REFLECTION A BOOK FOR BASIC LEVEL STUDENTS
Student:NILVA LUCIA NOVAIS Teacher: Rosana Silva do Espírito Santo
Unit 1 INTRODUCING HISTORICAL CITIES FROM MINAS GERAIS
1) Do you know the capital of Minas Gerais? 2) What do you know about the historical cities? 3) Have you been to any historical cities of Minas Gerais?
4) Find the following words in the text and underline them. Then look up the words you don’t understand in the dictionary. Successfully - pleasant – major – incomparable – wealth – landmark disloyalty- landscapes – attracted – abundant – cuisine – typical - adventure - unforgettable .
5) Read the following text silently or aloud.
The colonization of Minas Gerais State by the Portuguese occurred soon after the discovery of Brazil, on the 16th and 17th centuries. The discovery of gold and precious stones on that region attracted many explorers, who transformed the State in a Brazilian economic center at that time. Today gold is no longer abundant, but there are other treasures left, such as the unforgettable landscapes, the historic buidings, mountains, wood, clean air, lakes, caves, stories and tales. The capital, the city of Belo Horizonte, is the fourth in the Country in terms of population. Because it is a planned city, and for the wealth of its architectural complexes, neoclassic and modern, Belo Horizonte also represents a landmark for urban planning and architecture in the Country. Besides, it transformed itself in a kind of gateway to the various historic cities in the State, such as Ouro Preto and Sabará, Tiradentes, São João Del Rey, Mariana, and for the Lapinha grottos – at the municipality of Lagoa Santa – and Maquiné grottos, in Cordisburgo.
Since the colonial period, the State of Minas Gerais stands out for its cultural diversity. Music, architecture, literature and fine arts are some of the areas successfully developed by the local artists. In some cities the building of the 16th and 17th centuries are preserved until today, and express the incomparable art of the mineiro baroque. The most famous of them is Ouro Preto, stage of the Mineira Disloyalty – first movement towards the independence of Brazil – and on the likes of Diamantina and the Sanctuary of Bom Jesus de Matosinhos, in Congonhas do Campo, it has been recognized by Unesco as Heritage of Humanity. With a varied relief and vegetation, the region still keeps on its valleys and mountains pleasant destinations, such as Governador Valadares, where hang gliding is the major attraction; Três Rios, ideal for adventure sports adepts, with rafting, canyoning and vertical practices; Grande Sertão Veredas Park, for those who like to visit grottos and caves; and countless historic cities adorned on the purest Brazilian baroque style, where the residents are cordial and hospitable. Second economy in the Country – losing only to the State of São Paulo –, the State of Minas Gerais is also known for its cuisine – good and hearty – famous for delicacies such as the cheese bread and typical dishes like tutu à mineira and chicken in dark sauce. The historic relics and culinary delicacies from Minas Gerais State are waiting for you. Come, and become a fan! www.braziltour.com/sites/en/destinos
6) Write T (true) or F (false). a)___________ The colonization of Minas Gerais State by the American. b)___________ The colonization occurred soon after the discovery of Brazil, on the 16th and 17th centuries. c)___________ Today, there are other treasures left, such as the unforgettable landscapes, the historic buildings, mountains, wood, clean air, lakes, caves, stories and tales. d)__________ The capital, the city of Belo Horizonte, is the second in the Country in terms of population. e)__________ Belo Horizonte also represents a landmark for urban planning and architecture in the Country. f)__________ The capital of Minas Gerais transformed in a kind of gateway to the various historic cities in the State, such as Ouro Preto and Sabará, Tiradentes, São João Del Rey, Mariana, Lagoa Santa and Cordisburgo.
7) Write a short paragraph about the most interesting historical city that you have seen recently. _______________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________ _________________________________________________
LANGUAGE STRUCTURES 1) Read the statements below and note the use of in, on, at and from. My father was born in February. My parents live in Belo Horizonte. My sister was born on March 15, 2000. We live at 240 Vila Real. I am visiting your country for a short time. A: Do you live near here? B: Yes, on Amazonas avenue. A: Is your father From Italy, too? B: No, he’s Brazilian. A: Are you from Japan B: Yes. I was born in Tokyo
2) Fill in the blanks with the correct preposition: DATES: _________ 2007 ( year ) __________ January (month) __________January 2nd
PLACES: ___________ The Dominican Republic ( places of residence, location) ____________ Porto Street (streets) ____________630 Porto Street (number + streets) ____________Ouro Preto (cities) ____________Brazil (countries of origin)
FAMOUS PLACES Work in pairs. Do you know where these places are? Write the corresponding cities and countries. Example: Where is Corcovado? In Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. a) Where is Igrejinha da Pampulha? __________________________________________________ b) Where is Grande Sertão Veredas Park? ____________________________________________________ c) Where is Guanabara Park ? _____________________________________________________ d) Where is the Sanctuary of Bom Jesus de Matosinhos? ______________________________________________________ 3) Write the appropriate questions to these answers. a)____________________________________________________ My parents are Brazilian. b)____________________________________________________ My brother’s 20 and my sister’s 18. c)____________________________________________________ I was born in 1985. d)___________________________________________________ My name’s Daniel. e)__________________________________________________ My birth date? November 21st,1988. f)__________________________________________________
My fatherâ€™s a dentist.