Page 1

12:06

Pagina 1

The Castle The present building dates back to the fifth decade of the XIV century and was erected by Ubertino da Carrara on the ruins of the previous fortification, destroyed in 1249 by the troops of Ezzelino da Romano. The oldest nucleus, dating back to the period of the great invasions, consists of a circle of walls with a little church and a large central building. Starting from the XI century the original structure was incorporated within a series of walls and residential buildings until, towards the mid-XIII century, the marquis of Este restored the castle as a defence structure. The construction has a square base, surrounded by a sturdy wall spaced by twelve little towers. The keep is on the hill, in a position of dominance over the entire town; it culminates in a square tower and has a small castle or Fort of Assistance to the north-east, that originally constituted the entrance to the fortress. The area within the walls is now equipped

A town with very remote origins

Realized with the contribution of

MUSEO NAZIONALE ATESTINO Via G. Negri, 9/c - tel. 39+0429.2085 Opening time: from 09.00 a.m till 08.00 p.m. yearly open (closed on Christmas, January 1st and May 1st)

Este, a town with very remote origins, rises in the province of Padua in the southern area of the Euganei Hills. It is 30 km from Padua, 60 from Venice and Bologna and only 8 from the municipality of Monselice, and can be reached by way of the A13, taking the Monselice exit, or else the S.S. road n. 16 Padua-Rovigo and S.R. n. 10 Padana Inferiore. The town of Este owes its toponym to the river Adige, Athesis for the Romans, that flowed through this territory until 589, when the famous break mentioned by Paolo Diacono moved its course a few kilometres to the south. Romanization of Veneto was a peaceful process: the Veneti allied themselves with the Romans against the Gauls, and obtained the status of Roman colonia. Este managed to maintain administrative autonomy until the end of the Republican Age, but the political centralization during the Imperial Age did not allow for maintenance of former magistracies. After the fall of the Roman Empire, the town of Este suffered a disastrous attack by the troops of Attila, and was reduced to a simple country village. After the tenth century, the town arose again grouped around the castle of its feudal lord Azzo, later Azzo II d’Este. The Lords of Este, after having obtained the title of

CASTLE’S PUBLIC GARDENS Via G. Negri - Free entrance Summer opening time (April 1st - September 30th): from 08.00 a.m. till 11.00 p.m. Winter opening time (October 1st - March 31st): from 09.00 a.m till 05.00 p.m.

DUOMO ABBAZIALE DI S. TECLA Piazza S. Tecla - tel. 39+0429.2009 Opening time: from 10.00 till 12.00 a.m. and from 04.00 till 06.00 p.m.

How to reach Este:

BASILICA DI S. MARIA DELLE GRAZIE

TREVISO AIRPORT

Via Principe Umberto, 55 - tel. 39+0429.2151 Opening time: from 10.00 till 12.00 a.m. and from 04.00 till 06.00 p.m.

MOTORWAY EXITS

Useful numbers:

TOWNS

Town Hall: tel. 39+0429.617511 Local Police: tel. 39+0429.2688 Tourist Office: tel. 39+0429.600462 Civic Library: tel. 39+0429.619044

EUGANEAN HILLS VENEZIA AIRPORT

Information: as a public garden. The Castle was used for defence purposes until the town’s spontaneous surrender to the Republic of Venice, when the entire structure was sold to the Mocenigo family: they were the ones who had the Palazzetto built in the late sixteenth-century, where the National Museum of Este is now located.

IAT Este Via Guido Negri, 9/a Tel.: 39+0429.600462 Fax: 39+0429.611105 www.comune.este.pd.it e-mail: iateste@virgilio.it

DIRECTION MILANO

MOTO RWAY A4

E

DIRECTION TRIESTE A4 RWAY MOTO

VERONA AIRPORT

Main events: • 3rd Sunday of each month: Antiques and Second-hand market • Wednesdays and saturdays: Weekly market • April: Este in Fiore - Exhibition-market of flowers • April: At the Court of the Estensi Historic medieval re-enactment • May: Atestiadi - Sports festival • Late May-Early June: Este Fair. • Summer: Shows and Events • September: International Chamber Music Festival • October: European Festival European Cities in Este • December: Christmas Exhibition Market

ste.

DIRECTION BOLOGNA

Riviera dei Mugnai, 8 35137 Padova Tel. +39 049 8767911 Fax +39 049 650794 www.turismopadova.it www.turismotermeeuganee.it

Provincia di Padova

Comune di Este

Parco Regionale dei Colli Euganei

© Foto: Renato Tuzza - Este.

Regione del Veneto

Dicembre 2006

19-12-2006

MOTORWAY A13

ESTE 4ante ENG mod

A town with very remote origins

marquis, began one of the principal Italian dynasties and moved their capital to Ferrara (1239). Conquered twice by Ezzelino da Romano, who had the Castle destroyed (1238 and 1249), in the XIV century Este was disputed by the Scaligeri, the Carraresi and the Visconti until it surrendered spontaneously to Venice in 1405, when a long period of peace began. During the Venetian domination the town went through a period of economic wealth and demographic growth, unfortunately interrupted by the dramatic plague epidemic in 1630. The administrative reorganization ordered by Napoleon and the affirmation of a middle class gave new impulse to the municipality, and initiatives of remarkable interest were promoted, such as the setting up of the National Museum of Este and the opening of public schools. Este’s development continued even after it was annexed to the Kingdom of Italy in 1866.


12:06

Pagina 1

The Castle The present building dates back to the fifth decade of the XIV century and was erected by Ubertino da Carrara on the ruins of the previous fortification, destroyed in 1249 by the troops of Ezzelino da Romano. The oldest nucleus, dating back to the period of the great invasions, consists of a circle of walls with a little church and a large central building. Starting from the XI century the original structure was incorporated within a series of walls and residential buildings until, towards the mid-XIII century, the marquis of Este restored the castle as a defence structure. The construction has a square base, surrounded by a sturdy wall spaced by twelve little towers. The keep is on the hill, in a position of dominance over the entire town; it culminates in a square tower and has a small castle or Fort of Assistance to the north-east, that originally constituted the entrance to the fortress. The area within the walls is now equipped

A town with very remote origins

Realized with the contribution of

MUSEO NAZIONALE ATESTINO Via G. Negri, 9/c - tel. 39+0429.2085 Opening time: from 09.00 a.m till 08.00 p.m. yearly open (closed on Christmas, January 1st and May 1st)

Este, a town with very remote origins, rises in the province of Padua in the southern area of the Euganei Hills. It is 30 km from Padua, 60 from Venice and Bologna and only 8 from the municipality of Monselice, and can be reached by way of the A13, taking the Monselice exit, or else the S.S. road n. 16 Padua-Rovigo and S.R. n. 10 Padana Inferiore. The town of Este owes its toponym to the river Adige, Athesis for the Romans, that flowed through this territory until 589, when the famous break mentioned by Paolo Diacono moved its course a few kilometres to the south. Romanization of Veneto was a peaceful process: the Veneti allied themselves with the Romans against the Gauls, and obtained the status of Roman colonia. Este managed to maintain administrative autonomy until the end of the Republican Age, but the political centralization during the Imperial Age did not allow for maintenance of former magistracies. After the fall of the Roman Empire, the town of Este suffered a disastrous attack by the troops of Attila, and was reduced to a simple country village. After the tenth century, the town arose again grouped around the castle of its feudal lord Azzo, later Azzo II d’Este. The Lords of Este, after having obtained the title of

CASTLE’S PUBLIC GARDENS Via G. Negri - Free entrance Summer opening time (April 1st - September 30th): from 08.00 a.m. till 11.00 p.m. Winter opening time (October 1st - March 31st): from 09.00 a.m till 05.00 p.m.

DUOMO ABBAZIALE DI S. TECLA Piazza S. Tecla - tel. 39+0429.2009 Opening time: from 10.00 till 12.00 a.m. and from 04.00 till 06.00 p.m.

How to reach Este:

BASILICA DI S. MARIA DELLE GRAZIE

TREVISO AIRPORT

Via Principe Umberto, 55 - tel. 39+0429.2151 Opening time: from 10.00 till 12.00 a.m. and from 04.00 till 06.00 p.m.

MOTORWAY EXITS

Useful numbers:

TOWNS

Town Hall: tel. 39+0429.617511 Local Police: tel. 39+0429.2688 Tourist Office: tel. 39+0429.600462 Civic Library: tel. 39+0429.619044

EUGANEAN HILLS VENEZIA AIRPORT

Information: as a public garden. The Castle was used for defence purposes until the town’s spontaneous surrender to the Republic of Venice, when the entire structure was sold to the Mocenigo family: they were the ones who had the Palazzetto built in the late sixteenth-century, where the National Museum of Este is now located.

IAT Este Via Guido Negri, 9/a Tel.: 39+0429.600462 Fax: 39+0429.611105 www.comune.este.pd.it e-mail: iateste@virgilio.it

DIRECTION MILANO

MOTO RWAY A4

E

DIRECTION TRIESTE A4 RWAY MOTO

VERONA AIRPORT

Main events: • 3rd Sunday of each month: Antiques and Second-hand market • Wednesdays and saturdays: Weekly market • April: Este in Fiore - Exhibition-market of flowers • April: At the Court of the Estensi Historic medieval re-enactment • May: Atestiadi - Sports festival • Late May-Early June: Este Fair. • Summer: Shows and Events • September: International Chamber Music Festival • October: European Festival European Cities in Este • December: Christmas Exhibition Market

ste.

DIRECTION BOLOGNA

Riviera dei Mugnai, 8 35137 Padova Tel. +39 049 8767911 Fax +39 049 650794 www.turismopadova.it www.turismotermeeuganee.it

Provincia di Padova

Comune di Este

Parco Regionale dei Colli Euganei

© Foto: Renato Tuzza - Este.

Regione del Veneto

Dicembre 2006

19-12-2006

MOTORWAY A13

ESTE 4ante ENG mod

A town with very remote origins

marquis, began one of the principal Italian dynasties and moved their capital to Ferrara (1239). Conquered twice by Ezzelino da Romano, who had the Castle destroyed (1238 and 1249), in the XIV century Este was disputed by the Scaligeri, the Carraresi and the Visconti until it surrendered spontaneously to Venice in 1405, when a long period of peace began. During the Venetian domination the town went through a period of economic wealth and demographic growth, unfortunately interrupted by the dramatic plague epidemic in 1630. The administrative reorganization ordered by Napoleon and the affirmation of a middle class gave new impulse to the municipality, and initiatives of remarkable interest were promoted, such as the setting up of the National Museum of Este and the opening of public schools. Este’s development continued even after it was annexed to the Kingdom of Italy in 1866.


ESTE 4ante ENG mod

19-12-2006

12:07

Pagina 5

Town Hall Overlooking piazza Maggiore, the Town Hall is an elegant building with loggias dating back to the XVII century, recently restored; the balcony above the portico is an eighteenth-century addition.

in 1717. The interior is in the form of a latin cross; among the works of art conserved here the canvas of "Sant'Antonio da Padova and Child and other Saints" by Zanchi and the valuable marble cornice of the miraculous icon are outstanding.

Palazzetto of the Scaligeri

Church of San Martino Attested since the XI century, the church of San Martino is the oldest in Este. The building has a simple and elegant structure, dating back to the fourteenth-century reconstruction and the successive one in the seventeenth century. It is basilica-based with a nave and two aisles.

On the south side of the square one can see the Palazzetto of the Scaligeri, where now the Reading-Room Society has its headquarters. In this fourteenth-century gothic building there is now a library containing fifty thousand volumes.

Prince’s palace Stronghold of Ponte di Torre The stronghold is what remains of the separate forts that, together with the castle and the battlemented walls, protected Este even before the epoch of Carrara. Structurally, it consists of a circle of walls and a square tower, 24 m high.

Church of Santa Maria delle Consolazioni or degli Zoccoli

The building rises on a hill; it was built for the Contarinis according to a plan by Vincenzo Scamozzi, who had it given a central base, with a Greek-cross hall. It owes its name to an episode from its history, that is, when Alvise Contarini, during a sojourn in the villa, received communication of his election as doge.

This sixteenth-century building has a single nave. Inside one can admire a Roman mosaic floor in the chapel of the Virgin.

Church of the Blessed Virgin of Health

Civic tower of the Porta Vecchia The present tower can be dated late-XVII century and rises on the spot of a previous gate. A clock was on it, as attested by the distribution of the rooms inside. At a height of eight metres there is a first room containing two blocks of trachyte, formerly used as counterweights for the clock; at a height of twelve metres there is the old room “of poles and attachments”. Finally, at a height of approx. twenty metres, we find the bell-cell, containing the support structure of the bronze bell forged in 1637.

Abbey Cathedral of Santa Tecla Erected on the ruins of a previous early Christian basilica, the Cathedral was rebuilt in the late-seventeenth and early-eighteenth centuries. Its interior is elliptical, with a large presbytery; there are many works of art, among which the "Intercession by Saint Tecla" by Giambattista Tiepolo stands out. Canvasses by the local painter Antonio Zanchi decorate the parsonage.

The construction of the church began in 1639 and was completed in 1640 because it had collapsed. The building, octagonal, is rich in paintings, commissioned to famous artists, among whom Antonio Zanchi, the author of three canvasses of great relevance: the Presentation of Mary at the Temple, the Nuptials of the Virgin and the Annunciation.

Basilica of Santa Maria delle Grazie The Sanctuary was built following testamentary dispositions by Taddeo d'Este, who had a fifteenthcentury Byzantine icon placed there that was considered miraculous. On top of the first, modest fifteenth-century building, a second one was built

The National Museum of Este The first collection of epigraphs, from Roman times, was assembled by the nobleman Giorgio Contarini in the early seventeenth century; this first collection was gradually enriched with material from tomb furnishings discovered in Este in the second half of the nineteenth century. The nucleus of today’s Museum of Este is owed however to Vincenzo Fracanzani, magistrate of Este, who in 1834 decided to institute a collection initially called Civic Lapidary Museum, at first located in the church of St. Francis, adjacent to the Oratory of Saint Mary. This location proved to be inadequate and the State instituted the National Museum (decree of 1 April

1887) and transferred it to Palazzo Mocenigo. The museum, was restructured in the early eighties and was opened again to the public in 1984. The tour winds through eleven halls starting on the first floor. Below are briefly illustrated the most interesting itineraries both in the pre-Roman section (halls I-V) and in the Roman one (halls VI-X). In the first hall artefacts are assembled ranging from the Eneolithic Age (III millennium BC) to the Bronze Age and the very beginning of the Iron Age (IX century BC). There are remarkable artefacts in stone and ceramics as well as many clay vases in various forms made of a reddish mixture. The second hall is devoted to the villages of the Iron Age, pertaining to the town and its territory; there are collections of fibulas in bronze and semi-worked iron, tools for weaving, earthen vases. There are a great many examples of kitchen and eating pottery in this hall. In the third hall, devoted to the ancient burial cults, artefacts are assembled relating to the principal necropolises in Este in the IX-III centuries BC. The itinerary winds through about seventy tomb furnishings. The most valuable object here is the bronze statue “Benvenuti”, dating back to approximately 600BC; it is a cup in beaten and chiselled bronze featuring

zoomorphic figures and scenes from daily life. The fourth hall collects the ex-votives from Este’s places of cult, the most important of which lay along the course of the Adige and was devoted to the goddess Reitia, a healing divinity. The fifth hall exhibits the most recent pre-Roman finds in Veneto. In the sixth hall, the first of the Roman section, Romanization of the territory is documented through the collection of archaeological, epigraphic and linguistic documents. Besides this, there are beautiful tomb furnishings with elegant silver jewels and a large amount of grey ceramics. The material in the seventh halls consists mainly of public inscriptions naming the people covering determined positions. The eighth hall is devoted to the necropolises, and burial monuments are presented divided by type (inhumation or incineration) and form (altars, niches, slabs, sarcophagi, etc.). In the ninth and tenth halls the objects exhibited are linked to domestic and economic activities, and there are also jewels and objects for personal hygiene and beauty. The museum tour ends in the twelfth hall, where the objects exhibited are from much more recent epochs, early Middle Ages, Middle Ages and Renaissance, and they come from demolished buildings.

Visiting hours, didactical material and public services The museum is open daily 9am-8pm. Entrance is free for European citizens under 18 and over 65. Visits can be organized for school groups, by prior booking. In occasion of the centenary of its institution (6 July 1902 - 6 July 2002), the museum has enlarged the selection of services it offers, in particular in the context of communications. Besides the already existing informative sources - the little free brochure and some important monographs - sixteen panels in four languages have been created in order to facilitate tours. Also in the context of services offered, it is worth remembering the system of audio-guides, that allow one to listen both inside and outside to useful information, without being tied to the itinerary.

Archaeological itinerary Set up by the Archaeological Superintendency for the Region of Veneto in collaboration with the Councils for Culture of the Province of Padua and the Municipality of Este, the Itinerary, six kilometres long, is entirely within the present town’s territory and can be covered on foot or by bicycle. Along the entire route sixteen numbered panels illustrate the excavations carried out in loco, the material discovered and the positions of the various zones in relation to the settlements of pre-Roman and Roman Este.

The deep cultural roots of Este are reflected in the strong attraction that this town has always had on poets, writers, artists and men of letters. Este keeps numberless evidences of the intense cultural activity which has been characterising this town for centuries, one has only to think of the troubadour poets who met at the court of Azzo VI d’Este in the XIII c., or at the artists and men of letters who gathered at the mansion of the Venetian nobleman Alvise Cornaro in the XVI c., at the great Romantic poets Byron and Shelley, who lived at Villa Kunkler, at the presence of Bruce Chatwin at Villa Albrizzi.

Ceramics of Este Este’s ceramics are unique in the world in terms of make, materials and workmanship, and today are still made by hand. Ceramics production has continued more or less without interruption from prehistoric times to our days, as attested by artefacts conserved in the National Museum of Este, that give examples of the various levels of evolution in taste and technique. After the pause during the Middle Ages, manufactory was launched again in the eighteenth century, after Europe had abandoned the ceramics makers in the Orient and turned to local manufacturers. In that period in Este there were already six perfectly operative manufactories that arose at the time of the discovery of the “secret” of oriental porcelain. In this respect, there is talk of a real “craftsmen’s flight” from the manufactory of Nove di Bassano, a diaspora that led to the diffusion of working methods and styles in many Italian and foreign towns, but that above all caused a few factories to excel in Este, like the Brunello manufactory, situated at the Girometta bridge, the Costa-Fabris one, located in Via Settabile, and the most important, the Franchini one with headquarters in Borgo Schiavin. Franchini was a goldsmith and engraver, and he decided to found his own factory of earthenware and porcelain, with the collaboration of Jean Pierre Varion, a very expert former: this association gave rise to a production of objects in ceramics of great artistic value. In the Museum of Este, for example, one can admire a “Christ” by Franchini; in the showcases of the museum there are even the original

eighteenth-century moulds found in the old factory, of which copies are used today to make bowls, vases and dishes. There are three ways of working with ceramics: with turner’s wheel, at the strainer, filling the moulds with liquid earth (this is a technique used for large objects), or else with presses. Once ready, the object goes into the oven to become a “biscuit”. When it has been cooked it is ready for decoration. All phases of work and decoration are carried out by hand, and for the decorations only natural colours or oxides are used. Among the decorations characteristic of ceramics from Este, fruit and vegetables prevail, as the most classical tradition requires. Once decorated, the object is placed in a tub containing glass powder; with this procedure, known by the name of “crystalline”, the decoration looks shiny and does not come off. At this point the object is ready for the second oven session, while a third is provided for exclusively for those objects that have decorations in gold or a bright red colour.

Main Ceramics Producers in Este: • Antica Ceramica d’Este - via Rovigo, 39 - Tel. 0429.3493 • Ceramica d’Este Arte Più via Vicenza, 1 - Baone - Tel. 0429.4258 • Ceramica Euganea viale dell’Industria, 13 - Tel. 0429.50352 • Ceramiche d’Arte Mary - via Galilei, 19 - Tel. 0429.601059 • Ceramiche Estensi - via Volta - Tel. 0429.4848 • Ceramiche Marcuzzo - via Monache, 5 - Tel. 0429.602601 • Este Ceramiche Porcellane via Sabina, 31 - Tel. 0429.2270 - 0429.3064 • Gastone Primon M° Scultore piazza Trento, 22 - Tel. 348.1993370 • Scuola Bottega della Ceramica di C. Padovan Viale Fiume, 55 - Tel. 347.1087090 • Porcellane L’Arte di B.B.M. via Volta, 16 - Tel. 0429.602030


ESTE 4ante ENG mod

19-12-2006

12:07

Pagina 5

Town Hall Overlooking piazza Maggiore, the Town Hall is an elegant building with loggias dating back to the XVII century, recently restored; the balcony above the portico is an eighteenth-century addition.

in 1717. The interior is in the form of a latin cross; among the works of art conserved here the canvas of "Sant'Antonio da Padova and Child and other Saints" by Zanchi and the valuable marble cornice of the miraculous icon are outstanding.

Palazzetto of the Scaligeri

Church of San Martino Attested since the XI century, the church of San Martino is the oldest in Este. The building has a simple and elegant structure, dating back to the fourteenth-century reconstruction and the successive one in the seventeenth century. It is basilica-based with a nave and two aisles.

On the south side of the square one can see the Palazzetto of the Scaligeri, where now the Reading-Room Society has its headquarters. In this fourteenth-century gothic building there is now a library containing fifty thousand volumes.

Prince’s palace Stronghold of Ponte di Torre The stronghold is what remains of the separate forts that, together with the castle and the battlemented walls, protected Este even before the epoch of Carrara. Structurally, it consists of a circle of walls and a square tower, 24 m high.

Church of Santa Maria delle Consolazioni or degli Zoccoli

The building rises on a hill; it was built for the Contarinis according to a plan by Vincenzo Scamozzi, who had it given a central base, with a Greek-cross hall. It owes its name to an episode from its history, that is, when Alvise Contarini, during a sojourn in the villa, received communication of his election as doge.

This sixteenth-century building has a single nave. Inside one can admire a Roman mosaic floor in the chapel of the Virgin.

Church of the Blessed Virgin of Health

Civic tower of the Porta Vecchia The present tower can be dated late-XVII century and rises on the spot of a previous gate. A clock was on it, as attested by the distribution of the rooms inside. At a height of eight metres there is a first room containing two blocks of trachyte, formerly used as counterweights for the clock; at a height of twelve metres there is the old room “of poles and attachments”. Finally, at a height of approx. twenty metres, we find the bell-cell, containing the support structure of the bronze bell forged in 1637.

Abbey Cathedral of Santa Tecla Erected on the ruins of a previous early Christian basilica, the Cathedral was rebuilt in the late-seventeenth and early-eighteenth centuries. Its interior is elliptical, with a large presbytery; there are many works of art, among which the "Intercession by Saint Tecla" by Giambattista Tiepolo stands out. Canvasses by the local painter Antonio Zanchi decorate the parsonage.

The construction of the church began in 1639 and was completed in 1640 because it had collapsed. The building, octagonal, is rich in paintings, commissioned to famous artists, among whom Antonio Zanchi, the author of three canvasses of great relevance: the Presentation of Mary at the Temple, the Nuptials of the Virgin and the Annunciation.

Basilica of Santa Maria delle Grazie The Sanctuary was built following testamentary dispositions by Taddeo d'Este, who had a fifteenthcentury Byzantine icon placed there that was considered miraculous. On top of the first, modest fifteenth-century building, a second one was built

The National Museum of Este The first collection of epigraphs, from Roman times, was assembled by the nobleman Giorgio Contarini in the early seventeenth century; this first collection was gradually enriched with material from tomb furnishings discovered in Este in the second half of the nineteenth century. The nucleus of today’s Museum of Este is owed however to Vincenzo Fracanzani, magistrate of Este, who in 1834 decided to institute a collection initially called Civic Lapidary Museum, at first located in the church of St. Francis, adjacent to the Oratory of Saint Mary. This location proved to be inadequate and the State instituted the National Museum (decree of 1 April

1887) and transferred it to Palazzo Mocenigo. The museum, was restructured in the early eighties and was opened again to the public in 1984. The tour winds through eleven halls starting on the first floor. Below are briefly illustrated the most interesting itineraries both in the pre-Roman section (halls I-V) and in the Roman one (halls VI-X). In the first hall artefacts are assembled ranging from the Eneolithic Age (III millennium BC) to the Bronze Age and the very beginning of the Iron Age (IX century BC). There are remarkable artefacts in stone and ceramics as well as many clay vases in various forms made of a reddish mixture. The second hall is devoted to the villages of the Iron Age, pertaining to the town and its territory; there are collections of fibulas in bronze and semi-worked iron, tools for weaving, earthen vases. There are a great many examples of kitchen and eating pottery in this hall. In the third hall, devoted to the ancient burial cults, artefacts are assembled relating to the principal necropolises in Este in the IX-III centuries BC. The itinerary winds through about seventy tomb furnishings. The most valuable object here is the bronze statue “Benvenuti”, dating back to approximately 600BC; it is a cup in beaten and chiselled bronze featuring

zoomorphic figures and scenes from daily life. The fourth hall collects the ex-votives from Este’s places of cult, the most important of which lay along the course of the Adige and was devoted to the goddess Reitia, a healing divinity. The fifth hall exhibits the most recent pre-Roman finds in Veneto. In the sixth hall, the first of the Roman section, Romanization of the territory is documented through the collection of archaeological, epigraphic and linguistic documents. Besides this, there are beautiful tomb furnishings with elegant silver jewels and a large amount of grey ceramics. The material in the seventh halls consists mainly of public inscriptions naming the people covering determined positions. The eighth hall is devoted to the necropolises, and burial monuments are presented divided by type (inhumation or incineration) and form (altars, niches, slabs, sarcophagi, etc.). In the ninth and tenth halls the objects exhibited are linked to domestic and economic activities, and there are also jewels and objects for personal hygiene and beauty. The museum tour ends in the twelfth hall, where the objects exhibited are from much more recent epochs, early Middle Ages, Middle Ages and Renaissance, and they come from demolished buildings.

Visiting hours, didactical material and public services The museum is open daily 9am-8pm. Entrance is free for European citizens under 18 and over 65. Visits can be organized for school groups, by prior booking. In occasion of the centenary of its institution (6 July 1902 - 6 July 2002), the museum has enlarged the selection of services it offers, in particular in the context of communications. Besides the already existing informative sources - the little free brochure and some important monographs - sixteen panels in four languages have been created in order to facilitate tours. Also in the context of services offered, it is worth remembering the system of audio-guides, that allow one to listen both inside and outside to useful information, without being tied to the itinerary.

Archaeological itinerary Set up by the Archaeological Superintendency for the Region of Veneto in collaboration with the Councils for Culture of the Province of Padua and the Municipality of Este, the Itinerary, six kilometres long, is entirely within the present town’s territory and can be covered on foot or by bicycle. Along the entire route sixteen numbered panels illustrate the excavations carried out in loco, the material discovered and the positions of the various zones in relation to the settlements of pre-Roman and Roman Este.

The deep cultural roots of Este are reflected in the strong attraction that this town has always had on poets, writers, artists and men of letters. Este keeps numberless evidences of the intense cultural activity which has been characterising this town for centuries, one has only to think of the troubadour poets who met at the court of Azzo VI d’Este in the XIII c., or at the artists and men of letters who gathered at the mansion of the Venetian nobleman Alvise Cornaro in the XVI c., at the great Romantic poets Byron and Shelley, who lived at Villa Kunkler, at the presence of Bruce Chatwin at Villa Albrizzi.

Ceramics of Este Este’s ceramics are unique in the world in terms of make, materials and workmanship, and today are still made by hand. Ceramics production has continued more or less without interruption from prehistoric times to our days, as attested by artefacts conserved in the National Museum of Este, that give examples of the various levels of evolution in taste and technique. After the pause during the Middle Ages, manufactory was launched again in the eighteenth century, after Europe had abandoned the ceramics makers in the Orient and turned to local manufacturers. In that period in Este there were already six perfectly operative manufactories that arose at the time of the discovery of the “secret” of oriental porcelain. In this respect, there is talk of a real “craftsmen’s flight” from the manufactory of Nove di Bassano, a diaspora that led to the diffusion of working methods and styles in many Italian and foreign towns, but that above all caused a few factories to excel in Este, like the Brunello manufactory, situated at the Girometta bridge, the Costa-Fabris one, located in Via Settabile, and the most important, the Franchini one with headquarters in Borgo Schiavin. Franchini was a goldsmith and engraver, and he decided to found his own factory of earthenware and porcelain, with the collaboration of Jean Pierre Varion, a very expert former: this association gave rise to a production of objects in ceramics of great artistic value. In the Museum of Este, for example, one can admire a “Christ” by Franchini; in the showcases of the museum there are even the original

eighteenth-century moulds found in the old factory, of which copies are used today to make bowls, vases and dishes. There are three ways of working with ceramics: with turner’s wheel, at the strainer, filling the moulds with liquid earth (this is a technique used for large objects), or else with presses. Once ready, the object goes into the oven to become a “biscuit”. When it has been cooked it is ready for decoration. All phases of work and decoration are carried out by hand, and for the decorations only natural colours or oxides are used. Among the decorations characteristic of ceramics from Este, fruit and vegetables prevail, as the most classical tradition requires. Once decorated, the object is placed in a tub containing glass powder; with this procedure, known by the name of “crystalline”, the decoration looks shiny and does not come off. At this point the object is ready for the second oven session, while a third is provided for exclusively for those objects that have decorations in gold or a bright red colour.

Main Ceramics Producers in Este: • Antica Ceramica d’Este - via Rovigo, 39 - Tel. 0429.3493 • Ceramica d’Este Arte Più via Vicenza, 1 - Baone - Tel. 0429.4258 • Ceramica Euganea viale dell’Industria, 13 - Tel. 0429.50352 • Ceramiche d’Arte Mary - via Galilei, 19 - Tel. 0429.601059 • Ceramiche Estensi - via Volta - Tel. 0429.4848 • Ceramiche Marcuzzo - via Monache, 5 - Tel. 0429.602601 • Este Ceramiche Porcellane via Sabina, 31 - Tel. 0429.2270 - 0429.3064 • Gastone Primon M° Scultore piazza Trento, 22 - Tel. 348.1993370 • Scuola Bottega della Ceramica di C. Padovan Viale Fiume, 55 - Tel. 347.1087090 • Porcellane L’Arte di B.B.M. via Volta, 16 - Tel. 0429.602030


ESTE 4ante ENG mod

19-12-2006

12:07

Pagina 5

Town Hall Overlooking piazza Maggiore, the Town Hall is an elegant building with loggias dating back to the XVII century, recently restored; the balcony above the portico is an eighteenth-century addition.

in 1717. The interior is in the form of a latin cross; among the works of art conserved here the canvas of "Sant'Antonio da Padova and Child and other Saints" by Zanchi and the valuable marble cornice of the miraculous icon are outstanding.

Palazzetto of the Scaligeri

Church of San Martino Attested since the XI century, the church of San Martino is the oldest in Este. The building has a simple and elegant structure, dating back to the fourteenth-century reconstruction and the successive one in the seventeenth century. It is basilica-based with a nave and two aisles.

On the south side of the square one can see the Palazzetto of the Scaligeri, where now the Reading-Room Society has its headquarters. In this fourteenth-century gothic building there is now a library containing fifty thousand volumes.

Prince’s palace Stronghold of Ponte di Torre The stronghold is what remains of the separate forts that, together with the castle and the battlemented walls, protected Este even before the epoch of Carrara. Structurally, it consists of a circle of walls and a square tower, 24 m high.

Church of Santa Maria delle Consolazioni or degli Zoccoli

The building rises on a hill; it was built for the Contarinis according to a plan by Vincenzo Scamozzi, who had it given a central base, with a Greek-cross hall. It owes its name to an episode from its history, that is, when Alvise Contarini, during a sojourn in the villa, received communication of his election as doge.

This sixteenth-century building has a single nave. Inside one can admire a Roman mosaic floor in the chapel of the Virgin.

Church of the Blessed Virgin of Health

Civic tower of the Porta Vecchia The present tower can be dated late-XVII century and rises on the spot of a previous gate. A clock was on it, as attested by the distribution of the rooms inside. At a height of eight metres there is a first room containing two blocks of trachyte, formerly used as counterweights for the clock; at a height of twelve metres there is the old room “of poles and attachments”. Finally, at a height of approx. twenty metres, we find the bell-cell, containing the support structure of the bronze bell forged in 1637.

Abbey Cathedral of Santa Tecla Erected on the ruins of a previous early Christian basilica, the Cathedral was rebuilt in the late-seventeenth and early-eighteenth centuries. Its interior is elliptical, with a large presbytery; there are many works of art, among which the "Intercession by Saint Tecla" by Giambattista Tiepolo stands out. Canvasses by the local painter Antonio Zanchi decorate the parsonage.

The construction of the church began in 1639 and was completed in 1640 because it had collapsed. The building, octagonal, is rich in paintings, commissioned to famous artists, among whom Antonio Zanchi, the author of three canvasses of great relevance: the Presentation of Mary at the Temple, the Nuptials of the Virgin and the Annunciation.

Basilica of Santa Maria delle Grazie The Sanctuary was built following testamentary dispositions by Taddeo d'Este, who had a fifteenthcentury Byzantine icon placed there that was considered miraculous. On top of the first, modest fifteenth-century building, a second one was built

The National Museum of Este The first collection of epigraphs, from Roman times, was assembled by the nobleman Giorgio Contarini in the early seventeenth century; this first collection was gradually enriched with material from tomb furnishings discovered in Este in the second half of the nineteenth century. The nucleus of today’s Museum of Este is owed however to Vincenzo Fracanzani, magistrate of Este, who in 1834 decided to institute a collection initially called Civic Lapidary Museum, at first located in the church of St. Francis, adjacent to the Oratory of Saint Mary. This location proved to be inadequate and the State instituted the National Museum (decree of 1 April

1887) and transferred it to Palazzo Mocenigo. The museum, was restructured in the early eighties and was opened again to the public in 1984. The tour winds through eleven halls starting on the first floor. Below are briefly illustrated the most interesting itineraries both in the pre-Roman section (halls I-V) and in the Roman one (halls VI-X). In the first hall artefacts are assembled ranging from the Eneolithic Age (III millennium BC) to the Bronze Age and the very beginning of the Iron Age (IX century BC). There are remarkable artefacts in stone and ceramics as well as many clay vases in various forms made of a reddish mixture. The second hall is devoted to the villages of the Iron Age, pertaining to the town and its territory; there are collections of fibulas in bronze and semi-worked iron, tools for weaving, earthen vases. There are a great many examples of kitchen and eating pottery in this hall. In the third hall, devoted to the ancient burial cults, artefacts are assembled relating to the principal necropolises in Este in the IX-III centuries BC. The itinerary winds through about seventy tomb furnishings. The most valuable object here is the bronze statue “Benvenuti”, dating back to approximately 600BC; it is a cup in beaten and chiselled bronze featuring

zoomorphic figures and scenes from daily life. The fourth hall collects the ex-votives from Este’s places of cult, the most important of which lay along the course of the Adige and was devoted to the goddess Reitia, a healing divinity. The fifth hall exhibits the most recent pre-Roman finds in Veneto. In the sixth hall, the first of the Roman section, Romanization of the territory is documented through the collection of archaeological, epigraphic and linguistic documents. Besides this, there are beautiful tomb furnishings with elegant silver jewels and a large amount of grey ceramics. The material in the seventh halls consists mainly of public inscriptions naming the people covering determined positions. The eighth hall is devoted to the necropolises, and burial monuments are presented divided by type (inhumation or incineration) and form (altars, niches, slabs, sarcophagi, etc.). In the ninth and tenth halls the objects exhibited are linked to domestic and economic activities, and there are also jewels and objects for personal hygiene and beauty. The museum tour ends in the twelfth hall, where the objects exhibited are from much more recent epochs, early Middle Ages, Middle Ages and Renaissance, and they come from demolished buildings.

Visiting hours, didactical material and public services The museum is open daily 9am-8pm. Entrance is free for European citizens under 18 and over 65. Visits can be organized for school groups, by prior booking. In occasion of the centenary of its institution (6 July 1902 - 6 July 2002), the museum has enlarged the selection of services it offers, in particular in the context of communications. Besides the already existing informative sources - the little free brochure and some important monographs - sixteen panels in four languages have been created in order to facilitate tours. Also in the context of services offered, it is worth remembering the system of audio-guides, that allow one to listen both inside and outside to useful information, without being tied to the itinerary.

Archaeological itinerary Set up by the Archaeological Superintendency for the Region of Veneto in collaboration with the Councils for Culture of the Province of Padua and the Municipality of Este, the Itinerary, six kilometres long, is entirely within the present town’s territory and can be covered on foot or by bicycle. Along the entire route sixteen numbered panels illustrate the excavations carried out in loco, the material discovered and the positions of the various zones in relation to the settlements of pre-Roman and Roman Este.

The deep cultural roots of Este are reflected in the strong attraction that this town has always had on poets, writers, artists and men of letters. Este keeps numberless evidences of the intense cultural activity which has been characterising this town for centuries, one has only to think of the troubadour poets who met at the court of Azzo VI d’Este in the XIII c., or at the artists and men of letters who gathered at the mansion of the Venetian nobleman Alvise Cornaro in the XVI c., at the great Romantic poets Byron and Shelley, who lived at Villa Kunkler, at the presence of Bruce Chatwin at Villa Albrizzi.

Ceramics of Este Este’s ceramics are unique in the world in terms of make, materials and workmanship, and today are still made by hand. Ceramics production has continued more or less without interruption from prehistoric times to our days, as attested by artefacts conserved in the National Museum of Este, that give examples of the various levels of evolution in taste and technique. After the pause during the Middle Ages, manufactory was launched again in the eighteenth century, after Europe had abandoned the ceramics makers in the Orient and turned to local manufacturers. In that period in Este there were already six perfectly operative manufactories that arose at the time of the discovery of the “secret” of oriental porcelain. In this respect, there is talk of a real “craftsmen’s flight” from the manufactory of Nove di Bassano, a diaspora that led to the diffusion of working methods and styles in many Italian and foreign towns, but that above all caused a few factories to excel in Este, like the Brunello manufactory, situated at the Girometta bridge, the Costa-Fabris one, located in Via Settabile, and the most important, the Franchini one with headquarters in Borgo Schiavin. Franchini was a goldsmith and engraver, and he decided to found his own factory of earthenware and porcelain, with the collaboration of Jean Pierre Varion, a very expert former: this association gave rise to a production of objects in ceramics of great artistic value. In the Museum of Este, for example, one can admire a “Christ” by Franchini; in the showcases of the museum there are even the original

eighteenth-century moulds found in the old factory, of which copies are used today to make bowls, vases and dishes. There are three ways of working with ceramics: with turner’s wheel, at the strainer, filling the moulds with liquid earth (this is a technique used for large objects), or else with presses. Once ready, the object goes into the oven to become a “biscuit”. When it has been cooked it is ready for decoration. All phases of work and decoration are carried out by hand, and for the decorations only natural colours or oxides are used. Among the decorations characteristic of ceramics from Este, fruit and vegetables prevail, as the most classical tradition requires. Once decorated, the object is placed in a tub containing glass powder; with this procedure, known by the name of “crystalline”, the decoration looks shiny and does not come off. At this point the object is ready for the second oven session, while a third is provided for exclusively for those objects that have decorations in gold or a bright red colour.

Main Ceramics Producers in Este: • Antica Ceramica d’Este - via Rovigo, 39 - Tel. 0429.3493 • Ceramica d’Este Arte Più via Vicenza, 1 - Baone - Tel. 0429.4258 • Ceramica Euganea viale dell’Industria, 13 - Tel. 0429.50352 • Ceramiche d’Arte Mary - via Galilei, 19 - Tel. 0429.601059 • Ceramiche Estensi - via Volta - Tel. 0429.4848 • Ceramiche Marcuzzo - via Monache, 5 - Tel. 0429.602601 • Este Ceramiche Porcellane via Sabina, 31 - Tel. 0429.2270 - 0429.3064 • Gastone Primon M° Scultore piazza Trento, 22 - Tel. 348.1993370 • Scuola Bottega della Ceramica di C. Padovan Viale Fiume, 55 - Tel. 347.1087090 • Porcellane L’Arte di B.B.M. via Volta, 16 - Tel. 0429.602030


ESTE 4ante ENG mod

19-12-2006

12:07

Pagina 5

Town Hall Overlooking piazza Maggiore, the Town Hall is an elegant building with loggias dating back to the XVII century, recently restored; the balcony above the portico is an eighteenth-century addition.

in 1717. The interior is in the form of a latin cross; among the works of art conserved here the canvas of "Sant'Antonio da Padova and Child and other Saints" by Zanchi and the valuable marble cornice of the miraculous icon are outstanding.

Palazzetto of the Scaligeri

Church of San Martino Attested since the XI century, the church of San Martino is the oldest in Este. The building has a simple and elegant structure, dating back to the fourteenth-century reconstruction and the successive one in the seventeenth century. It is basilica-based with a nave and two aisles.

On the south side of the square one can see the Palazzetto of the Scaligeri, where now the Reading-Room Society has its headquarters. In this fourteenth-century gothic building there is now a library containing fifty thousand volumes.

Prince’s palace Stronghold of Ponte di Torre The stronghold is what remains of the separate forts that, together with the castle and the battlemented walls, protected Este even before the epoch of Carrara. Structurally, it consists of a circle of walls and a square tower, 24 m high.

Church of Santa Maria delle Consolazioni or degli Zoccoli

The building rises on a hill; it was built for the Contarinis according to a plan by Vincenzo Scamozzi, who had it given a central base, with a Greek-cross hall. It owes its name to an episode from its history, that is, when Alvise Contarini, during a sojourn in the villa, received communication of his election as doge.

This sixteenth-century building has a single nave. Inside one can admire a Roman mosaic floor in the chapel of the Virgin.

Church of the Blessed Virgin of Health

Civic tower of the Porta Vecchia The present tower can be dated late-XVII century and rises on the spot of a previous gate. A clock was on it, as attested by the distribution of the rooms inside. At a height of eight metres there is a first room containing two blocks of trachyte, formerly used as counterweights for the clock; at a height of twelve metres there is the old room “of poles and attachments”. Finally, at a height of approx. twenty metres, we find the bell-cell, containing the support structure of the bronze bell forged in 1637.

Abbey Cathedral of Santa Tecla Erected on the ruins of a previous early Christian basilica, the Cathedral was rebuilt in the late-seventeenth and early-eighteenth centuries. Its interior is elliptical, with a large presbytery; there are many works of art, among which the "Intercession by Saint Tecla" by Giambattista Tiepolo stands out. Canvasses by the local painter Antonio Zanchi decorate the parsonage.

The construction of the church began in 1639 and was completed in 1640 because it had collapsed. The building, octagonal, is rich in paintings, commissioned to famous artists, among whom Antonio Zanchi, the author of three canvasses of great relevance: the Presentation of Mary at the Temple, the Nuptials of the Virgin and the Annunciation.

Basilica of Santa Maria delle Grazie The Sanctuary was built following testamentary dispositions by Taddeo d'Este, who had a fifteenthcentury Byzantine icon placed there that was considered miraculous. On top of the first, modest fifteenth-century building, a second one was built

The National Museum of Este The first collection of epigraphs, from Roman times, was assembled by the nobleman Giorgio Contarini in the early seventeenth century; this first collection was gradually enriched with material from tomb furnishings discovered in Este in the second half of the nineteenth century. The nucleus of today’s Museum of Este is owed however to Vincenzo Fracanzani, magistrate of Este, who in 1834 decided to institute a collection initially called Civic Lapidary Museum, at first located in the church of St. Francis, adjacent to the Oratory of Saint Mary. This location proved to be inadequate and the State instituted the National Museum (decree of 1 April

1887) and transferred it to Palazzo Mocenigo. The museum, was restructured in the early eighties and was opened again to the public in 1984. The tour winds through eleven halls starting on the first floor. Below are briefly illustrated the most interesting itineraries both in the pre-Roman section (halls I-V) and in the Roman one (halls VI-X). In the first hall artefacts are assembled ranging from the Eneolithic Age (III millennium BC) to the Bronze Age and the very beginning of the Iron Age (IX century BC). There are remarkable artefacts in stone and ceramics as well as many clay vases in various forms made of a reddish mixture. The second hall is devoted to the villages of the Iron Age, pertaining to the town and its territory; there are collections of fibulas in bronze and semi-worked iron, tools for weaving, earthen vases. There are a great many examples of kitchen and eating pottery in this hall. In the third hall, devoted to the ancient burial cults, artefacts are assembled relating to the principal necropolises in Este in the IX-III centuries BC. The itinerary winds through about seventy tomb furnishings. The most valuable object here is the bronze statue “Benvenuti”, dating back to approximately 600BC; it is a cup in beaten and chiselled bronze featuring

zoomorphic figures and scenes from daily life. The fourth hall collects the ex-votives from Este’s places of cult, the most important of which lay along the course of the Adige and was devoted to the goddess Reitia, a healing divinity. The fifth hall exhibits the most recent pre-Roman finds in Veneto. In the sixth hall, the first of the Roman section, Romanization of the territory is documented through the collection of archaeological, epigraphic and linguistic documents. Besides this, there are beautiful tomb furnishings with elegant silver jewels and a large amount of grey ceramics. The material in the seventh halls consists mainly of public inscriptions naming the people covering determined positions. The eighth hall is devoted to the necropolises, and burial monuments are presented divided by type (inhumation or incineration) and form (altars, niches, slabs, sarcophagi, etc.). In the ninth and tenth halls the objects exhibited are linked to domestic and economic activities, and there are also jewels and objects for personal hygiene and beauty. The museum tour ends in the twelfth hall, where the objects exhibited are from much more recent epochs, early Middle Ages, Middle Ages and Renaissance, and they come from demolished buildings.

Visiting hours, didactical material and public services The museum is open daily 9am-8pm. Entrance is free for European citizens under 18 and over 65. Visits can be organized for school groups, by prior booking. In occasion of the centenary of its institution (6 July 1902 - 6 July 2002), the museum has enlarged the selection of services it offers, in particular in the context of communications. Besides the already existing informative sources - the little free brochure and some important monographs - sixteen panels in four languages have been created in order to facilitate tours. Also in the context of services offered, it is worth remembering the system of audio-guides, that allow one to listen both inside and outside to useful information, without being tied to the itinerary.

Archaeological itinerary Set up by the Archaeological Superintendency for the Region of Veneto in collaboration with the Councils for Culture of the Province of Padua and the Municipality of Este, the Itinerary, six kilometres long, is entirely within the present town’s territory and can be covered on foot or by bicycle. Along the entire route sixteen numbered panels illustrate the excavations carried out in loco, the material discovered and the positions of the various zones in relation to the settlements of pre-Roman and Roman Este.

The deep cultural roots of Este are reflected in the strong attraction that this town has always had on poets, writers, artists and men of letters. Este keeps numberless evidences of the intense cultural activity which has been characterising this town for centuries, one has only to think of the troubadour poets who met at the court of Azzo VI d’Este in the XIII c., or at the artists and men of letters who gathered at the mansion of the Venetian nobleman Alvise Cornaro in the XVI c., at the great Romantic poets Byron and Shelley, who lived at Villa Kunkler, at the presence of Bruce Chatwin at Villa Albrizzi.

Ceramics of Este Este’s ceramics are unique in the world in terms of make, materials and workmanship, and today are still made by hand. Ceramics production has continued more or less without interruption from prehistoric times to our days, as attested by artefacts conserved in the National Museum of Este, that give examples of the various levels of evolution in taste and technique. After the pause during the Middle Ages, manufactory was launched again in the eighteenth century, after Europe had abandoned the ceramics makers in the Orient and turned to local manufacturers. In that period in Este there were already six perfectly operative manufactories that arose at the time of the discovery of the “secret” of oriental porcelain. In this respect, there is talk of a real “craftsmen’s flight” from the manufactory of Nove di Bassano, a diaspora that led to the diffusion of working methods and styles in many Italian and foreign towns, but that above all caused a few factories to excel in Este, like the Brunello manufactory, situated at the Girometta bridge, the Costa-Fabris one, located in Via Settabile, and the most important, the Franchini one with headquarters in Borgo Schiavin. Franchini was a goldsmith and engraver, and he decided to found his own factory of earthenware and porcelain, with the collaboration of Jean Pierre Varion, a very expert former: this association gave rise to a production of objects in ceramics of great artistic value. In the Museum of Este, for example, one can admire a “Christ” by Franchini; in the showcases of the museum there are even the original

eighteenth-century moulds found in the old factory, of which copies are used today to make bowls, vases and dishes. There are three ways of working with ceramics: with turner’s wheel, at the strainer, filling the moulds with liquid earth (this is a technique used for large objects), or else with presses. Once ready, the object goes into the oven to become a “biscuit”. When it has been cooked it is ready for decoration. All phases of work and decoration are carried out by hand, and for the decorations only natural colours or oxides are used. Among the decorations characteristic of ceramics from Este, fruit and vegetables prevail, as the most classical tradition requires. Once decorated, the object is placed in a tub containing glass powder; with this procedure, known by the name of “crystalline”, the decoration looks shiny and does not come off. At this point the object is ready for the second oven session, while a third is provided for exclusively for those objects that have decorations in gold or a bright red colour.

Main Ceramics Producers in Este: • Antica Ceramica d’Este - via Rovigo, 39 - Tel. 0429.3493 • Ceramica d’Este Arte Più via Vicenza, 1 - Baone - Tel. 0429.4258 • Ceramica Euganea viale dell’Industria, 13 - Tel. 0429.50352 • Ceramiche d’Arte Mary - via Galilei, 19 - Tel. 0429.601059 • Ceramiche Estensi - via Volta - Tel. 0429.4848 • Ceramiche Marcuzzo - via Monache, 5 - Tel. 0429.602601 • Este Ceramiche Porcellane via Sabina, 31 - Tel. 0429.2270 - 0429.3064 • Gastone Primon M° Scultore piazza Trento, 22 - Tel. 348.1993370 • Scuola Bottega della Ceramica di C. Padovan Viale Fiume, 55 - Tel. 347.1087090 • Porcellane L’Arte di B.B.M. via Volta, 16 - Tel. 0429.602030


12:06

Pagina 1

The Castle The present building dates back to the fifth decade of the XIV century and was erected by Ubertino da Carrara on the ruins of the previous fortification, destroyed in 1249 by the troops of Ezzelino da Romano. The oldest nucleus, dating back to the period of the great invasions, consists of a circle of walls with a little church and a large central building. Starting from the XI century the original structure was incorporated within a series of walls and residential buildings until, towards the mid-XIII century, the marquis of Este restored the castle as a defence structure. The construction has a square base, surrounded by a sturdy wall spaced by twelve little towers. The keep is on the hill, in a position of dominance over the entire town; it culminates in a square tower and has a small castle or Fort of Assistance to the north-east, that originally constituted the entrance to the fortress. The area within the walls is now equipped

A town with very remote origins

Realized with the contribution of

MUSEO NAZIONALE ATESTINO Via G. Negri, 9/c - tel. 39+0429.2085 Opening time: from 09.00 a.m till 08.00 p.m. yearly open (closed on Christmas, January 1st and May 1st)

Este, a town with very remote origins, rises in the province of Padua in the southern area of the Euganei Hills. It is 30 km from Padua, 60 from Venice and Bologna and only 8 from the municipality of Monselice, and can be reached by way of the A13, taking the Monselice exit, or else the S.S. road n. 16 Padua-Rovigo and S.R. n. 10 Padana Inferiore. The town of Este owes its toponym to the river Adige, Athesis for the Romans, that flowed through this territory until 589, when the famous break mentioned by Paolo Diacono moved its course a few kilometres to the south. Romanization of Veneto was a peaceful process: the Veneti allied themselves with the Romans against the Gauls, and obtained the status of Roman colonia. Este managed to maintain administrative autonomy until the end of the Republican Age, but the political centralization during the Imperial Age did not allow for maintenance of former magistracies. After the fall of the Roman Empire, the town of Este suffered a disastrous attack by the troops of Attila, and was reduced to a simple country village. After the tenth century, the town arose again grouped around the castle of its feudal lord Azzo, later Azzo II d’Este. The Lords of Este, after having obtained the title of

CASTLE’S PUBLIC GARDENS Via G. Negri - Free entrance Summer opening time (April 1st - September 30th): from 08.00 a.m. till 11.00 p.m. Winter opening time (October 1st - March 31st): from 09.00 a.m till 05.00 p.m.

DUOMO ABBAZIALE DI S. TECLA Piazza S. Tecla - tel. 39+0429.2009 Opening time: from 10.00 till 12.00 a.m. and from 04.00 till 06.00 p.m.

How to reach Este:

BASILICA DI S. MARIA DELLE GRAZIE

TREVISO AIRPORT

Via Principe Umberto, 55 - tel. 39+0429.2151 Opening time: from 10.00 till 12.00 a.m. and from 04.00 till 06.00 p.m.

MOTORWAY EXITS

Useful numbers:

TOWNS

Town Hall: tel. 39+0429.617511 Local Police: tel. 39+0429.2688 Tourist Office: tel. 39+0429.600462 Civic Library: tel. 39+0429.619044

EUGANEAN HILLS VENEZIA AIRPORT

Information: as a public garden. The Castle was used for defence purposes until the town’s spontaneous surrender to the Republic of Venice, when the entire structure was sold to the Mocenigo family: they were the ones who had the Palazzetto built in the late sixteenth-century, where the National Museum of Este is now located.

IAT Este Via Guido Negri, 9/a Tel.: 39+0429.600462 Fax: 39+0429.611105 www.comune.este.pd.it e-mail: iateste@virgilio.it

DIRECTION MILANO

MOTO RWAY A4

E

DIRECTION TRIESTE A4 RWAY MOTO

VERONA AIRPORT

Main events: • 3rd Sunday of each month: Antiques and Second-hand market • Wednesdays and saturdays: Weekly market • April: Este in Fiore - Exhibition-market of flowers • April: At the Court of the Estensi Historic medieval re-enactment • May: Atestiadi - Sports festival • Late May-Early June: Este Fair. • Summer: Shows and Events • September: International Chamber Music Festival • October: European Festival European Cities in Este • December: Christmas Exhibition Market

ste.

DIRECTION BOLOGNA

Riviera dei Mugnai, 8 35137 Padova Tel. +39 049 8767911 Fax +39 049 650794 www.turismopadova.it www.turismotermeeuganee.it

Provincia di Padova

Comune di Este

Parco Regionale dei Colli Euganei

© Foto: Renato Tuzza - Este.

Regione del Veneto

Dicembre 2006

19-12-2006

MOTORWAY A13

ESTE 4ante ENG mod

A town with very remote origins

marquis, began one of the principal Italian dynasties and moved their capital to Ferrara (1239). Conquered twice by Ezzelino da Romano, who had the Castle destroyed (1238 and 1249), in the XIV century Este was disputed by the Scaligeri, the Carraresi and the Visconti until it surrendered spontaneously to Venice in 1405, when a long period of peace began. During the Venetian domination the town went through a period of economic wealth and demographic growth, unfortunately interrupted by the dramatic plague epidemic in 1630. The administrative reorganization ordered by Napoleon and the affirmation of a middle class gave new impulse to the municipality, and initiatives of remarkable interest were promoted, such as the setting up of the National Museum of Este and the opening of public schools. Este’s development continued even after it was annexed to the Kingdom of Italy in 1866.


12:06

Pagina 1

The Castle The present building dates back to the fifth decade of the XIV century and was erected by Ubertino da Carrara on the ruins of the previous fortification, destroyed in 1249 by the troops of Ezzelino da Romano. The oldest nucleus, dating back to the period of the great invasions, consists of a circle of walls with a little church and a large central building. Starting from the XI century the original structure was incorporated within a series of walls and residential buildings until, towards the mid-XIII century, the marquis of Este restored the castle as a defence structure. The construction has a square base, surrounded by a sturdy wall spaced by twelve little towers. The keep is on the hill, in a position of dominance over the entire town; it culminates in a square tower and has a small castle or Fort of Assistance to the north-east, that originally constituted the entrance to the fortress. The area within the walls is now equipped

A town with very remote origins

Realized with the contribution of

MUSEO NAZIONALE ATESTINO Via G. Negri, 9/c - tel. 39+0429.2085 Opening time: from 09.00 a.m till 08.00 p.m. yearly open (closed on Christmas, January 1st and May 1st)

Este, a town with very remote origins, rises in the province of Padua in the southern area of the Euganei Hills. It is 30 km from Padua, 60 from Venice and Bologna and only 8 from the municipality of Monselice, and can be reached by way of the A13, taking the Monselice exit, or else the S.S. road n. 16 Padua-Rovigo and S.R. n. 10 Padana Inferiore. The town of Este owes its toponym to the river Adige, Athesis for the Romans, that flowed through this territory until 589, when the famous break mentioned by Paolo Diacono moved its course a few kilometres to the south. Romanization of Veneto was a peaceful process: the Veneti allied themselves with the Romans against the Gauls, and obtained the status of Roman colonia. Este managed to maintain administrative autonomy until the end of the Republican Age, but the political centralization during the Imperial Age did not allow for maintenance of former magistracies. After the fall of the Roman Empire, the town of Este suffered a disastrous attack by the troops of Attila, and was reduced to a simple country village. After the tenth century, the town arose again grouped around the castle of its feudal lord Azzo, later Azzo II d’Este. The Lords of Este, after having obtained the title of

CASTLE’S PUBLIC GARDENS Via G. Negri - Free entrance Summer opening time (April 1st - September 30th): from 08.00 a.m. till 11.00 p.m. Winter opening time (October 1st - March 31st): from 09.00 a.m till 05.00 p.m.

DUOMO ABBAZIALE DI S. TECLA Piazza S. Tecla - tel. 39+0429.2009 Opening time: from 10.00 till 12.00 a.m. and from 04.00 till 06.00 p.m.

How to reach Este:

BASILICA DI S. MARIA DELLE GRAZIE

TREVISO AIRPORT

Via Principe Umberto, 55 - tel. 39+0429.2151 Opening time: from 10.00 till 12.00 a.m. and from 04.00 till 06.00 p.m.

MOTORWAY EXITS

Useful numbers:

TOWNS

Town Hall: tel. 39+0429.617511 Local Police: tel. 39+0429.2688 Tourist Office: tel. 39+0429.600462 Civic Library: tel. 39+0429.619044

EUGANEAN HILLS VENEZIA AIRPORT

Information: as a public garden. The Castle was used for defence purposes until the town’s spontaneous surrender to the Republic of Venice, when the entire structure was sold to the Mocenigo family: they were the ones who had the Palazzetto built in the late sixteenth-century, where the National Museum of Este is now located.

IAT Este Via Guido Negri, 9/a Tel.: 39+0429.600462 Fax: 39+0429.611105 www.comune.este.pd.it e-mail: iateste@virgilio.it

DIRECTION MILANO

MOTO RWAY A4

E

DIRECTION TRIESTE A4 RWAY MOTO

VERONA AIRPORT

Main events: • 3rd Sunday of each month: Antiques and Second-hand market • Wednesdays and saturdays: Weekly market • April: Este in Fiore - Exhibition-market of flowers • April: At the Court of the Estensi Historic medieval re-enactment • May: Atestiadi - Sports festival • Late May-Early June: Este Fair. • Summer: Shows and Events • September: International Chamber Music Festival • October: European Festival European Cities in Este • December: Christmas Exhibition Market

ste.

DIRECTION BOLOGNA

Riviera dei Mugnai, 8 35137 Padova Tel. +39 049 8767911 Fax +39 049 650794 www.turismopadova.it www.turismotermeeuganee.it

Provincia di Padova

Comune di Este

Parco Regionale dei Colli Euganei

© Foto: Renato Tuzza - Este.

Regione del Veneto

Dicembre 2006

19-12-2006

MOTORWAY A13

ESTE 4ante ENG mod

A town with very remote origins

marquis, began one of the principal Italian dynasties and moved their capital to Ferrara (1239). Conquered twice by Ezzelino da Romano, who had the Castle destroyed (1238 and 1249), in the XIV century Este was disputed by the Scaligeri, the Carraresi and the Visconti until it surrendered spontaneously to Venice in 1405, when a long period of peace began. During the Venetian domination the town went through a period of economic wealth and demographic growth, unfortunately interrupted by the dramatic plague epidemic in 1630. The administrative reorganization ordered by Napoleon and the affirmation of a middle class gave new impulse to the municipality, and initiatives of remarkable interest were promoted, such as the setting up of the National Museum of Este and the opening of public schools. Este’s development continued even after it was annexed to the Kingdom of Italy in 1866.

Profile for Padova Convention & Visitors Bureau

esteGB  

ste. A town with very remote origins

esteGB  

ste. A town with very remote origins

Advertisement