Page 1


The UW System and Wisconsin Technical College System are pleased to be working together to make it as easy as possible for veterans like you to access benefits, make the transition from military service to college, and find the right fit among Wisconsin’s public colleges and universities.

The individuals and resources listed here and on the Veterans Wisconsin Education Portal website ( are available to assist you in understanding and assessing veterans’ benefits and programs. Thank you for your service to our country, and best wishes as you plan your future.


Veterans Services | Office of Registrar | Wyllie Hall, D187 | 262.595.2497


Chapter 33: Post 9/11 GI Bill

The Chapter 33 provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service after September 10, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible. The benefit provides up to 36 months of education benefits, generally benefits are payable for 15 years following your release from active duty. The Post 9/11 GI Bill is transferable to children and spouses. Additional information available online:

Yellow Ribbon Program

(in addition to Post 9/11 Bill) If you are being assessed non-resident tuition and qualify for the Post 9/11 GI Bill at 100% you may be able to use the Yellow Ribbon Program to cover the additional tuition and fees. Please send an email to requesting to use the Yellow Ribbon Program.

Chapter 30: Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty Educational Assistance-Active Duty (MGIB)

Service members may receive up to 36 months of education benefits. Members generally have 10 years to use the benefits. In addition, you may qualify for an additional 12 months under Chapter 33 once Chapter 30 eligibility is done.

Chapter 35: Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (DEA)

Chapter 35 provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of veterans who are permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition, or who died while on active duty or as a result of a service related condition. The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits. These benefits may be used for degree and certificate programs. Children must be 18-26 years old. Additional information available online: assistance.asp

UW-Parkside Veterans Services | Office of

Montgomery GI Bill: Selected and Reserve Educational Assistance Selected Reserves Program (Chapter 1606) provides education and training benefits to eligible members of the Selective Reserve, including the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve and Coast Guard Reserve, and the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard. Additional information available online:

Certain Reservists who were activated for at least 90 consecutive days after Sept 11, 2001, may be eligible for benefits. Additional information available online:

Reserve Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 1607) provides educational assistance to members of the Reserve components called or ordered to active duty in response to a war or national emergency declared by the president or Congress.

Please visit for additional information and qualifying guidelines.

Chapter 31: Vocational Rehabilitation


Wisconsin GI Bill

The WI GI Bill provides a full waiver of tuition and fees for eligible veterans and their dependents. Character of service and active duty service requirements apply. Recipient must reside in Wisconsin. Additional information available online:

Veterans Education (VetEd) The Veterans Education Grant program provides Wisconsin veterans a reimbursement grant for tuition and fees following successful course completion. Additional information available online:

Registrar | Wyllie Hall, D187 | 262.595.2497 |

Veteran’s Benefits “To-Do” Checklist 1.

Apply Application available online:

2. Submit Official Transcripts Request high school, military, and transcripts from all previous institutions of higher education to:

US Department of Veteran Affairs Education (GI Bill): 888.GI BILL 1 (888.442.4551) Wisconsin Department of Veteran Affairs 800.WIS.VETS (800.947.8387) Veterans Wisconsin Education Portal Kenosha County Veterans Affairs Aloysius “Ali” Nelson Division of Veteran Services 8600 Sheridan Rd. Suite 700 Kenosha, WI 53143-6516 262.605.6690 Fax 262.605.6695 Racine County Veterans Affairs Bradley Behling Veterans Services WFDC, 3 North 1717 Taylor Avenue Racine, WI 53403 262.638.6667 Fax 262.638.7052

Office of Admissions University of Wisconsin-Parkside P.O. Box 2000 900 Wood Road Kenosha, WI 53141-2000

3. Apply for Federal Financial Aid (FAFSA) Application available online: Parkside FAFSA school code: 005015 Contact: Blake Taylor Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid 262.595.2291 4. Apply for Veteran Education Benefits Visit our Veterans page at Additional questions: Contact Veterans Services 262.595.2497 | 5. Activate your Parkside Account and Check your Admissions Status 6. Log into your SOLAR account and pay your Enrollment Deposit Students receiving Post 9/11 or Vocational Rehabilitation benefits should contact Veterans Services to discuss the opportunity for a waiver of the enrollment deposit. 7. Register for Orientation

Veterans Services | Office of Registrar | Wyllie Hall, D187 | 262.595.2497

Profile for University of Wisconsin-Parkside

Veteran Benefits Resource Guide  

Guide to veteran student benefits at UW-Parkside.

Veteran Benefits Resource Guide  

Guide to veteran student benefits at UW-Parkside.