Page 1

Contact if you encounter problems. You may need overrides to register for your classes.

Welcome to VCU’s School of Business! We are excited that you will be joining us for classes in January! Please read this manual thoroughly. This handbook will: - Orient you to the websites you will use often - Help you review how your credits are being applied towards your degree - Assist you with choosing and registering for some of your classes prior to attending orientation this winter Everyone must attend Orientation to confirm their spring course schedules. At Orientation, you will meet with an academic advisor to discuss any adjustments that need to be made to your spring schedule. Everyone associated with the School of Business program looks forward to welcoming and meeting you in the months ahead!

5 STEPS TO VCU Business Please read this manual to learn how to preregister for your spring classes. Most of your questions will be answered in the following pages, so please read them thoroughly.

Step 1 – Set up your eID and password Step 2 – Review your transfer credits in DegreeWorks and choose classes to take in the spring. o

Take Math Placement Test if necessary (see page 5 for more details).


Any classes you are taking at your current institution will not show on DegreeWorks until you complete them and transfer them to VCU. These credits will be applied to VCU upon submission of your final transcripts to the VCU Transfer Center.


Use the registration worksheet on page 15 to keep track of your course selections.

Step 3 – REGISTER for your classes! Step 4 – Attend Orientation and discuss your schedule with an advisor. Step 5 – Start classes @ VCU Business on Tuesday, January 17!

Step 1 - eID and Password Information eID Your eID is an alphanumeric set of characters that is usually a combination of your last name and initials. The eID followed by usually represents your VCU email address. Your eID is not your student number (also known as your V-number, vID, or Banner number). SAMPLE eID: SAMPLE email:


eID Finder and Setup of First Password If you do not know your eID or need to setup your eID password, you can use the eID Finder website at

Write down your eID and password on your Registration Worksheet. Make sure you memorize or bring these with you to Orientation!

Step 2 – View Transfer Credits in DegreeWorks and Choose Classes DegreeWorks is a tool to view the degree requirements you have fulfilled and the courses you have remaining. All transfer credits you have applied to your degree will appear here. Any classes you are currently taking at another school will not show on DegreeWorks until you complete them and transfer them to VCU. Transfer students need to review DegreeWorks carefully, and take note of any inconsistencies or missing credits. If you notice an error with your DegreeWorks statement, please tell the advisor at your Orientation advising session so he or she may investigate. How to view DegreeWorks 1. 2. 3. 4.

Go to the VCU homepage: Roll over Students. Click myVCU. Enter ‘Your eID’ and password, then click LOGIN

5. Click the eServices/VCU Self Service (top right-hand corner) 6. Click ‘Student’ tab 7. Click on DegreeWorks 8. Click DegreeWorks again

Below is an example of DegreeWorks. It will show you your major, everyone starts as Business Foundation; your intended major if you selected one (in this example it’s Information Systems); your current GPA; and how many credits you have earned or have transferred.

When you scroll down, you can see the course requirements for your degree. You’ll see the course name on the left, the course number in the middle, and that the credit is a transfer credit because the course is marked with a TR. You can also see what the course was called at your previous institution. Once you register for a course for next semester, DegreeWorks will show the course as IP, in progress, and it will be highlighted in blue. This is an easy way to see how your currently enrolled classes apply toward degree requirements.

A note on GPA: You’ll notice on DegreeWorks that you currently have a 0.0 GPA. Your GPA from your previous school does not transfer to VCU. This means that it is particularly important for you to earn mostly grades of A and B or higher in your first semester. We will go over strategies to do so at New Student Orientation.

Select the appropriate Math class All VCU Business students must pass math through Calculus. If you have not yet completed Calculus, you must register for the next math course in the sequence until you complete Calculus. Follow the next two steps to determine where you are in your math sequence. 1. Do I need to take the math placement test? The purpose of the math placement test is to determine the appropriate level of math you should start taking at VCU. The math placement test does not give you credit for a math class, nor does it satisfy or exempt you from any math course.

View your transfer credits on DegreeWorks

If you have VCU transfer credit for MATH 131 or MATH 1XX

If you have VCU transfer credit for MATH 141, MATH 151, SCMA 171, MATH 200, or SCMA 212

OR If you have never taken math (statistics does not count as math)

Yes, you need the placement test

No, you do not need the placement test: See next page for math sequencing

To log into the math placement test:

Make sure to take the Math Placement Test exam PRIOR to attending new student orientation!

2. What math class should I take at VCU? Review your math placement score or your transfer credit to determine the next math class you need. Here is the sequence of math courses. Transfer credit or Math Placement Test score

Class Number

Course Title

MATH 001

MATH 141 stretch

Algebra with Applications (course covers same content as MATH 141 but meets more often for increased contact with instructor) Go to to request a seat.

MATH 131/141

MATH 141

Algebra with Applications

MATH 151 (Note: not MTH 151)

MATH 151 or SCMA 171

Precalculus or Math Applications for Business

MATH 200

MATH 200 or SCMA 212

Calculus with Analytic Geometry or Differential Calc & Optimization

Students interested in Finance, Risk Management, Financial Technology, health professions, or pursuing graduate studies in any field should register for the “MATH” sequence instead of the SCMA sequence. VCCS (Virginia Community College System) Students - If you only completed MTH 163, your credit will transfer as MATH 141 (Algebra). You must complete both MTH 163 (Pre-calculus I) and MTH 270 (Applied Calculus) at the community college in order to earn credit for both SCMA 171 and SCMA 212 at VCU.

Write down the Math class you will register for on your registration worksheet: MATH 141 or MATH 141 “stretch” MATH 151 or SCMA 171 MATH 200 or SCMA 212 NONE-MATH COMPLETE

Students are required to register for INFO 162 Introduction to Spreadsheets prior to or during the same semester as SCMA 171

Writing Center Discover the benefits of having trained readers help you craft, refine and perfect your writing before you turn it in – person or online. Academic Learning Commons, Room 4230

Campus Learning Center From one-on-one tutoring to academic coaching and Supplemental Instruction sessions, the CLC provides quality academic support to all undergrads to help them reach their academic goals. Hibbs Hall, First Floor

Save time at Orientation! 1) Submit your photo online to pick up your VCUCARD at Orientation: 2) Memorize your VCU email and password for faster advising and registration.

Select the appropriate UNIV class All students at VCU are required to complete a three course writing sequence: UNIV 111 (Focused Inquiry I), UNIV 112 (Focused Inquiry II), and UNIV 200 (Inquiry and the Craft of Argument). VCCS Students – If you completed ENG111 and ENG112 with a grade of “C” or higher, you have completed your UNIV requirement at VCU. You completed 6 credits of composition at your previous institution, and you will receive 6 transfer credits at VCU. You will be waived out of UNIV 111. You will see the following courses listed on your DegreeWorks statement:

If you earned AP or dual enrollment credit, you will receive credit for UNIV 111 only. If you did not take any English composition courses at your previous institution, you will be required to complete UNIV 111, 112, and 200:

Write down the UNIV class you will register for on your registration worksheet: UNIV 111 UNIV 112 UNIV 200 NONE- UNIV COMPLETED (UNIV classes can be found in the University College subject)

IMPORTANT NOTE: Once you start taking classes at VCU, you may NOT take the UNIV courses at another institution.

Select the appropriate Accounting and Economics Classes Accounting – Do you have transfer credit for both ACCT 203 and ACCT 204? If not, please register for the appropriate class in the sequence starting with ACCT 203 if you have not transferred either course. Please note that you must earn a grade of C or better in ACCT 203 in order to progress into ACCT 204. VCCS Students – ACC 211 transfers as ACCT 203 and ACC 212 transfers as ACCT 204. If you took both of these classes at your Community College and received a C or higher, you have completed your accounting requirement:

Economics – Do you have transfer credit for both ECON 210 Microeconomics and ECON 211 Macroeconomics? If not, please register for the appropriate class in the sequence starting with ECON 210 Microeconomics if you have not transferred either course. VCCS Students – VCU teaches microeconomics first and VCCS teaches macroeconomics first. ECO 201 transfers as ECON 211. ECO 202 transfers as ECON 210. Please be careful when registering for ECON that you do not repeat a course you have already taken. If you completed both ECO 201 and 202 and received a C or higher, you have completed your economics requirement:

Write down the ACCOUNTING AND ECONOMICS classes you will register for on your registration worksheet: ACCT 203


ACCT 204




Select the appropriate BUSN and INFO Requirements BUSN 201-202 Foundations of Business I & II – Do you have transfer credit for both BUSN 201 and BUSN 202? If not, you’ll need to register for the appropriate class in the sequence starting with BUSN 201. •

UNIV 112 is a prerequisite for BUSN 201. If you have transfer credit for UNIV 112, you are eligible to register for BUSN 201.

VCCS Students – BUS 100 transfers as BUSN 201, and VCU waives BUSN 202. If you took this class at your Community College and received a C or higher, you have completed your Foundations of Business requirement.

BUSN 225 Winning Presentations – Do you have transfer credit for BUSN 225 or a Speech class? If you have a Speech class that is not allocated as BUSN 225, please email to have the course reevaluated. If you have not taken a speech class, you will register for BUSN 225. VCCS Students – If you took one of these classes at your Community College and received a C or higher, you have completed the BUSN 225 requirement: CST 100/105/110/126/200 or SPD 100/110/126/200

INFO 160, 161, 162, and INFO 165 or 166 Digital Literacy - Do you have transfer credit for INFO 160, 161, 162, and either 165 or 166? All majors take INFO 165 except International Management Majors and Marketing majors. International Management and Marketing majors take INFO 166.

VCCS Students – ITE 115 transfers as INFO 160, 161, and INFO 162. If you completed the test-out option at VCCS and this is marked on your VCCS transcript, you can be waived from some of these requirements. Please with questions.

The INFO 160, INFO 161, and INFO 162 Knowledge Equivalency Tests (KET) are test-out options that provide an alternative to taking the INFO160, INFO 161, and INFO 162 courses. This option is ideal for students who feel they have a good mastery of the concepts taught in INFO 160, INFO 161, and INFO 162 and can pass the KET without taking the course. If you are interested in taking the KET click here for more information.

Write down the BUSN and INFO classes you will register for on your registration worksheet: BUSN 225 BUSN 201 or BUSN 202 INFO 160, INFO 162, INFO 162, INFO 165 or INFO 166 (Marketing or International Management)

Select any Additional Classes Next, please check your DegreeWorks to see if you require any VCU Core requirements.

You must complete at least one course in EACH of the following areas: Humanities/Fine Arts, Social/Behavioral Sciences and Natural/Physical Sciences. If you have already taken a course that you feel should have fulfilled this requirement, please email to ask an advisor to review your transfer credits. Please specify which course you feel should fulfill the area. Do you have a General Education Certificate or Associates of Arts or Sciences (NOT Associates of Applied Sciences)? The VCU Core requirement is waived. You will see the following in DegreeWorks – note, you still must earn a minimum of 63 credits in the area and complete UNIV 111, UNIV 112, and UNIV 200.

If you have completed all Core requirements, you may still need electives to bring your total number of credits in the Foundation area to a minimum of 63. You’ll need 63 credits in Business Foundation to graduate. You can discuss this with an advisor at Orientation.

Major Course Options If you have completed all of your General Education requirements and Foundation classes, and need additional courses to bring your schedule to full-time, you may consider registering for the following courses based on your major.


Review Course Descriptions and pre-requisite information online at:

ALL MAJORS ARE ELIGIBLE TO REGISTER FOR THESE CLASSES: • MKTG 301 Marketing Principles • SCMA 301 Business Statistics I (pre-req calculus) • MGMT 310 Managing People in Organizations • SCMA 325 Organizational Communication Advanced Business course selection for each majors: ACCOUNTING MAJORS: • SCMA 323 Legal Environment of Business • ACCT 303 Intermediate Accounting I (pre-req ACCT 203) • ACCT 306 Cost Accounting (pre-req ACCT 204) • ACCT 405 Tax Accounting (pre-req ACCT 204) ECONOMICS MAJORS: • SCMA 323 Legal Environment of Business • ECON 300 Contemporary Issues in Economics (pre-req ECON 210 & ECON 211) • ECON 301 Microeconomic Theory (pre-req ECON 210 & calculus)

FINANCE MAJORS: • SCMA 302 Business Statistics II (pre-req SCMA 301) • SCMA 323 Legal Environment of Business • FIRE 311 Financial Management (pre-req calculus & ACCT 203)


MANAGEMENT MAJORS: All concentrations can take: • SCMA 323 Legal Environment of Business • SCMA 302 Business Statistics II (pre-req SCMA 301) • MGMT 331 Human Resource Management (pre-req SCMA 301) • Entrepreneurship concentrations can also take o MGMT 321 Intro to Entrepreneurship


SUPPLY CHAIN MANAGEMENT AND ANALYTICS: • SCMA 323 Legal Environment of Business • SCMA 302 Business Statistics II (pre-req SCMA 301) • MGMT 331 Human Resource Management (pre-req SCMA 301) MARKETING MAJORS (all concentrations): • SCMA 323 Legal Environment of Business • MKTG 301 Marketing Principles REAL ESTATE MAJORS: • FIRE 305 Principles of Real Estate • FIRE 311 Financial Management (pre-req calculus & ACCT 203) RISK MANAGEMENT AND INSURANCE MAJORS: • FIRE 309 Risk and Insurance • FIRE 311 Financial Management (pre-req calculus) • SCMA 302 Business Statistics II (pre-req SCMA 301) INFORMATION SYSTEMS MAJORS: • INFO 202 Intro to E-Business Technology (pre-req INFO 160) • MATH 211 (pre-req calculus) • INFO 323 Ethical, Social, and Legal Issues in Information Systems

Write down the Upper Level Business courses (if any) you would like to register for on your registration worksheet.

Registration Worksheet 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. 9. 10.



Gather all registration materials prior to logging onto myVCU’s registration system, including your eID, password, and completed registration worksheet below. Go to the VCU homepage: Roll over Students. Click on myVCU. Logon using your eID and password. Follow the directions if you have not set up your eID and password. Click on eServices (upper left hand corner) Click the Student Tab. Click Registration link. Click “Add or Drop Classes.” Select the term you wish to search and click “Submit” (e.g., Spring 2017). Click “Class Search” Select the “Subject” and click “Course Search” Select the course number for the course in which you are interested. Scroll down to find the appropriate class time, then click the check box located to the left of the CRN #. Scroll down and click the “Register” button. (If there is a “C” instead of a box, that class is closed and you must find a different section)

CRN (5 digits)


Course No.


Course Title






Math, if needed






Accounting, if needed






Economics, if needed






University Writing, if needed INFO’s, BUSN’s, electives, Advanced Core classes



You are now registered for the class. If there are any issues, i.e., a time conflict, the system will let you know via a message.

M = Monday T=Tuesday W=Wednesday R=Thursday F=Friday

Total: 15 credit


Room Number

Step 3 - Register for classes on eServices! Register for your classes using the Registration Worksheet on the previous page. Please remember you may receive a “Field of Study Restriction”. Review the list of Registration FAQs at the end of this document for how to resolve commonly asked questions. Email if you need overrides for courses. IMPORTANT REGISTRATION DATES • December-January. Meet with an advisor at Orientation to review your schedule. • Tuesday, January 17: Spring 2017 classes start. • Monday, January 23 (at 11:59pm): End of add/drop week. Last day to make adjustments to your spring 2017 schedule.

Step 4 - Attend Orientation All students are required to attend a mandatory Orientation prior to starting classes at VCU to confirm course selection. At Orientation, students will •

Meet with a Business Advisor o Review your transfer credits and preregistered classes o Register for any remaining courses Have your eID and password ready Bring an unofficial copy of your transfer transcript

Meet their department and classmates

Explore Resources o Office of Student and Alumni Engagement o Career Services

o o

Study Abroad Tour of Building

Step 5 – Start Classes @ VCU on Tuesday, January 17!

FAQs: Registration Q: Where can I find course description and prerequisite information? This information is available at Q: I have completed all but one of the courses required for admission into my major. Will I be able to register for any classes in the advanced program? It depends. If a student is enrolled in his or her remaining foundation coursework, has a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 at their transfer institution, and at least 54 credits (junior standing), then the student may be allowed overrides into advanced classes. You will receive a “Field of Study Restriction,” but you can work with an advisor to lift this restriction. If the student does not have junior standing or the required GPA, field of study overrides will not be granted. Q: What do I do if I received a “Field of Study Restriction”? You will receive this message if you try to register for an upper level business course because you are still a business foundation student. Please email to request an override. Q: What do I do if I received “Prerequisite Not Satisfied” message? If you are currently enrolled in the prerequisite coursework at your current institution, you will require a prerequisite override to register. In this event, please send an email to with the following information: • • • • •

Name Student ID number (V Number) Course number and title for the course that you are trying to register for Course number and title for the course that you are currently registered in, that meets the prerequisite The credit for the course must be posted at VCU by the start of spring classes to keep your override

Q: I want to add a class, but I am not enrolled in the prerequisite. Can I take it anyway? Prerequisites are established so students are prepared with the knowledge base needed in order to understand and apply the new information being taught in class. If you have had not had or are not currently enrolled in the prerequisite, you cannot take the course. Q: What does a “Class Conflict” error mean? You have already registered for this course. Check your student schedule in eServices to view the courses for which you have already registered. Q: What does a “Time Conflict” error mean? You have already registered for another course that meets at the same day/time. Q: How do I see my schedule? In eServices, select the “Student” tab and “Registration”. You can select either “Week at a Glance” or “Student Detail Schedule”.

Q: What do I do if I want to make changes to what I am registered for? You are able to add and drop classes via eServices or in person at Harris Hall through the end of the first week of classes. After the first week of classes, you may only withdraw from classes, so make sure to have your schedule set during add/drop week. Please refer to the VCU Academic Calendar for appropriate deadlines: Q: Can an advisor add me to a course? No. Students are responsible for their registration. Q: Will I get dropped from a course if I don’t pay my tuition bill? No. VCU does not drop you from classes if you have not paid. You will have a hold placed on your account until your balance is paid. If you do not intend to take a course, you must drop it from your schedule. Q: How do I find the textbooks I need for classes? Under the “Student” tab in eServices, select “Registration”. You’ll see a link to “Order Textbooks”. Select “Monroe Park Campus”. If a professor has selected a text for a course, you’ll see it listed here. Q: I thought I registered for a course, but I don’t see it in Blackboard. Professors have to make Blackboard available to students, which may be closer to the start of the semester. eServices shows your official academic record. Please check eServices to confirm the list of classes in which you are enrolled. Q: Can I take courses at another college while attending VCU? Students in degree programs must get permission of their advisor before enrolling in courses outside of VCU. Please consult the Course Equivalencies section of the VCU Transfer Guide to review how the classes you are planning to take will transfer back to VCU, and then make an appointment with your academic advisor. You must earn a C or higher at another institution for the credit to transfer to VCU. Q: I want to take a 300 or 400-level class such as FIRE 311 at the community college. Would this class transfer? No. You can only transfer 100 or 200-level business courses from two-year institutions. For a course to be considered for acceptance into the advanced program, it must be completed in a business program that is accredited by the AACSB International at a four-year university. Q: Will taking a class at another college help to improve my VCU grade point average? No. The GPA for fulfillment of VCU degree requirements is computed only from taking courses taken at VCU. Q: Does VCU offer online courses? How do I find night courses? Courses offered in the evenings will have section numbers starting with a 9 (for example: ACCT 405-902). There are a very limited number of online business courses. Online courses can easily be found at

Questions for your orientation advising meeting Please feel free to use this space to write any questions and/or concerns you would like addressed during your Orientation advising session:

____________________________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________________________

Welcome to Richmond!! Interested in getting involved in the city of Richmond? -Check out Carytown has tons of great shopping and dining! -Check out Maymont Park offers wonderful gardens and walking trails and is a great picnic destination. -Check out Enjoy the river by visiting Belle Isle and walking one of the scenic trails. -Check out Learn about Richmond’s rich Civil War history during a tour of Hollywood Cemetery. -Check out Fun Facts about Richmond Richmond named a top destination for food travel in 2016, by National Geographic, January 2016. Richmond ranked at No. 3 on international list of Best Places to Travel in 2016, Travel + Leisure magazine, November 2015. Richmond listed third on the "The Top 10 Cities for Millennial Entrepreneurs," by Thumbtack, September 2015. Richmond ranked 3rd on the 10 Best Places to Start a Business, Inc. magazine, Aug. 2015. *Statistics courtesy of the Greater Richmond Partnership.

VCU School of Business Winter 2016-2017 Transfer Student Preregistration Guide  

Welcome to VCU's School of Business! This pre-registration guide will help you register for Spring 2017 classes. You must still attend Orien...

VCU School of Business Winter 2016-2017 Transfer Student Preregistration Guide  

Welcome to VCU's School of Business! This pre-registration guide will help you register for Spring 2017 classes. You must still attend Orien...