Boldre Parish Historical Society Newsletter Autumn 2015 - Spring 2016 Volume 2 - Issue 3 Never doubt you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy Marge P iercy is an American poet, novelist and social activist.
In this Issue Welcome from your Chairman Dr James Horsfall The talks during January and April were deemed to be very good and I hope that the talks for 2016 will be equally appreciated. Finding speakers to talk about local history, past activities and functions is getting more and more difficult. Any thoughts or ideas you may have for talks for the next year or so would be very welcome. We are trying to get together a collection of photographs of houses in the parish of Boldre with their history and in particular those that were shops in the past. We have gathered together photographs and history of several wells on peoples properties. If you know of any not yet recorded please let us know. Your Vice Chairman, Ian Wild with his wife Ann are very busy organising our biennial exhibition, which is being held on Saturday 24 and Sunday 25 October at the Memorial Hall. Earlier this year Ian resigned as Chairman of Boldre Parish Council after more than 13 years service, (11 years as Chairman), following in the footsteps of his grandfather, Herbert Goodall and his uncle, Alan Goodall, also past chairmen. Patrick Kempe, your membership secretary, has set up a web site, for the Society. It can be found at https://www.boldreparishhistoricalsociety.co.uk. As ever a very big thank you to James Puttick for putting together our spring and autumn newsletters.
The Annual General Meeting November 2015 This yearâ€™s AGM will be held on Friday 20 November 2015 at the Boldre War Memorial Hall at 7.00 pm., when your annual subscription falls due. After the meeting John Cockram and Richard Williams will tell us about The New Forest at War in 1915.
New Forest ponies at the Pilley Drift August 2015
Welcome from your Chairman AGM November 2015 Forthcoming Events Events Review Fire Insurance Marks Snippets
P1 P1 P1 P2 to P7 P7 P7
2nd World War Correspondence Society Officials
Forthcoming Events at The Boldre War Memorial Hall at 7.00pm Wednesday 13 January 2016 Talk by Donald Mackenzie The Burrard Neale Monument Anniversary Restoration Project Wednesday 27 January 2016 Talk by Frank Green The Salterns and recent Archaeological work Wednesday 10 February 2016 Talk by Nick Evans Ancient trees and woods of the New Forest Wednesday 2 March 2016 Talk by Susan Campbell Capability Brown Kitchen Gardens in Hampshire Wednesday 23 March 2016 Talk by Philip Unwin The SS Great Britain in Bristol The Concorde of the Day Wednesday 6 April 2016 Open Meeting Where you can ask anything concerning the history of the parish of Boldre. Discussion, questions and maybe answers.
Boldre Parish Historical Society Newsletter Autumn 2015 - Spring 2016 Page 2
Events Review As your Chairman said in his Welcome Notes the talks at the beginning of this year have been very well received. It takes an extremely long time and a great deal of effort on his part to find and organise speakers to entertain us. We should therefore congratulate him and thank him for his hard work. The summary of the last four talks follows. The final talk was a departure from the normal format. Instead of the usual slides we enjoyed a presentation by representatives from The Wessex Film Archive of historical and rare film relating to The New Forest.
1 Bygone days ………. The first event in February saw Peter Roberts return to the Memorial Hall to give a talk on the 17th Century New Forest. Peter commenced his talk by reminding us that “New” means 1079 and Forest does not necessarily mean trees but is a legal term to protect the area for the king's hunting. The original forest laws were harsh but developed and eased over time replacing punishments with fines. The next major change came in Tudor times with the Dissolution of the monasteries (1536-1540) by Henry V111 and the start of the Empire (circa 1600) requiring timber for castles and ship building. The New Forest was naturally an important source of timber and the management of Crown woods for timber was formalized in an Act of 1542, which created the Court of Surveyors. It is from that time that we have the current chief forest officer's title the Deputy Surveyor. The Forest was also controlled by the Lord Warden who was the chief royal official and whose duty was to preserve the game and maintain the forest unchanged. With two departments of government looking after the same area, one for recreation and the other for timber production acrimony often arose and there were numerous difficulties between the departments for three hundred years. Masterkeepers were in charge of a bailiwick – a forest division – with an under-keeper performing the work on the ground. Their work was difficult for many of the inhabitants had easy access to wood and needed it for their occupations. Although some was allocated much was purloined. The officers themselves were not above suspicion. The Civil War (1641-1642) appeared to have little impact on the Forest with no known skirmishes let alone battles. Even the captured King Charles's journey from the Isle of Wight through the Forest to his trial and execution in London seems to have been largely unrecorded. A detailed survey of one village, Minstead, gave an indication of life at the time. Many of the inhabitants had orchards and ninety per cent had cattle although they held a variety of other jobs as well. A lot were connected with the Forest and wooden products. Perhaps the most surprising was the number of people involved in charcoal making. It transpires that the New Forest was the major area for this industry for several hundred years. A small amount was required by the village forges and some was used in chafing dishes to provide an even heat for cooking. The remainder was shipped around the coast, mainly to Cornwall for use in the tin smelting business. Some of the occupants of the Forest were entrepreneurs with an interest or share in coastal boats. The method of producing charcoal whereby wood is used to 'cook' wood was well illustrated by pictures of an earth-burn at Beaulieu. This needed careful building and constant attention to a controlled process to ensure that the burn did not flare up. Waste wood was used for this business whilst the better material was used for all sorts of things from house building, through carts, rakes, ploughs and much else, to platters. We were reminded that wood was the fuel of the day and like oil could be transformed into a huge number of important objects. Seventeenth century inventories – a list of the possessions of a deceased person – provide an indication of the way of life of ordinary people and incidentally show the number of rooms in the property as well as outhouses and barns. The wills and inventories of a whole village throughout the century have been examined and tell us much about the times. Cattle were by far the most important animal with an average of eleven held as against two ponies and four and a half pigs. Dairy cattle were far more abundant than today with most holdings having some for their own use. Following the civil war and with the breakdown of the old forest system of governance the Forest became an unruly place in the latter part of the century. A series of enquiries intended to establish the nature of the problems and find solutions have provided us with much detail of the happenings of the time. Neighbour reported on neighbour, with one lady describing the suspicious activities details of her neighbour. She stated that he stole timber from the forest and sold it in Totton and Southampton and when he went about his business he did so as quietly as possible so that nobody would know. When she confronted him he blocked up his hedges with boughs so that she couldn't see what he did. Peter reminded us that whilst much has changed much has remained unchanged. For example many of today’s large houses were farms in the 17th century and the ways of communal working through the drifts – the annual pony roundups – are still continuing, as they have for hundreds of years.
Boldre Parish Historical Society Newsletter Autumn 2015 - Spring 2016 Page 3
Events Review continued ………. 1 Bygone days continued ………. A question and answer session followed Peter’s talk with many members voicing their concerns over the changes in the operation and administration of the Christopher Tower reference library in Lyndhurst. The main concern was the loss of the expertise of the two librarians, Jude James and Richard Reeves. A few dozen slides at the end showed us some of the wealth of flora and fauna that we are privileged to retain in this special area.
2 Victorian Lymington ………. It was a delight to have Angela Trend with us to tell us about the Victorian era in Lymington. Angela made us all sit up and take notice when she started her talk by stating ‘Victorian Lymington? You must be joking! What did the Victorians do for us?’ An understandable comment when one looks up and down Lymington High Street. There is only one obvious Victorian building. Look up and the wealth of Georgian architecture can be see above the modern shop fronts. What was Lymington like when Victoria became Queen in 1837? The street scene of 1830 is recognisable today. There is even a gas lamp installed by the Burrards in 1832, the date of the Reform Bill, which increased the number of those eligible to vote for the two Lymington MPs. Lymington was what was known as a rotten borough. A rotten borough was a parliamentary constituency that had declined in size but still had the right to elect members to the House of Commons. In 1831 the Lymington constituency consisted of only thirty-eight electors who elected the two MPs. There must have been appreciation of Sir Harry and his brother, Rev’d George Burrard. The monument over the river at Walhampton commemorates Sir Harry Burrard Neale, his character, leadership and bravery in battle. The streets were rutted, dirty, unpaved and repaired by ploughing, and covered with wood and gravel. The forest was not fenced so animals roamed the streets. Sheep and cows bound for the ferry were driven down the road or into Mr Topps slaughter House – now The Buttery. Ladies wore pattens, similar to clogs, and all crossed the road on raised paths as in bottom right of the picture (1). There were no drains or running water. In fact, two thirds of Lymington’s 600 wells were polluted. Lymington in the 1830s was poorer than the industrial North. Once rich from the profits of exporting salt made in the Salterns along the coast, things changed with the discovery of the Cheshire salt mines where salt could be just dug out rather than the long evaporating and boiling process. Salt was essential in dyeing, tanning and preserving; food was salted to preserve it during long winters. Roman soldiers were paid a salary in salt. In Lymington the wealthy profits evaporated. The effects of soldiers and sailors returning with no work after the French wars, the effect of the poor harvests, the Corn Laws, the introduction of Free Trade and reduced taxes made even smuggling unprofitable. Life was hard in early Victorian days. The Market Hall, built by the Burrards before a visit of George III, stood at the junction of New Street and the High Street. The Saturday Market and two former fairs date back to two charters of 1100 given by the then landowner Earl William de Redvers. The wealthier shopped in the High Street, giving orders from the comfort of their carriages and not settling bills for three months, while the poor used St Thomas Street. Near the Market Hall were the butchers’ shambles and the stocks, ducking stool and pillory, legal requirements until the 1870s. The Blind House, or prison, was in New Lane. Major offences were judged by visiting magistrates. There was a constable but no police force until the 1860s. The established church was powerful in early Victorian times. Churchwardens were responsible for law, punishment, repairs to public buildings, fire protection, the poor, sick and vagabonds. Although education was not compulsory until late in Victoria’s reign it was felt that teaching children to read enough to read their bibles, boys to farm and do woodwork and girls to sew, would equip them to both follow the Ten Commandments and learn enough to be useful workers. The Baptists in 1831 were first to build their own church in New Lane with a baptism bath and a school under the church. The National School opposite (St Barbe’s) followed with a larger school, above ground, and with a large playground attracting children from the Baptists. The Presbyterians (now United Reform) had a church with attached British School in the High Street. The Catholics were funded by the Weld family with fine a Victorian Church (not seen from the street) in 1859.
Boldre Parish Historical Society Newsletter Autumn 2015 - Spring 2016 Page 4
Events Review continued ……….
2 Victorian Lymington continued ………. So what did the Victorians do for Lymington? The mayor and burgesses and many church tasks were, by 1902, taken over by town and county council. The church lost its role with the poor, law and order, fire, health and roads. By 1901 education was free for all. Registration of births, marriages and deaths was formalised. At the beginning of the century the fastest transport was a galloping horse but by the end we had cars, railways, ships and bicycles, all brought about from the industrial revolution. Life had speeded up, communication in all forms, telephone, telegraph and newsprint, was quicker and cheaper. The old industries of salt and smuggling had been lost but new ones gained with boat building, touring and engineering. Mass production had replaced self sufficiency but here was more choice and the pace of life had increased. Some things did not change, however. The rich were still rich and the poor still poor, many working in service.
Toll House Walhampton
Outside of The Angel
3 The Green Jackets ………. The second of our March events welcomed Jonathan Gerrelli back to the Memorial Hall to tell us about the work of the Verderers and Agisters in the New Forest. Jonathan is the Head Agister and to use his description, foreman of a team of guys in the forest. He commenced his very informative talk by describing the organisations that care for the 90,000 acres of New Forest and the responsibilities they have. These organisations are the New Forest National Park, the Forestry Commission and the Verderers including the Agisters and Commoners. The New Forest was awarded National Park status in 2005 when the New Forest National Park Authority was set up. The main aim of the National Park is to conserve and enhance the natural beauty, wildlife and cultural heritage of the area and by working in partnership with other organisations to foster the economic and social well-being of the local communities within the National Park. The Forestry Commission are responsible for protecting, expanding and promoting the sustainable management of woodlands and increasing their value to society and the environment. In the New Forest this also includes management of the deer population, providing and controlling the forest camping sites and providing many different types of employment. The Verderers are a statutory body established in 1877 although their history goes back to at least the 13th century when they were a court within the forest authorised by the Crown. Their role is to protect and administer the New Forest’s unique commoning practices and to conserve its traditional landscape, wildlife and character together with safeguarding a viable future for commoning, which is at the heart of its responsibilities. Jonathan explained how these organisations had to work together and although conflict arose on some occasions he said it would be a sad day if one body had too much influence. He continued his talk by explaining in detail the Verderers’ court, the Agisters’ duties and the commoners responsibilities. Today the Verderer’s Court comprises ten members. The Official Verderer, who is the chairman and whose post is a statutory appointment made by Her Majesty the Queen. There are five elected Verderers who represent the Commoners and the other four posts are appointed, one each, by DEFRA, the Forestry Commission, the National Park Authority and Natural England. The Court meets on the third Wednesday of each month (apart from August and December) in the Verderers’ Hall, The Queens House, Lyndhurst. The meeting commences in closed session at 9.30am and at 10am the public may attend the Court when they are able to make Presentments to the court providing it pertains to the New Forest or its management. Jonathan takes great pride in opening the Court by standing in the dock and shouting “Oyez, oyez, oyez, All manner of persons who have any presentment to make or matter or thing to do at this Court of Verderers, let them come forward and they shall be heard. God save the Queen!” Because of the overlap of roles the Verderers must work with their partners and therefore they spend a great deal of time regulating development on the forest to ensure they can achieve their objective of protecting the New Forest.
Boldre Parish Historical Society Newsletter Autumn 2015 - Spring 2016 Page 5
Events Review continued ………. 3 The Green Jackets continued ………. This can include changes and increases to recreational activities such as camp sites and car parks, the burning of gorse, the digging of pipe lines, drainage and the protection of mires. They also oversee Commoning activities including the welfare of the animal stock, the turnout of stallions and the payment of marking fees. Most of this day to day work is where Jonathan and his team, of Agisters, are employed. There are five Agisters, including Jonathan, each being allocated a particular area within the Forest. Their duties include overseeing, managing and monitoring the commoners stock, the collection of marking fees and organising the annual drifts. The history of the Agisters can be traced back for many centuries. In the 18th and 19th centuries they were known as "marksmen", however their name is derived from the word "agist", which means to care for and feed cattle or horses for payment. The work can at times be difficult and arduous because they have to be out on the forest in all conditions at anytime of the year and very often on their own. This means they must be excellent riders and capable of handling all types of livestock. The commoners are people who own or occupy property which has forest rights attached to it. The common rights, which apply in the New Forest are, pasture, mast, pasture for sheep, estovers, marl and turbary. The right of pasture allows a commoner to turn out ponies, cattle, donkeys and mules onto the open forest. The right of mast or pannage is the practice of releasing, in the autumn, domestic pigs in the Forest in order that they may feed on fallen acorns, beechmast, chestnuts or other nuts. This provides food for the pigs and limits the supply of acorns, which are poisonous to the ponies and cattle. The right of pasture for sheep is now infrequently exercised. Estovers derived from a French word meaning "necessary" was used to confer the right or ability to take firewood from the forest. This wood is now allocated by the Forestry Commission. The rights of marl, to dig clay and turbary, to dig turf for fuel, are no longer exercised. A record of the land and properties to which the forest rights are attached is set out in the Atlas of Forest Rights (published in 1953), which is held at the Office of the Verderers in Lyndhurst. The Rights cannot be taken away. One of the saddest duties undertaken by an Agister is the attendance at a road traffic accident on a forest road, which involves livestock. Unfortunately, despite many initiatives the number of animal deaths does not decrease. The initiatives include the provision of reflective collars for the ponies, the side of roads being cleared to provide better visibility and post and rail fencing being erected near bridges and blind corners. Speed is frequently the cause of animal deaths and throughout the forest the police set radar speed traps at regular intervals. The speed traps can catch upwards of 800 motorists a month exceeding the 40mph speed limit. The Agisters are also concerned that some motorists are unaware of the freedom the ponies and cattle have to roam the forest. They therefore take every opportunity to speak to motorists to explain the very special nature of the New Forest and the extra care motorists should take on forest roads. Other Agister responsibilities include organising the annual pony drifts (round ups) during August and November each year, and assisting with the Beaulieu Road pony sales and the stallion and bloodline schemes There are 37 drifts around the forest, the purpose of which is to record the pony details, fit a reflected collar if the owner agrees, worm the pony and brand the foal. The appropriate fees are also collected and the tail cut to show the fees have been paid. Each Agister has his own distinctive way of cutting/marking the tail. The commoners participate in the drifts with as many as 30/35 riders and pedestrians taking part. The rounding up of the ponies is a skilled operation as the ponies will run over rough ground, through woods, across streams and bogs in an effort to prevent being funnelled into the pounds where the recording and checking takes place. The commoners participation is frequently a family tradition and an opportunity to talk ponies all day long. The Beaulieu Road sales has a long tradition as the premier sale ring for New Forest ponies. It is in fact the only sale yard in the UK for the sale of feral ponies. It was located close to the main railway line and station in order that the ponies could be loaded directly on to the trains to be transported to work in the coal pits. In recent years the yard and sale ring have been upgraded with mains water and electricity and folk come from all over the UK to buy the ponies, which are still sold in guineas.
Boldre Parish Historical Society Newsletter Autumn 2015 - Spring 2016 Page 6
Events Review continued ………. 3 The Green Jackets continued ………. The Stallion Scheme was introduced to reduce the number of foals born each year and to improve the quality of the foals by managing the number of stallions which run on the forest each year. In the past as many as 100 stallions could be running on the forest. This has now been limited to 10. These are chosen because of their conformation, type, action and bloodlines. They are let out from mid May to mid June. The Bloodline Scheme was inaugurated because of a diminishing gene pool and the fact that in 2014 the New Forest Pony was added to the Rare Breed Survival Trust's Watch List. The scheme provides separate grazing for mares with suitable breeding who are mated with stallions with desired bloodlines. Any colt foals, which result from the scheme, will be retained and monitored as to their suitability as stallions of the future. The Verderers Grazing Scheme funds both the Stallion Scheme and the Bloodline Scheme in an effort to sustain commoning in the future. It also provides financial support for commoners who are exercising their rights in a responsible fashion. Jonathan's talks are always well received, as his easy, relaxed and articulate presentations, without any reference to notes, informs us and entertains us at the same time and this evening was no exception.
4 A Night at the Movies ………. The final meeting of the 2014/2015 season took on a different format. Instead of the usual talk with slides we were entertained by Robert and Sue Chillcott representing the Wessex Film and Sound Archive (WFSA), who showed us three films. Two were about the New Forest and one on Aviation in Hampshire. Robert and Sue are also members of the Hampshire Archive Trust. It was the Trust that helped establish the WFSA back in 1988. the WFSA is a perfect partner for the Hampshire Record Office and it therefore made perfect sense for the WFSA to accept the Records Office request to help keep the collection alive by showing some of it around the county. The Archive contains over 22000 films and over 13000 sound recordings which cover central southern England. Namely Hampshire, the Isle of Wight, Berkshire, Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire, including film and tapes of local TV and radio. It does not include feature films and general interest material, as they are already well cared for in national film and sound archives. Photographs of local interest are held by record offices, museums and libraries in the region. The film and sound items which are held are stored in temperature and humidity controlled strong rooms protected by fire and intruder alarms. The early Cellulose nitrate film, which is chemically unstable and highly flammable, is kept in a separate store on a The Hampshire Record Office different site, pending further high priority action. Holdings are acquired by means of donations, transfers, purchases, bequests, long term deposits, archive recordings by WFSA staff, and temporary deposits for copying purposes. They are received from a wide variety of sources, from individuals to corporations, and may be amateur or professional material recorded on a range of different formats dating from the 19th century to the present day. A catalogue is maintained on a computer database, available online, with the content of many items described in detail. Film and sound archive material is made available for research in copy form, to protect the originals. This may mean that some items may not be consulted if they have not yet been copied. In that case, it is best to check beforehand to see if this can be done. Whilst there is free public access (reference only) to holdings in WFSA, commercial and non-commercial use is welcomed, within the constraints imposed by copyright legislation. A facility fee is charged for this service, in addition to any royalty payments which may be due to rights owners, and users may have to pay for the copying of items to broadcast standard. Further access is provided by library loans of film compilations on video and DVD, film shows in the region and by the use of material in broadcasts, commercial videos and in museum displays. In short in today's digital age everything you need to know about the archive can of course be found on line at the Wessex Film and Sound web site. ( http://www3.hants.gov.uk/wfsa/htm) The first film called Forest Heritage was commercially produced, made by Esso and filmed in the new forest in early 1950’s. As Esso were establishing the Fawley Refinery they wanted to provide a filmed record of the landscape, its people and traditions of the New Forest. The second film was entitled "Aviation in Hampshire" was slightly different. It showed short extracts taken from much longer films which are held in the archive. The film started with a short extract of the flamboyant American aviation pioneer Samuel Cody which were filmed between 1909 and 1912. His original plane was called British Army Aeroplane No 1A - was built at what was then the Army's military balloon factory at Farnborough in north Hampshire. It was in this machine that he made what was officially recorded as the first powered flight in Britain on, circa, the 29th September 1908 reaching a height of 304 feet.
Boldre Parish Historical Society Newsletter Autumn 2015 - Spring 2016 Page 7
Events Review continued ………. 4 A Night at the Movies continued ………. We then watched extracts of the 1913 Army Airship, the 1930's Spithead Express and the 1931 Schneider Trophy. This was followed by a Spitfire in 1936, a 1925 Bird Machine and a Ken Wallis 1970 Autogyro. The final extracts showed the 1944 D-Day eve of battle, a BOAC Flying Boat in 1967 and a 1953 Hawker Hunter, which included the Odiham Hawker Hunter Coronation Air Review. The final film was entitled "New Forest Archive". It consisted of a compilation of short films which were a mixture of professionally produced extracts and amateur 8 mm films, starting with Beaulieu before 1952. After that we watched 'What’s New in the Forest' filmed in 1973, a 1962 extract of The Walhampton pony treks, a 1963 Oliver Hook film entitled 'Lymington River', 'The Queen at Bolton’s Bench' a 1979 Manuel Hinge film, a 1939 film entitled 'New Forest Borderland’, the 2003 'Race of the Rough Riders', 'The Glory of the Garden' a 1982 film about Exbury Gardens, 'The Working' Harbridge Farm Open Day in 1973 and finally The 'New Forest Show' in 2006. We all enjoyed this film trip down memory lane, which reminded us just how much the New Forest has changed over the intervening years. Other films can be viewed by using the British Film Institute web site http://player.bfi.org.uk/britain-on-film/
Fire Insurance Marks These were usually the emblem of an insurance company and were fixed to the front of insured buildings, as a guide to the insurance company’s fire brigade. In the eighteenth century an insurance company maintained its own fire brigade, which extinguished fires in buildings insured by the company. The fire brigade would also, in return for a fee to be paid later, extinguish fires in buildings insured by other companies. Fires of non-subscribers were also fought, as fires in uninsured buildings would rapidly spread to insured buildings. Fraudulent claims were sometimes made by people who stole fire marks and installed them on their own building. To help prevent this the fire marks were placed as high as possible, usually between the windows on the first floor. Boldre has its own example in Pilley, which may be one of the last to be installed, as their use gradually died out during the nineteenth century. By the beginning of the twentieth century the custom was abandoned, as the responsibility for fighting fires was becoming that of the municipal authorities.
Snippets - provided by committee member Margaret Orman The Chronicle - Thursday 6 August 1925 - Boldre Cottage Destroyed. At 6.30 pm on Monday the Lymington Fire Brigade received a call to a fire at a cottage at Pilley. A thatched cottage occupied by Mr J Phillips, was well ablaze, it being supposed that a spark had set light to the thatch. Some of the furniture was removed but the cottage was destroyed. (In 1925 the Lymington Fire Brigade were using a horse-drawn Shand Mason steam fire engine. The fire station was located in Southampton Road near the Sports Ground and the two horses, which hauled the fire engine, were stabled in the Angel Hotel yard. It may have taken about an hour for the Fire Brigade to reach Pilley and if they travelled between two to four miles Mr Phillips would have been charged four guineas by Lymington Borough Council. Based on the value of labour four guineas is worth approximately £600 today. Ed.)
New Milton Advertiser - Saturday 21st June 1958. Sandy Down Development. Subject to some standard outline conditions and the erection of only 2 dwellings on sites shown on a plan, South West Area Planning Committee recommended on Wednesday that outline permission should be granted for R F Giddings to use about 22½ acres at Sandy Down, Boldre for the erection of 5 houses. (R F Giddings could have been the owner of R F Giddings & Co Ltd, timber merchants in the Southampton, New Forest area. The north side of Sandy Down, between the rear of Setley House and the entrance to the Hampshire & Isle of Wight Wildlife Trust meadow, measures about 22½ acres. Any information the owners of houses in this area could give the Society regarding the history of their house would be appreciated. Please contact the Chairman or Deputy Chairman, for details see page 8. Ed.)
Boldre Parish Historical Society Newsletter Autumn 2015 - Spring 2016 Page 8
2ndWorld War Correspondence Letter dated 11 December 1941 from Mr George W Saunders to Mrs S Hayward. Mrs Haywardâ€™s (nee Woodman) family lived at Green Ash, Lower Sandy Down, for approximately 150 years. Green Ash was sold in 2009 following the death of her daughter in law, Joan. The Woodman family were rate/rent collectors for the local area, hence the reference to rate books at the end of the letter. However, it is thought Mr Saunders should have written 1901 to 1910, as this was the period when the Woodman family were rate /rent collectors. The books have been deposited with the Hampshire Record Office and your Society has a copy. In 1941 Mrs Hayward was living near Honiton, Devon. Myrtle Cottage is situated in Undershore Road very near the Waggon & Horses referred to in the P.S. The letter reads:Dear Mrs Hayward, I am writing on behalf of my sister, who is in the Lymington Hospital, suffering from a poisoned (right) hand, and therefore cannot write to you. The magazine I am sending you for December is the last of its kind - at any rate for the present. Giving to paper shortage and restrictions - Boldre is joining with other parishes in the New Forest Magazine - January 1942. You get the news from practically all the local parishes except Lymington, Milford and perhaps Pennington. The price is 2/- per annum plus postage 1/-. Will you please let me know, as soon as you can, whether we may have the pleasure of sending you a copy each month? Please make your Postal Order - if you send one - payable to me - not my sister. I hope that you and Mr Hayward are both enjoying good health. You will be interested to learn that Mrs Woodman has lent me three old rate books of the Parish of Boldre. Two cover the period 1801-1810 and the third is a half yearly rate book of 1875. Recently I have not had much time for studying them, but hope to do so before long. Yrs truly Geo W Saunders P.S. You have doubtless heard of the death of Mrs Cook at the Waggon and Horses Inn. Mr Cook has been ill - but is now very much better. G.W.S. If any member knows of Mr Saunderâ€™s connection with Boldre Church please let your Chairman or your Deputy Chairman know (see details below).
Society Officials and Committee Members Chairman Dr James Horsfall 01590 676728 Deputy Chairman
Part Time Secretary
Ian Wild 01590 673247
Tim Farquhar 01590 673744
Patrick Kempe 01590 675854
Patricia Langfelder 01590 688292
James Puttick 01590 623272
Committee Members Alison Bolton 01590 674607
Ted Cantrell 01590 672388
Norman Gannaway 01590 677401
George Gates 01590 678047
Angela Grainger 01590 675708
Pamela Keen 01590 626654
Margaret Orman 01590 675743 Every attempt has been made by T he Society to secure the appropriate permission for material produced in this newsletter. If there has been any oversight we will be happy to rectify the situation. Written submission should be made to the Chairman.