Page 117

Putting At Burquitlam Golf Course 1948

Canadian Potteries, a subsidiary of Crane Ltd.) also located in Coquitlam.7 Burquitlam Plaza served as a shopping centre for the new subdivisions of Harbour Chines, Glenayre, Sullivan Heights, and Seaview. In 1958 the owner of Burquitlam Plaza confidently predicted that within three to five years it would be at the centre of an additional four to five thousand homes.8 The newspapers regularly reported rapid increases in the number and value of building permits. Municipal and regional government officials were well aware of the future needs of a growing population. For example, in 1956, James Wilson, an official with the Lower

Education The local school district scrambled to build new schools for the increasing number of students. Until they were completed, the school district operated under “double shifts” with half the children in school in the morning and the other half in the afternoon. Meanwhile, separate Catholic schools continued to serve Roman Catholic students in Maillardville. The Catholic school board felt that it was contributing to the public system through property taxes without receiving any of the benefits. Disputes arose over use of public school buses, funding for dental care for Catholic students, and property tax exemption for Catholic schools. This led in April, 1951, to a walk out of Catholic students and teachers. This demonstration did not resolve the conflict, which continued to simmer throughout the 1950s.10

Recreation Facilities New or improved public amenities during this time included a $41,000 outdoor swimming pool built at Blue Mountain Park in 1958.11 (This year marked the centennial of the mainland colony of British Columbia. Government funding always seems to flow more readily when celebrating historical milestones.) This was the District’s first public recreation facility and a good example

of the close cooperation between School District #43 (Coquitlam) and the City’s public recreation program. At the same time that Blue Mountain pool opened, the City paid for a District wide Grade 6 public school swim program, including instruction on lifesaving. The School District had earlier agreed in 1953 that free use of school facilities would be extended to District of Coquitlam public recreation programs.12 Playground equipment, water taps, and picnic tables were installed in Como Lake Park and the lake itself was stocked with 2,000 trout.13

The 1950s and 1960s

Mainland Regional Planning Board, called on the city to start planning for an eventual population of 120,000.9

Shopping Hours The 24/7 shopping hours that we take for granted today were unheard of in 1950s Coquitlam. For example, during the Christmas shopping season of 1954-1955, City Council granted Coquitlam merchants a temporary permit to stay open Friday nights. This was extended in January until the merchants decided on a more permanent policy.14 And in 1958, Maillardville merchants asked City Council to change the five day shopping by-law, which required all stores to close on Mondays.15 New Problems However, some modern conveniences that we take for granted were slow in coming to some parts of the city. Take the telephone, for example. In 1955 residents in the area of Como Lake pleaded with City Council for help in obtaining telephone service. Apparently they had been trying for years without success to get phone service from either New 109

Hoc historybook030311 blk  
Hoc historybook030311 blk  
Advertisement