HOW TO ask for and give directions
1 Starting the conversation
– Excuse me, Sir/Miss, can I ask you a question? – Can I ask you a question, please?
2 Asking for directions
– Could you tell me how to get to …, please? – I’m looking for … . – Do you know where I can find …? – How far is it to …?
– Sure, how can I help you? – Of course, what can I do for you?
Oh, I know where that is, let me see: – Go straight ahead at … – Walk/drive past … until you get to … – Take the first left/right. – Go 5 streets north/south. – Cross the street/road. – It’s about one mile away.
3 Giving directions
– Let me see if I understand everything. First I …, then …, finally … – Right, so if I got it right, I have to … – Thank you so much for your help!
– That’s it! Safe travels! – Yes, that’s right. Be careful, though!
two hundred and ninety-nine
4 Finishing the conversation