university of new brunswick fredericton viewbook 2012/13
success through support
info sessions: bringing unB to you
cost & scholarships
important dates & how to apply
why university? More money
More career options
With a university degree, youâ€™ll earn about $1.3 million more over a 40-year working career than you would with just a high school diploma. Thatâ€™s over $30,000 more per year!
Over the next six years, 5.5 million jobs will become available across Canada. The vast majority of them will require a university degree.
university gives you the opportunity to travel and experience the world while earning credits toward your degree through exchange and travel/ study programs.
travel & learn
campus & residence
why UNB? More ﬂexibility
With over 75 world-class undergraduate and graduate programs to choose from, you can tailor your education to suit your interests and your schedule.
Our average class size is just 33 students! That means you’ll easily meet friends and get more individual attention from profs who actually know your name!
Find success through support. From healthcare and career advice to math and writing assistance, we’ll give you the help you need.
plus, we’ve got over 80 exciting study abroad programs.
faculties: 14. arts 15. business administration 16. computer science 17. engineering 18. forestry and environmental management 19. kinesiology 20. nursing 21. science 22. renaissance college 23. education/law
â€œMy Faculty here has offered me opportunities that i would never have anywhere else, and small class sizes have made it easy to form personal relationships with my instructors. Overall, what i appreciate most is the real-world knowledge i have gained. never before have i been able to apply powerful knowledge in such a straightforward manner. Jason levesque
More resources Work out in our brand new richard J. CurriE CEnTEr, one of the finest sports performance and event facilities in the country. Be part of exciting research that is changing lives â€” helping nASA to develop the first manned mission to Mars; mapping the ocean floor to find downed aircraft or rescue stranded cruise ships; or developing wind power for environmental sustainability. Youâ€™ll learn, research and train with the best!
campus tour and contact info
â€œPassion, purpose, persistence, pride: these are the building blocks of success in everything you do. Eddy Campbell, UNB President and Vice-Chancellor
Your success is our top priority. Our extensive network of student support services will give you the help, guidance and assistance you need to succeed in your university career.
Student Services The recently renovated C.C. Jones Student Services Centre houses our state-of-the-art Student Health Centre, Counselling Services, Career and Employment Services, and Financial Aid Office, as well as the Office of Student Affairs. The Student Union Building is the social hub of campus, with over 90 different clubs and societies. Our Student Success Workshop Series presents free, bi-weekly workshops on issues that are key to student success. Relationships 101; Goal-setting, Motivation and Procrastination; Managing Time & Money; Coping with Stress; Mastering Test Taking; and Planning Your Career and Education are just some examples of topics covered in this informative and engaging series. The Student Accessibility Centre provides assistance and resources to students with special needs and challenges, while the Math Help Centre offers free math tutoring in all preparatory and first-year math courses. www.unb.ca/fredericton/studentservices
From our excellent tutoring
and counselling services to our Student Advocate,
we’re here to help.
STUDENT EMPLOYMENT SERVICES
The writing and study skills program
We’re here to help! From résumé writing to job hunting, job search tools, and strategies!
Offers sessions on notetaking, report writing, exam preparation, and time management.
UNB’s FOUR LIBRARIES hold the highest volume of resources per student in Canada according to Maclean’s 2010 Guide to Universities.
Learn more about yourself:
that aligns with interests and career plans
Explore all the career possibilities open to UNB graduates
Find work experience:
about your studies, your career and your life
internships, part-time work, Co-op Programs
Learn job search strategies!
â€œâ€Śuntil now, my friends and I felt there was no connection between what we were learning and what we were going to do as a career. Scott Walters, Arts Graduate
personality, skills and values
Choose a major
We know you want that great career and we can help you get there. Our Career Connections website helps you determine what you want in life, and map out a strategy to make it happen. Learn about yourself through personality tests, develop a career-oriented education strategy, gain insights into the job market, network with potential employers and more! www.unb.ca/careerconnections
AdMiTTEd in AS liTTlE AS 10 MinuTES BY ATTEnding OnE OF Our gET
AdMiSSiOn On THE
Important Dates: March 1
• Application deadline for students wishing to be considered for scholarships
download the unB Fredericton application or call 1-888-895-3344 to have one mailed to you. Apply online, by mail, or by attending one of our admission on the Spot events.
• Application deadline for all other students
• Students receive scholarship offers
• Deadline for students to accept admission and scholarship offers and confirm room in residence by paying the residence deposit.
June & July
• On-campus registration days for new students (exact dates to be announced)
• Students receive residence room assignments • Students receive orientation information
• Welcome to UNB!
apply online for admission and scholarships
sessions we’ll come to you… • admission on the Spot events. Have your application assessed in person; receive your acceptance in as little as 10 minutes! • “UNB and You” info sessions. Chat with a unB representative face-to-face about programs and campus life.
…or you can come to us! • Open house. October 22, 2011 from 11am – 2pm get an insider’s view of unB. Take a tour; meet professors and students; explore residences, faculty buildings, athletic facilities and more. Have an on-campus meal and make yourself at home. parents are always welcome! visit www.unb.ca to see when we are in your area.
Take a campus tour and you could wIN an iPad! Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
We’ll customize a campus tour for you any day of the week!
UNB: an investment with a huge return UNB is competitively priced, with many resources to help you reduce your costs, such as scholarships, bursaries, Co-op Programs, and a Financial Aid Office that will help you with everything from bank loans to budgeting.
(based on 85% average)
Other fees $545
Summer employment/ personal savings $6,080
(during shool year – 10h/week)
Parental contribution/ student loan $7,033
Residence/ Meals $8,137 Books $1,000 Entertainment/ Miscellaneous $1,000
Total $16,613 (expenses)
My possible income:
Total $16,613 (income)
My upper year income opportunities: • Proctorship in residence $4,358 • Co-op Programs (four-month terms) $6,400-$17,000
If you have an 80% academic average coming out of high school, you’re guaranteed at least $500 in scholarship support. And the higher your marks, the bigger our scholarships get. Our top scholarship award is worth $50,000.
IN 2010-2011, ONE IN EVERY TWO INCOMING HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS RECEIVED A SCHOLARSHIP.
Bonus! If you’ve taken enriched courses in high school, we will add bonus points directly onto your overall scholarship average. Go to www.unb.ca/scholarships for more information.
• Summer employment ($9.50-$15.00/hr) $6,400-$17,200 • UNB Work-Study Program ($10.00/hr) $3,200
UNB awards over $5 million in scholarships annually.
Kristina’s Story Find out how our scholarship program helped one UNB student realize her life-long dream of becoming a doctor.
UNB HAS MORE THAN
80 EXCHANGE/ STUDY PROGRAMS IN 32 COUNTRIES!
widen your horizons through our Study abroad programs As a unB student, you can travel and study in countries all over the world, earning credits towards your degree while exploring new regions, learning about new cultures and making lasting friendships. no matter what your discipline, unB has travel opportunities for you. Almost every faculty offers Study Abroad options through Co-op programs, internships or student exchange programs.
2 in 5 unB FrEdEriCTOn undErgrAdS grAduATE dEBT-FrEE! (Canadian undergraduate Survey Consortium)
while you learn work-Study Programs provide part-time, on-campus
UNB Student Employment Service
employment during fall and winter terms.
Find that perfect summer job, on-campus employment, and access information about Federal and provincial student placement programs:
Internships are available locally, nationally and internationally and involve blocks of paid work time with agencies or businesses related to your field of study.
Co-op Programs offer opportunities for paid, career-related work experience while working towards your undergraduate degree.
Located in the heart of the scenic Saint John River Valley, Fredericton is a culturally rich community with a cosmopolitan feel.
NAMED ONE OF THE
WORLD’S TOP 7 INTELLIGEN COMMUNITIETS.
life FREDERICTON: a capital city with class The provincial capital of new Brunswick, Fredericton is home to approximately 50,500 residents and 8,000 full-time students. Known for its rich arts culture, dynamic music scene and vibrant nightlife as well as for its beautiful heritage properties and scenic natural landscapes, Fredericton combines a small-town feel with a big city vibe.
Discover… • Malls, boutiques, bookstores, music stores • Multicultural sidewalk cafés and restaurants • Music and theatre • Art galleries and museums • 85 kilometres of scenic walking and biking trails • One of the best golf courses in Canada • Skiing and snowboarding at near-by Crabbe Mountain
FREDERICTON’S BOYCE FaRMERS’ MaRkET, recognized as one of the top 10 community markets in Canada, is a popular student gathering spot on Saturday mornings.
• The Harvest Jazz and Blues Festival
cram sessions. The laughter. And friendships to last a lifetime. At UNB, living in residence means having convenient and safe access to everything from classrooms, labs, libraries, athletic facilities, stores, coffee shops and more…not to mention lots of fun in the company of friends!
Residence life. This is where university memories are made… The late-night pizza parties. The communal
Feel at home in a supportive environment Our residence houses have: • Proctors • Floor team leaders • A house president • House events
In the past five years, UNB residences
have raised more than
$250,000 for charity.
• House sports • And more: www.unb.ca/fredericton/resconf
Grab a bite! Enjoy flexible meal plans and all-you-can-eat dining. Snack at the Student Union Building or grab a bite at one of several on-campus eateries, like Pizza-Pizza, Mr. Sub, The Head Rest, Tim Horton’s and others. www.unb.ca/sodexo/pdf/UNB_Mealplans.pdf Welcome to Townhouse, the virtual residence for off-campus students. Get connected! Take part in house activities, parties, BBQ’s, meet-and-greets, movie nights and more. It’s the on-campus experience for the off-campus student. Find us on Facebook!
Fun for Funds! Whether it’s beds-on-wheels, soap box derbies or caber-tossing in kilts, there’s always something wildly fun happening on campus. From the Bridges House Polar Dip to the Neville/Jones House Bed Push, UNB residences have hosted fundraising events for everything from the IWK Children’s Hospital to the Canadian Cancer Society.
Read all about it! UNB’s campus newpaper, the Brunswickan is Canada’s oldest student publication.
Sneak a peek at Orientation Week!
Come join the fun! We’ll make you feel right at home!
Get to the top of your game! Play in our high-performance gyms; work out on the latest cardio and fitness equipment; train with skilled instructors in a widerange of disciplines, from dance classes to the martial arts.
The Richard J. CURRIE CENTER The brand new CURRIE CENTER is a state-of-the-art sport performance and special event facility — one of the best in the country. Stretch your muscles in one of its highperformance gymnasiums and bring yourself up to speed on the elevated, 191-metre running track. This multi-purpose, five-storey sports and event center also features a worldclass human performance lab (on par with Nike’s lab!), a sport medicine centre, as well as fitness studios. The CURRIE CENTER is home to the Varsity Reds basketball and volleyball teams, and is the venue for UNB’s graduation ceremonies.
Do what moves you! Our campus recreation program offers a wide spectrum of activities and classes to meet all interests, abilities and fitness levels. Program facilities include a pool, gymnasiums, cardio and weight rooms, dance and yoga studios, a rock climbing wall, squash courts, athletic fields, a rink, a fitness assessment centre and more.
Love sports? Join the club! Club teams include: baseball, cross country, field hockey, judo, rugby, softball, hockey, football, wrestling, and more.
Get your game on! Choose from a full roster of intramural sports, including: softball, ultimate Frisbee, outdoor soccer, ball hockey, basketball, volleyball and more.
Our new $62-million
CURRIE CENTER is one of the
best athletic facilities in Canada.
Our MEn’S HOCKEY TEAM
UNB Women’s Basketball finished second in the 2010-2011 AUS standings.
world-class facilities The new BMO CEnTrE for soccer, the AiTKEn CEnTrE for hockey and the richard J. CurriE CEnTEr for volleyball and basketball are athletic facilities to rival any in the country.
Excellence on and off the field One-third of varsity red Athletes are A students, and are recognized as CiS Academic All Canadians. As well, unB athletes are active volunteers, participating in many fundraisers and other community programs.
The varsity reds will host the national Men’s Hockey Championship 2012, and the CiS Men’s Soccer nationals in 2013.
National Championship hosts
Our Men’s Hockey team wins again!
The Bank of Montreal recently donated $1,000,000 to our Soccer program.
viSiT ASiA, EurOpE, And pArTS OF nOrTH AMEriCA THrOugH Our
STudY ABrOAd prOgrAMS.
OUR BA IN MULTIMEDIA STUDIES Today’s job market demands creativity, communication skills, analytical skills, imagination, and flexibility. With an Arts degree, you’ll develop all that and more.
You’ve got huge variety Choose from 28 different subject areas within the Arts program, including Anthropology, Classics, Culture Studies, English, Economics, French, german, History, philosophy, political Science, psychology, Sociology, international development Studies, and many more.
what we can offer you • personalized attention within our intimate, student-friendly environment.
• Career and academic adivsors.
Dig it! Our archeology program is one-of-a-kind in Eastern Canada.
UNB has ‘history’ it’s the oldest English-language university in Canada and is recognized for its outstanding history program — one of the best in the country.
The “write” stuff Our writer-in-residence program allows you to work with award-winning authors.
• Creative disciplines such as drama, Creative Writing, Film and Music. DID YOU kNOw? unb.ca/careerconnections
call 1 888 895-3344 | email email@example.com
• Concurrent degrees with other faculties including Science and Computer Science plus an applied Arts degree are offered in partnership with the new Brunswick College of Craft and design.
• Opportunities to take courses from other faculties.
We have one of the best-regarded Creative writing Programs in the nation.
IDEaL FOR CaREERS IN: • Education • public relations • Journalism • law • law Enforcement • politics & government
• Film production • Creative Writing • Administration & Management • Translation • And so much more…!
“The support that unB offers its students is truly remarkable. This institution truly serves as a model of post-secondary education at its best. Joe Kofsky
WAS THE FIRST OF ITS KIND OFFERED IN CANADA.
administration it’s never just ‘business as usual’ in this faculty. The education and networking experiences you’ll gain here will open an unlimited number of doors for career success.
THE 2009 NATIONAL COMPETITION FOR CANADA’S NEXT TOP AD EXECUTIVE!
what we can offer you • The Co-op Program is an opportunity to finance your education, gain valuable work experience and enhance your employment prospects.
The faculty’s manageable class sizes and diverse professors provide me with the skills i need to succeed in the future!” Tobi Bailey
Our International Business and Entrepreneurship Centre (IBEC) program gives you the opportunity to launch real businesses. Through this program, our students have launched 5 businesses in 5 years!
• get hands-on experience with our Student Investment Fund and our annual Business Plan Competition. www.unb.ca/fredericton/business
STudEnTS in THE STudEnT invESTMEnT Fund prOgrAM
HAvE MOrE THAn dOuBlE
THE glOBAl pASS rATE
On THE CHArTErEd FinAnCiAl AnAlYST ExAM.
call 1 888 895-3344 | email firstname.lastname@example.org
Our BBA gives you flexibility! We offer honours programs in Accounting, Economics, Economics & Finance, Finance, Human resource Management or Marketing. We also offer specialized programs, such as a BBA with a concentration in aviation and Operations Management, and a joint Business and Law degree for those interested in both.
OUR STUDENTS WON
• Human resources • Accounting • Advertising • Market research • Entrepreneurial ventures • international Business • labour relations • Financial Advising • Market Communications • Budget Analysis • Auditing • promotions Management • personal Finance • Sales
Choose your program
IDEaL FOR CaREERS IN:
MAnY inCOMing STudEnTS HAvE
guArAnTEEd JOBS WAiTing FOr THEM WHEn THEY grAduATE
THAnKS TO THE nBiT COunCil’S nEW “ClASS OF 2011” prOgrAM.
Whether it’s tracking climate change, improving healthcare, charting new solar systems or trading stocks, computer science is vital to almost every aspect of our modern society. put yourself in demand. pursue a career in information technology.
call 1 888 895-3344 | email email@example.com
Choose your program
Our grads are in demand
• Bachelor of Computer Science (BCS) lets you specialize in Hardware Systems; Software Systems; information Systems; Theory and Computation; Multimedia Systems; or geographic information Systems.
in Canada, the demand for iT professionals far outstrips the number of computer science graduates, with Canadian employers expected to hire 106,000 new iT employees over the next five years.
• Bachelor of Information Systems (BISys) provides strong technical skills and a solid business foundation.
Our Co-op Program gives BCS, BiSys and BScSwE students the practical and financial advantage: students gain valuable experience and can earn up to $22/hour during their work terms.
• Bachelor of Science in Software Engineering (BScSwE) applies engineering techniques to the design, implementation, testing and maintenance of software products.
IDEaL FOR CaREERS IN: • Artificial intelligence • Computer Animation • Telecommunications • Computer Security • E-Commerce • Management Consulting • Education • Financial Services • Software development • Healthcare • game design and development • Multimedia • Wireless Communications • national defense • network Administration • developing exciting new technologies
OUR CO-OP PROgRaM OFFERS STELLaR OPPORTUNITIES! Just ask computer science student, Seth Holditch. He’s working with the Canadian Space Agency (CSA), turning raw satellite data into visual animation. Far out!
“Computer Science is a field of endless possibilities. Taking Computer Science has allowed me to keep all my options open. Emily Golding, Bachelor of information Systems student
computer science: innovation
If your mission is to make the “impossible” possible, Engineering may be for you. From artificial intelligence to powering prosthetic limbs, engineers are redefining the parameters of possibility!
Undecided about which field you want to pursue? Engineering I is a first-year option that provides a sampling of different courses, to help you determine which engineering specialty best suits your interests.
Locate your place in the world Our Geomatics Engineering program is one of only two accredited Geomatics programs in Canada. UNB’s Faculty of Engineering really has it figured out when it comes to both personal and academic growth. The thriving social community is a perfect complement to the challenging courses… UNB truly does have the complete package.”
• UNB professor Luichen Chang was named “a world leader in the field of renewable energy conversion” by the Canadian Academy of Engineering. • Our Institute of Biomedical Engineering is a world leader in the research of powered upper body prosthetics for children and adults. • UNB engineering graduate, Sean Dowling won a NASA Space Flight Awareness Award for his work for the International Space Station.
Ideal for careers in: • Transportation • Equipment Design • Construction • Consulting • Quality Assurance • The Petroleum Industry • Patent Engineering • Electronics • Application and Test Engineering • Environmental Protection • System Analysis • Biomedical Engineering
UNB is one of the
top 10 engineering schools in Canada
– Knight school rankings
Our Biomedical option is available in select programs for those preparing to enter medical school with an engineering degree.
call 1 888 895-3344 | email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Bachelor of Science in Engineering offers many fields of specialization. Choose from Chemical, Civil, Computer, Electrical, Geological, Geomatics, Mechanical, or Software Engineering.
Leaders in our field
Choose your program
90% OF OUR FACULTY’S GRADUATES HAVE A
JOB WITHIN SIX MONTHS.
management Passionate about the planet? Then Forestry and Environmental Management may be for you! Understanding and sustaining our natural resources has become an issue of global importance like never before. Our graduates are in high demand around the world.
Choose your program • Our new Bachelor of Science in Environment and Natural Resources (BScENR) equips you to solve environmental and natural resource problems. Choose one of three areas of specialty: Environmental Management, Water Resource Management, or Wildlife Conservation.
• The Bachelor of Science in Forestry (BScF) prepares you to become a Registered Professional Forester.
CALL 1 888 895-3344 | EMAIL CHOOSEUNB@UNB.CA
• Obtain a Wildlife Management Certification (Wildlife Conservation major) or minor in Marine Biology via the Huntsman Marine Science Program.
What we can offer you • Get hands-on experience in our fall field camps and final year practicum. • Take advantage of our small class sizes (average 20 students) and receive more one-on-one attention. • Environmental Management students typically find excellent summer job placements, earning, on average, $2,800 per month or $24/hour. • UNB is a leader in simulation, ecological modeling, wildlife management, forest engineering and the application of Geographic Information Systems.
IDEAL FOR CAREERS IN: • • • • • • • •
Wildlife Management Pollution Control Environmental Interpretation and Education Plant Ecology Water Quality Analysis Public and Environmental Health Forestry Soil Conservation Forest Conservation
environmental management: sustainability
UNB offers a unique program that allows students to tailor their interests to their degree. It is an excellent faculty with great professors, staff and students.” Spencer Flynn
IDEaL FOR CaREERS IN: BSckin
• physiotherapy • Occupational Therapy • Medicine • Coaching • Sport psychology • Ergonomics • Fitness • Wellness • Teaching • research Scientist
• Sport Management • Wellness Consulting • recreation program Services • Teaching • Community development • Tourism
Want to work with high-performance athletes? Co-ordinate recreation programs? Facilitate the recovery of those suffering from injury or illness? Kinesiology is a gateway into both the health industry and into the exciting field of sport and recreation.
Choose your program • Bachelor of Science in kinesiology (BSckin) provides a core education in the science of human movement and performance. • Bachelor of Recreation and Sport Studies (BRSS) offers concentrations in sport and recreation management, wellness, physical education or a minor from another discipline or field of study on campus.
what we can offer you • hands-on learning by serving as trainers or therapists on sports teams and working with the varsity Athletics and Campus recreation programs as referees, supervisors, lifeguards, and more.
• Research opportunities. participate in exciting, new research on a wide variety of topics, including studies on sports performance, motor control, nutrition, volunteerism, ergonomics and more. volunteer as a test subject, collect data, or conduct your own independent research as part of the Honours program. • The kin Society represents kinesiology students and organizes many activities throughout the year. • Peer Mentors offer support to new students, and host the popular “Kin Camp”.
• Real world experience through community outreach programs. Our faculty participates in several community outreach initiatives including the Kin Kids physical Activity program for children ages 5-12 and the Take H.E.A.r.T program promoting healthy eating for families.
Our HuMAn pErFOrMAnCE lABOrATOrY
“Class sizes are small, so you get to know your classmates and professors on a first-name basis. it’s a degree that requires a lot of work… but it’s work you actually enjoy doing! Ashley fullarton
iS A STATE-OF-THE-ArT MOTiOn AnAlYSiS lAB…
OnE OF OnlY THrEE
SuCH FACiliTiES in THE COunTrY.
students start clinical in their
first year, with 108 hours of
What we can offer you • A Bachelor of Nursing (BN) degree qualifies you to write the Canadian Registered Nurse Examination (CRNE) as set by the Canadian Nurses Association. • Choose from one of four UNB campuses that offer nursing: Fredericton, Saint John, Moncton or Bathurst. The program is also offered at Humber College in Toronto.
call 1 888 895-3344 | email email@example.com
• Get hands-on experience in the community and in health institutions as early as your first year.
The Student Resource and Learning Centre provides a quiet place to work, as well as access to reference materials, computers, and clinical equipment. • Equal consideration. Our Faculty of Nursing is committed to the recruitment of Aboriginal students.
• Get the help you need. The Math Help Centre and the Writing and Study Skills Program offer free one-on-one tutoring.
Our new Skills Lab, built in 2009, simulates a real hospital room.
“UNB has touched my life in almost every way imaginable. When I decided to pursue a nursing degree, I could not have imagined myself attending anywhere else but UNB. Jolene Callaghan
Ideal for careers in: • Hospitals, Medical Centres and Physicians Offices • Educational Institutions • Home Care, Seniors’ Centres, and Extended Care Facilities • Rehabilitation Centres • Social Service Agencies • Mental Health Centres • Public Health Services • Trauma Centres • Intensive Care Units • Pediatrics • Surgical and Recovery Units
Whether it’s caring for children, performing medical and scientific procedures, working in the community, assisting seniors, educating the public or developing management skills, nursing has something for you.
“Our FACulTY iS YOur
HOME AWAY FrOM HOME”
Are you fascinated by the physical world? do you have an inquiring, investigative mind? Then the Sciences may be for you! Our Science degree will prepare you for an unlimited number of exciting career options.
• Our leading-edge laboratory facilities, such as our state-of-the-art chemistry lab, are among the most innovative in Canada. • Co-op Programs offer valuable work experience in Biology, Chemistry, Earth Sciences, Mathematics/Statistics and physics. • Be part of leading scientific research programs, from projects with nASA, to worldwide river ecosystems research. • Our multi-discipline approach allows you to combine your interests into one degree with the Bachelor of arts and Science (BaS) program. The Faculty of Science has offered me a huge amount of flexibility in my degree. With the one-onone help of faculty and staff members, i have been able to study and work in a field that interests me, while crossing over traditional academic borders.” Cody Alderson
• The Marine Block & Research Experience Semester introduces students to Marine Biology with regular trips to ecologically diverse sites along the Bay of Fundy, one of the marine wonders of the world. IDEaL FOR CaREERS IN: • pharmaceutical Companies • government Agencies • Highway departments • Water and Environmental Testing laboratories • Aquaculture Companies • Biotechnology Companies • petroleum and Mineral Exploration Companies • Environmental Advocacy Agencies • geology • Environmental Science • Mathematics and Statistics
STudEnTS in Our EArTH SCiEnCES prOgrAM
HAvE An AMAzing
• Consulting Firms • Medical Foundations • Clinical laboratories • Medical Supply Companies • departments of Health • graduate Studies leading to a research Career • programs leading to medicine, dentistry, veterinary medicine, optometry, pharmacy, physiotherapy, etc. • Applied, Clinical and Experimental psychology • Science Journalism
what we can offer you
unB’s Mri Centre is one of the largest and best-known material science magnetic resonance imaging labs in the world.
100% EMplOYMEnT rATE upOn grAduATiOn.
college Are you a multifaceted thinker and an inspirational leader? Would you like to be? Renaissance College will help you to become a leader in whatever field or life path you choose.
• An innovative Leadership Studies Bachelor program. Our world-class, interdisciplinary curriculum is taught by an award-winning teaching team. • A Bachelor’s degree in three years. Renaissance College students complete their program in eight consecutive terms that include two summer internships. • A Science/MCAT option for students wishing to pursue studies in medicine. • Canadian and international internships during the summers to exciting destinations such as Bhutan, Ukraine, Vietnam, Burkina Faso and others. • Interactive, seminar-style classes and projects.
My traditional farm internship in Italy gave me a chance to connect with a new culture and a different way of life.”
• Small classes. Only 25-30 students a year are accepted into this unique program. • A customized program. Choose your minor from many different areas: Business, Multimedia, Political Science, Biology, Classical Studies, Fine Arts and so much more! • Cross-cultural experiences. Study, work and volunteer in places like Ecuador, Mexico, Senegal and Vietnam, just to name a few.
Travel? Study? Do both!
• Social Development • Medicine • Business • Law • Education • Social Policy • Government & Politics • Journalism • Environmental Advocacy • Diplomacy • International Relations • Human Rights Organizations • And so much more!
In an increasingly globalized world, cross-cultural leadership is important. Our international internships help students gain an understanding of other cultures and perspectives by living and volunteering in another country for 10-12 weeks.
is in the top 10%
of all schools in North America
in educational excellence – National Survey of Student Engagement
Renaissance College provides an excellent foundation for careers in:
renaissance college: leadership
What we can offer you
What we can offer you
An Education degree opens doors as well as minds. Whether you want to shape our nation’s youth, teach overseas, or pursue a specialized career like speech pathology, an Education degree will help get you there.
• Our Bachelor of Education (BEd) program takes 11 months to complete (with a pre-requisite Bachelor’s degree in any field).
Looking for a career that’s rewarding, exciting and intellectually challenging? Then Law may be for you! Hone your powers of reasoning, sharpen your clarity of thought and perfect your ability to analyze and articulate complex ideas…and uphold justice while you’re at it!
Choose your specialization Our Faculty of Law offers a choice of many elective courses, including: Intellectual Property, Corporate Finance, Environmental Law, Natural Resources Law, Family Law, Immigration Law, Insurance, Aboriginal Law, Criminal Procedure, International Law, Feminist Legal Theory, Legal History, Human Rights, Health Law, and Comparative Law.
• More choice with nine options for specialization, including: Special Education, Second Language Education, Physical Education, Music, First Nations Education, Early Childhood Education and more. • Small class sizes. • Free tutoring through the Math Help Centre, and Writing and Study Skills program.
More classroom experience Our unique practicum puts BEd students in the classroom one day a week for the entire school year.
in 2009, Canadian Lawyer Magazine ranked
and engaging professors
Ideal for a Career As: • Law Firm Partner • Law School Professor • Business Consultant • Member of Parliament • Federal Cabinet Minister • Municipal Official • Journalist • Federal Judge
• Supreme Court Judge • Legal Researcher • Human Rights Advocate • Policy Analyst • Legislation Drafter • Public Relations Expert • And many more!
as the top 3 features of this Faculty.
Ideal for careers in: • Elementary/High School/ Adult Education • International Teaching • School Administration • College Administration • Guidance Counselling • Special Education • Social Services • Private Tutoring • Child Care
small class sizes,
opportunities to get involved
WIN AN IPAD!
We offer personalized campus tours seven days a week! Bring your parents and your friends! • Sit in on a university class and see what it’s really like • Chat with professors who are leading world-class research • Take in an ultimate dining experience — chow down on the best pizza in town, a stir fry made to order, or do-it-yourself at the salad and sandwich bar • Tour a residence room • Get admitted on the spot! Bring your application and transcript and you could be accepted in 10 minutes! U First: Student Recruitment 1 888 895-3344 or 506 458-7719 firstname.lastname@example.org
WWW.UNB.CA WWW.facebook.com/UNB FREDERICTON UNBFRED
THE FINAL WORD ON UNB Find out how these students sum up UNB in just one word.