It was the site of an old Neutral Indian Village called Onghiara.
The town was once again renamed in the 1880s, this time to what it remains today: Niagara-on-the-Lake. This change was made because to avoid confusion with Niagara Falls.
The historic old town is a popular film location, and films such as The Dead Zone, The Experts, The Ref, Canadian Bacon, That Old Feeling and Amelia have all been filmed there. In 1996, Communities in Bloom, a national beautification program, named Niagara-on-the-Lake the “prettiest town in Canada.”
McFarland House is the oldest surviving building in Niagara-on-the-Lake, and was used as a hospital and Officer’s Quarters during the War of 1812. Because of this, it survived the burning of the town in 1813.
The town got its first school in 1859, and it was called Niagara Public School.
In 1974, Inniskillin was given the first estate winery license since the days of Prohibition. This was the start of what would become a huge industry in Niagara.
The majority of the military sites in town (Fort George, Navy Hall and Butler’s Barracks) have all been restored and are open to visitors.s.
Fort George was restored during a “Make Work Project” during the Great Depression in the 1930s.
The town’s historic district was designated as a National Historic Site of Canada in 2003. Specific buildings that have been designated as National Historic Sites include: the Battlefield of Fort George, Fort George itself, Butlers Barracks, Fort Mississauga, Old Court House Theatre and The Niagara Apothecary (which is the oldest apothecary in Canada).
Niagara-on-the-Lake is the only town in Canada whose elected official is known as Lord Mayor. This title is much more common in Britain.
St. Mark’s Church was built in 1791 and is the oldest Anglican Church in Ontario. In addition to the main area of Niagara-on-the-Lake, the town also encompasses several different villages: Glendale, Homer, McNab, Queenston, St. Davids and Virgil. TM TODAYMAGAZINE.CA 39