Page 30

BUSINESS PROFILES

W

Wheeling and Prospect Heights and their Chamber of Commerce are fortunate to boast a diverse economic base, consisting of businesses, large and small, new and well-established. Some primarily serve local residents, others serve the larger Chicago community and still others provide services or ship product to the entire country or even the world.

BERTOG LANDSCAPE Tracy Bertog, CEO and founder of Bertog Landscape in Wheeling, developed a love for landscaping as a teenager. He started cutting lawns in Glenview at the age of 12 and as soon as he could, progressed to working in a local garden center and landscape company. He actually started Bertog Landscape when he was only a junior in high school and purchased a dump truck for the business four days before his 16th birthday. In fact, the receipt from Tom Todd for that truck still hangs in his office. “My dad was a professor at Oakton College and he was a strong believer

Your Print Solutions Provider

in a college education. So he insisted that I at least go through Triton College’s two-year horticulture program. When I finished, he saw my passion for what I was doing and how my landscape business was taking off and he was satisfied,” Bertog recalled. Bertog Landscape has grown steadily over the years, moving to Wheeling 10 years ago. Today it employs 30 people full-time (including four landscape architects/designers) and 70 seasonal workers (from March to Thanksgiving). His brothers, Bob and Steve, also work in the business. Bob serves as president and Steve runs the irrigation and lighting division. Although Bertog handles some commercial jobs, the firm focuses on high-end residential landscape designs along the North Shore, the Barrington area, Lake Geneva and as far south as Hinsdale. “We design and build outdoor kitchens, patios and raised terraces,” he said. “I would estimate that 60 percent of our work involves the installation of plant materials while the other 40 percent of the time we are working with hardscapes, irrigation systems and lighting. We work almost 100 percent on referrals.” After installation, Bertog also handles weekly maintenance because they like to monitor the progress of their trees and plants. They have 15 three-man crews that maintain both residences and commercial properties. “I love seeing a new home with no landscaping and then watching as we transform it with landscaping, hardscape and lighting. Watching the progress of jobs is still exciting,” he said.

From Concept to Completion The Service You Deserve The Quality You Expect FREE Consultation FREE Pick-up and Delivery

wheelingmmp@minutemanpress.com | www.wheeling.minutemanpress.com

Main Office

Grand Avenue Branch

773-283-4100

773-889-7575

4786 Milwaukee Ave., Chicago 60630 7001 West Grand Ave., Chicago 60707

Member FDIC

Woodstock Branch

Wheeling Branch

815-337-6300

847-459-1150

400 St. Johns Road, Woodstock 60098 699West Dundee Rd., Wheeling 60090

30

|

WPH – Chamber of Commerce & Industry

IL-WHP-CW-16 Design.indd 30

2016 Community Guide & Business Directory

8/9/2016 1:35:37 PM

Wheeling IL Chamber Guide  
Read more
Read more
Similar to
Popular now
Just for you