Brand & SWOT Analysis Project Valerie Davidson November 2012 BDV 3.2.3. Project 1
To establish a renewed awareness of the Dr. Bronner’s brand. To increase the customer base, thus increasing sales and generating revenue to enable the company to continue and expand it’s work in making the World a better place. To make Dr. Bronner’s a household name in the industry of healthy organic products.
* Soap makers for over 150 years. * Emanuel Bronner, master soapmaker, started Dr. Bronner’s Magic All-One liquid soap company in 1948. * Sales boom in the 1960’s. * Environmental excellence and ethical voice made Dr. Bronner’s a number one selling organic natural brand soap in North America. * Currently the business is being run by 4th and 5th generation family members.
* Health and beauty aids. These include a line of soaps, lotions and lip balm. Hair Product have been added. * Dr. Bronner’s now oﬀers an all-purpose cleaner.
Social and environmental causes include: * Organic Awareness and Education * Certified Fair Trade * Industrial HEMP Advocate * GMO Labeling * Fair Shake re-entry resource center * All One Arc Interblastive Foam Shower and Spa Experience
To continue to share and take care of the brothers and sisters of the Earth. This is done by providing environmentally perfect, complete organic products and stepping up to the causes that have a positive impact on human nature and planet Earth.
* * * * * *
To grow and give. The intention is to elevate social responsibility. Continue to create products only from certified fair trade suppliers. Fight the good fight for the USDA organic label. Support the use of Industrial Hemp. Evaluate key points of the current brand to meet current market trends. Make the world organic.
* * * * * *
Family oriented. Socially Responsible. Non-prejudiced over culture or ethnic background. Employees are recognized as part of the vital structure of the whole. The moral statement of the company is “All–One.” Quality over quantity is divine.
Found in health food stores and drug stores. Labeling is unique against competitor’s products. Certified USDA organic. Product is used worldwide. Rated the “Greenest Beauty Brand” on the market by Greenopia, Experts on Living Green. * Average rating of the Dr. Bronner’s products on Amazon is 4.5 out of 5. * * * * *
* Health conscious people. * Men/women/children of any age. * Worldwide online market.
* Liberal Politically-Minded Environmentalists. * Baby Boomer Generation Hippies. * Worldwide Consumers. * Urban 20 – 70 year olds. * Eco-Conscious Trend Setters.
* * * * * * *
Natural food store shoppers Health alternative seekers Alternative medicine users Purists Earth conscious individuals Socially responsible people Green advocates
Good for your conscience and your body
Consumers do not have to worry about what they are using because the product is not only USDA Certified Organic, but it is also good for the environment. Certified organic products are made with ingredients that are grown free of pesticides, herbicides and genetically modified organisms.
Educates the population
The company provides ample opportunity for community education through workshops and events.
Profits are dedicated to â€œHuman Projectsâ€? all over the world
Money spent on Dr. Bronner products helps to fund the many causes the company supports to make the world a better place to live.
* The Dr. Bronner’s Unique Selling Proposition is its 18-in-1 uses claim.
* Raised the bar on the standard for labeling a product “organic.” * Uses 100% Certified Fair Trade products. * Because they are the best product on the market.
The liquid soap and soap bar have the same label elements that has made Dr. Bronnerâ€™s popular.
This product has created a product similar to the Dr. Bronnerâ€™s liquid soap. Kiss My Face company advertises widely.
“Constructive Capitalism is where you share the profit with the workers and the Earth from which you made it.”
Using Dr. Bronner’s product promotes a healthier, happy life. Bringing knowledge of organic use to the awareness of the user brings the idea of a better world into action. There is no doubt that the consumer will feel good knowing they are helping to make Dr. Bronner’s vision a reality.
* To determine whether current brand is successful and re-branding is necessary. * To analyze the current identity elements and determine if new packaging design is needed. * To evaluate advertising methods and expand marketing options. * To increase product awareness and benefits by improving product positioning.
* * * * * * * *
Positive publicity pieces Label is nostalgic and recognizable Expert knowledge of organic benefits Participates in worthy causes Explores new ideas for product Positioned in major stores Excellent employee benefits Brand has a loyal following
* * * * * *
Packaging design may be outdated Company may be identified as too liberal Target audience is limited Product line has an inconsistent look Website is clunky and outdated Product lacks exposure
* * * * * * * *
Positive publicity can increase sales Expand health and beauty products Promote awareness of the Brand vision Position in more locations Outreach opportunities are growing Packaging label re-design Re-design online communication It is all about marketing
* * * * * * * *
Weather could increase supply costs Economic downturn Could lose their high ranking Competitors use more aggressive marketing Supporting political causes is costly Label is easily overlooked by consumers Foreign involvement is risky More companies are going organic
* Create a multi-media awareness advertising campaign. * Inform and educate the public that Dr. Bronner’s products are completely enviro-friendly. * Develop a packaging committee to move forward with new ideas for product design. * Highlight major selling points and company vision. * Research target markets for the website. * Explore logo re-design with the company.
“Wash with a clean conscience.” Dr. Bronner’s is a conscientious Earth-minded company that produces an organic product made with premium organic ingredients. It is ranked top selling. The Dr. Bronner brand spans over five decades. The company’s revenue enables continued support of causes consistent with their mission phrase “Constructive Capitalism.” The look of the brand remains unchanged. The product label is packed with the Dr. Bronner philosophy.
References * Bear, Jacki Howard. (2012) Develop Your USP. Retrieved on November 22, 2012 at http:// desktoppub.about.com/cs/freelance/a/usp.htm * Dr. Bronner’s. (2012) Retrieved on November 26, 2012 at http://www.drbronner.com/ good_articles.php * Greenopia. Dr. Bronner’s. Retrieved on November 29, 2012 at http://www.greenopia.com/USA/ beauty_listing.aspx?ID=2&input=&Listpage=0 * Global Healing Center. (2012). The beneﬁts of organic soap. Retrieve on December 1, 2012 at http:// www.globalhealingcenter.com/miscellaneous-‐health-‐and-‐wellness/organic-‐soap * Grist. (n.d.). Dr. Bronner’s says competitors aren’t really organic. Retireved on November 28, 2012 at http://grist.org/article/bronners/ * Huﬀ Post. (2011). Organic skin care: green beauty solutions. Retrieved on December 1, 2012 at http:// www.huﬃngtonpost.com/2011/07/12/organic-‐skin-‐care-‐green-‐beauty_n_895834.html * Seireeni, Richard. (n. d.) The gort cloud. Retrieved on November 30, 2012 at www.thegortcloud.com/ index.html
Image Reference * Arc http://www.drbronner.com/all_one_ark.php#tab-‐2 * Bar code http://www.centsablemomma.com/wp-‐content/uploads/2011/02/iStock_000012676012XSmall.jpg * Products http://www.drbronner.com/DBMS/SFNT.htm * Mrs. Meyes http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Q5b0BpIoMuc/TGxmlPTFCzI/AAAAAAAABiY/DGr5EF7pNs4/ s1600/6a00d8341c81f953ef0120a6206c67970b-‐800wi.jpg * Kiss my Face http://www.kissmyface.com/product/item/162 * Truck http://lisa.drbronner.com/wp-‐content/uploads/2012/10/prop-‐37-‐truck.jpg * Soap covered tribe http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?jid=474961349180643&set=pb. 133226710020777.-‐2207520000.1354252552&type=3&theater * Hemp http://www.drbronner.com/hemp.php * Dr. Bronner Logo http://i4es.org/Images/drb_horiz_logo_col * Basket Carried http://www.drbronner.com/indie/palm-‐being-‐transported.jpg * Hemp http://www.cannabissativa.com/wp-‐content/uploads/2011/04/hemp_ﬁeld_better_than_soy.jpg * Palm http://www.soyatech.com/UserFiles/palm1.jpg
Published on Dec 12, 2012