1886 to 1914
elected many more representatives to the Provincial legislature. City councillors for the new Coquitlam protested loudly about the unfairness of this situation and called for a legislative redistribution to increase the number of seats for their district.4
Absentee Land Owners In 1901, Coquitlam had 147 ratepayers (i.e. people who paid property tax), 120 of whom lived elsewhere.5 Many present streets in Coquitlam and Port Coquitlam are named after early settlers and residents: e.g. David, Walton, Hawthorne, Atkins, Kelly, McLean, Munday, etc. The absentee landowners were not necessarily wealthy people. One of them was George Munday, after whom Mundy Park is named (at some point the “a” disappeared from the name of the park and the street).
Looking North Up King Edward St.
The New Municipality The boundaries of the new municipality included not only present day Coquitlam, but also what is today Port Coquitlam. The two municipalities shared a common history from 1891 until 1913, when they separated. And in 1893 the District of Coquitlam expanded east to the Pitt River (annexing what had been a part of Maple Ridge). Somewhat ironically, one of the new District’s first public works in 1892 was to build a city tax collector’s office in Westminster Junction. More promisingly from the taxpayer’s perspective, in the same year it also constructed a public wharf at the
end of Pitt River Road, south of Mary Hill on the Fraser River.3 But the new city faced a problem. A growing population required public infrastructure (roads, bridges, wharves, etc.), but the District had few sources of revenue. At the time, grants from the provincial government to municipal governments were based on the number of representatives elected in each area to the Provincial legislature. Vancouver Island had a much smaller population than Westminster District (which included Coquitlam) on the mainland, but
George Munday and his wife Constance emigrated from England to Canada in 1869, eventually settling in Sapperton (New Westminster), British Columbia. For most of his life, George worked as a lather contractor. In a local version of Romeo and Juliet, George’s daughter Annie Munday, then 17, eloped in 1880 with Donald McLean, 24, son of another pioneer family in the Tri-City area. They rode together on a grey horse to Bellingham, Washington, where they were married. Their elopement may have been the result of religious differences between the Mundays and the McLeans. George Munday received a Crown grant around 1895, which was put into his wife’s 31
Published on Mar 3, 2017