Student Council Minutes
Date: Time: Venue:
13th January 2014 18:00 Training Room, City Campus
Agenda Content Item
Jo Southwell-‐Sander (Chair) Liz McCluskey Marcus Boswell Patrick Atkinson Libby Farrier-‐Williams Chantelle Farr Costa Charalambous Steve Ebeling Faisal Chikte Laury Potiomkinas Ben King Jem Lawal Molly Redmond Bernadette Walsh Amy McLaughlan (Secretary)
Welcome and Apologies 1
Apologies from Mark Naylor, Hannah Nicholson, Lucy Orbell.
Selection of the Vice-‐Chair Patrick Atkinson elected Vice Chair.
Accepting the agenda / declarations Agenda accepted. No declarations made.
Minutes from previous meeting
Minutes had not been circulated with the papers for the meeting.
ACTION: AMc to circulate the forgotten minutes!
Matters arising not covered elsewhere on the agenda
Please see above.
Accountability and questions The Executive Officers reports were run through. 6
BK asked JSS about progress with the building work: JSS reported that 90% of the snagging has been dealt with now and all that remains is the Council work on the pavement/road.
Big Ideas discussion and voting 28: Lobby to ban plastic bags from Fresher's Fairs or actively discourage exhibitors to not give away plastic bags The group supported the idea and liked the idea of providing bags of paper and canvas with exhibitors logos on. Vote: For: 13 Against: 0 Abstention: 1 Big Idea PASSED.
29: Allow all NTSU members to vote on all NTSU commercial affiliations. MB explained that democratic processes don’t move fast enough to keep up with the needs of advertisers and that all decisions are taken in the best interest of our members. There was concern that this would take the emphasis away from big ideas and democratic causes that people really care about. The group concluded that they trusted the staff and officers of the Union to make these decisions on their behalf. Vote: For: 0 Against: 11 Abstentions: 3 Big Ideas FALLS. 32: Pay by card on nights out/have a functioning ATM within the premises so we don't have to leave the building to get cash out MB reported that the cash machines are due to be up and running by the end of the month but the card machines will not be used on evenings: it slows service at the bar significantly. The group asked MB to contact the proposer with this information as there was nothing left to vote on. 33: City gym should be open much later PA reported that the sports department piloted opening until 11.30pm just before Christmas and it was empty although there were questions over how well this was communicated amongst gym users. The group queried the usage of other local gyms during this time and whether it was even possible. Amendment proposed: ‘Lobby the University to trial later opening hours’
ACTION: MB to contact proposer with update
Vote: For: 9 Against: 0 Abstentions: 5 Referred to Union Meeting. 34: The SU to create a Male Officer position. The officers provided context to the request: there are more women than men at Trent; male students tend to have poorer performance at University with bad retention and lower degree results; fewer males take on roles of responsibility such as course and school reps; and poor opportunities after University (demonstrated in DLHE statistics). However in the broader student movement there is a big drive towards promoting women in leadership and ensuring women are represented making this proposal potentially controversial nationally. JSS posed the question, what do we hope to gain from having a Male Officer? The group broadly thought that there was little benefit to be had on a University wide level but that some particularly unbalanced courses/schools may benefit from gender specific representation (for both genders). It was considered that merely having a Male Officer wouldn’t combat the issues, wouldn’t necessarily tackle the problems, as there are much more deep-‐seated problems to be resolved. The group suggested that the purpose of a Male Officer would be to act as a First Responder to prove that the Union does encourage that level of interaction from male students, highlighting our equality and diversity policy. Most of the group thought that this issue was bigger than the views represented on Student Council. Vote: For: 4 Against: 2 Abstentions: 8 Referred to Union Meeting. 37: Increase bar staff for Quids In at the City SU. MB reported that the event was never planned to work this well and exceeded capacity which makes it a loss making night. The number of people serving are the right number for the space of the bar (actually have more staff per till than in The Point). Changes in pricing and addition of bottle bar should improve this. No matter how many bar staff are in place, the speed of the pumps doesn’t change, they can’t pour it any faster!
Vote: For: 0 Against: 12 Abstention: 2 Big Idea FALLS. 38: For the SU to support the boycott of Russian vodka. JSS highlight that the Union does not stock Russian vodka so it would be a theoretical ban for the future. It was strongly felt that this was an issue for future councils to tackle as and when it became an issue. Vote: For: 1 Against: 11 Abstentions: 2 Big Idea FALLS. 41: Providing water fountains in all Uni buildings. MB had been looking into the University position on this but had heard nothing back from his contact. Amendment proposed: ‘To lobby the University to provide water fountains in all University buildings’ Vote: For: 13 Against: 1 Abstentions: 0 Big Idea PASSES. 42: (to be taken in parts) A: Money on student cards is wiped each year with no warning for students and conflicting information about the amounts over which you can receive a refund JSS highlighted that this was open to interpretation due to it’s wording but that she had deduced that this means they want it explained. The group agreed. Amendment proposed: ‘To lobby the University to clarify and advertise the situation surrounding student cards’ Vote: For: 13 Against: 0 Abstentions: 1 Big Idea PASSED. B: Part-‐time postgraduate students are having to pay more than was advertised for the second year of their course LFW reported that it is made very clear on the
postgraduate pages that the fees are subject to change and this is standard to a number of Universities that she looked at. LP spoke about the NUS International Students campaign coming up, looking at fixed fee guarantees for international students: some Universities do offer fixed fee guarantees, and the campaign plans to name and shame those that do not. The issue regarding the timeframes of funding applications is another that needs looking at (e.g. you currently have to apply for funding before your fee is confirmed). Amendment proposed: ‘To lobby the University to operate a fixed fee guarantee’ Vote: For: 14 Against: 0 Abstentions: 0 Big Idea PASSES. B: To Lobby the University to fix Clifton Car Park, it is currently full of pot holes making it very dangerous for both cars and pedestrians The group discussed the pros and cons of the car park, ranging from anecdotes of accidents to the benefits of a very cheap parking permit. It was noted that the University had looked into this in the past and a huge amount of work would be required to make it a ‘proper’ car park. Vote: F: 4 A: 2 Abs: 8 Referred to Union Meeting.
Any other business
Taxi Update JL requested an update on the issues with Nottingham Cars. JSS explained that the company has requested we promote their app to students as it can track the cars that you use. The Union has produced a flier that explains the process and will be launching a form to capture the data and forwarding to City Council as well. Complaints procedure JSS reported that we have found that people are sending complaints through the Big Ideas process so we are trying to filter out the complaints and suggestions to debate the bigger meatier issues, the change-‐makers at Student Council.
Ben King, Laury Potiomkinas, Molly Redmond to speak at next Union Meeting. Reminder of Reports to Amy in time for Union Meeting.
Date and time of next meeting/s 10
Monday 10th February, 6pm Monday 14th April, 6pm
BIG IDEAS: Student Council 13/01/2014 31 31. 31: I've heard many complaints about the flyer (bus) that's supposed to come twice every hour. JSS I've heard numerous cases of the flyer turning up 20 minutes late (or not turning up at all), leaving 15 minutes early, not stopping at Maltings/Meridian long enough to actually let people off the bus, or refusing to take people on at Meridian to go to the city. This issue doesn't only affect Meridian, but Maltings too. Apart from being extremely annoying, it's also starting to affect people's attendance at lectures, missing meetings, one boy missed a job interview. It's costing people money, as they often have to call a taxi at the last minute, and it only seems to be getting worse. Another issue is that students at the Maltings who study at Clifton received a bus pass to get to their lectures, whereas the students at Meridian didn't. Apparently, if the students had called accommodation services and explained that they couldn't afford Clifton accommodation, they would have been told that Maltings was the cheaper alternative to Clifton. However, one student from Meridian did actually call to ask, and was told that both Meridian and Maltings would be offered the bus package. On the site where we could look at our different options, the words 'free travel deal' were put next to both the options, causing us to believe that both places would receive the same deal. Now I've asked around Meridian court, and a few suggestions have been offered to me by residents there; one was that the buses for Meridian and Maltings be separated. One bus for them, and one for us, that keeps going twice an hour. Another is that maybe a third bus be involved once an hour, which goes straight to the city from Meridian rather than stopping at Maltings, meaning that if something happens to the first bus (e.g. doesn't turn up) you can always catch the faster one into the city. Another suggestion was more frequent buses, and everyone agreed that the few students who study at Clifton should be reimbursed for the £199 bus pass they were forced to purchase as this was handled very badly by accommodation services. I hope you will be able to take these ideas into account, personally I believe that separating the buses for the accommodations would be the best option as this would clear up the most annoyances. I hope you understand that this is something many people feel very strongly about, and would very much like to see cleared up a little. Marika Hoogenboom JSS explained that she has met with the student in question and that they are going to take this . Referred to Jo F: A: Abs: