Page 1


The New Season Edition April 2018

Waikato UniCol AFC

Presidents Report: Off the field there are some interesting developments that will ultimately prove very beneficial for Unicol. We have been in discussions with The Property Group, Hamilton Cricket Association and Hillcrest United FC, where HCA are looking to build a permanent home at Jansen Park. Both Unicol and Hillcrest United are supporting this project as a home clubroom for the summer sport of cricket will be a home clubroom for the winter code of football. If funding is obtained and the construction goes to plan then the building will be completed in time for the start of the 2019 cricket season, and available for the start of our 2020 season. A 27 year wait for a clubroom would finally be over, how can you not be excited about that. After match functions this year have had another venue change. Last year Kahurangi (or Montana Catering) took over the Dons Bar. The food they offered was twice the price of what teams had been spending in previous years, and once again we were not allowed to use the kitchen and despite a glitzy relaunch earlier this year prices had not changed. So, we have planned for Saturday teams to go to the Ruakura Campus Club at Innovation Park. If you haven’t been there yet, it has the feel of a clubroom, offers a changing menu of craft beers, Sky TV, it is only a two-minute drive from the University and a five-minute drive from Jansen, in short it is the closest we have come to a real sports clubroom in the last 20 years. To make it work though every player needs to be heading there after their home games, and as good hosts, we should be the last to leave, not the first and certainly not before the opposition have left. Not too far away as well is another round of Blazer Ceremonies. Last year was the inaugural one where University clubs acknowledged the contributions of club member who had served ten or more years on committee or coaching, or who had played 100 games or more at the highest-level clubs were playing at. To be honest I haven’t figured out how that works for rowing, for us though we had Campbell Vette, Colin Shannon, Darrin Picard who all made over 100 appearances in the Northern League, while current club member Reid Hall has well over ten years on committee and coaching. This year the choice of a Blazer or shirt has been offered to Mark Treloar, Grant Treloar and Greg Schollum, all with over 100 NL games under their belts, and life member Tony Wilkinson, who racked up around 50 games, but gave well over ten years’ service, including nine as Northern League Coach. August 4th is when the ceremony will be conducted, it will be a wonderful opportunity for former players to catch up with the recipients. Might see some of you there Robin Slade Club President

Front Cover: The Big Number 9 himself, Harland Morris Web: www, Face Book Page: Historical Face Book Group: Disclaimer: The views expressed in this publication do not necessarily reflect the views of the club.

© R Slade

Transfers The ins and outs for 2018, as usual in the current set up with many students we see more than most clubs in player transfers.

First Name Sean Oliver Lachlan Brad Kaila Matthew Sugin Mahmood Joshua Hayden Ranui Jeremy Jayden Jackson Madison Reuben Jose

First name William Gavin Allaynah Kaiea Andrew Simon Megan Sugin Natalie Laichyn Liam Jesse Briar Alexander Fawwaz Andrew Lauren



Transferred from club Aquinas College Cambridge FC Claudelands Rovers SC Claudelands Rovers SC Claudelands Rovers SC Claudelands Rovers SC Hamilton Wanderers Melville Utd AFC Melville Utd AFC Papamoa FC Inc Plains Rangers Rotorua Utd AFC Inc Rotorua Utd AFC Inc Tokoroa AFC West Hamilton Utd FC West Hamilton Utd FC West Hamilton Utd FC

Transferred to Cambridge FC Cambridge FC Claudelands Rovers SC Claudelands Rovers SC Ellerslie AFC (Auckland Football) FC Western Inc (Central Football - Taranaki) Glenfield Rovers (Auckland Football) Hamilton Wanderers Madhatters / Parua Bay (Northern Football Federation - Northland) Melville Utd AFC Melville Utd AFC Melville Utd AFC Onehunga Sports (Auckland Football) Otorohanga AFC Papamoa FC Inc PN Marist FC (Central Football - Manawatu) West Hamilton Utd FC

© R Slade

2017 Unicol End of Year Awards Club Person: Robin Slade Sportsman (Ian Standing Trophy): James Field Sportswoman (Ian Standing Trophy): Robyn Slade Mens Premier Most Valuable (Stuart Lawrence Cup): Fawwaz Ali Mens Premier Most Improved (Tony Wilkinson Trophy): Luke Goodwin Mens Premier Players Player (Glen Thorby Trophy): Tom Wright Womens Premier Most Valuable (Rebecca Rolls Trophy): Courtney Creighton Womens Premier Most Improved (Margie Lloyd Trophy): Maiken Petersen Womens Premier Players Player (Melissa Ruscoe Trophy): Maddie Hansen Mens Reserves Most Valuable: Brook Melody Mens Reserves Most Improved: Callum Barr Womens Development Most Valuable: Kirsty Burridge-Amyes Womens Development Most Improved: Kate Eastwood Mens Development Most Valuable: Henry Leech Mens Development Most Improved: Josh Fellingham Mens Vets Most Valuable: Justin Hamilton Mens Vets Most Improved: Shane Laurich Mens B Div Most Valuable: Jamee Smith Mens B Div Most Improved: Orrin Forsythe Mens D Div Most Valuable: Andrew Huesser Mens D Div Most Improved: Nathan Robb Golden Boot: Kieran Payton Golden Gloves: James Field Cam's Pole: Conor von Keisenberg Chopper: Patrick Purcell

Š R Slade

2018 Committee Club Executive President: Robin Slade Secretary: Robyn Slade Treasurer: Vatsal Patel Vice-President: Paul Crosby

Committee Roles Club Captain: Patrick Purcell Director of Coaching: Anthonni Hall Equipment Manager: Alex Thorne Grounds: VACANT Events: VACANT

Outside Committee Sponsorship: Jonty Rhodes Women’s Co-ordinator: Loren Goodhue Volunteer Co-ordinator: Paul Crosby

2018 Coaches and Managers Men’s Premier Squad: Dan Goodwin/Sean Rooney/Matthew Page Women’s Squad: Patrick Purcell/Alex Thorne Men’s Reserves Squad: Anthonni Hall/David Galuzska Men’s Development Squad: Hayden Jones/Jacob Toye Men’s C Division Squad: Jamie Warren/Andrew Cortesi Men’s Vets Squad: Reid Hall Men’s D Division Squad: Scott Walker Sunday League Squad: Dan Crofton

© R Slade

Men’s Premier WaiBop Federation Premier Division April 7 (A) vs Otumoetai FC 3-1: (Brook Melody, Luke Goodwin, Riku Soejima) Match Report: The Unicol Mens premier team hit the ground running in their first pre-season game as they despatched Otumoetai 3-1 at Fergusson park. The game began with each side exchanging half-chances before a solo run from halfway by Brook Melody resulted in the first goal and a perfect example of playing to the whistle. Towards the end of the first half, James Field found an opportunity through a soft shot by Otumoetai to pick out Luke Goodwin with a monstrous kick and a delicate touch by the forward saw the ball sail over the charging keeper and in to the net for a great counter attacking play. Going in to the sheds 2-0 up, the lads seemed fairly happy with the performance so far but knew things needed to get better if we were to close out this game. Otumoetai came out with a vengeance which was quickly extinguished as Unicol looked to keep the ball and play it around exhausting the opposition. A dubious penalty halfway through the second half made for a nervous last 30 minutes but Riku Soejima on debut made sure of the win with a well taken shot 10 minutes towards the end to seal a 3-1 win and great start to the season. (Match report by Coach Dan Goodwin)

April 14 (H) vs West Hamilton FC 1-2: (Riku Soejima) Five Second Match Report: Cheers for turning up to the after match‌oh wait.

April 21 (A) vs Matamata Swifts 0-1: Five Second Match Report: You are dead to us now Brayden.

Chatham Cup April 28 (H) vs Tokoroa 8-0: (Luke Goodwin, Nick Broome, Ash Gower-Rudman 3, Riku Soejima 2, Ethan Martin) Match Report: Unicol Prems came up against Tokoroa in the first round of the Chatham cup in less than ideal conditions at Jansen park. From the get go Unicol looked to control the game and not let Tokoroa get a chance in the game but with a few chances gone begging, Unicol went in to the break just the solitary goal up. A regroup at halftime proved to be a key factor as Unicol were able to get their rhythm and control back to run away with the game putting away 7 including a second half hat-trick by substitute Ash Gower-Rudman. After a couple poor games, the lads were very happy to get back in to winnings ways and are looking to carry this in to next week when we come up against Taupo at Jansen Park in the league. (Match report from coach Dan Goodwin).

Chatham Cup photographs Copyright Photo: Jeremy Ward /

Women’s Squad Women’s Waikato B Division April 8 (A) vs Otorohanga FC 8-1: (Kennedy Heikell 4, Oliver Walden, Erin Boyde, Jacqui Swney, Hannah Trebes) Match Report: They say that it’s always darkest before the dawn and that may just be the case with the women of Unicol. After finally leaving behind the struggles of 2017, the newlook ladies squad made the trip down to Otorohanga to kick things off for the new season. It didn’t take long for Unicol to assert their dominance with Kennedy Heikell striking inside the opening moments. She would go on to add a further three goals to her tally throughout the match. Crisp midfield play and plenty of confidence at the back laid the foundation for the attackers to carve out numerous opportunities. Although plenty went begging, chances were eventually taken by Erin Boyde, Hannah Trebes, and Olivia Walden. Jacqui Swney wrapped things up with a stunning long-range effort over the keeper. A great start to the season, but we know that we have to keep working hard for the tougher tests that are to

come. Woman of the match was Kennedy for taking an early head start in the golden boot race. (Match report from Coach Patrick Purcell)

April 15 (H) vs Te Awamutu FC 2-1: (Sarah Kowalewski, Olivia Walden) Match Report: Sundays are for the girls and apparently Sundays are for winning too. The Unicol ladies kept their perfect start to the season going with a hard-fought triumph over a competitive Te Awamutu side. A much-changed line-up from last week’s cruise in Otorohanga meant there was plenty of game time on offer for 13 lucky ladies whether they liked it or not. Kirsty Burridge Amyes and Katie Wrightwebb took one for the team and ‘offered’ to do a half in goal each. The first half contained decent enough play, but the net remained untouched thanks to some good reading of play by the TA goalkeeper. Right on the whistle for half time, TA’s American superstar fired one over Katie’s grasp from a casual 30 yards. That’s a fine. Team talk? “You’re better than this, get some goals and you’ll win. Eat some lollies.” The second half was much more enjoyable as the largely youthful Unicol side began to show their superior fitness over the rural girls. It didn’t take long for Sarah Kowalewski, in her first game for the club, to go on a solo run before calmly finishing past the keeper. Good goal and game on. The girls continued to dominate before Erin Cooksley went on a slaloming run down the left before hooking back a delightful ball for Olivia Walden to slot home her second of the season. 2-1, job done. It might not have been the prettiest performance you’ll ever see, but at this early stage of the season it’s all about getting points on the board. Standout performances from Sarah Kowalewski and stand in captain Maddie Hansen who bossed the back line all game. Match report from coach Patrick Purcell


© R Slade

April 22 (A) vs Te Aroha AFC 5-1: (Kennedy Heikell 2, Jacqui Swney, Maddie Hansen, Erin Cooksley) Match Report: With holidays causing havoc with squad numbers, a bare 11 players, a crippled Katie Wrightwebb, and a coach on the verge of vomiting made the trek out to Te Aroha looking to keep their perfect start to the season going. The first half wasn’t the best football the ladies can play but Kennedy Heikell showed off the importance of getting in the right places by finishing off two chances created by the consistently impressive Kelly Bent. 6 goals in 2 matches for Kennedy. Form. Tears flowed at half time as Jacqui Swney was surprised by her parents who she hadn’t seen for over a year. It was a touching moment that seemed to spark the winger into life. A dangerous cross into the box from makeshift winger Josie Messam was hit on the half-volley into the top corner by Jacqui. She’s another of the ladies who is impressing early on. With everyone hungry for goals, Maddie Hansen popped up from left back to net her first of the year. Not entirely sure how she ended up in the centre forward position, but no complaints here. Erin Cooksley wrapped up the scoring, smashing one in after a scramble in the goal box. That’s 8 players who have opened their accounts now, a huge factor in our early success. A mammoth effort from the ladies in trying conditions but a few shout outs that need to be mentioned. Robyn Slade was a huge asset in midfield, answering our SOS. Meanwhile Kelly Bent continues to be selfless in midfield, picking up another two assists. The determination and persistence of Kennedy and Jacqui up front also cannot be understated. A huge match against the ex-NZ reps of West Ham next week. Can we keep it going? Find out next time. (Match report from coach Patrick Purcell)

April 29 (H) vs West Hamilton 1-6: (Olivia Walden) Match Report: You can’t win them all, And on Sunday it was the ladies’ turn to fall. We were up against the aged and the wise, And with Alex Thorne and Patty reffing there would be no lies. But it was a disastrous day for the girls in black and gold, With the rain and our performance leaving us cold. Goals flew into our net throughout the game, While on our scoresheet there was only one name. Olivia Walden netted another goal for the year, But sadly, the team never got out of first gear. A nasty head clash saw Loren Goodhue’s game cut short, With a possible concussion, spare her a thought. We aim to get back on track next Sunday, As we look to make Ngaruawahia pay. This uni lot are an impressive young team, So hopefully we’ll resurrect the league title dream. (Match report from coach Patrick Purcell)

© R Slade

Men’s Reserves WaiBop Federation Championship Division April 7 (A) vs Otumoetai FC 4-1: (Kirk Newman 2, Gus Murray, Gareth Webb) Match Report: The Reserves came out firing in the first half and really took it to Otumoetai. Overall there was some good football that was played in patches but still a lot of work that needed to be done. A few gaskets were blown all over the pitch early in the first half and Unicol were lucky to lead at the half two - nil. Otumoetai struck back early in the second making for an interesting game before Kirk Newman took matters into his own hand and scored two goals consecutively. From here Unicol dominated and should have potentially scored a few more goals. Standout performances from Brody Neil, Gus Murray, and Gareth Webb with Kirk Newman taking man of the match with his solid performance. The Reserves take on league favourites Ngaruawahia this weekend at home which should make for an exciting encounter. (Match report by Coach Anthonni Hall).

April 14 (H) vs Ngaruawahia AFC 0-1: Match Report: Unicol Men’s Football Squadron #2 sought to carry on last weekend’s victory with another decisive win against the Ngaruawahia Battalion. Drills had been disrupted during the week but the battle cry from Major General Smokey was for his soldiers to work hard, and to work hard for each other. From the first whistle both sides charged into combat. The ensuing carnage can only be described as a ‘dog fight’ – both armies going head to head, not giving an inch and refusing to back down. Berserker Kirk Newman was in the thick of the action, running hard and throwing himself into combat with no regard for his own personal safety. First Lieutenant Kieran Payton lead the line admirably against the stubborn defense systems employed by the opposition and had a chance to put Unicol ahead in the first half but was thwarted at last moment. There were bound to be casualties of war due and Specialist Old Timer Gaz bore the full force of a large projectile to his back and was quickly patched up by the team medic. The first half offense continued with the post and bar being rattled by the Unicol bombardment but both teams headed into halftime as equals with neither landing a killer blow. The halftime talk was short and simple – remain composed and don’t get dragged into the dirty, below the belt tactics of the axis forces. The second half ensured to carry on from the first, both sides driving deep into enemy territory but not getting the result they want. Captain Taylor Bell-Booth, Corporal Micah Barr and Destroyer Gus Murray all making last ditch tackles, with Murray having great joy in bringing down the enemy as they ventured into Unicol territory. However, Ngaruawahia broke the deadlock halfway through the second period. A hopeful bomb went up from the opposition which wasn’t dealt with by the Unicol ‘iron curtain’, missing all players in its path and landing in the back of the goal. It was a bitter blow to the squadron who had gone toe-to-toe with the opposition and caused Smokey to ring a few tactical changes with Private Henry HenryBob Leech brought on to try providing flanking manoeuvres on the left edge of the field. It wasn’t long before Gaz would succumb to his war wounds, with Extra Specialist Older Timer David Galuszka (with a Z) tagging into the battle for him. Despite the war plan being changed and further inroads being made, Unicol were unable to draw level eventually going down 0-1. Unicol Men’s Football Squadron #2 will now head back to the drawing board, devise a new battle plan before locking horns with the Matamata Contingent this weekend. (Match report by manager and assistant coach David Galuszka)

© R Slade

April 21 (A) vs Matamata Swifts 3-2: (Ash Gower-Rudman 2, Kirk Newman) Match Report: “It doesn’t even Matamata” Pull out your dictionary, or set up a Wikipedia account, and rewrite the word redemption because it is now spelt Curtis Warner. Now you may think that this match report should be about the great escape the Ressie’s pulled off to win 3-2, but that doesn’t matamata. You would think it would be about how a team, bereft of close to half a dozen starters managed to pull together priceless win, but that doesn’t matamata. Perhaps it would even include the standard ‘I’m coming off because I’m injured again’ line from David Galuszka, but that doesn’t matamata. What does matamata, is how one young man, turned his fortunes around, and with it turned the fortunes of his team around. It all started with Uni one goal to the good courtesy of a wonderful left footed volley from Kirk Newman off a Gus Murray header within the first five minutes of the game. Now the redemption story - Curtis, receiving the ball in his customary position at the base of midfield sought to open the ball out wide, using the space that was offered to the team. Unbeknownst to him the opposition striker was lurking near the channel and pinched the ball playing it out to his left wing who ran unopposed 15 yards a slotted a tidy finish into the farright bottom corner. Where was Curtis in all this you may ask? Hands on head, right where he had made his awful pass, contemplating all of life’s choices that brought him to this moment. (I know it sounds dire, but it does get better for him from here…) Unicol managed to steal the lead just before the half with an Ash Gower-Rudman goal, again from a Gus Murray assist. Curtis, perhaps with the thought of giving away the ball that led to the first conceded goal, or because he was captain with both Taylor Bell-Booth and Kieran Payton out injured or called up to the Prems respectively, laid down what needed to be done to put the game to rest…and here we see redemption become reality. Forget the fact that neither centre back Micah Barr or Aiden Smith were able to tackle/dispose/get-rid-of a ball from a 54yr old geriatric which led to another goal 15mins after the break, the rest of the game was all about Curtis. Some may say the next 30mins was the making of him. I say he had it in him all along. The ‘Roy Keane’ of Unicol drove the team forward. Barking out the instructions he made sure the football was played as it should be – on the deck, to feet, don’t dive in, and others in his cache of phrases thrown to the lads. And here epitomises servant-leadership – not being one to just tell others what needed to be done, Curtis threw himself into everything, leading the charge to swing the game back into Unicols favour. And swinging it back in Unicols favour he did. With roughly 7 mins and 23 seconds left on the clock (roughly), and coach Anthonni Hall freaking out on the side line, Curtis played a quick one-two with Mahmood Alfarraji and slipped Ash a sumptuous ball into the 18-yard to side foot beyond the keepers reach to make it 3-2. You would be lying if you said you saw a man happier than Curtis now. Some dream of scoring the winning goal for their team. But true heroes dream of laying on the pass for the winning goal. And that was what Curtis was in that moment, a hero. The full-time whistle sounded shortly after. Word has it Curtis got MotM. That is how you make amends. That is redemption. PS. Dave cleaned out a 12yr old kid; Brody Neil almost scored a screamer; Gus almost scored a screamer; A dude from Matamata broke his leg. (Match report from Manager & Assistant coach David Galuszka).

© R Slade

April 28 (A) vs Tauranga Blue Rovers FC 3-1: (Kirk Newman 2, Jackson Allen) Match Report: Rain and clouds filled the skies As the hungry Reserves travelled over the kaimais To battle and fight on a slippery dance floor It was windy, it was wet, it hailed, and it poured The lads were dead serious, not a smile, not a laugh As the game was a stalemate through the first half Unicol created opportunities and made many advances Only to miss a penalty and a so many clear-cut chances The second half saw a determined Reserves side Making space in the middle and playing the ball wide We finally struck with a wonderful goal Only for Blue Rovers to equalize and break our souls We fought, and we battled hard through the rain It was vitally important to win this game With hard work and commitment, we managed to break through Jackson Allen breaking the deadlock to make it 1 - 2 Blue Rovers fought back and nearly scored twice Aiden Smith to the rescue, very clinical and precise A 3rd goal from Kirk Newman who is in his prime That's all she wrote folks, final whistle - Full Time. (Match report by coach Anthonni Hall)

Men’s Development Men’s Waikato A Division April 7 (A) vs Melville United 0-3: PhD Thesis Level Match Report: Men’s Development opened their season under Friday night lights. The draw threw up an away game to the defending champions Melville New Old Boys or the aptly named NOBS. Normally playing the toughest match first up is usually a worst-case scenario but for the Development team it was good to get this one out of the way early. With the opposition stacked with several Northern League and Federation level players (albeit some of them being older than Robin Slade), we knew it was always going to be a very tough go. The temptation is always to try keep it tight and play defensively in matches such as this but that hasn’t been our ethos since we played our first preseason game over summer. The plan has been to try and play from everywhere on the pitch regardless of the opposition. While this leaves us a bit exposed, we feel it will serve us better in the long run as the hope is we develop some quality football players. There were a few spanners thrown into the works as we lost big unit Tom O’Hara the week of the opening round and forced us to do a little reshuffle of personnel. With Kelan Hales being a bit underdone having not trained for a fortnight (luckily for legitimate reasons) and a flat tyre meaning starting full back Reece arrived 30 minutes after kicking off didn’t help our cause. We matched up well in large patches of the game, with Unicol probably edging possession, but Melville dominating goal scoring opportunities. It took a reckless pass from our flank into midfield that opened the scoring.

© R Slade

Melville’s midfield was astute at screening passing lanes and were always looking to pounce on sloppy or poorly played passes. This one was no different. Against the run of play they drove into the heart of Unicol’s defence and dispatched the finish. Not long after a corner was converted in emphatic fashion with one of their behemoths leaping over his defender to dispatch a header. At 2-0 it would have been very tempting for our players to completely abandon the game plan and go into damage control. Fortunately, they showed plenty of maturity and discipline. Entering the start of the second half Unicol had their best period of control over the game, despite their lack of penetration. Melville allowed Unicol to keep the ball for long patches and patiently waited for moments to capitalise and break on their opponents. Constant errors were Unicol’s biggest let down as the hosts often split passing options and were very adept at turning the ball over in midfield. Lachlan Robertson looked like the away sides best chance at making something happen in the final third as his powerful runs caused moments of chaos down his left wing. Unfortunately, Melville adapted to this by doubling up on him and we struggled to give him support quick enough nor take advantage of any other spaces his runs created. Harland Morris did his best with an attempt with his back, but just like most of our chances it never really threatened. The third goal was a disappointing end to a better second half as keeper Matthew Curtis dropped the ball from a routine long-range shot shot, only for the opposition striker to follow in with the tap in. The confusion over how such an uncharacteristic error was made by arguably Unicol’s most consistent keeper was cleared up after the match. Matty explained the issue was down to the gloves not working properly. Luckily due to the consumers guarantees act he reckons he’s got a strong claim to get a refund, as his “keeper” gloves did fuck all “keeping” of the ball out of his net. Usual left back Jeong Hyun had a blinder at defensive midfield and as always skipper Jackson was phenomenal at the back but the man of the match went to Jackson’s little brother Harry Green. From Sunday League Messi to Waikato A fullback the young lad has stepped up immeasurably. Aside from the first goal he barely put a foot wrong. Sport is a results business and winning is almost always the metric of success. However, context is everything. We will try not get too despondent with loses such as these and not too carried away with blowout wins against inferior sides. While we keep “developing”, with any luck some of the “New Old Boys” might have been committed to retirement homes by the time we face them again, and we can give them a real crack at Jansen later in the season. (Match report by Coach Hayden Jones)

April 14 (H) vs Te Awamutu FC FC 1-1: (Bryn Davies) Match Report: After suffering a comprehensive loss in round one, the Development lads were desperate to get their first points on the board. Te Awamutu struck within the first couple of minutes of the game, catching the home team napping. Once ahead, Te Awamutu were happy to concede possession and territory to maintain the lead. The hosts carved out a multitude of first half efforts but only to have most of them off target. Even when Unicol did finally pull level, the opposition showed zero ambition other than hanging on for their point. A Te Awamutu own goal just before the halftime whistle was frustratingly overturned. Scorer of the first goal Bryn Davies was deemed to have fouled the defender, as he put it in his own net.

Sadly, this was as close as we got to what should have been a routine win. Despite our chances and monopoly over possession we just couldn’t find that decisive goal. The beauty of football is that being the best team on the day doesn’t entitle you to a result, you must take it. Bryn Davies was awarded man of the match for scoring the only Unicol goal of the game but a special mention to left back Reece Breebaart who really made sure he left an impact on proceedings. With a tough task against Otorohanga next week, hopefully the development lads don’t live to regret settling for a draw in this one. Match report from coach Hayden Jones

April 21 (H) vs Otorohanga FC 1-1: (Lachlan Robertson) Match Report: With a couple of players unavailable we went across to Otorohanga with a strong spine but lacking the fresh legs off the bench we would normally have at our disposal. Down to 12 regular squad players we had a slight reprieve in the C Division side playing the fixture before. Jeremy Atkin and Sugin Oh doubled up and sat on our bench for cover. Despite the results in the opening two rounds we had been happy with our approach to games, our willingness to play football at all times. The first 20 minutes was anything but football from the unicorns. Otorohanga were all over us and all that saved us were defensive scrambles from holding midfielder Jeong Hyun and dynamic defensive duo Matt Stannett and Jackson. Midway through the first half Unicol found their feet and started to get into the game. The irony of us starting to look decent was that right before half time the hosts opened the scoring. The second half was another mixed bag of one side putting together a few phases followed by a missed opportunity and then the other carving out some quality football. The inability to hold onto possession as we fancy us to do meant most of our opportunities came through the counter attack. The equaliser was exactly that. Bryn was played in behind the Otorohanga backline and squared a crisp low cross for Lachlan to latch onto at back post. This lifted the hosts who realised they now had to go for it if they wanted the 3 points. The last 20 minutes turned into a slugfest. Unicol battered down the hatches and defended stoutly while Oto just threw everything forward. Not a fantastic display of football but a great result against one of the top sides. Was satisfying to see the young team show some grit for once. If we can mix that new-found tenacity with our ability to play football we might start moving up the table. Man of the match went to captain fantastic Jackson Allen who kept us in it with some lastditch challenges. (Match report from coach Hayden Jones)

Waikato Cup April 28 (H) vs Claudelands C Div Vets 4-0: (Lachlan Robertson, Bryn Davies, Josh Smith, Harry Green) Match Report: After 3 rounds of the league without a win, the distraction of the cup was a welcome one. The beauty of knockout football with its one-off nature means that anything can happen. Being drawn a team from 2 divisions lower, we were both confident of a comprehensive win but wary of complacency. The last thing you want to do is be on the wrong end of an upset. From the outset we wanted to keep our approach the same as if we were playing an A Division side; control possession and try to stretch the opposition. From the first minute of play it was obvious that this was going to be Unicol’s day. The biggest concern was the weather reducing this game to a boggy mess. Luckily despite conditions the team still managed to play controlled passing football. Lachlan Robertson’s opener settled mild concerns that there would be a repeat of the Te Awamutu game. There was no chance of the visitors trying to sit in and grind out a result this time. Lachy’s goal was a thing of comedic beauty. His first shot fizzed towards the target, only for it to be blocked by the back of Jayden Bowditch’s head. In an unorthodox 1-2 Lachlan latched on the rebound to put it in the goal. Not long before half time the away keeper had been sent packing for lashing out at a Unicol player.

Going into half time we knew we had the result if we controlled possession. 10 men Claudelands had to chase the game if they wanted a result. Early into the second half Bryn Davies exploited the space a now open Claudelands backline gave us, running through on goal and finishing a deep counter attack. From there it devolved into a training game. Unicol kept discipline and shifted the ball around the pitch until a gap would open and then exploit it. Having gone from a full 17 available players to a meagre 13 in a matter of days, it forced “non-playing” coach Hayden Jones to name himself as the third sub. Luckily the opposition weren’t up to much by the time he threw himself on. The result being a formality, man of the match Josh Smith combined with the gaffer to get off the mark for the season with a cracker from the edge of the box. A second red card meant that the lads started to get a little hungry on goal and suddenly everyone was trying their luck. Substitute full back Harry Green suddenly forgot how to cross the ball and after 4 or 5 “crosses” being fired towards the goal, one finally went in. A first clean sheet, a bundle of goals and all without star captain Jackson Allen. Even walking wounded Stephen Shirley managed to get his first cameo. We don’t care that the opposition are full of washed up thugs. You can only beat what’s in front of you. (Match report from coach Hayden Jones)

© R Slade

Unicol Red Waikato C Division April 7 (A) vs Claudelands Pacers 2-2: (Sugin Oh, Jackie Wang) Match Report: In Unicol Reds first competitive match together the result did not reflect the game. Uni started off slow in what was a shaky first 10 minutes and conceded an early goal thanks to the honesty of Paul Crosby. After the goal uni settled into the game and began to dominate possession, quickly generating multiple chances but we unable to put them away. Uni were awarded 2 pens in the first half Sugin Oh converting one of them and the other being missed by an unnamed player. The half ended 1-1. The second half was annoyingly like the first. Uni conceded an early goal due to a shaky start but then began to dominate again. Creating chance after chance. Eventually Uni was awarded another penalty at the cost of Jamie Warrens hand which mean he is out for 4-6 weeks. The penalty was converted by Jackie Wang and with the scores locked at 2-2 we were in a for a cracker final 15. Uni piled on the pressure and had numerous good chances the best of which falling to TIm Hoksbergen and Jeremy Atkin. Unfortunately, they were not able to convert them, and the score remained 2-2. Player of the Day went to two players, Tyler Ace and Sugin Oh, both of whom put in excellent shifts and hardly put a foot wrong. (Match report by Coach Andrew Cortesi)

April 14 (H) vs Melville United 1-2: (Gary Perry) Match Report: Unicol Red again started slow and again conceded in the opening minutes. The goal came from outside the box and with a little help from a slightly flat ball dipped and swerved and just crept under the bar. This was just the kick in the ass Uni needed and we began to close players down and play some actual footy. We ground and ground away eventually levelling it up early in the second half. With 25-30 minutes to go it was all level and Uni began to apply the pressure however our lack of creativity in attack meant Melville were able to hold out and Uni were unable to score. Frustration built, tiredness set in and mistakes were made. Tyler Ace received Scott Walker's (the ref) wrath in the form of a yellow and with a few minutes to go Melville scored another long-range goal that rocketed into the top righthand corner which killed Unicols drive and the game ended with a 2 - 1 loss.

April 21 (A) vs Otorohanga Score 4-1: (Tim Hoksbergen 3, Gary Perry) Match Report: On a beautiful Saturday afternoon the lads piled into a van and headed out to Otorohanga. The game started with a hiss and a roar and for once it was the Uni lads who were dominating right from the off. They were excellent in possession, were calm, not wasteful and more importantly were creative in attack. Tim Hoksbergen scored a blinder of an opening goal, when the angle had seemingly disappeared we all thought he was going to cross the ball and the next thing we knew the ball had rifled into the top corner. Otorohanga weren't going to take it lightly and 10 minutes later after a series of corners (4 I think) they equalized. The uni lads did not lets this get to them and continued in the same form they started with Tim bagging another cracking goal. Thus, Uni ended the half 2-1 in front. The second half was slightly different, with Oto coming out of the gate putting uni under massive amounts of pressure. The lads soaked it well and excellent defensive performances from the backline meant the score was poised at 2-1 going into the final 15-20 minutes. Fitness began to play a big part as Oto were getting tired the lads began to run them off the park. Tim this time assisting Gary to finish off a nice counter attacking move to put the game even further out of Oto's reach. With 3 minutes left, Tim finished of his hattrick

Š R Slade

with a sublime finish to the bottom left corner. Rounding out a great game of footy for the Uni lads bagging them their first win of the season. Everyone had an awesome game, with Man of the Match going to Tim Hoksbergen who scored 3 goals and an assist. (Match report from Co-Coach Andrew Cortesi)

Waikato Cup April 28 (A) vs Te Aroha A Div 0-5: Match Report: Unicol Red took on Te Aroha Cobras in what was the worst conditions possible. Unicol started positively putting some good moves together in the first 20 minutes. Having our centre back in goal and only 1 substitute who was injured anyway made it all the tougher game, Unicol got to the break losing 2-0. After an inspiring team talk, we all went out, soaked and cold and conceded another 3. Player of the day was Josh Muldrock, after opting to put the gloves on so we had someone in goal. Score line wasn’t a fair reflection of the game, if we played them in good conditions it would’ve been much different, onto the plate! (Match report from coach Jamie Warren)

Unicol Veterans Waikato C Division April 7 (H) vs Melville United 2-1: (Rory Casey, Damon Fisher) Match Report: We are gathered here today to remember the life of Shane Laurich’s left ankle. Not known for doing much ever, this ankle lived a quiet life, but went out with a bang or a loud click… The final contribution from this ankle was setting up a late winner for Damon Fisher who was his usual energetic self in midfield. The 2-1 result made the match look a bit closer than it probably was, but dramatic late winners are better than thrashings right...? Earlier, Rory Casey stunned the University crowd with a long-range screamer into the bottom corner, equalling his 2017 goal tally in just one game. Chance after chance went to waste, and Hamish Carruthers made a case for being called up to the national diving team with a flop that the referee called him a naughty boy for. The game finished with Patrick Purcell ending up in the book for absolutely no reason whatsoever. Ah well, a win is a win! (Match report by Player Patrick Purcell)

April 14 (A) vs Claudelands Vets 4-1: (Ethan Kilgarriff, Hamish Carruthers 2, Anthony Peacham) Match Report: Hate is a strong word. So, no, I don’t hate Claudelands. I absolutely despise Claudelands with every single fibre of my body. On a damp Saturday afternoon, it was time for the local Veterans derby where both sides probably surprised each other with line-ups not really supporting the tag of ‘Veterans’. Instead, Reido named one of the most attacking looking line-ups you will ever see, with three forwards and essentially three attacking mids. The bold choice almost paid off early on with Patrick Purcell drilling a half volley off the inside of the post, only for it to spin out for a goal kick. Enter Greyhound.

© R Slade

The ‘former’ fullback Hamish Carruthers was a late arrival and was surprisingly injected into the front three. Pace and pressing was the name of the game with Ashley and Greyhound not giving the Rover’s backline any breathing time. However, 0-0 at the break after some handbags were thrown before everyone hugged it out and exchanged numbers. Were we headed for a bore draw? Not on your life sonny. Greyhound led a spirited and eyebrow-raising team talk at the break about getting behind the Claudelands lads and letting them know we’re there with our dicks. It worked. First, Hamish was in the right place at the right time to finish off a chance after the Rovers keeper made a decent save. He would later add another before his ankle suffered the same fate as Shane’s did last week. Ants delicately chipped the keeper, but Ethan decided to steal the show. From outside the box, Ethan lashed a left-footed effort off both the crossbar and the post before dropping over the line. Despite Claudelands’ best attempts at cheating, the magical VAR decided that this goal would stand. Then we gave away a penalty. 4-1. Game over. Awesome all-round effort, but standout showings from Hamish and Trent for an assured showing in goal. But yeah, I actually hate Claudelands. (Match report from player Patrick Purcell)

April 21 (H) vs Northern United Debacles 2-1: (Rory Casey, Patrick Purcell) Match Report: There have been many great goals scored over the years. Ibra’s bicycle from 35 yards against England, Bergkamp’s flick and spin against Newcastle, and Shane Laurich’s blatantly offside goal at Otorohanga last year. But, on Saturday the university faithful were treated to something else, something that may never be repeated. More on that later. The Veterans were looking to continue their perfect start to the season but had a tough task ahead of them with just twelve players available to face a typically tough Northern United side. Gareth Amyes returned from working/watching the women’s beach volleyball at the Commonwealth Games to make his first appearance of the year, but barely lasted half the game before receiving an uppercut to the jaw, leaving nobody on the bench. Selfish and a fine. After a dominant opening, Rory Casey continued his fine start to the season, rifling home his second goal of the season. He’s now doubled his 2017 tally and it looks like there’s more to come. Conor von Keisenberg and Damon Fisher were their energetic selves in midfield, creating attack after attack while the likes of Nathan Robb and Reid Hall kept Northern at bay with no nonsense defending. As the first half dragged on, a Damon Fisher challenge had the Northern lads crying for a foul or a handball. Meanwhile, Travis Sayring cried “SLAY IT!” as Patrick Purcell flicked the ball up just outside the box, and in one motion spun and volleyed a dipping effort over the keeper. First goal of the season at last, and one to remember. But enough about me... We conceded off a corner, no surprises. Someone gets a fine. The second half was ugly and tired football, but Trent Lankshear ensured we claimed our third consecutive victory, keeping out a late barrage of shots. Did someone say top of the league? (Match report from player Patrick Purcell)

© R Slade

Waikato Cup April 28 (A) vs Wanderers B Div Classics 2-4: (Damon Fisher, Patrick Purcell) Match Report: When it rains, it pours. Cup football saw a depleted Veterans side head out to Porritt Stadium to take on a Wanderers side from the lofty heights of B division. Former Veteran and club hero Lee Warin was in attendance, so as per tradition we would go on to lose this one in wet and windy conditions. First half was crap. I was linesman for the whole half, freezing my ass off in the rain, flagging every one of our attacks offside. Oh, and we conceded two goals, one following a Trent Lankshear penalty save. Nice. Second half was better, but still crap. We conceded again early on. Fun. Then Gareth Amyes whipped a great cross into the box for me to finally put a header into the goal. Yay. Then we conceded again. Great. Final goal scoring action came from Damon Fisher who bundled home his second goal of the season, doubling his 2017 tally! Special mention for Conor von Keisenberg trying to take a quick free kick, only for a Wanderers defender to first stop said free kick from being taken, and then deliberately hacking at Conor’s shin. An official referee just metres from this, and no action was taken. Interesting. Anyway, we move into the prestigious Waikato Plate. Hopefully Ash’s balls have recovered for next week, after taking two shots to them. Team of the week material? Probably not. (Match report from player Patrick Purcell)

Unicol Black Waikato D Division April 7 (A) vs Northern United Gaffers 0-1: Match Report: First game of the season saw us with a completely new team with only 3 players returning from last year. The first 20 minutes saw us on the front foot with some good link up play and great goal scoring chances from Sean Bresnahan, Johan Bjerring and Andre Campbell only to be denied by the opposition goalkeeper. Around the half hour mark Northern United started creating chances of their own but man of the match Robin Slade kept them out to go into half time nil all. The second half saw both teams going back and forth creating chances and an unlucky goal saw the game finish 1 nil to Northern United. Honourable mention to Liam Fitzgerald, he was a menace to the Northern United defenders and unfortunately took a bad fall and dislocated his wrist. We wish him a speedy recovery. (Match report by Coach Scott Walker)

April 14 (H) vs West Hamilton FC 3-0: (Johan Bjerring, Michael McElwee, Daniel Lim) Match Report: First home game of the season for us and it didn't disappoint. Within 5 minutes we were 1 nil up thanks to some quick feet from Hayden Jones to put Johan Bjerring 1 v 1 with the keeper. From there we knocked the ball around well making West ham chase the game. West Ham did however have some great counter attacking plays with Robin Slade

© R Slade

called into make some last ditch saves and man of the match Jaieung James Park clearing the lines, preventing West Ham from scoring. We went into the half 1 nil up with the half time chat about keeping shape and pushing West ham into their own half. The second half was mostly played in the opposition half with Daniel Seifert putting in a good shift providing 2 assists for Daniel Lim and Michael McElwee taking us up to 3-0. Robin Slade did well to keep his first clean sheet of the season, Andre Campbell and Brad Sissons were solid at the back, Jesse Liddelow and Sugin Oh controlled the midfield well and provided great balls going forward for Sean Bresnahan, Johan Bjerring, Daniel Lim and Daniel Seifert. All around great performance from the team. (Match report from coach Scott Walker)

April 21 (A) vs Te Aroha 2-4: (Brad Sissons, Sean Bresnahan) Match Report: An away game in the uni holidays saw us short on players but the guys that came put in a solid performance despite the score line. Te Aroha managed to put away 2 soft goals in the opening 20 after unicol were camping in the opposition half. Brad Sissons and Sean Bresnahan managed to draw us level with some well taken goals only for Te Arohas 12th player (the ref) to give a penalty for their player falling over. We went into half time 3-2 down with the mindset we could continue to press Te Aroha in the second half. Te Aroha again scored quickly from the start and even though we controlled most of the game we just couldn't find the back of the net again. (Match report from coach Scott Walker)

Waikato Cup April 28 (H) vs NUSC D Div Seniles 0-3: Five Second Match Report: Great first 25 minutes from the lads, camping in the opposition half with very little trouble. It all changed though with a soft penalty awarded to the opposition and all the momentum taken away from us. First half we were down 3 nil and that's how it stayed for the rest of the game. (Match report from coach Scott Walker).

WSSL Sunday League Division 2 April 15 (H) vs Ice Interiors 1-10: (James McKinnon) April 22 (A) vs PSL 1-4:

Scottish Cup Cup April 29 (H) vs Cambridge Red Devils 3-0: (Sam Mason 3)

2017 Scoresheet Awards A few unofficial awards as noted by the Scoresheet.

The Joe Fraser Most Injured Player Award: Should it be Patrick Purcell, maybe not for actual real injuries, but by God he complained enough about being old and falling apart, you’d have thought he was 50, or Scott Walker whose blighted season restricted him to half a dozen or so appearances? No, in the end Ollie (Bent as) Tomic for his stellar cameo cup appearances which lasted seconds and left him needing crutches and a bionic exoskeleton knee brace.

The Gordon Irving Most Booked Player Award: Fawwaz Ali The Grant Treloar Most Photographed Award: Patrick Purcell’s boots. The Jammy Git Award: Dan Goodwin, cannot remember anyone being able to ‘chat’ with the refs as Dan has done all season and not get sent off more.

The Unofficial Official Award: Scott Walker, took on the job of whistle blower or linesperson numerous times, and was happy to card opposition and Unicol players.

Longest Time Between Drinks Award: Lauren Leith, it is 2017 and she netted her first goal since last century.

Supporter of the Year Award: Naaish Ahmed, doesn’t even play for a Unicol team, but often down at games Saturdays and Sundays

Best Supporting Cast Award: Mens B Div with 45 and counting The Thrown in at the Deep End Award Award: Patrick Purcell, returns to Unicol after a year in Wellington, straight into the role of club captain and women’s development team coach

Best After-match Speaker: Geoff Horton, always positive, always thanks the sponsors. Worst After-match Speaker: Johan Bjerring Best Match Reports: Vets team/Women’s Reserves, banteriffic stuff. Quote of the Year: Patrick “I didn’t get in until 4am” Was it a walk of shame? Patrcik : ”I wish” Honourable mention - Former Unicol Player arriving at Uni for a game: “I suppose we get the shitty changing rooms because Rob hates us”

© R Slade

Where are they now? A look back at some of the characters of the club, and where they have ended up. Some of this will be 100% true, and some facts will be plucked from thin air. In this issue: Hamish Carruthers Hamish arrived on the Unicol doorstep a mere three seasons ago and walked, or probably more accurately ran, straight into the first team set-up. Like his namesakes, Saunders, McCain, Boyack, Utteridge and Jenkins, Hamish carried on the great Unicol tradition of players with the first name Hamish. Having completed a degree in something, he has recently joined a one-year Grad Dip Teaching Diploma, and unable to commit to training because of study, Hamish now plies his trade in the Vets squad, where he almost immediately doubled his unicol tally of goals from two to four. Contrary to popular belief, his nickname of Greyhound has nothing to do with his speed around the football field and more to do with his habit of chasing rabbits around in circles.

Chatham Cup


Appearances Goals 5+0 0


Federation Premiership

Hamish Carruthers

Appearances 54+2

Goals 2

Waikato Unicol A.F.C.

Scoresheet Magazine April 2018  

Unicol Club Magazine April 2018

Scoresheet Magazine April 2018  

Unicol Club Magazine April 2018