearance was similar to that of a later two-door hardtop, windows up). The striking James Young car won top honors at a prominent 1939 concours. Soon after, World War II erupted, ending Bentley car production for the duration. After peace returned, James Young Ltd adapted its acclaimed razor-edge coupe design to the post-war Bentley Mark VI chassis. However, the era of the custom-order handcrafted automobile was by then waning. Most of the 4,946 Mark VI cars produced between l946 and 1952 would use the standard mass-produced 4-door Saloon body designed by Bentley. Relatively few Mark VI chassis were equipped with genuine coachbuilt bodies, and among that elite group were the very small number of Mark VI James Young “2-door Sport Saloon” coupes constructed—of which we are pleased to offer this surviving example.
Founded by W. O. Bentley in 1919, the marque bearing his name quickly became famous for its potent competition models. Twelve years later, in the midst of the Great Depression, Rolls Royce acquired W. O.'s financially troubled company. In 1933, a new Bentley emerged. It was a top-notch and very civilized high-performance machine that its maker quite justly advertised as, “The Silent Sports Car.” For 1936, Bentley introduced its “4-1/4 Litre” chassis, powered by a higher performance version of the contemporary 4.3-liter Rolls Royce 25/30 series engine. The Bentley 4-1/4 would be remembered by aficionados as “one of the most pleasing pre-war touring cars.” After World War II ended, the pre-war Bentley was further refined before being reintroduced in late 1946 as the Mark VI. Designed for the owner-driver of means, the Mark VI attracted discerning buyers worldwide with its pleasing combination of impressive performance and traditional luxuries. The 120-inch wheelbase Mark VI benefited from its front coil-spring independent suspension. The firmness of the rear leaf spring's hydraulic dampers (shock absorbers) was adjustable from the steering wheel center. A pedal-operated system lubricated the suspension's moving parts from a central reservoir. The four-wheel drum brakes had mechanical servo assist. Retaining the 4257cc displacement of the 4-1/4, the Mark VI engine adapted an F-head layout, with overhead inlet and side exhaust, valves. Equipped with twin side-draft SU carburetors, the Mark VI powerplant produced an estimated 125 horsepower. The transmission was a 4-speed fully synchronized manual design. Road testers found the Mark VI capable of cruising at 90-95 mph—and noted the car could move off smoothly in top gear from as low as six mph. This very special and genuinely rare coachbuiit Bentley Mark VI presents nicely and runs well. Its beautiful and regal dark green paint has very recently been redone. The blackwall tires, which are appropriate to the car, are of less recent vintage. Inside, the Bentley is freshly and correctly trimmed in tan leather. The lovely wood instrument board shows some age-related patina and retains the factory-issue Smiths instruments and 8-day clock. A period push-button radio is located at lower center. In the rear compartment, twin fold-down wooden trays, beautifully finished, are provided. The metal sunroof overhead stands ready to add to the car's open, spacious feel. Our offered Mark VI is fully equipped for touring with auxiliary road lamps and accessory turn signals (in addition to its original semaphore “trafficators”). The period correct dual exterior rearview mirrors greatly aid rear vision. The car is also equipped with a windscreen washer, with original glass reservoir. With its iconic Bentley radiator grille, razor-edge body styling and elegant hardtop-type roof design, this remarkably rare and superbly elegant coachbuilt Mark VI will turn heads wherever it appears. And, since the Classic Car Club of America recognizes all Bentleys manufactured from 1919 to 1948 as Classics, this splendid Mark VI is eligible for CCCA tours and events.
1980 Clenet Factory Built
A unique 1913 Stevens-Duryea Model C-Six, heads to auction in Philadelphia
By 1913, Stevens-Duryea had established itself as one of Americaâ€™s finest automakers, selling touring cars and limousines at prices comparable to marques like Pierce-Arrow and Packard. Just 1,000 automobiles were built by Stevens-Duryea in 1913, and of these, less than 10 are said to remain. The distinction of never having been restored by past owners, and on October 2 this incredibly preserved specimen will cross the block in Philadelphia.
In 1913, Stevens-Duryea significantly revised its product line, dropping its four-cylinder engine entirely and compressing the range of inline-six engines from two to one, a 460-cu.in. L-head unit rated at 44.6 horsepower. As in 1912, cars were built on both long- and short-wheelbase platforms, but for 1913 the smaller cars grew from 128-inches to 131-inches, while the larger cars shrank from 142-inches to 138-inches. The model lineup was simplified as well, with the C-Six replacing the Model AA, Model X, and Model Y. In short-wheelbase form, C-Six buyers could choose between five-passenger touring, roadster, coupelet, convertible phaeton, demiberline, limousine and berline body styles, while those opting for the larger model could choose between seven-passenger touring, convertible phaeton, limousine, and berline bodies. George Vanderbilt owned a longwheelbase 1913 Stevens-Duryea C-Six sevenpassenger touring, and may have been one of the first to trade-in an older car (in his case, a 1912 Stevens-Duryea Model Y) on the purchase of a new one.Chassis 26392, the 1913 Stevens-Duryea C-Six five-passenger touring to be offered in Philadelphia, was delivered to its original owner in Rutland, Vermont, in 1913. Thatâ€™s where the trail of the buyer grows cold, but in 1946 the car surfaced again in the nearby town of Barre, Vermont. Classic-car collector Roderick Rice had heard stories of a StevensDuryea in town, and upon investigation found not one but two examples, both belonging to a single owner who would only sell the luxury cars as a pair.
Rice struggled to scrape together the $500 asking price, but was determined not to lose the cars. An aunt in Springfield, Massachusetts, knew of a local collector who might be interested in the second Stevens-Duryea, and a deal was struck for the larger seven-passenger touring car over the phone. The buyer was Jerry Duryea, son of automotive pioneer Charles Duryea and nephew of J. Frank Duryea, founder of what would later become Stevens-Duryea. The price? The same $500 that Rice had paid for both cars, meaning that the 1913 five-passenger touring had ultimately cost Rice nothing. Rice believed that cars were for driving, and over the decades the Stevens-Duryea remained in his collection, he added over 4,000 miles to the odometer, including a 1999 trip with the Horseless Carriage Club of America that added 600 miles itself. According to Bonhams, the car once climbed Vermont’s famed Smuggler’s Notch, a trip that can occasionally prove challenging for a contemporary automobile. Rice even had to postpone the originally scheduled 2005 Hemmings photoshoot, as he was driving the C-Six to a friend’s 85th birthday celebration. As a boy during the Great Deprression, Rice’s friend recalled playing in the barn-kept StevensDuryea. Rice maintained the car over the decades he owned it, but never restored it. By 2005, its unique compressed-air starting system wasn’t functioning quite as well as it once did (prompting a crank-start work-around), but overall the car remained in remarkably good mechanical condition. Prior to Rice’s ownership, someone had substituted a taller Stromberg carburetor for the original Stevens-Duryea unit, so for improved functionality Rice installed a fuel pump to assist the car’s original gravity feed system. Thanks to a body crafted from aluminum, not steel, rust was never an issue, and while the original paint had worn bare in spots, the Panasote top and leather upholstery (also original) remained impressively well-preserved. In 2005, Rice said of the car, “I’ve obviously had opportunities to get rid of it, but I’ve had it so long I haven’t thought about making any change. I’ve always been proud of it: It’s a fine, quality built car. It’s sort of hard to convey my feelings about it.” True to his word, the Stevens-Duryea was part of Rice’s collection at the time of his death in September 2009. Even after this, it remained part of his estate, but next month the history-rich touring car will be offered for sale for the first time in over seven decades. Offered without reserve, Bonhams predicts a selling price between $150,000 and $225,000, in line with prices realized by other examples in recent years. In 2014, a restored C-Six five-passenger touring sold for $302,500 in Monterey, while another repainted-but-not-restored model sold for $126,500 at Hershey in 2015.
Mid-week Tourer notes for October 2017 Bulletin Coming events. Wednesday 18th. October. Starts from the Drury Service Centre, Southern Motorway. 10-00am for a 10-30am departure. Our destination will be the Nikau Caves, in Waikaretu, where there is a good café, and very interesting Limestone country side. The caves themselves are top class nowadays, and well worth visiting. Sunday clothes are not recommended !. (there are changing rooms in the café complex) Google it if you want more info, but the run will be simple and a little longer than recent ones. Wednesday 15th. November Starts from The Warehouse Carpark, Westgate. 10-00am for a 10-30am departure. Murray Firth has organised a run finishing at the renowned Mincher Gardens for lunch (BYO) before those who wish to, go on to a nearby interesting collection of cars and trucks. There is an admission charge to the Gardens, but Murray has negotiated a discounted rate for us of $15-00 pp. That’s good value for one of the most outstanding show piece gardens in NZ. Wednesday 13th December. N.B. A week earlier than usual. Starts from the Drury Service Centre, Southern Motorway. 10-00am for a 10-30am departure. Destination; our usual Christmas BBQ. BYO meat. The Dewdrops and the Mid-week Team Tel. 09 232 0245 Email email@example.com
1941 Cadillac 62 Convertible 1933 Hupmobile K-321 2 Door NORTH SHORE VINTAGE CAR CLUB 40 MASONS RD ALBANY