Issuu on Google+

Chocolate Poisoning in Our Canine Companions You’re probably aware that chocolate isn’t good for pets. Since many of our dogs like to gobble up whatever morsel they find, it’s a particular danger for them! Below, your Westside, IN vet tells you more about chocolate poisoning in dogs.

Symptoms The symptoms of chocolate poisoning include lethargy, drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, and—without proper treatment—coma and even death. These symptoms are caused by caffeine and a chemical called theobromine, both of which are found in all types of chocolate.

Treatment If you see or suspect that your dog has ingested chocolate, take them to the nearest veterinary emergency room as quickly as possible. Your pet’s stomach may be flushed, or activated charcoal might be administered to slow the poison’s absorption. Therapies like fluid replacement, oxygen supplementation, and more might be necessary as your dog recovers.

Preventing Poisoning Since it’s far easier and much less worrisome to prevent issues instead of treating them, take steps to have your pet avoid chocolate at all costs. Store chocolate and all foods containing chocolate inside cabinets or the refrigerator so that your dog can’t gain access. Would you like further advice on preventing poisoning? Contact your animal hospital Westside, IN for help.


Chocolate poisoning in our canine companions