MGT/521 MANAGEMENT **********************************************
MGT 521 Entire Course Link http://www.store.uopstudy.com/mgt-521 ********************************************** MGT 521 Week 1 Apply: Management and Applications Worksheet Purpose The driving question behind this activity is "How can I apply key concepts from Management for success in school and my career?" This activity can help you understand and apply key management concepts and tools from this week's materials to identify opportunities for becoming more efficient and effective at work while you pursue an MBA. By completing the provided worksheet, you will gather concepts, resources, and tools for building future assignments, and that can provide immediate benefits in your job and relationships, including the following:
Identify and apply course concepts for success at school, work, and community.
Enhance credibility and assure integrity by supporting your ideas with research.
Automate management of research and attributions to save time, establish credibility, and ensure integrity of your work.
Proactive Time Management Since many of the concepts in this course may be new or presented in a different perspective than your experience, consider starting to work on this early in the week. Learning has a time component; so, relying on just-in-time management to complete the assignment and other weekly activities might get the job done, but you may miss learning
value available through the exercise, while you risk missing deadlines designed to keep you focused and on track. Required Resources Garner, S. (Producer), & Boland, M. (Director). (2011). Management styles explained [Video]. Films on Demand. Retrieved from https://fod.infobase.com/PortalPlaylists.aspx?wID=18566&xtid=44682 Kinicki, A., & Williams, B. K. (2016). Management: A practical introduction (17 ed.). New York, NY: McGraw Hill Education. Recommended Attribution Tools
Attributions: Become an Instant APA Expert
Attributions: Add a Citation and Create a Bibliography [Microsoft]
Attributions: Create a References Cited Page [Microsoft]
Instructions Complete each empty cell in the Management Concepts and Applications Worksheet to define and apply key concepts from this week's materials, as follows: 1. Define. In the Define column, explain the concepts using course materials or other credible sources. a. Keep your definitions brief, 50 to 75 words. b. Success tip: Do not copy and paste definitions; make sure the definitions represent your own learning with proper citations. 2. Cite. In the Cite column, provide an in-text citation for your concepts. 1. This assignment should include at least two sources: the Management textbook and the "Management styles explained" video. 2. Success tip: Do not pull your definitions off Internet searches. Using the premium resources you're paying for will help you tap value for your tuition investment, improve your learning, and assure the integrity of your work.
3. Competency tip: Use the Microsoft® Word Citations & Bibliography features under the Microsoft® Word References tab to automate your referencing. a. Enter the details about your sources under Manage Sources. Make sure you select Style > APA. b. Use Insert Citation to insert your citation at the point of every borrowed idea. You will also use the Bibliography > References for the References Cited section at the end of the document. 2. Apply. In the Apply column, answer each question, focusing on how you can apply the concept for success in your MBA program or in your career. a. Keep your responses brief, no more than 100 words per cell. Build a References Cited page in APA format. 1. Make sure you have entered your sources using the Manage Sources option under the References tab, and inserted citations using the References > Insert Citation feature. 2. Place your cursor under the References heading at the end of the worksheet. 3. Under the References heading at the end of the worksheet, select Bibliography > References. This will automatically build your References Cited list using the information you entered using the Manage Sources option. 4. For the final touch, make sure you have selected Style > APA under the References tab. Competency Tip: The initial application of the Microsoft® Word References tab might seem a bit confusing, but the feature will save you many hours of work in the program by allowing you to automate the tedious attribution process, and help you integrate research across all your courses. Once you've entered a source under Manage Sources, that source will be available for you to apply across all papers in the course and program. For a demonstration of how to input and apply APA formatted citations and references, see Attributions: Become an Instant APA Expert.
MGT 521 Week 2 Apply: Management Planning Worksheet Resources: Ch. 5 and 6 of Management. Be sure text, at minimum, is used as citation and reference on the worksheet.
Complete the Management Planning Worksheet. Click on the Assignment Files tab to submit your worksheet.
Choose a large company, such as Amazon, Apple, Disney, or Home Depot, or a company with which you are familiar to assess the planning function of management. 1. Identify the mission and vision statements of the company.
2. Describe in a total of 175 words the strategic, tactical, and operational plans employed by the company. Determine which types of managers create each type of plan. Type of Plan
Type of Manager
3. Evaluate in a total of 350 words the companyâ€™s success in executing the three core processes of business: people, strategy, and operations. People Strategy Operations
4. Perform an environment scan, or SWOT analysis, of your chosen company. Evaluate in a total of 350 words the current direction of the company against your analysis.
SWOT Analysis Company Name:_________________________ Internal Factors (Inside Matters) Strengths
External Factors (Outside Matters) Opportunities
MGT 521 Week 3 Apply: Organizational Culture and Design Resources: Ch. 8 and 9 of Management and Case Study, Ch. 8 p. 257: IDEO's Culture Reinforces Helping Behavior Prepare a 7- to 10-slide Microsoft® PowerPoint®, Prezi, or Microsoft® Sway® presentation supporting the following scenario relative to the IDEO case description in Ch. 8 of Management. You have studied the organizational culture in place at IDEO and are making a presentation about this company to your company's top management team.
Describe the organizational culture at IDEO.
Analyze techniques used by IDEO to embed organizational culture.
Identify the organizational structure used by your organization/company. Make a recommendation as to whether you think the IDEO culture could be successfully implemented at your company.
Recommend mechanisms your company would need to employ should management decide to implement a culture change in line with the IDEO culture.
Include detailed speaker notes or add voice over to slides. Slides should contain headlines, graphics, and bullets. Include an introduction and conclusion slide, as well as a reference slide. Be sure to follow slide guidelines and include required slides. Click on the Assignment Files tab to submit your presentation.
MGT 521 Week 4 Apply: Leadership Examination Resources: Ch.12 and 14 of Management Prepare a 700- to 1,050-word paper outlining key concepts of leadership. Include the following in your paper:
Describe at least three different types of behavioral leadership approaches.
Select a prominent leader and identify their dominant leadership style. Provide examples to justify your selection.
Explain the two Situational Leadership Approaches (the Fiedler contingency leadership model and the path-goal leadership model).
Analyze their potential advantages over the behavioral leadership approaches.
Explore the uses of Transformational Leadership, including the idea that the best leaders are both transactional and transformational.
Assess the four key behaviors of transformational leaders for inspiring employees.
Use APA formatting to complete your paper. Use text AND at least 2 business journal articles as references. Do not use Google (or other search engine). Use business journal websites (Fortune, Forbes, Business Week, Fast Company, INC, HBR) or UOPX library. Click on the Assignment Files tab to submit your paper.
MGT 521 Week 5 Apply: Using the Project Planner’s Toolkit Resources: Ch. 16 of Management and Appendix: The Project Planner's Toolkit of Management and the Excel Template Apply the concepts of the tools described in the Project Planner's Toolkit. Refer to the Excel Template as an example. After studying and evaluating the components included in the Project Manager's Toolkit, evaluate which of the tools (Gantt Chart or Flow Chart) would be most appropriate for each of the following tasks and use that tool to complete the task.
1. Outline the steps involved in undertaking a job search and choosing a job. Include an analysis of the advantages and limitations of the tool as well as ideas for ways you can use the tool in business. 2. Build a schedule showing the steps for planning and preparing for your vacation. Include a description of the advantages and limitations of this tool and ideas for ways you can use it in business. Combine the charts into one Microsoft® PowerPoint® file. Click on the Assignment Files tab to submit your paper.
MGT 521 Week 6 Apply: Hewlett-Packard Case Study Analysis Complete the Hewlett-Packard Case Study Analysis. Use text, at minimum, as citation and reference in completing the the case study analysis worksheet. Be sure to demonstrate an understanding of course concepts by doing more than reporting on the case. Demonstrate use of application and analysis skills. Click on the Assignment Files tab to submit your analysis. Answer the following in up to 175- words each: 1. Describe supertrends that are driving HP to change. 2. Assess which forces for change are causing HP to undertake major organizational change. 3. Recommend how Meg Whitman could use Lewin’s and Kotter’s models of change to increase the probability of achieveing positive organizational change. 4. Determine how HP is following the four steps for fostering innovation. 5. What has happened with HP since this case was written? Determine whether the implementation of these changes has been successful. Explain what could have been done differently.
MGT 521 Week 6 Reflection Applying Lessons of Management for Success in Career and School Let's leverage this activity to reflect on and reinforce key lessons we've learned in MGT/521 Management. Instructions 1. Read "Epilogue: The Keys to Your Managerial Success" on p. 542 (Kinicki & Williams, 2016).
2. Reflect on key lessons you have learned that you can apply for success in school and at work. 3. Share a lesson with the class. 4. Look for opportunities to reinforce learning through dialog with others. Scenario After reading "Epilogue: The Keys to Your Managerial Success," address the following: 1. What is a key concept learned in this course than can directly improve your success at school, work and/or life? 2. Imagine you are a mentor for a student who will start MGT 521 next week. What advice would you give that student for being successful in the course and in the program. 3. If you were responsible for improving this course, what would you recommend?
References Kinicki, A., & Williams, B. K. (2016). Management: A practical introduction (7th ed.). New York, NY: McGraw Hill Education.
MGT 521 MGT521 MGT521 UOP Entire Course - store.uopstudy.com