Victoria West Elementary School Parent Advisory Committee April 8, 2015 6:00‐8:00 pm General Meeting PAC Meeting Minutes Agenda: 1. 2. 3. 4.
Introductions (10 min) Acceptance of the agenda (1 min) Principal’s Report (10 min) Executive Reports a. President’s Report (5 min) b. Treasurer’s Report (5 min) c. VCPAC Report (5 min) Business/Action items arising from previous minutes: a. Manual on website‐ how to edit (Ahna) b. WWW update (Carolyn) c. PAC policy re: emergency support (Maria/Carolyn) d. Seaquarium funding update (Tori) e. Seaquarium sign update (Mercedes) nd f. World Labyrinth Day‐ May 2 (Aaren) th g. Building Resilient Neighbourhoods‐ June 7 event (Mercedes/Aaren) h. Rocks’n’Rings (Carolyn) i. Playground Committee update‐ survey going out (Aaren/Mercedes) j. Growing Chefs: payment update (Mercedes) k. Ready Set Learn‐ review l. June Fun Day (Coral) New business a. Vic West Fest May 9, 11‐3 (chess? Button making?) b. Monk School Supply/Staples School Supply Mural plaque‐ need approval c. d. PAC cabinet e. Kindergarten orientation planning f. New Ideas/Questions
WELCOME TO THE MEETING! Attendance: 8 PAC members (including AM, MC, CM, AH, Maria, Natalie, CF, Tori) and 1 Administrator (Ms. D) 1. Introductions (10 min) ‐ None needed 2. Acceptance of the agenda (1 min) Accepted, no additions 3. Principal’s Report (10 min) ‐ The Growing Chefs program is running well, Rugby has started on Tuesdays after school and track zone meet on May 20th and then finals on the 27th ‐ Folk dancing has started on Mondays after school and the Joy of Reading Club will meet on April 15th and then twice more in May and June ‐ 3 classes are enjoying students from Esquimalt High and grade five students have been reading with the grade ones ‐ Fun Day will be on June 17th. Ms. Stead and Ms. Carrico are organizing the stations which will likely be four 40 minute activities with the students mixed in a “blended family” style (mixed grades). Activities will take place both inside and outside the school. ‐ The Student Recognition Ceremony will take place on June 19th in the Library
‐ June 25th will be the last day of school and will also have the Volunteer Appreciation Tea at 10am and then the last assembly to say goodbye to the grade fives at 10:30am ‐ The June monthly assembly will take place on June 11th and will feature Annie Shum as a guest presenter. The students will also play music. ‐ There will not be a May assembly. ‐ The school District is predicting 208 students to enroll at Vic West Elem in the 2015/2016 school year (they predicted 175 this year, which was exceeded). These predictions help determine staffing needs which will be determined on April 13th. ‐ The Breakfast Program has received some very generous donations including a $5000 from a private funder ‐ The Rain Garden has been pruned and AM and Deb will be sorting out a Weeding Party shortly. ‐ Pledges are coming in for the Walkathon Action item: Committee members will speak to Shelley regarding what to do if the PAC box gets too full 4. Executive Reports a. President’s Report (5 min) ‐ Thank you to the WWW Committee for all of their hard work towards the walkathon b. Treasurer’s Report (5 min) ‐ Chequing: $4169.37 ‐ Gaming: $5473.82 ‐ Playground account: $530.60 c. VCPAC Report (5 min) ‐ Tori attended the March meeting on behalf of the PAC ‐ Nominations are being accepted for the VCPAC awards ‐ Members are being asked to join the Executive ‐ A resolution is being sent to the District regarding funding cuts in the schools 5. Business/Action items arising from previous minutes: a. Manual on website‐ how to edit (Ahna) ‐ AH has added the manual to the PAC website: http://www.vicwestpac.com/ See here: http://issuu.com/vicwestpac2/docs/vwpacmanual_march2015editedbym Action item: AH will create a document explaining how members can update the information. b. WWW update (Carolyn) ‐ Mike Olsen will take pictures of the event ‐ asking for volunteers along the route to keep the kids safe ‐ would also like volunteers at “Fun Station” along the route blowing bubbles, playing music, cheering, etc. ‐ Ms. D will allow chalk art along the route (just not on the school) Action items: MC, Maria, Natalie, AM all volunteered to help at the walkathon. CF will organize an evening for us all to sort out the incentives for the students. Tori offered to face paint the kids that need
some help being wacky. CF and CM will make a presentation at the assembly on Friday. AH will organize a button making party once the design has been finalized and printed. c. PAC policy re: emergency support (Maria/Carolyn) Action item: Maria to write the first draft of the PAC’s emergency response policy d. Seaquarium funding update (Tori) ‐ Go Fund Me Campaign has stalled at around $400. Torus recommends either shutting it down or giving it a big boost with more stories about the student’s interaction with the Seaquarium and lots of sharing of the campaign ‐ The PAC has set aside gaming funds to pay for the remainder owing to the World Fisheries Trust Action items: Tori to send Jana the digital poster for printing and distribution around the neighborhood and beyond. Personal stories should be sent to Tori. e. Seaquarium sign update (Mercedes) ‐ MC is leading a team to revitalize the Seaquarium with the help of Ms. Carrico’s class f. World Labyrinth Day‐ May 2nd (Aaren) ‐ There will be numerous events around town and a tour of the labyrinths in the area (including our school!) ‐ see our labyrinth on Google maps, satellite view! Action item: Ms D will add a link to World Labyrinth D in the May 1 newsletter.
g. Building Resilient Neighbourhoods‐ June 7th event (Mercedes/Aaren) ‐ The PAC will be represented on Sunday, June 7th at a Building Resilient Neighbourhoods festival on Harbour Road ‐ Volunteers are needed to help with the chalk art Action item: MC to provide more details as she knows. h. Rocks’n’Rings (Carolyn) ‐ Students will be trying out curling on April 20th and 27th in the gym thanks to CM’s initiative and gaming funds. i.
Playground Committee update‐ survey going out (Aaren/Mercedes) ‐ AM created a survey for Vic West students and their families to provide feedback on the back field and playground ‐ Will be coming home in backpacks in mid‐May ‐ Ms. D has let teachers know that the surveys will be distributed and collected in the classroom ‐ Tori is still looking into grants and will pass possibilities on to AM when she is ready Growing Chefs: payment update (Mercedes) ‐ No charge!! WOW!
Action item: MC to provide photos of students and gardens to Natalie who will create a photo book as a gift to the Growing Chefs program
k. Ready Set Learn‐ review ‐ worked better at the community center and will be reviewed again next year before the PAC participates. l. June Fun Day (Coral) ‐ wanted to remind staff and admin that the PAC will not be hosting an event at the end of the year (will plan Welcome Back BBQ in the fall) and so was wondering if the PAC could contribute in some way to the end of year festivities that the school has planned‐Fun Day? Action items: Admin will let the PAC know if volunteers are needed at the Fun Day. The PAC will purchase low allergen, gluten free popsicles for the students at the event. 6. New business a. Vic West Fest May 9, 11‐3 (chess? Button making?) Action items: AH, MC, CF will volunteer at event. Tent has been requested. Activity TBD. b. Monk School Supply/Staples School Supply ‐ Monk has changed their school supplies system and therefore it will no longer work for our school. Action item: MC to see if Staples has a school supplies system. c. Mural plaque‐ need approval PAC approved $300 plaque using gaming money to recognize the students and artist that helped to create the mural at the front of the school ‐ Also discussed a plaque for the Ball wall to recognize the funders (the Sutton Group) and the artist (Andrew Dick) Action item: MC to have plaque made and look into Ball Wall plaque. Tori offered to ask her husband about creating a wooden plaque. d. PAC cabinet ‐ MC organized the PAC cabinet and gave some room back to the school. e. Kindergarten orientation planning ‐ Welcome to Kindergarten is on Monday, May 4th at 10am ‐ Volunteers will be needed to help with set up on Friday afternoon ‐ In the past the PAC has always provided a snack to the students...ideas? Action items: MC and AM volunteered to help on May 4th, Maria and Tori can also help. f. New Ideas/Questions ‐ Rockheights will be inviting grade 5 parents to attend their June PAC meeting. An invitation to attend will be sent to all their feeder schools from Rockheights to be inserted into the elementary school newsletter. ‐ A Garage Sale is being held at the school on Saturday, April 25th to raise money for a grade five student battling cancer. Drinks will be sold and volunteers are welcome to bring baked goods for sale.
NEXT PAC MEETING: Wednesday, May 13, 2015…see you there!