{' '} {' '}
Limited time offer
SAVE % on your upgrade.

Page 1

AGENDA ITEM

YOUR IDEAS LACK OF RECYCLING BINS ON CAMPUS. There is a lack of recycling bins at Lancaster & Ambleside campuses. Can we lobby the University for more bins?

2015.01

DISCUSSION IN SUPPORT

DISCUSSION AGAINST

The Panel discussed how perhaps the bins could be re-sited, if currently in poor locations.

The Panel felt there are plenty of bins on both sites and that students should just be willing to go and make use of those already provided. There are already recycle bins either in, or very close to, all catering facilities.

DISCUSSION OUTCOME / REJECTED The Panel feel that there are plenty of bins on each campus and that no further action is required. It was however suggested that UCSU should perhaps contact the submitter of this idea to check if there is a particular area where it is felt that bins are missing.

TRACKING ID CARDS

NOTES OF THE MEETING

In order to assist security when visitors get lost on campus or cause a nuisance, should visitor cards and Cumbria cards have an embedded tag with sensors along the main campus roads?

DISCUSSION IN SUPPORT 2015.02

DISCUSSION AGAINST There would be a large cost to implement this, due to the large number of visitors that come on site: for example all those who use the sports facilities and external organisations who come to events. The Panel feel that students and staff would not feel much safer being tracked. Possibly a lot less safe, in case of mishandling as their whereabouts would always be known.

DISCUSSION OUTCOME / REJECTED The Panel feel that students would not feel comfortable having their student ID tracking their whereabouts, and the cost would be too large for introducing this to visitors on site.


DISCUSSION IN SUPPORT FOOD WASTE DIVERSION Should UCSU work with the University, and students in halls of residence, to implement a food waste diversion programme? Other institutions have diverted food to local hog farms and compost facilities which can be used at local schools and community gardens. This could be piloted at Ambleside with the help of students.

2015.03

DISCUSSION IN SUPPORT Student accommodation at the Ambleside campus already has a food diversion programme and therefore the programme could be extended across campus to include catering facilities. It would work well with Grow Your Own campaign at Fusehill campus and the Panel believes that students would be willing to support this project.

2015.05

DISCUSSION AGAINST

Students travel from across London to the campus and some arrive on site early. They should be able to access the library and get refreshments. The University are planning to run a pilot for extended opening times from January. Any changes to opening hours should be communicated to students, including new pilots.

DISCUSSION OUTCOME /ACCEPTED There may be a risk of mice and rats if the food isn’t collected regularly.

The Panel requested that UCSU should speak with the University to encourage them to consider running the pilot scheme from March, when students in London are most likely to use the library during the extended hours. Any changes to opening times, affecting students, should be communicated to all students.

SELF DEFENCE CLASSES FOR WOMEN It would make students feel safer and more comfortable on and around campus if they were taught how to defend themselves. Can defence classes be provided?

DISCUSSION OUTCOME /ACCEPTED The Panel requested UCSU to encourage the University to initially introduce a food waste diversion programme across the Ambleside site, with the support from students on that site

DISCUSSION IN SUPPORT

Its dark very early in winter, should we ask the University to make the accommodation life more rich and colourful?

DISCUSSION IN SUPPORT

DISCUSSION AGAINST

A colourful environment can help with the stress levels of students who are on intense courses or during high stress times of the year, such as exam periods. Brampton Road could be much brighter, it is not very friendly.

On site accommodation at Lancaster and Fusehill was painted during the Summer, it may be that this idea came from a student whose accommodation is yet to be painted.

DISCUSSION OUTCOME /ACCEPTED The Panel requested that UCSU should speak with students in all accommodation to determine the need for their lodgings to be brighter. Results will be presented to the University should there be evidence of overall student support.

DISCUSSION AGAINST

Women would feel safer on campus on an evening but this is not a women only issue.

MAKE ACCOMMODATION MORE COLOURFUL

2015.04

DISCUSSION AGAINST

2015.06

As a result, consideration should be given to holding classes for women and then mixed classes too. This would ensure access for all students but safeguard women students who may not feel comfortable in mixed classes, for example if they have been attacked before. NHS courses hold break away sessions which are simple techniques to escape immediate danger and which may be more appropriate/useful than self-defence classes.

There was very low turnout during the self-defence classes held during the Student Essentials event in Fresher’s 2015.

Edinburgh University has small gadgets with an alarm linked to the police and security which students can purchase for a cost around £15. Any events should be better advertised and not just aimed at first year students.

LONDON CAMPUS OPENING TIMES

2015.05

When lectures start at 9 at the London campus, the library and canteen are not open and there is no other staff in the building. As trainee teachers, it is important to be early and organised and the campus does not reflect this. Can something be done?

DISCUSSION OUTCOME /ACCEPTED The Panel requested that UCSU should arrange for women-only and mixed self-defence classes for students and that these should be marketed for all year groups. The Panel have asked UCSU to report back to them on classes’ take-up numbers.


2015.07

ACADEMIC OFFICER TITLE

ACCESS TO UCSU OFFICE AT FUSEHILL CAMPUS

The Academic Officer feels that students at the Brampton Road campus don’t feel they are on an academic course so do not relate to this role. The Academic Officer would like to propose a referendum to change the title from Academic Officer to Education Officer.

The LiSS desk in front of the UCSU office makes the SU feel unwelcoming. Should UCSU liaise with the University to request the desk to be removed?

DISCUSSION IN SUPPORT

Students who have been at Fusehill for 2 years still feel intimated walking behind a desk to access the UCSU office. The desks act as barriers which normally indicate a no trespass zone. As a result, often LiSS or UCSU staff members outside have had to invite students in, as otherwise they would have been reluctant to do so. Open plan or a clear UCSU area which students feel they can access freely, can help with promotion of Union activity/events to students, helping to strengthen students/Union relations.

There is a disconnect between the students at Brampton Road and the Academic Officer. Overall, there seems to be a generic feeling that students are studying on a practical rather than an academic course.

DISCUSSION IN SUPPORT

DISCUSSION AGAINST There are a lot of students outside Brampton Rd. who similarly may feel that they are not on an academic course, but have nonetheless an understanding that the Academic Officer supports and represents them too. It is likely that changing the title may not make a difference in creating a better connection with Brampton Rd. students. Instead, the Panel suggests that the role of the Academic Officer (and of the wider Officer team) should be better advertised to help students gain a better understanding of how it supports them all. Frequent visits to the campus would also help to build better relationships with students and clarity to the role.

2015.09

DISCUSSION AGAINST

DISCUSSION OUTCOME /ACCEPTED DISCUSSION OUTCOME /REJECTED The Panel requested that the Academic Officer should spend more time at the Brampton Road campus, visiting lectures and building connections to ensure that students gain a better understanding of the role and of what issues can be brought to that Officer.

The Panel has requested that UCSU should explore with the University ways of improving this (i.e by removing one desk, adding UCSU staff at the front desk or creating a UCSU zone in the sitting area, etc.) and an update on progress is expected for the next meeting.

UNIVERSITY LOOP SYSTEMS PRAYER & WASHING ROOM FACILITIES ON FUSEHILL CAMPUS

There is a lack of working loop systems; Should UCSU lobby the University to request that the money paid to the University through disability grants be used to make the system work?

The Chapel on Fusehill Street is sometimes busy when students need to use the rooms as a prayer room and washing room for Muslims. Can an empty classroom (preferably near a bathroom) be assigned for this use?

DISCUSSION IN SUPPORT 2015.08

DISCUSSION AGAINST

Students should be able to access the facilities they need in order to practice their faith. There may also be differential needs for men and women. Some provision is made but it is unclear whether or not this is adequate as Officers themselves are not knowledgeable on the religious requirements of the Muslim faith.

DISCUSSION OUTCOME /ACCEPTED The Panel, with support from some of its members, has tasked UCSU to ensure the University are aware of the needs of our students in regards to their faith and to work with them to ensure such needs are met appropriately.

2015.10

DISCUSSION IN SUPPORT

DISCUSSION AGAINST

Students should have access to the system and it should be suitable for the purpose for which is built at all times, Students requiring the use of the system should not have to make individual enquiries with IT, in order to improve delivery. UCSU should find out where the affected areas are and work with IT and University estates team to ensure they work properly and students are updated.

It was believed loop systems were in place and working.

DISCUSSION OUTCOME /ACCEPTED

The Panel has asked UCSU to investigate current status and issues with the system. Prompt resolution of any specific issues given by the idea submitter should be reported by UCSU to IT and University estates.


2015.11

NSS RESPONSE DOCUMENT (TO BE CONFIRMED!!)

2015.12

LPNM PROPERTIES IN LANCASTER (TO BE CONFIRMED!!)

PARKING MACHINE ON FUSEHILL Students spend a lot of time waiting around the car park due to the machine being faulty. Should UCSU lobby the University to purchase a new parking machine?

2015.15

DISCUSSION IN SUPPORT

DISCUSSION AGAINST

The parking machine should be not continuously break down. When it is not working, a sign should be put on the parking machine to confirm students and staff will not receive a fine.

DOGGY DISTRESS DAY In aid of Guide Dogs for the Blind Association, could we have a doggy distress day where students relax by petting dogs and possibly recruit volunteers for the charity?

DISCUSSION OUTCOME /ACCEPTED 2015.13

DISCUSSION IN SUPPORT This is a great idea for helping students take time out at stressful times. Doesn’t need to be compulsory to attend and any session could be organised off University premises.

DISCUSSION AGAINST Health and safety concerns. Students may have allergies and/or be scared of dogs. There is a ‘no animal on campus policy’.

DISCUSSION OUTCOME /ACCEPTED

The Panel has requested that UCSU should have discussion with the University to ensure that the parking machine is mended/replaced and appropriate notices placed in full view of students with regards to procedures in breakdown situations.

DYSLEXIA TESTS

2015.16

The Panel has asked UCSU to liaise with the University regarding their “no animals on campus policy” and encourage them to allow UCSU to hold this event on all campuses or nearby alternative premises.

ANONYMISED IDEAS Should UCSU update the Your Ideas web page so that students can submit anonymous ideas?

DISCUSSION IN SUPPORT

DISCUSSION AGAINST

Sensitive issues are more likely to be shared if there is an option for ideas to be submitted anonymously. Lack of anonymity may cause students not to post their suggestions for fear that their name will be mentioned.

Consider adding a clear disclaimer to confirm that only a restricted number of UCSU staff have access to the ideas log, and that student names are never disclosed or proposers discussed at Panel meetings. In addition, consider adding an explanation of what the students details will be used for: to acknowledge the receipt of the idea, to contact student if more information is required and for an update to be provided following the Panel meetings.

2015.14

DISCUSSION OUTCOME /ACCEPTED The Panel has requested UCSU to update all information regarding the Ideas as outlined above.

The university no longer covers the full costs of the dyslexia test, so this means some students have to pay £138 for the tests, unless they qualify for funding. The university used to pay the full cost. Should UCSU lobby the University to pay for these tests?

DISCUSSION IN SUPPORT

DISCUSSION AGAINST

The Panel believes that all tests should be paid for.

It may be that focus needs to be put on the screening process to avoid abuse of the system.

DISCUSSION OUTCOME /ACCEPTED The Panel urges UCSU to start discussion with the University in order to provide free dyslexia tests for those students who need it.

NO PLATFORM POLICY The currently UCSU’s no platforms policy has lapsed. Should UCSU abolish a no platforms policy altogether?

2015.17

DISCUSSION IN SUPPORT

DISCUSSION AGAINST

Students (including student groups) should be able to work with and have access to external speakers of their choosing. There is already an External Speakers’ policy to protect students.

Students need to be protected from hate. The “no platforms” policy is there to protect students, not to keep students quiet. Students should be educated on scope and purpose of the “no platforms” policy.


DISCUSSION OUTCOME /REJECTED The Panel has asked UCSU to review and update the “no platforms” policy and to work with the Panel members to ensure it is accessible and understood. The Panel would like to understand the External Speakers’ policy too.

DEPARTMENTAL REPRESENTATIVES ON THE UCSU PANEL

2015.18

Following the University’s change from Faculties to a Deanery, we now have seven Departmental Representatives. Does the UCSU Panel approve these representatives should be a part of the UCSU Panel.

DISCUSSION OUTCOME /ACCEPTED After a show of hands, the UCSU Panel approved the Departmental Representatives’ inclusion on the UCSU Panel. Necessary amendments will be added to the Master policy document regarding the Panel.

Profile for University of Cumbria Student's Union

Panel 1, 2015 - notes  

Notes from the 1st meeting of 2015.

Panel 1, 2015 - notes  

Notes from the 1st meeting of 2015.

Advertisement