Page 1

The Eastern Bay of Plenty Branch of

The Vintage Car Club of New Zealand PO BOX 2168, Kopeopeo, Whakatane 3159

June 2019


A Landrover seen at the Manawahe Eco Trust Centre Club Night: Last Thursday of the month (except December) at Whakatane Athletic Clubrooms, Short Street, Whakatane 7.00 pm Social get together Branch meeting starts at 7.30 PM


THE VINTAGE CAR CLUB OF NZ Eastern Bay of Plenty Branch Postal Address: PO Box 2168, Kopeopeo, Whakatane 3159 Branch Officers: 2019/2020 Honorary Branch Member Chairman Past Chairman Treasurer Club Captain

Lorolei Pollard

Lytle Hall Les Costar Karen Spackman 07 315 8800 Joy Growden Barry Keene


Steve Growden Lorraine Stock Alan Stock Peter Hadley Mark Spackman Keith Watson Margaret Watson PJ (Peter) Hayman

07 308 4044 07 323 6406 Secretary 07 304 9777 07 308 8204 07 304 9777 07 308 7890 07 308 7890 07 312 9069 07 315 8800 07 312 9081 07 312 9081


Beaded Wheels Reporter Almoner Name Badge Sales

Bruce Seddon Lorolei Pollard Peter Donovan

07 322 2137 07 307 0373 07 312 5848

Parts Shed Supervisors:

Phil Leaming Steve Growden Keith Watson

07 304 8415 07 304 9777 07 312 9081

Archivist VIC Collators:

07 323 6406 07 312 9081 07 323 6406

Supper Supervisor Raffles

Gail Costar Keith Watson Les Costar Keith & Margaret Watson Margaret Watson Lorraine Stock

07 312 9081 07 312 9081 07 308 7890

Community Liaison:

Lytle Hall

07 308 4044

Saleable Items:

Club Regalia For Sale: Contact: Keith and Margaret Watson (these will be available at Club Nights) EBOP Cloth Jacket Badges $7.50 EBOP Cloth Jacket Patches $10.00 EBOP Car Window Stickers $1.00 EBOP Car Bumper Badges $20.00 EBOP Lapel Badges $6.00 EBOP VCC Windscreen Stickers $2.00 EBOP Cloth Caps $15.00 Rally Number Holders s/s $15.00 NZVCC Winged Lapel Badges $7.50 VCC Cloth Winged Badges $13.00 EBOP Name Badges $15.00 (to be ordered) Please wear your name badge to VCC functions.

Club Night: At:

Last Thursday of the month (except December) Whakatane Athletic Clubrooms, Short Street, Whakatane 7.00pm Social Get-together Branch Meeting starting at 7.30pm


Chairman’s Report As you may be aware this is my 4th term as Chairman. As in the Constitution of our Branch the Chairman can serve for 4 consecutive years and must step down and allow fresh blood to flow into the Branch, fresh thoughts and ideas are good things. The Membership of our Branch at this time stands at 107 Members, 7 up from last AGM. We have had 11 new Members join, 2 Members have resigned due to health reasons and 2 Members have passed away. Those that have passed away are Bruce Taylor and John Swindells, in their own way they were great Club Members. Also 2 former Members have recently passed away. Jim Brown was a long time Member until he became unwell and Gary Young who was a Past Secretary in the 1980’s. Thanks to:

Karen for her 1st year of service as Secretary. Treasurer Joy who keeps our finances in a healthy state, this has been Joy’s 6th year. Club Captain Barry we have had a run or event each month.

The Parts Shed guys and those who have helped on working bee’s have got the containers and surround looking good. Thanks must also go to the Committee Members for your help and commitment and to all of those Members that do things behind the scenes, that we take for granted. I won’t mention names for fear of missing someone out, but you know who you are, thanks for your efforts over the years. There has been a good participation from Members in our Club Runs and Events, and it is good to see the Classic Car Breakfast is still well attended by our VCC Members, even though it’s not a VCC event. The East Coast Rally was a great event, thanks to Steve and Joy and their helpers, using the Lyceum Club Rooms for the 2nd year and a new caterer. Thanks for your efforts. Did I forget the Magazine Editor Margaret, no I didn’t. Margaret has been our Editor for 3 years and has produced a first class magazine each month for us, it has been a great effort on her part and thanks also to those that have contributed. As Margaret is standing down this year and the Running Board is our major communication and information medium that we have at this time, we really need to fill this role. It is great that we have gained new Members and even better that we have young people joining. I hope that we can keep their interest in the Club and in old cars and what we do as a Branch of the VCC, as many people join and drift off after a short time or join but never participate. Wouldn’t it be great if all of those Members who don’t participate came to a Meeting and expressed their thoughts on what they would like in the way of events and entertainment from the Branch.


I want to thank Gail for her support and help in the 4 years that I have been Chairman, her input has been hugely helpful, setting up my Meeting Agenda’s and typing my Reports etc. I have mostly enjoyed my time as Chairman over the last 4 years, but there has been times when I wondered if I was the right person for the role, but having said that, I was Chairman for 2 years in the 1990’s. I do wish Lytle well as Chairman and of course the Committee new and old. Your retiring Chairman


Club Captain Report May Club Run to the Manawahe Ecological Community Centre. The weather was fine and 12 cars plus 25 people turned out for this visit. Volunteers Andrew Collicot and Margaret Bowmar were there to open the facilities and give us a run down on what the Trust does. They hope to create a corridor from Matata to Lake Rotoma that is free of pests and so encourage bird and plant life. The Trust has been operating for about 10 years and a lot of time and effort and money has gone into making good progress towards their goal. The facilities on the site include bunk rooms in the old schoolhouse, camping, kitchen and a large classroom area. There are also many bush walks close by. Overnight educational visits by schools have become a regular event. July Club Run. On Sunday the 21st July join in to explore and maybe get some education. The run will cover about 48 miles and has a couple of short gravel roads that you may not have been on. Meet at Bunnings at 1.15pm for a 1.30pm start. Afternoon tea will be at Alan and Lorraine Stock's home in Shaw Road Whakatane. August VCC Daffodil Day Sunday 25th. Once again VCC Cubs throughout NZ are running events to raise money for Cancer. Our Club will join with a similar event to what we had last year. A number of other Car Clubs will be asked to join us to make the event as big as possible and so hopefully get a lot of public support and raise even more money than last year. This will be our August Club Run and we will meet at The Hub at 1.00pm, do a town tour then a public display back at The Hub where we hope to raise more money than last years $800. September run to Paeroa. Once again Steve and Joy are organising this trip to the Paeroa Vintage and Classic Weekend. It is held near the middle of September but the dates are not on their website yet so this is advance notice for you. This will be our September Club Run. AGM held on May 30th We had a successful meeting and again have a full committee. Les Costar ended his 4 years as our very able Chairman and Vice Chairman Lytle Hall was promoted to the Chairman's position. Les stays on the committee as Immediate Past Chairman. Gail Costar resigned


after many years as an active member. She was replaced by one of our newer and younger members 'PJ' Hayman. The rest of the committee and those members with special roles remained the same. My MGB vacuum advance unit. This stopped working recently so I started looking for another one. The MG has a P6 Rover V8 with electronic ignition. I thought it would be straight forward but was wrong. I could give them the numbers on the distributor. I looked on TradeMe, rang several distributor companies, asked Auto Electricians and have finally ended up getting one through Rimmer Brothers in England. I could have got it refurbished by Quality Rebuilds in Auckland but their price was more than a new one from UK. While the distributor was apart it was recommended to replace the weight springs which I have found to be more difficult and am still working on it though a solution is now in sight. Corgi now going. Some of you may remember the 1943 Welbike Corgi motor bike that we have had for about 30 years. These bikes were designed to be used during the war. They folded down so they could be placed in tubes that were then dropped by parachute over enemy lines and soldiers could then ride them. They became known as 'parachute bikes'. But their use for this purpose was not as successful as expected for two main reasons. One was the noise from the two stroke motor meant it could be heard for miles and the other was that the wheels were so small it bogged down in any mud or grass. A lot of them ended up being used as a means to get around airports and airstrips. This bike ran when we first had it but slowly lost power and in the end it did not have the power to take the extra load of a rider. It has a two-stroke motor. It would pull its own weight but walking alongside a motorbike is not the best way to use them. One of the things that needed doing was to get new tyres for it. Thirty years ago the only tyres I could find that would fit it were wheel barrow tyres. The question then arose of what is the speed rating of a wheel barrow tyre. None of the shops selling wheelbarrows knew the answer and I got lots of funny looks as well. I approached some tyre dealers with no luck but Beaurepairs followed it up with their tyre expert and he came back saying he could find no trials that had tested this but the manufacturer’s suggested that they should be safe at 10mph. Our thoughts on the motor problem were that the magneto was faulty so it was decided to store it until we could get it repaired. It had good compression and the brakes did help slow it down. This storage lasted the next 28 years. A couple of years ago my son showed interest in it as a project so we gave it to him as a birthday present. He and I then spent a whole weekend working on it. After half a day it fired up but still no power. At some stage during this time we found a shaped piece of aluminium that had fallen off the bottom of the motor and was resting in the sump guard tray. This piece was part of the inlet/exhaust system. This took a while to sort out as it was difficult to get back in place. Once that was done we started it up again and it ran a lot better and after more tuning of the spark and mixture it ran well enough to take a rider. It turned out that this was the problem all along. The challenge was then to make it roadworthy which over the next couple of weeks was achieved.


So the Corgi is now registered and on fine days my son rides it to work.

From the Secretary Apologies folks for a brief report done at the last minute! I seem to have trouble keeping up with things at the moment not helped by hubby becoming unwell and sitting in E D and GP’s waiting rooms with all their associated bugs wishing I had a face mask. As it turns out I did get a head-cold but not the ‘flu thank-goodness. Hubby is much better altho’ a couple of further tests are in the pipeline. As a consequence of the above we missed the big meeting night of the year, our AGM, so first of all my sincere thanks and appreciation to Gail Costar for putting her old shoes on again and filling in for me! From what I have heard there was a good turnout for the meeting and congratulations to our new Chairman Lytle Hall. And yay, big thanks to PJ Hayman for coming onto Committee and providing something in short supply, Young Blood!! And have I got it right that we might have a new young Editor as well? Well done guys. We had one query from a prospective new member in May, not in the pipeline yet. Updates from Head Office even included a form for nomination of 70 years continuous membership of the VCC. 70 years- that’s pretty amazing really although with more people reaching 100 and still driving I guess I shouldn’t be surprised.


NZ Rail’s Northern Explorer, Coastal Pacific and Tranz Alpine Scenic Train trips are now being offered on the same basis as the Interislander fare discounts, valid now until 15 th December 2019. 10% off best available fare. Use promo code WH 5465. Rug up warm folks and hopefully we will have a good turn out for the Night Owl Run in couple of weeks Safe motoring Karen

From the Editor’s Desk Well, here I am again for the last time. It has been a blast doing the job of the Editor but sadly, all things must come to an end as I would like to spend more time on my other hobbies. This month, you will have read about our trip to Manawahe Eco Trust in Club Captain Barry’s report. It was an interesting afternoon out. One of the things that I had forgotten about was the number of wallabies that are here in the wild. These are Australian animals that were introduced into NZ way back in 1858 along with the possums. There are a large colony of wallabies in the South Island inland from Waimate. Last time we were there, our destination was Naseby via Danseys Pass. We drove inland beside the Waitaki river towards a bridge which crosses the river at Kurow and we noticed a few of these animals on the road as they had been hit by cars or trucks. Such a shame but they along with possums are now registered as pests here in NZ. This month, Neil Barnard has written a great account of his trip on his Comet Motorbike down the South Island. Also thank you to Peter and Robyn Hadley for their account of 2019 Veteran and Vintage Tour with the

photos. A couple of good reads. It is these sorts of contributions that have allowed me to be able to put together a magazine for you all. Before I bow out, I really would like to thank those members who have contributed over the past 3 years. Safe and happy motoring



COMET CAPERS - The “Out of Gas” ride. It was a full 46 years ago in March 1973 that I had first ridden my Vincent Comet down to Bluff at the bottom of the South Island. The NZ VOC Annual Rally at Roxburgh in Otago sounded like a prime excuse to do some sort of re-enactment. Planned itinerary was a bit over 2,500 miles (4,000 k’s) total, generally to be ridden in the company of Trevor Hackett and his son Rick. Trevor and I have been mates for more than 65 years, quite a long standing friendship! Day 1:- Whakatane to Taupo. I knew I had to gas up soon after leaving home, so headed for the local Z station at Awakeri. Unusually it was closed for maintenance, and the next nearest servo was in Edgecumbe, another few k’s down the road. Had only just got over the Rangitaiki River bridge entering Edgecumbe when the engine spluttered and died, with just enough inertia to coast to a halt in front of the very welcome petrol pumps. I must remember to gas up regularly. Moment of truth. Let the ride begin. The pleasant tour around the Rotorua lakes was punctuated with multiple roadworks, fortunately without any significant delays. Took the SH30 backroad across to Atiamuri onto SH1 for the run down to the arranged rendezvous with the 2 Hacketts with Vincents in Taupo. Unusually for this stretch of road there was significant law enforcement present, but fortunately with a Comet it is not easy to misbehave badly enough to attract too much attention from that quarter. Trevor (Comet) and his son Rick (Rapide) duly arrived in Taupo, with eager anticipation for our extensive Vincent tour. Day 2:- Taupo to Levin. This was planned to be an easy run of a bit over 200 k’s. All was running well until south of Hunterville with Rick enjoying the Rapide and Trevor on the Comet. Quite suddenly the Comet lost power and was distinctly reluctant to continue. The engine was very hot, and the complete loss of any detectible compression indicated the end of the line. While deliberating our options a local contractor stopped with his flat deck ute. He offered to take the Comet to his home in Palmerston North for storage until transfer back to Auckland could be organised. Rick kindly offered the Rapide to father Trevor, and our good Samaritan ute driver then delivered Rick to the Palmerston North airport to catch the next available flight back home to Auckland. Undeterred


by this set back, Rick then climbed onto his recently acquired R Nine T BMW and proceeded to play catch-up following in the wake of the 2 remaining Vincents. Day 3:- Levin to Wellington, the ferry to Picton, and then to Westport. This was going to be a long day, with 400k’s to ride plus the 3-hour ferry crossing. We were on the road before 6am, which was just as well because of the quite horrendous traffic congestion getting into Wellington. In spite of lane splitting and queue jumping it still took nearly 2 hours to travel 100 k’s into the capital. The joys of city living! At the ferry check-in we met up with Mark Cooper on his lovely 750 Ducati. He is in the process of rebuilding a Series B Rapide, and as he was also riding down to the Roxburgh rally, he decided to travel with us. Cook Straight behaved itself, and the ferry trip was very pleasant. From Picton (where we gassed up) it was a straight run through the Waiau Valley to St Arnaud. There is very little in the way of towns along this road, and the last time I travelled along it I ran out of gas on the R75/5 BMW, in spite of a large fuel tank. Lesson learned??? The lower Buller Gorge towards Westport was an absolute delight under clear skies, warm temperatures, and virtually no wind. The road hugs the river, and at Hawk’s Bluff the road is literally carved out of solid rock. At this point during heavy rain the river level can sometimes cover the road. Lower Buller Gorge – magic. After a little minor fettling and our faithful steeds under secure lock and key, it was time to rest our weary bones. That first beer always tastes good. Day 4:- Westport to Geraldine via Arthur’s Pass and Rakaia Gorge. Again, another long day in excess of 500 k’s. The road down the West Coast from Westport towards Greymouth is another marvellous ride. We elected to take the inland back road around the back of Lake Brunner to Inchbonnie. It was great to try some less busy minor roads, although a bridge closure caused a detour onto about 10 miles of good gravel. Quite pleasant in spite of the dust, and I was the lead rider!


Arthur’s Pass in fine clear conditions was truly memorable. The road climbs sharply to over 900 metres to cross the main divide of the majestic Southern Alps. The scenery through there is really stunning, and the road conditions just perfect.

I thought that there was petrol available at Arthur’s Pass township, but there was no obvious gas station. Apparently, there are indeed pumps there adjacent to the local store, but we all missed these, and this later proved to be our undoing. From the summit the scenery changes dramatically. After a few nice twists and undulations, the route leaves the mountain forest. Arthur’s Pass summit in the sunshine – brilliant. The expansive valley catchment of the Waimakariri River it typified by long straights and sweeping bends. Lush green native forest changes to the multi-hued browns and tans of the tussock clad hills, all set amid impressive mountains. After passing Lake Lyndon the road descends quite dramatically into the Kowai River valley. After 176 miles the Rapide’s tank ran dry and the bike chuffed to a halt and stopped. The affliction was contagious because a mere couple of miles further on my Comet was also out of fuel. With Mark on the Ducati now the only one mobile he carried on to the next gas station which proved to be only a few k’s further on in Springfield. He bought a container and fuel and was about to head back to replenish the 2 dry Vincents. I had scrounged some fuel from a local farmer lady who refused payment and then Trevor arrived after some starting issues and use of his emergency 1 litre bottle of fuel. We were re-united once more. It was then that I noticed one of the Rapide’s leather pannier bags appeared to be leaking oil. A full 1 litre oil bottle had lost its lid and disgorged its entire contents to mix with everything else in the saddle bag. A scrap bottle was converted into a small shovel, and the bulk of the errant contents returned into the original container.


Upon finally arriving rather weary in Geraldine the Ducati and Comet were parked up on the freshly laid gravel adjacent to the motel unit. The Rapide had stopped at the reception and was again reluctant to start so we wandered down to give Trevor a hand to push it up through the campground. To our dismay we then found that the Comet had fallen over onto the Ducati, and both our loved bikes were now both lying on their sides in a heap. Bugger! There’s oil in your pannier bag, Sir!! Apart from a few minor scratches both bikes appeared to not have suffered any real damage. It was then that I noticed a distinct lack of under-seat tool tray on the Comet. It must have fallen out somewhere and disgorged a selection of tools onto the road. Bugger again! The Rapide was now running more and more erratically and was becoming more difficult to start. Inspection of the magneto showed only minimal points gap, and this was adjusted. Day 5:- Geraldine to Roxburgh. This was planned to only be a relatively short stint of around 300 k’s along the picturesque shores of Lake Pukaki, through the Lindis Pass and on down to Cromwell. Shortly after leaving Geraldine, on a particularly narrow and windy section or road before Fairlie, the ailing Rapide stuttered to a halt. Spark plugs were changed without improvement. A more thorough inspection of the magneto revealed more issues. The entire points assembly was loose, and its keyed location to the armature had been lost, resulting in lost ignition timing. At some stage the key had been repaired with a dollop of solder and this had disintegrated. A visual alignment was estimated by eye, and the central bolt tightened. It was noted that the small insulating button on the points pivot had got lost, and a small stone was substituted. Misty conditions on such a narrow road made roadside repairs rather difficult, and I was quite glad to be able to drape my HiVis jacket over the back of the Comet to provide some warning to the passing traffic of the roadside activities. Because of the now doubtful ignition timing I was very dubious about trying to kick start the Rapide, and we pushed it back down the road in the direction we had come. Once out of sight we eagerly awaited its hopeful return. Suddenly we were heartened to hear a familiar thumping exhaust note as Trevor approached and sailed past with an apprehensive but satisfied grin on his face. Away again! Once at the VOC rally site at the famed “Riders’ Rest” it was great to meet up with the group, which now included Trevor’s son Rick who had followed religiously in our footsteps through the Buller Gorge, Arthur’s Pass and the Lindis Pass. It must have been a spirited ride to cover all that distance from Auckland in such a short time, and this was clearly illustrated by the state of the BMW’s rear tyre. The internal construction was clearly visible without any rubber covering in several places. Obviously well 11

past its “Use by Date”. Unbeknown to us, this was actually a long weekend due to the Otago Anniversary Day statutory holiday on the Monday, with all weekday businesses closed. Bugger! Day 6:- Relax at the Annual Rally in Roxburgh. Trevor needed to visit a customer in Cromwell. As the Rapide was now only in possession of the lower 3 gears and was suffering from a dragging clutch, he took my Comet for a relaxing ride. Must admit I was indeed very pleased to hear and see his (and the bike’s) safe return.

Day 7:Roxburgh to Te Anau. The original plan was to include the return ride from Te Anau out to Milford Sound and back on this day. Because of the bike issues, a weather forecast warning, (and some weary bones) this was curtailed, and a relaxing afternoon was spent drinking beer with a German tourist and then some of the local ladies. Young Rick seemed to make an impression there! The rally over. All we have to do now is get home! Rain arrived in the evening and the weather forecast was for a “weather bomb” on the West Coast the next day. Not a good feeling. Day 8:- Te Anau to Makarora. The ride up through Queenstown was slightly disrupted in order to replace the BMW rear tyre, which by now was utterly shagged. Its condition had now been of concern for quite some time, and our extremely capable rally organisers Mal and Cag had very efficiently organised for a local bike mechanic to both supply and fit a new tyre at his private home. Real great service on a public holiday, and very much appreciated.


It was not without quite substantial relief that we now headed up over the Crown Range and through Cardrona in quite blustery but fine conditions heading for the West Coast. The weather deteriorated markedly, and at Makarora on the entry to Mt Aspiring National Park just before Haast Pass, the rain became heavier and heavier. We had arranged to meet up with the “Bikescape” group there, with the next overnight stop scheduled up the coast at Punakaiki. Historic bikes (and riders) outside the historic pub. Day 9:- Makarora to Punakaiki. By morning the rain had become quite horrendous. We were told that the road north up the coast was closed with slips, but these should be cleared by 10am. We then heard that the bridge across the Waiho River just north of Franz Josef had been washed away. Parts of the West Coast had received in excess of 1,000mm (yes, more than 1 metre) of rain in the preceding 48 hours. This was the highest recorded 48-hour rainfall ever recorded since records began. Not a good day for old bike riding! Bugger! Waiho River bridge, or what was left of it! Because of the steepness of the western flank of the Southern Alps, all this rain descends to the sea at a great rate of knots. The failed bridge was indeed already a temporary Bailey bridge built to replace the original bridge which had been swept away in a previous storm. There was now no alternative but to retrace our steps and head back “up the middle” of the Island through the Lindis Pass and the Scenic Inland Route bypassing Christchurch. On reaching Rangiora we had all had enough riding, and after more than 500 k’s in variable conditions decided to stop for the night. Day 10:Rangiora to Picton. Rather than take the main SH1 north we elected to ride the inland SH70 up through Waiau. This road had taken quite a beating from the heavy trucks forced to take this route when the coast road was closed for a prolonged period after the Christchurch earthquakes. A lot of repair work was being done


with some delays, but the low traffic density made it all worthwhile. It was also certainly great to get some actual sunshine again at last. The ongoing road reconstruction all up SH1 on the Kaikoura coast is absolutely massive. The amount of material involved defies description. Great areas of cliff face adjoining the railway line and roadway are being protected from future rock fall by heavy steel wire rope netting, which was being anchored by workers suspended on abseil harnesses as we passed. There is still a lot of work required all along this road. From Blenheim we diverted back to Havelock in order to sample the delights of the tortuous Queen Charlotte Drive skirting the Marlborough Sounds. A great bit of tight riding which really drained the last vestiges of energy from this elderly rider. Again, tired but happy! Day 11:Picton, ferry to Wellington, and as far north as we are able. Another good crossing of Cook Straight, not quite as calm as the initial one the week before, but quite pleasant with the aid of sea sickness pills. The exit from Wellington at around midday was an absolute breeze with no real delays. However, the main road SH1 was indeed busy, and we were already missing the lack of traffic of the South Island. Up over the Desert Road misty rain developed, and the temperature dropped markedly, well below anything we had experienced over the entire South Island tour. By Turangi the aged bodies were crying “enough” and we settled in to the Bridge Motel for a hot shower, beer, food and sleep. Day 12:Turangi to home. After a good breakfast at the Licorice Café (highly recommended) we parted company for our homeward trek. I elected to take SH1 north up as far as Upper Atiamuri, and then head east for Rotorua. Unfortunately, SH1 was closed at the Wakamaru turnoff, and all traffic was being diverted till north of Tokoroa. It was later found out that this was due to a fatal head-on truck smash near Kinleith. For me this detour would have resulted in a massive additional distance, and in hindsight I should have requested to travel just a few k’s further on up SH1 before turning off SH1 towards Rotorua. I decided to U-turn back towards Taupo and take SH5 direct to Rotorua. About halfway there a quick bit of mental arithmetic indicated that I would run out of gas before then. Oh, hell. Not again!! I just hoped that there was petrol available at Waiotapu. I could see the geothermal steam rising from the cliffs in the distance as the Comet began to misfire, and once more I was on to the meagre reserve supply. A mere few miles further on, and there was the most welcome sight of a petrol pump. Phew! Now with a tank full sufficient for the ride home, it was nice to feel the increased warmth in the sun and to relax with no more dramas. Reflections. Having ridden motorcycles for more than half a century, I have a lot of memories. Like it or not, the most memorable rides have generally been the more challenging ones. Riding modern bikes is 14

enjoyable for sure, but the ongoing problem solving and fettling that is part of the classic scene has to be part of the fun. Sure, it can be frustrating at times. However as long as this is approached with a positive frame of mind (sometimes difficult), it can add positively to the experience. I must remember to gas up more regularly! Thanks to all who contributed and made this enjoyable experience possible. It was fun! Neil “Barny” Barnard. 1954 Vincent Comet.

2019 VETERAN AND VINTAGE TOUR 1st of May, Robyn and I headed for Marton for the first night of the Veteran/Vintage Tour due to start at Ashburton 6th of May. The traffic near Wellington worries me, but we managed it out of rush hour. A very smooth Cook Straight crossing, just as well as I had forgotten to pull the hand brake on. Then on to my sister’s place at Ngatimoti, which is south of Motueka. Next morning on to Culverden via the Lewis Pass. The road was very quiet and has been much improved, widening and extra passing spots (not that I did any passing) due to being used as a temporary No1 Highway. Sunday afternoon saw us in Ashburton. I went for a ride in a 1902 curve dash Oldsmobile, moving along a tar seal road with a chuff chuff was a unique experience, great. Monday morning, off to Waimate via many off Highway roads, mostly paved. We have never been to South Canterbury, so never experienced such straight roads and flat country. Even Australia does not seem to be so dead flat. I thought the manifold gasket was starting to leak, due to a little more exhaust noise, but as we approached Timaru, the noise was getting louder and louder. Just inside the 50km zone and climbing a hill the nose pipe fell off and hit the road. There was absolutely no place to pull over, so had to continue to the top of the hill, about 500 meters. After Alison sourced an exhaust shop, the GPS took us straight up the main street. The echo was ground shaking, broke just under the exhaust clamp. After half an hour and lunch, were back on the road. From Waimate, south across the Waitaki river, along the “Seven Mile Road” and on to the Dansey’s Pass, a rough narrow back country road. Rocky in places, tight corners, steep in patches, but very interesting lonely station country, clean and cold looking streams. Had an hour or so with the rest of the V.V. Tour at Kyeburn Diggings by the old Schist made Hotel. With 28 cars on the run there is plenty to see and talk about.


1912 Renault didn’t come over Dansey’s Pass, but a 1922 Rolls Royce, a Velie from Auckland, 5 Chryslers, 2 Hupmobiles, 1 Nash, 1 Austin 12/4, 1 Buick, 3 Dodges, 1 Chev, 5 Model A’s 1 Graham Paige, 1 DeSoto and a 3-ton British Bedford Truck. Filled up with petrol in Clyde then on to Cromwell for 2 nights. The people in Cromwell were complaining at not having seen much sun in nearly 4 weeks. No wind to blow the mist/fog away from the lakes. A lazy day there and a good look around, then on to Haast for the night and an excellent meal at the pub. 3 huge Whitebait fritters and Robyn had Blue Cod, I had a bit and thought it would be worthwhile driving all the way to Haast just for another meal of Blue Cod and Whitebait. The next day, heading north, our longest day of 160 miles, to Hokitika for 2 nights. We didn’t see much flood damage apart from the bridge repairs at Fox Glacier. While at Fox, a local, a Maori bloke from Te Teko, told us to get the best view of Mt Cook and the Glacier was to drive 6km West towards the sea. While there the remaining clouds drifted away and we got a perfect view. So far, on the whole trip we had not had any rain, but mostly misty or cloudy. From Haast north the weather cleared to sun with some cloud, very nice travelling. The spare day in Hokitika, morning shopping, a beautiful red Possum skin bed spread and matching pillows and after lunch we all drove to the Hokitika Gorge. Spectacular, though the river was a bit dirty and not the green/blue of a mountain stream. Misty and turning to rain at times for our run to Hanmer Springs. Reefton 2nd hand shops sold us a small grease gun, some country and western D.V.D. and more books. Monday morning, we all said our goodbyes after a very interesting night, mostly over Rob Ross’s 80th Birthday. Robyn and I headed for Picton, up the Inland road to Kaikoura. The road is repaired but very rough due to the movement and subsidence of the country. North of Kaikoura the No1 Highway is very good where it is finished, but much work to be done before it is completely done. Another smooth Straight crossing, then over the Rimutaka Hill with the southerly wind that has been with us since Kaikoura, to a night with a friend in a log house in outer Masterton. The strong buffeting southerly wind pushed us to Woodville, over to Ashhurst where the wind was not so bad. On to Cheltenham, Kimbolton, Pemberton, Karewakewa, Mangaweka to Taihape for the night. Next day, home by 2pm to the welcome of 2 dogs. The Model A travelled 2,095 miles at 60 to 70 km/h doing 19.45 miles to a gallon, without a complaint, except the fan got a bit loose and the exhaust falling off, which cost $89 to repair. Peter & Robyn Hadley


1942 Indians

Kyeburn Diggings Hotel


Mt Cook

Fox Glacier


Targa 2019 Time Trial When: Monday 28th October to Saturday 2nd Nov 2019. Where: Central & Lower/Mid North Island – Refer Draft Event Programme. What & Why: Outstanding opportunity for VCC members to drive iconic North Island roads as a time trial. This is not a race, but rather an exercise in safe, precise driving to maintain a set average speed over closed tarmac stages. (Similar to a regularity trial). It’s also a great opportunity for VCC branches to raise public awareness of the VCC & hopefully attract some new & younger members. Cost: Substantial 30% discount of standard entry fee for VCC members with VCC/VIC eligible cars = $4,790 reduced to $3,353 + Medical Levy & RallySafe. (All entry fees are + GST). Refer for further details & discounts. Contact: Rod Corbett rod.corbett88@gmail 027 433 8772 for further details.



For Sale VCC of NZ Winged Cloth Badges $13.00 each. Contact EBOPVCC on or Keith Watson on

Out and About Club Captain Barry’s photos from the Manawahe Run Gary & Liz Bryson borrowed this car for the Manawahe run.

A new car to the clcub – 1974 V8




Our Club Calendar of Events June 2019 June Saturday 22nd

Thursday 27th

July Sunday 21st

Thursday 30th

August Tuesday ?? Sunday 25th

Thursday 29th

September Fri-Sat-Sun ?? Thursday 26th

Club Run. Our annual Night Owl Rally at 5.00pm and pot luck tea. Arranged by Peter and Robyn Hadley. Meet at Athletic Club Rooms at 5.00pm for the rally which will be followed by the pot luck tea. Club Night. At the Athletic Club Rooms in Short Street. Meet from 7.00pm and the meeting starts at 7.30pm

Club Run. A 48 mile Country Run. It involves a couple of gravel roads some of you may not have been on ending at Alan and Lorraine Stock's home at 109 Shaw Rd. for afternoon tea. Club Night. At the Athletic Club Rooms in Short Street. Meet from 7.00pm and the meeting starts at 7.30pm

Nobby's Nosh. Club Run. Daffodil Day Fund Raising Rally. We will be inviting the Classic Car group and other Car Clubs to join us. The arrangements and route will be similar to last year. Meet at The Hub at 1.00pm for a town tour then a public display back at The Hub Club Night. At the Athletic Club Rooms in Short Street. Meet from 7.00pm and the meeting starts at 7.30pm

Club Run will be us travelling to the Paeroa Vintage and Classic Car Weekend Club Night. At the Athletic Club Rooms in Short Street. Meet from 7.00pm and the meeting starts at 7.30pm If you don't have a vintage on the road, come along to club runs in your modern


Other Club Events June 2019 June Queen's B'Day W'end "

Waikato Double Fifty Wanganui Annual Rally

July Sat & Sun 6th ,7th Sunday 7th Sunday 14th

Wellsford/Warkworth Winter Woollies Wander Classic Car Breakfast. At the Red Barn from 8.00am Rotorua Central North Island Swapmeet

August Saturday 17th Saturday 31st

National AGM. Hosted by the West Coast Branch Rotorua Sulphur City Rally

September Tuesday 24th....

North Cape to Bluff Tour Starts Today. You can join and leave at any stage.


Profile for Vintage Car Club of New Zealand

Eastern Bay of Plenty VCC - June 2019  

Eastern Bay of Plenty VCC - June 2019