BICYCLECULTURE urbanmobileman CITIZENCYCLISTS 21STCENTURYTOOLBOX MIKAELCOLVILLE-ANDERSEN
SUstainabilitymobilitynew urbanismtransportmodalsplit alternativesc02reduction utilityliveablecitiesecology environmentcongestion pollutionSHAREDSPACEpedelec electriccarse-bikes publictransport safetytrafficcalming
the urban toolbox
tools for liveable cities: - pedestrianism - car share - bike share - electric vehicles - public transport - traffic calming
tools for liveable cities: - pedestrianism - car share - bike share - electric vehicles - public transport - traffic calming - â€œpoliticiansâ€?
tools are for fixing and building
one tool: a multi-vitamin viagra pill for the urban landscape
velorution revolution bicycle culture
velorution revolution bicycle culture 2.0
bicycle culture 1.0
bicycle culture 2.0
THE modern URBAN MOBILE MaN
THE URBAN MOBILE MaN copenhagen
mexico city dublin
um... weâ€™re forgetting something, arenâ€™t we?
weâ€™re forgetting something, arenâ€™t we?
the ultimate yardstick the % of bicycle users that are women
anyway... who are these people?
they are not cyclists - bicycle users - ‘citizen cyclists’
citizen cyclists in a vacuum cleaner culture
boom! - marketing - selling vacuum cleaners - give them what they want
what do potential citizen cyclists in emerging bicycle cultures want?
cycle chic market research - upright bicycles - basket or pannier bags - black & red - they want a piece of the dream
pssst... they donâ€™t want (or need) bicycle corsets or autobikes
donâ€™t waste money ignoring 125 years of tried & tested marketing experience
both industry and cities need to understand the market
getting people onto bicycles -the 4 keys to promoting urban cycling
1. a2bâ€™ism - simple anthropology - get me there quick
1. a2bâ€™ism Why do Copenhageners ride? 56% - Quick & Easy. 19% - Good exercise. 6% - Inexpensive. 1% - Environment.
donâ€™t waste money ignoring 40 years of tried & tested best practice in denmark & holland
2. Apply Basic Marketing Techniques to Urban Cycling.
2. Cycling sold as: - Difficult. - Expensive (gear) - Dangerous. - Sweaty. - Sub-cultural.
2. sell Cycling as: - Glamourous. - Affordable. - Ennobling. - Effortless. - Mainstream.
- A bold, precocious playmate for your palate. - Cheeky and yet flirtacious. - Well-designed to dance tango with red meat, excellent cheese and sultry Italian fashionistas. - Grapes hand-picked by large- breasted virgins.
- get dizzy and throw up! - Embarrass yourself in public! - Enjoy a mind-numbing hangover and lose a day of your life!
- Become an alcoholic, lose your job, family and die penniless with liver disease!
3. stop ignoring the bull in societyâ€™s china shop
3. Marketing Cars:
- Bicycle industry taught them everything they know. - A century perfecting the art of selling cars. - Never a negative word despite overwhelming facts.
3. theyâ€™ll never tell you:
- pollution higher inside cars - driving a car is the hardest thing homo sapiens can do. - risk of head injury higher inside cars - and they will never try to sell you...
fix what is broken ... ... not what works restrict what kills ... ... not what saves lives
4. the Re-democratisation of the bicycle
4. - Re-branding urban cycling. - Separation from sub-cultures. - Re-humanising it. - For The Common Good & Liveable Cities.
Paris. 2 million private bikes sold.
Dublin. Over 30,000 bike share subscribers
Barcelona. 5% modal share in 3 years. 30 km/h zones
a monumental legacy
the urban tribal dance
liveable cities start with the bicycle
liveable cities end with the bicycle
“The steel horse fills a gap in modern life, it is an answer not only to its needs, but also to its aspirations. It’s quite certainly here to stay.”
“The steel horse fills a gap in modern life, it is an answer not only to its needs, but also to its aspirations. It’s quite certainly here to stay.” Le Vélocipède Illustré, 1869 World’s first cycling magazine
Published on Mar 24, 2011
Der internationale Fachkongress "METROMOBILE", fand im Vorfeld der VELOBerlin am 25. März 2011 statt. Verschiedenen Zukunftsszenarien einer...