EUROPE FOR CITIZENS
URBAN RECOVERY 17-17 Hódmezővásárhely
EDITED BY JÁNOS PALOTÁS GÁBOR PALOTÁS FOUNDATION OF KNOWLEDGE HÓDMEZŐVÁSÁRHELY
URBAN RECOVERY 17-17 FIRST PART OF ROTHERMERE STREET 6 FIRST PART OF ANDRÁSSY STREET 10 INNER TOWN - ANDRÁSSY STREET 14 SUMMER SMALL THEATRE 22 TÁRKÁNY SZŰCS PALACE 26 TWO CLOISTERS 28 FOLKBANK OF HÓDMEZŐVÁSÁRHELY 32 HOTEL BLACK EAGLE GIRL WITH A PITCHER 34 40 OLD CALVINIST CHURCH 44 SAINT STEPHAN’S CHURCH 48 NEW CALVINIST CHURCH 52 TOWN HALL 58 CENTRAL HOTEL 62 NEW TOWN OPEN AIR BATH GÁBOR BETHLEN CALVINIST GRAMMAR SCHOOL BANDULA TRADING ERZSÉBET HOSPITAL TRAM TRAIN MAP INTRODUCTION TO THE PROJECT
HÓDMEZŐVÁSÁRHELY HUNGARY Edited by: János Palotás Gábor Palotás (Founda on of Knowledge, Hódmezővásárhely) Photos: Gábor Palotás
66 70 72 74 76 78
Coat of arms of Hรณdmezล vรกsรกrhely 5
FIRST PART OF ROTHERMERE STREET (1918-1939)
FIRST PART OF DR. A. RAPCSÁK STREET (2013 & 2018)
Rothermere street (formerly Szentesi street, then József Ferenc boulevard) in the 30’s and later in 2013 and 2018. After 1945 it got the name János Szántó Kovács, today it is Dr. András Rapcsák street. Road No. 45 (Hódmezővásárhely-Szentes) used to go across the town centre. In 2012 Dr. András Rapcsák street was closed from public transport and it has been a pedestrian street since then.
emperor, King of Hungary and Bohemia, the first ruler of the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy (1867-1916). János Szántó Kovács (1852-1908): pick and shovel man, outstanding figure of the agro-socialist movement in Hódmezővásárhely. Dr. András Rapcsák (1943-2002): mayor (1990-2002) and MP (1994-2002) of Hódmezővásár-hely.
Sources: Explanation to the street-names: •
Lord Rothermere - Harold Sidney Harmsworth (1868-1940): supported the revision of the Trianon Treaty between the two world wars. Szentesi street: inner part of the main road No. 45 between Hódmezővásárhely and Szentes. József Ferenc I. (1830-1916): Austrian
Egykor.hu: Rothermere utca Oszk.hu: Hódmezővásárhely - Rothermere utca Vatera.hu: Hódmezővásárhely - Rothermere utca
• • •
FIRST PART OF ANDRÁSSY STREET (1918-1939)
FIRST PART OF ANDRÁSSY STREET (2013 & 2018)
Lajos Beregi businessman built his livingand business house at the corner of the former Main square (today Kossuth square) and Main street (today Andrássy street). His textile trading called Kék csillag (Blue Star), as well as the printing press and bookshop of Adolf Grossman used to be in it. Between 1927 and 1944 the building also housed the chemist’s shop of Miklós Vadász. Between the two world wars the building was known as Beregi palace or Vadász palace. The building by now being in bad state was pulled down in 1978. A living- and business house designed by István Novák architect, awarded with Ybl prize, was built. On the ground floor the local branch of OTP can be found.
Sources: • •
Explanation to the street-names: •
intellectual leader of the Revolution and War of Independence of 1848-49, financial minister of Batthyány government, president of Committee of Defense, governor of Hungary after the dethronement of the Habsburg dynasty. Gyula Andrássy (1923-1890): politician, Prime Minister of the Hungarian Monarchy (1867-1871), Foreign Minister of the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy (18711879).
Lajos Kossuth (1802-1894): politician,
Vásárhely24.com: Egy kis képes vásárhelyi időutazás Egykor.hu: Andrássy utca eleje
INNER TOWN - ANDRÁSSY STREET (1918-1939)
The former Main street was named after Gyula Andrássy later on. During the communist regime first it had the name of Stalin and later on that of Lenin. After 1990 it got back its former name: today it is Andrássy street. In the photos the inner town (Kossuth square and the first part of Andrássy street) can be seen with its important public buildings, living- and business houses, Hotel Black Eagle and the Holy Trinity catholic church, etc.
tionist, secretary general of the Central Committee of the SCP (Soviet Communist Party) (1922-1934, later secretary (1934-1953), prime minister from 1941, marshal of the Soviet Union, Commander-in-Chief from 1943. V. I. Lenin (1870-1924) communist revolutionist, first leader of the Soviet Union, president of the Council of Commissars (1917-1924).
Sources: In the photos taken in 2018 road construction, excavation spoil the look of the town, which is due to the execution of tram-train (further information about tram-train on page 74). Explanation to the street-names: • •
• • • • • • •
Gyula Andrássy: see page 13. J. V. Stalin (1878-1953): Soviet revolu-
Oszk.hu: Belváros - Andrássy utca Oszk.hu: Andrássy utca Oszk.hu: Andrássy utca részlet Oszk.hu: Andrássy ucca Oszk.hu: Andrássy ucca Oszk.hu: Andrássy utca Régiképeslapok.eoldal.hu: Singer Ferenc üzlete
INNER TOWN - ANDRÁSSY STREET (2018)
SUMMER SMALL THEATRE (1918-1939)
SUMMER SMALL THEATRE (2018)
The wooden building of the summer small theatre was inaugurated on 15th June 1898 (designer: Viktor Kolbenheyer, architect from Budapest, executor: Bálint Budai, master-builder from Szentes). On 1st August Mari Jászai (1850-1926) also played there in one of the opening programs. In 1926 the idea of building a theatre made of stones occurred, but it failed due to financial causes. The theatre was open until 1948 and finally it was demolished in 1950.
In 1991 a monument was erected at the place of the former theatre, which is the work of Győző Szatyor (1947-), industrial artist. Sources: • • •
In 1945-46 several actors and actresses with national fame appeared as guest-artists in the theatre: Artur Somlay (1883-1951), Hilda Gobbi (1913-1988), Árpád Lahotay (18901953). Ferenc Bessenyei (1919-2005), Katalin Gombos (1929-2012), Noémi Apor (19182005), Lívia Hajnóczy (1913-2003).
Egykor.hu: Nyári Színkör Oszk.hu: Színkör Vásárhely24.com: Egy kis képes vásárhelyi időutazás
TÁRKÁNY SZŰCS PALACE (1918-1939)
TÁRKÁNY SZŰCS PALACE (2018)
The building standing on the corner of Dr. András Rapcsák street and Lázár street got its name from Dr. Ernő Tárkány Szűcs, lawyer, whose flat was upstairs. On the ground floor of the building constructed in 192930 there were shops and between 19361944 the editorial, publishing offices and the printing press of the daily with the title Népújság (Folknews) could be found. After the nationalization of the building it became the office of the Centre of State Farms. Later the Hungarian Insurance Company worked there with flats upstairs. Today the real estate office of OTP and the insurance office of HODIX Ltd. can be found on the ground floor. In 1994 a relief and a memorial tablet (the work of Péter Erdős) was placed with the following inscription:
„Dr. Ernő Tárkány Szűcs, lawyer had this house built in 1929/30. His son, Dr. Ernő Tárkány Szűcs, nominal university professor, doctor of history/ethnography, ethnographic scientist with international fame used to live and work there until 1949.” The building was renovated in 1988 by its owner of that period, Székkutas és Vidéke Takarékszövetkezet (Székkutas and Surrounding Savings Bank). In 2010 the building got a new tin-roof. Sources: • • •
Oszk.hu: Belvásros - Szentesi utca Vásárhely24.com: Egy kis képes vásárhelyi időutazás Délmagyar.hu: Megszépült a palota Vásárhelyen
TWO CLOISTERS (1918-1939)
USZ FACULTY OF AGRICULTURE (2018)
The financial background of the construction of the “old cloister” was established by the 40,000 Ft foundation of Konstantin Schuster, bishop of Vác and further donations. The building was finished in 1903 according to the design of Péter Kruzslicz, local architect, the execution done by Mihály Szabó and Pál Koncz. On 8th September education was started in it by Dominican sisters.
In 1948 the school was nationalized and later the holy order dissolved. After all this the buildings were set to serve agricultural training. In our days the Faculty of Agriculture of the Szeged University is housed in it. In 1968 a modern, three-floored education building was erected in the place of the ground-floored building between the old and the new cloister. Sources:
In order to satisfy the increased educational demands, the “new cloister” was built in 1928 (under the supervision of Mihály Kruzslicz, master-builder and Sándor Szabó, architect).
• • •
In the two cloisters elementary, primary and higher elementary, from1941 on agricultural and domestic schools for girls used to work.
Oszk.hu: A két zárda épülete Vásárhely24.com: Egy kis képes vásárhelyi időutazás Hódmezővásárhelyi plébániák: Domonkos nővérek
FOLKBANK IN HÓDMEZŐVSÁRHELY (1918-1939)
The building standing at 9 Andrássy street was built by the Konstantin brothers in 1869/70. In 1929 the Folk bank, which was founded by the Folkbank of Hódmezővásárhely bought it from Dr. Antal Erdey, lawyer.
days got protection as a monument from the Home Office in 2013. Sources: •
On the ground floor the chemist1s shop of Kristó family was working. The family as well as the history of the family until the 40’ (as well as intellectuals of Hódmezővásárhely) used to serve as the base of the plot of Eszter Égető written by László Németh. It is interesting to mention that the writer spent his first winter in 1945/46, while being a teacher in Gábor Bethlen Calvinist School, here, in the offcial residence above the chemist’s shop. The building functioning as a living-house and being in a very bad condition in our
Vásárhely24.com: Egy kis képes vásárhelyi időutazás Sulinet.hu: Hódmezővásárhely története Délmagyar.hu: Négy épület lett műemlék Hódmezővásárhelyen
LIVING AND BUSINESS HOUSE (2018)
HOTEL BLACK EAGLE - GIRL WITH A PITCHER (1918-1939)
HOTEL BLACK EAGLE - GIRL WITH A PITCHER (2018)
The hotel was opened in December 1905 (designed by Gyula Pártos: executed by Péter Kruzslicz). In 1914 it partly burnt down so it had to be rebuilt. Besides hotel rooms it included a restaurant, a café, a tap-room and a beer-house. A ball-room was formed upstairs, which also could be used for theatre performances. The plastic art of a bird (black eagle) was removed in the 1950’s and it was given the name Hotel Peace. In 1986 the hotel got back its original name. The eagle was put back on the facade in 1991. The building, which was in a bad state by then became the property of the town. In 1997 its reconstruction started and the first spectacular event was the opening of the ball-room. Today it does not exist as a hotel, but a program house giving place to balls, wedding parties, conferences, concerts, etc.
The functions of a hotel were taken over by Hotel Ginkgo Eagle built near it (opened in 2010). One of the artesian wells of Vásárhely was drilled near the Black Eagle. The leaders of the town wished to give an elegant appearance to the well situated in the centre of the town so they asked János Pásztor, sculptor to create the source, the pool and a the statue. The piece of art, which was made in 1908 can be found about 10 meters to the east from its original place. Its replacement (1950) was given reason for the regulation of road traffic. Sources: • •
Egykor.hu: Fekete Sas (Béke) szálló Oszk.hu: „Sas” előtti kút
OLD CALVINIST CHURCH (1918-1939)
OLD CALVINIST CHURCH (2013 & 2018)
The church is the oldest building of the town made of solid building material (bricks). After driving out the Turkish, the tower was built in 1713-14 while the nave of the church between 1721-23 by the design of János Helbing, master-builder from Buda. The roof was originally shingled-roof, but later it was replaced with tiled roof. The tower was reconstructed after a thunderstruck in 1930 and it got its present concrete form. The clock and bell of the church were bought by the town from count Sándor Károlyi (who had confiscated it from the castle of Ferenc Rákóczi II in Nagyecsed). The Rákóczi bell was put up into the tower in 1725. The clock is considered to be the first wrought clock of the country with one hand. The memorial above the entrance contains the shield of the town, the time of construction and the names of the leaders of the town at that time.
In 1890 - in the place of the north and south protecting wall - a “church bazar” was built by the church containing shops and workshops of craftsmen. It was demolished in 1961. To the west of the church, near the protecting wall a granary was built in 1744 for storing the collected church tax (wheat, barley), Its facade shows the marks of “peasant baroque”. Later on the building was used for trade and business purposes, which was finally renewed in 1984 by its owner of that time (Tourist Company of Szeged). Today the Széchenyi Program Office of Hódmezővásárhely can be found in it. Sources: • •
Oszk.hu: Ó-templom Sulinet.hu: Három folyó mentén. Csongrád megye milleneumi albuma
SAINT STEPHENâ&#x20AC;&#x2122;S CHURCH (1918-1939)
SAINT STEPHENâ&#x20AC;&#x2122;S CHURCH (2013 & 2018)
The financial cover of the second catholic church was ensured by the Lukács-siblings, who pledged an estate of 300 cadastral “holds” (1 hold = 0,57 hectare) for this purpose.
Jesuits were allowed to return only in 1989.
The church was finished by 20th August 1937 (designer: Gáspár Fábián architect from Budapest: executor: Sándor Szabó, local constructional contractor), but it was consecrated only in 1938 following its furnishing and outfitting.
On 18th November 2013 - after the reconstruction of the building - Dominican sisters moved into the old Jesuit monastery.
The church with three naves was built in old-Christian, basilica-style. Its full length is 60 m, width 20 m, the height of the main navy is 15 m, the tower on the right near the facade is 45 m high.
In 2007 the Jesuit order passed the direction of King St Stephen Vicarage to Szeged-Csanád Diocese.
Sources: • • •
A simple vicarage belongs to the church, which was used by the Jesuit order until 1950. Having dissolved the order in 1950, the
Oszk.hu: Szt. István-plébániatemplom Oszk.hu: Szent István-templom belseje Gyulatelevízió.hu: A hódmezővásárhelyi Szent István-templom építése a Szentkirály oltalmában Hódmezővásárhelyi plébániák: Szent István Király Plébánia története
NEW CALVINIST CHURCH (1918-1939)
Its building was started in 1792 (the foundation-stone was placed by Benjámin Szőnyi). It was started to be used (in 1796) preceding its completion. The building in late-baroque style was consecrated in 1799. Its designers and executioners: Boldizsár Fischer and his son Ágoston, architects from Kecskemét To complete the cost of construction, the believers did a considerable amount of volunteer work and also gave donations in kind (load, crops, animals) to help the realization of the church. The inner part of the church was renewed in 1897, but by now it has got into a very bad technical state having become perilous so
its reconstruction has become unavoidable. Religious services are being kept in other premises of the congregation. Benjámin Szőnyi (1717-1794): Calvinist pastor. Having completed his studies at the universities of Frankfurt am Oder, Leyden and Utrecht, he started his pastor-services in Hódmezővásárhely. His literary work was outstanding as well. Sources: • • •
Oszk.hu: Református új templom Sulinet.hu: Örökségtár - Hódmezővásárhely Wikipédia: Szőnyi Benjámin
NEW CALVINIST CHURCH (2013 & 2018)
TOWN HALL (1918-1939)
TOWN HALL (2013 & 2018)
The general assembly decided the building of the Town Hall on 6th April 1890. Lajos Ybl, architect won the competition for the design. Construction began on 14th March 1892 (executor: Sándor Kovács, Péter Kruzslicz, János Kovács jr. János Zvara: foreman: József Janicsák, architect) The building was completed on 5th August 1893, moving in was started on 15th October.
1991) and those of János Szántó Kovács and Mihály Táncsics were placed there instead of the previous ones.
The ceremonial inauguration took place on 18th January 1894. The building is 123 m long, 50 m wide, the tower is 57 m high and the circuit is at a height of 37 m.
The originally large rooms were transformed into smaller offices after 1945. In 1970 the tower (because of electric short-circuit), in 1971 the council room and its roof burnt down (because of chimney fire). Renewal was completed between 1972-75.
In the council-room six large-sized patins are placed (Miklós Bercsényi, Lajos Kossuth, Ferenc József I, Queen Erzsébet, Ferenc Deák, Ferenc Rákóczi II) The paintings showing Ferenc József I and Queen Erzsébet were removed in the fifties (they were put back in
On 22nd April 1894 the Town Hall was the scene of historic events: the building was attacked by people of Vásárhely in order to set free János Szántó Kovács and the trial of the partakers was also here.
CENTRAL HOTEL (1918-1939)
OFFICE OF THE DISTRICT (2013 & 2018)
At the end of 19th century the Jews of Vásárhely decided to have an own headquarters for the religious community built. The foundation stone was placed on 4th May 1893 and its inauguration took place in 1894 (designer: Pál Petrecz, architect).
2011 a music school was housed in it. In its big hall remarkable concerts were organized by the teacher-artists of the school and guest artists known country-wide also performed there. The music school was given the name Attila Péczely in 1994.
There are rooms for religious life, catering and business units and as a result of this in everyday language it used to be called central hotel or Jewish café as well. In the thirties it housed several cultural events organized by the Israelitic women’s club (lectures were given by Attila József poet, Ferenc Hont stage-manager, the starter of the Open Air Festival of Szeged, Oszkár Ascher actor, theatre-manager).
After reconstruction (in 2017) the Major Department of the Agrarian and Country-Developing Office of the District started its function in it.
After the deportation of the Jews (1944) a home for the youngest soldiers (“levente”), then from 1945 MADISZ (Hungarian Democratic Youth Organization), between 1957-
Sources: • • • • • •
Oszk.hu: Központi Szálloda Wikipédia: Ascher Oszkár Wikipédia: Hont Ferenc Wikipédia: József Attila Wikipédia: Péczely Attila Csmkh.hu: A vásárhelyi az első az országban
NEW TOWN OPEN AIR BATH (1918-1939)
SÁNDOR TÖRÖK OPEN AIR BATH (2013 & 2018)
In 1929 Hódmezővásárhely had an open air bath built from the loan the Swedish Speyer banking house (two 50 m pools, 600 cabins, two-floored restaurant, a cash-desk and a pavilion for the staff. The opening ceremony took place on 26th-27th June 1930. In 1955 it was adapted to thermal water and at the same time new pools were built (for the retired and for learners as well as a “splasher”). In the western part a grandstand and under it changing rooms, serving rooms were built. In 1956 the statue of a Woman Braiding her Hair (Venus of Debrecen) by Ferenc Medgyessy, in 1962 the statue Stepping in the Water by Béni Ferenczy were erected in the area of the open air bath. In 2002-2003 the pools in the open air were renewed and the indoor swimming bath was built. In 2014 indoor fun pool section and a fun pool for children were added.
In 2016 the 4th Arena Junior European Championship was organized here. For this event a 33 m warming up/practice swimming bath was built, the indoor swimming bath and its grandstand were renewed and a new, modern training-room was made in the place of the old changing rooms. In 2009 the open air bath was given the name Sándor Török, teacher, trainer of swimmers and water-polo players and the swimming bath got the name of Dezyő Gyarmati, water-polo player, olympic champion. Sources: • • • •
Oszk.hu: Új városi strandfürdő Oszk.hu: Városi strandfürdő Hódfürdő.hu: Török Sándor Strandfürdő és Gyarmati Dezső Sportuszoda Hódfürdő.hu: 88 éves a Vásárhelyi Fürdő
G. BETHLEN CALVINIST GRAMMAR SCHOOL (1918-1939)
G. BETHLEN CALVINIST GRAMMAR SCHOOL (2018)
The calvinist school of Hódmezővásárhely used to exist in the 16th century already as part of the Calvinist College of Debrecen. The rules of the school were written in 1723 and since then - it is documented - it has been working continuously. In 1854 it was a sub-grammar school and in 1873 it became main/chief grammar school. It was named after Gábor Bethlen, reigning prince of Transylvania, in 1930. In 1948 it was nationalized and in 1994 given back to the church In 1820 the two storied building called “old grammar school” was erected on the corner of the present-day Kossuth square instead of the initial adobe building. By the end of the 19th century it proved to be too small for housing the main grammar school with 8 classes. The present-day grammar school building was opened in 1896 (designer: Gyula Sándy, architect from Budapest) and it has been enlarged more times since then.
The 76-meter-long building lies parallel with the southern wing of the flood protecting wall. The main entrance leads into a many-angular assembly hall, where besides the bronze statue of Gábor Bethlen (work of Pál Pátzay), the names of the students killed in World Wars I and II together with the names of famous former headmasters can be found on marble tablets. Along the corridors and in the yard further quotations, memorial tablets, statues, grave-stones remind us of the past of the school, its famous teachers and students. Sources: • • • •
Oszk.hu: Ev. ref. Főgimnázium Oszk.hu: Ev. ref. főgimnázium Sulinet.hu: Ógimnázium Wikipédia: Bethlen Gábor Református Gimnázium
BANDULA TRADING (1918-1939)
Along Szentesi road, in the place of the present-day restaurant The pub Red Ox used to stand already in 1770. Later it became the property of the town and used to work as a chemist’s until 1913 when it was pulled down. In its place Sándor Bandula (1882-1958), local contractor built a restaurant which he ran for 16 years. Afterwards it was rented by Sándor Balogh jr. until 1937. Then the building got back to the hands of Sándor Bandula again. Besides the restaurant he opened a hardware store and a grocer’s, which worked until1947, when the communists declared him to be kulak (a wealthy peasant). First the pub and in 1951 the trading were taken away from him. The nationalized people’s store became the study-shop of shopkeepers. Sándor Bandula was employed in one of the pubs in Makói street, where he worked
until his death. Sándor Bandula had 10 grandchildren, 15 great-grandchildren, 22 great-great grandchildren. After the changing of the regime the family repurchased the shop. István Bónus rented, later bought it (1996) from Sándor Bandula jr., but he kept its name. The building, which was reconstructed and enlarged on more occasions, is a restaurant today. Sources: • • •
Oszk.hu: Belváros - Szentesi utca Délmagyar.hu: Száz év után is Bandula Bandula.hu: Bandula Kisvendéglő - Borsoroló - Kis Bandula Faloda
BANDULA RESTAURANT (2018)
ERZSÉBET GENERAL HOSPITAL (1918-1939)
The first general hospital was opened in1859 in Hódmezővásárhely. The oldest building (Erzsébet eye hospital) of the present-day hospital was completed in 1898 on the initiative of József Imre (1851-1933) (designer: Gyula Sándy). It was named after Queen Erzsébet, who was killed by an Italian anarchist in Geneva that year.
the range of services also increased). In 2016 a new, modern block opened with consulting rooms for walking case patients, physioteraphy unit and a new pharmacy for patients was opened at its entrance. Pathology was housed in the basement and the nearby building also passed through serious reconstruction.
The other buildings of the town hospital were constructed between 1905 and 1911 according to the designs of Jenő Hübner (1863-1929). (It used to be a group of buildings with 229 beds consisting of 9 pavilions). In 1929 it grew to 384 beds with the help of enlargements, reconstructions and erecting new buildings).
Since 2013 Erzsébet Hospital has been working as the Member-Institution of Hódmezővásárhely of the Csongrád County Health Service Centre.
Since the end of World War II there have been new developments so the group of buildings was enlarged, transformed (by this
Sources: • • •
Oszk.hu: Erzsébet közkórház Eötvös.hiszk.hu: Hódmezővásárhely története Csmekhm.hu: Hódmezővásárhelyi Erzsébet Kórház rövid története
ERZSÃ&#x2030;BET HOSPITAL (2018)
Tram-train is a means of public transport connecting the railway station of Szeged with the railway station of Hódmezővásárhely, which is going to run as a tram in inhabited areas and as a train in open areas. The train with a capacity of transporting 90 people is to ride at a speed of 50 km/hour at Rókus railway station and in the open area it can reach the speed of 100km/hour. It will commute every 30 minute by day, 20 minute in rush hours (but between 6:30 and 7:10 in the morning every 10 minute. The running-time between the two cities is going to be 20 minutes.
street or in the square in front of Bethlen Grammar School. Sources: • • • •
Construction started in April 2018, that’s why in a lot of photos roadwork, excavation can be seen. The completion of the new railway line is expected to be in 2020 after which the sight seen above is to come in Andrássy
Wikipédia: Szeged-Hódmezővásárhely tram-train Szegedma.hu: Ilyen lesz a tram-train Szeged és Hódmezővásárhely között Vásárhely24.com: Mutatjuk a Tram-Train vásárhelyi megállóit! Mav-thermit.hu: Tram-train rendszerek Európában és megvalósulása Szeged-Hódmezővásárhelyen
5ÈSLÈOZ Szűcs Palace
3PUIFSNFSF street Black Eagle and "OESÈTTZ street
Girl with a Pitcher
Town Hall Old Calvinist Church
#FUIMFO (ÈCPS (rammar School
Summer Small Theatre
Open Air Bath
4aint Stephan's Church
New Calvinist Churh
The project presents a transnational overview of the European history (1917-2017) – the cultural, demographic, technological and psycho-political changes in Europe and a reflection on the advantages of the democratic system compared to the totalitarian system. The project tracks the transformation of the urban architecture and constitutes a series of photographs and digital educational reenactments that show the face of Central and Eastern Europe as a symbiosis between past and future, people and buildings, locally as well as universally. Purposes: • To capture and recreate the specific and unique atmosphere of a number of cities through digital interpretation, reconstruction as well as a presentation of the
archeological and historical sites and artifacts, dating from the period between the World Wars and their images today. To visually portray long-lost historical traces (buildings and cities) in the period between 1917–1939, by comparing them with the contemporary urban environment 2017 – specifically their coexistence between the past and the present. To encourage the study of historical heritage with a particular emphasis on socio-cultural interaction and the impact of the urban environment in the past and nowadays To acquire skills and competences to devise a range of knowledge-transfer and public engagement activities.
Activities: • Kick off meeting. • Research and analysis of materials, photos, history and artifacts related to the urban environment in the period 19171939 and mapping (capturing the same sites in their contemporary appearance in photographs). Processing the materials. • Creating visual reconstructions of the sites and producing a common virtual product in form of a map, including at least 100 objects/sites. • National and international virtual exhibitions, lighting installations. • International meeting “URBAN RECOVERY 17-17”.
Duration of the project: 18 months (1st November, 2017 – 30th April, 2019) Partners: • International Development Alliance, Szófia (Bulgária) – Coordinator • Asociatia Fluturele Visator, Sânnicolau Mare, (Romania) • Fundacja Młodzi dla Europy, Będzin (Poland) • Biedrība “Solis Tuvāk”, Ķekava (Latvia) • KOM 018 – Club for Youth Empowerment 018, Niš (Serbia) • Youth Come On, Berlin (Germany) • Tudás Alapítvány, Hódmezővásárhely (Hungary) More information about the project