Page 1

U.S. Naval Hospital

Yokosuka Here to SERVE with CARE


Who will decide when you cannot? What is a Living Will? What is a Durable Power of Attorney for Healthcare? How do I obtain these important documents?

U.S. Naval Hospital Yokosuka recognizes your right to make informed decisions about healthcare. One of the ways we ensure your rights are protected is through the use of Advance Directives for Healthcare. An Advance Directive for Healthcare is a statement of your desires regarding your healthcare. There are two types of Advance Directives for Healthcare: 1. A Living Will lets you state your wishes about medical care in the event you become unable to make your own decisions. 2. A Durable Power of Attorney for Healthcare allows you to name someone to make healthcare decisions on your behalf in the event you become unable to make your own decisions. This person is known as your surrogate decision maker. Who should I appoint as my surrogate decision maker? Your surrogate may be a family member or a close friend you trust to make serious decisions. The person you name as your agent must be an adult who clearly understands your wishes and is willing to accept the responsibility of making medical decisions for you. We urge you to talk with your agent about your future medical care, and describe what you consider to be an acceptable quality of life. Am I required to have an Advance Directive for Healthcare? No. You are not required to have an Advance Directive for Healthcare in order to receive medical treatment. Who should have an Advance Directive for Healthcare? While Advance Directives for Healthcare are routinely prepared for patients who develop terminal illness, Advance Directives for Healthcare are for everyone. Some of the most challenging decisions regarding desires for healthcare occur among young healthy people who suddenly develop a serious illness.

Who should I notify of my Advance Directive for Healthcare? Keep the original signed directive in your outpatient medical record. Keep a copy for yourself. Copies should be given to your next of kin, to any named agents, and to your physician at the time of any admission to the hospital. What if I change my mind? You can change your Advance Directives for Healthcare anytime. Both types of Advance Directives for Healthcare last until stopped or changed by you. When should I update my Advance Directives for Healthcare? Advance Directives for Healthcare should be updated any time significant changes in your life occur just as you would update your service record, insurance, or other legal documents. Can I get pain medication if I have Advance Directives? YES! Your Advance Directive allows you to name the kinds of treatments you want or do not want to receive. What about organ donation? Under certain circumstances your organs may be donated to others in need. In order for this to happen in Japan, you must have a signed statement that you would like to donate your organs or your family must consent to the donation. Organ donation does not involve any expense to families, and it does not interfere with routine viewing or burial practice. If you want further information, visit the Outpatient Medical Records Department to obtain a donor card and information sheet. Will my Advance Directive for Healthcare be followed if I have to be transferred to a Japanese hospital? The approach to end of life care in the Japanese medical community can differ from usual care in the United States. Your military health care providers will ensure that your desires regarding health care are communicated to all persons involved in your treatment.

Where can I get more information on Advance Directives? Your Health Care Provider can answer questions about Advance Directives, and Naval Legal Service Office (NLSO) Yokosuka is available to help with initiating and completing the documents. Once the Advance Directive is completed, you should give a copy to the hospital to be placed in your outpatient medical record. If you are interested in more information on Living Wills or Durable Powers of Attorney for Healthcare, please contact the Legal Assistance Department at Naval Legal Service Office Pacific, 2F, Building 1555 Fleet Activities Yokosuka. NLSO Japan Yokosuka Telephone Number: 243-8901

Advanced directive for healthcare