Page 1


Eustis Reflections

A  Monthly  Publication  of  the    Eustis  Historical   Museum  &  Preservation  Society,   Inc.      

Volume VIII,  Number  28  –  August  2012            



Closed August  20  –  September  5      


Beginning September  6   Thursday  -­‐  Saturday   10:00  am  –  2:00  pm  

CURATORS   Richard  “Ted”  Waterfall   Jennie  Hoon  (starting  August  19th)     TRUSTEES   Ethel  Ryan   Louise  Carter   Melanie  Blankenship   Kim  Nesbitt  Winn     OFFICERS   Timothy  Totten    President   Darlene  Rivers     Vice-­‐President   Marcia  Arnold   2  Vice-­‐President   nd

Gail Isaac-­‐Thomas   Recording  Secretary   John  Blankenship   Treasurer     APPOINTED   Louise  Carter  –  Historian   Marcia  Arnold  –  First  Ladies  

Friends, Lots  of  changes  happening  around  here,  and  they’re  all  positive  things!   We’re  saying  goodbye  to  Ted  Waterfall,  who  has  served  us  for  almost  two   years.    Read  his  curator’s  corner  inside  to  find  out  where  he’s  going  and   what  exciting  work  he’ll  be  doing  in  the  future.   Of  course,  that  means  we  need  a  new  curator;  I’m  pleased  to  announce   that   the   board   has   hired  Mrs.   Jennie   to  serve   as   our   new  curator.     Jennie   has   a   Bachelor’s   degree   in   Psychology   and   lives   in   Umatilla.     She   has   experience   with   local   organizations   and   was   already   a   member   of   the   Eustis  Historical  Museum  before  being  selected.   Along   with   the   curator   change,   you   will   notice   that   this   newsletter   is   A   LOT   BIGGER  this   month.     The  board   recently   met  to   discuss  our   focus   this   year   and   it   was   decided   that   we   would   put   together   larger   newsletters   but   publish   them  on  a   quarterly  basis.     Inside  this  and  future  newsletters,   you   will   find   some   history   from   our   archives   as   well   as   a   3-­‐month   schedule  that  you  can  remove  and  put   on  your  fridge   on  in  some  other   conspicuous   location.     Since   you   will   have   the   schedule   months   in   advance,  you  will  extra  incentive  to  join  us  for  these  great  events.   Our  first  exciting  event  is  a  special  August  23rd  tour  of  the  LaRoe  Family   Homestead  at  the  corner  of  Orange  Avenue  and  the  44-­‐Bypass.    We  will   be   touring   the   machine   shop   and   the   home,   both   of   which   have   been   placed  on  the  National  Register  of  Historic  Places.       Speaking  of  exciting,  don’t  forget  our  semi-­‐annual  “Eustis  Road  Show,”  an   antique  appraisal  clinic  that  the  museum  holds  in  the  Spring  and  Fall.    The   next   date   is   September   13.     Also,   our   biggest   fundraiser,   the   Christmas   House  Craft  Fair,  will  take  place  at  the   end  of  November.    If  you’d  like  to   participate   as   a   crafter   selling   your   wares,   please   contact   Ethel   Ryan   at   530-­‐4216  or  call  the  museum  at  352-­‐483-­‐0046.   It’s  also  time  for  a  big  cleanup,  so  the  house  will  be  closed  from  August   19th   to   September   6th   to   accomplish   this.     As   of   September   6th,   the   museum   will   reopen   with   new   hours.     We   will   be   open   10am   –   2pm,   Thursdays  through  Saturdays.   Sincerely,      Timothy  Totten,  President  

TED’S FINAL  CURATOR’S  CORNER     On  a  bit  of  both  a  sad  and  a  bit  of  a  happy  note  (for  me)  I  wish   to  announce  that  I  have  accepted  an  offer  to  join  the  faculty   at  Hale  Academy,  a  private  school  in  Ocala.  I  have,  therefore,  submitted  my  letter  of  resignation  as  your  curator.  My  last  day   on   the   job   will   be   Saturday,   August   18.   I   will   be   teaching   U.S.   History,   World   Cultures,   and   A   History   of   World   War   2   According  to  Hollywood,  a  class  I  created.  I  wish  I  could  have  stayed  on,  but  my  personal  finances  have  dictated  otherwise.  I   will  miss  you  all.  I  have  met  our  new  curator  and  I  am  looking  forward  to  helping  her  transition  into  her  new  role.   I   must  add   that   it   is  a   very   lucky   person   who   can   state   that   they   have   been  employed   in  a   job  that  they  actually   looked   forward  to  going   to  every  single   day.  My  love   of  history  and  of  being  around   the  physical  things  that  you  can  touch,  and  feel,   and  smell,  and  simply  be  in  the  presence  of,  are  what  makes  history  actually  live  in  my  mind.  This  job  has  enabled  me  to  do   just  that.  Those  who  have  ever  said  that  history  is  a  dead  subject  have  never  seen  it  through  my  eyes.  It  lives,  it  breathes,  I   hear   it   every   day   at   the   Eustis   Historical   Museum   and   elsewhere.   All   one   has   to   do   is   learn   to   listen.   Its   voice   can   be   deafening.   Tim  has  indicated  to  me  some  exciting  plans  for  future  possible  displays  in  our  museum.  These  include  the  possibility  of  a   rather   massive   model   train   exhibit   (and   the   tie-­‐in,   of   course,   to   that   industry   for   Eustis).   I   do   not   wish   to   go   into   any   particular  details  for  an  exhibit  that  is  still  in  the  planning  stages,  but  this  could  be  a  really  interesting  display.   There  has  also  been  talk  of  moving  the  Native  American  display  from  the  Guest  Bedroom  into  the  first  floor  hallway,  after   moving   the   display   cases  out,   so   it   is   more   accessible   to   more   people,   and   using   the   Guest  bedroom   for  temporary  displays,   such  as  the  above  mentioned.  I  think  this  is  an  excellent  idea  and  support  it  whole  heartedly.   With  a  bit  of  a  feeling  of  sadness,  I  conclude  my  final  Curator’s  Comment.   So,  until  we  meet  again,  whenever  and  wherever  that  may  be,  Keep  your  powder  dry!  

Ted Waterfall    

EUSTIS HISTORICAL  MUSEUM  &  PRESERVATION  SOCIETY   536  N.  Bay  Street,  Eustis,  FL  32726          (352)  483-­‐‑0046   MEMBERSHIP  APPLICATION  /  RENEWAL   Date:     [        ]  New  Membership        [        ]  Renewal        [        ]  Other  Donation                         Student  $10     Individual  $20     Family  $25                           Business  $55     Life  Member  $500     Other  Donation                             Name    /  Business  Name:                   Address:     City,  State,  Zip:               Email  Address:       Newsletters  are  delivered  by  email  unless  you  check  this  box  [        ]  for  postal  delivery               PHONE:     ALTERNATE  PHONE:                 Areas  of  Volunteer  Interest:                   The  Eustis  Historical  Museum  &  Preservation  Society  is  a  non-­‐profit  501c3  organization.    All  donations  are  tax-­‐deductible.  

as told  to  his  grandson,  Francis  C.  Savage  at  the  Seminole  Lodge  in  Eustis,  Florida  in  December  1927.   In   1873,   while   serving   as   assistant   cashier   under   Dr.   J.M.   Bishop   of   the   Freeman’s   Bank   at   Columbus,   MS,  I  became  interested  in  Florida.     At   this   time   he   was   in   communication   with   John   A.   McDonald,   who   was   advertising   Florida   with   headquarters   at   Sanford,   FL.     In   1876,   after   visiting  the  Centennial  (in  Philadelphia)  I  went  up   to  New  York  and  took  passage  on  the  Mallory  Line   steamer  “Dallas”  for  Fernandina  (in  Florida).   It   was   a   rough   trip   and   nearly   all   the   passengers   were   seasick.     Seven   of   us   kept   our   feet   and   appetites.     I   became   well   acquainted   with   Thompson,   the   employee   of   the   custom   house   in   Fernandina   and   also   with   Satus   S.   Ingram   of   the   Bahamas.    One  day  the  latter  unexpectedly  got  my   bowl  of  soup  in  his  lap.    A  waiter  brought  my  soup   and   when  he   started  to   set  it   down   the  ship  gave   an   extra   lurch   and   the   contents   of  the   plate   went   into  Ingram’s  lap.   After   spending   a   few   days   in   Fernandina   and   in   Jacksonville,   I   went   up   the   St.   John’s   River   to   Sanford   on   the   steamer   “Carrie.”     After   taking   a   little  trip  to  Paola,  where  Dr.  Bishop  had  invested,   I   returned   to   Sanford   and   put   up   at   a   boarding   house  run  by  A.S.  Pendry,  where  I  met  McDonald,   Dan   Herrick   and   Henry   Key.     They   told   me   about   this   beautiful   country   and   I   hired   a   pony   from   Parramore   and   following   directions   reached   Fort   Mason   and   Eustis.     I   returned   to   Sanford   the   following  day  after  spending  the  night  at  the  home   of  C.T.  Smith  on  Lake  Woodward.   At  first  they  would  not  believe  that  I  had  made  the   trip,   but   I   soon   convinced   them   by   telling   of   the   things   that  I   had   seen  and  about  the  camp   where   some   men   were   commencing   to   clear   the   land   where   Pendry   later   built   the   Ocklawaha   Hotel.     This   camp   consisted   of   a   rough   shanty   of   boards.     Outside  a  deer  was  hanging.    When  I  asked  one  of   them  where  he  got  the  deer,  he  told  me  that  it  had   ran  against  a  pine  tree  and  killed  itself.        

Then I   went   around   the   shore   of   Lake   Eustis   to   Fort   Mason,   which   consisted   of   half   a   dozen   houses  and  a  store.    Eustis  at  that  time  had  one  log   cabin   just   north   of   the   Clifford   home   in   the   oaks   (now   Eustis   Park).     Between   it   and   Fort   Mason   I   killed   a   rabbit   with   my   revolver.     On   my   return   past   the   shack,   the   same   man   asked   me   where   I   got  the  cottontail.    I  told  him  that  it  ran  against  an   oak  tree  and  knocked  out  its  brains,  greatly  to  the   amusement   of   the   rest   of   the   gang   who   gave   him   the   grand   laugh.     Henry   Key   then   spoke   up   and   said,  “He  has  been  out  there.”   I  opened  my  mail  and  found  in  a  letter  a  check  for   $10,000  signed  by  two  men  named  Barbarian  and   Deluge.     From   Philadelphia,   I   had   written   home   about  the  many  things  I  had  seen  at  the  Centennial   and   they   (my   brother   and   Dr.   Flood)   sent   the   check   with   an   order   for   several   of   the   beautiful   things   that   I   had   seen.     You   can   easily   see   where   they   coined   the   names   they   signed   to   the   (joke)   check  –  their  real  names  were  Savage  and  Flood.   I   believe   that   check   was   what   made   them   so   anxious   for   me   to   take   up   a   homestead   out   here,   but  I  told  them  that  I  was  going  to  see  m ore  of  the   state  before  settling  down.   I   bought   a   horse,   saddle   and   camping   outfit   and   came   back   through   this   section   and   then   to   Gainesville   and   Waldo   by   way   of   the   Marshall   Swamp,   where   I   camped  out   the   first   night   on   an   island  in  the  Oklawaha  River.     The  next  day  I  went   on   through   to   Ocala   where   I   arrived   in   time   for   dinner,   passed   through   an   English   settlement   at   Lake   Weir.     After   dinner   I   saw   a   man   trying   to   pack   his   trunk   of   shoe   samples.     I   smiled   and   he   asked  if  I  knew  anything  about  it.    I  told  him  that  I   had   been   raised   at   it   and   at   his   request   I   packed   them   and   had   room   to   spare.     I   had   already   learned  that  they  had  given  up  the  old  route,  Wire   Road,   on  account   of   the  rocks.    So  I   got   my   horse   ready  to  follow  the  stage.      

(Pioneering in  Florida  continued)     About   sundown,   the   mules   began   to   fuss   so   the   driver  asked  me  to  go  ahead  down  the  hill  and  find   out  what  was  the  matter.    I  came  back  and  told  the   driver   that   a   sick   steer   was   across   the   road   and   asked  for  help  to  get  it  out  of  the  way.    The  driver   would   not   leave   the   stage   on   account   of   the   mail   but   sent   a   passenger   with   me.     Later   I   was   told   that   the   driver   had   me   covered   with   is   gun,   thinking   it   was   a   holdup.     The   passenger   and   I   swung  the  steer  out  of  the  trail  and  the  stage  went   on.     Soon   after,   my   horse   began   to   show   signs   of   fatigue  so  I  went  into  camp  for  the  night.    The  next   night   I   made   Gainesville   by   way   of   Micanopy   and   Payne’s  Prairie.    I  stopped  there  a  while  to  rest  my   horse   and   myself.     Then   I   went   on   to   Waldo   and   came  back  through  Citra  and  saw  the  then  famous   Bishop  grove.   Then   on   down   the   line   to   Leesburg   and   Sumpterville.     At   Leesburg   I   again   took   the   old   stage  road  known  as  the  “Wire  Road”  because  the   telegraph   wire   ran   alongside.     This   I   followed   through  Brooksville  and  on  to  Tampa.    It  was  one   night   before   reaching   Brooksville   that   I   saw   a   campfire  ahead  and  went  to  it  where  I  was  invited   to   dismount   and   have   supper.     I   told   them   I   had   rations  with  me.    I  supposed  they  were  in  camp  for   the   night   so   I   built   a   little   fire   and   prepared   to   spend   the   night.     I   found   that   they   had   been   to   town   for   supplies.     Along   about   midnight   I   was   awakened   by   a   wildcat   up   in   a  tree,   to   find   that   I   was  alone   except   for   my   horse   and   a   pair  of   eyes   up  in  an  oak  tree.    Fortunately,  the  campers  of  the   previous  evening  had  replenished  my  fire  and  left   a   bunch   of   lightwood   knots   at   my   feet.     I   had   no   more   sleep   that   night!     Next   day   at   noon   I   went   into  camp  and  shot  some  quail  and  while  roasting   them   my   old   stage   driver   came   along.     I   invited   him   to   stop   and   have   some   rations.     He   told   me   that   it   was   against   the   rules   for   him   to   leave   the   coach.    I  took  the  bird  over  and  gave  it  to  him.    He   recognized  me  and  we  b oth  smiled.      

I journeyed  on  to  Tampa  by  easy  stages.    Although   at  the  time  it   was  a   seaport,  it  did  not  have   more   than  200  population.        

I went   on   South   to   the   Peace   River   section,   then   Northeast   through   what   is   now   Bartow,   then   to   Orlando,   Longwood   and   back   to   Sanford.   Having   seen  nothing  to  compare  with  the  central  section,  I   made   up   my   mind   to   locate   there,   so   I   took   the   homestead,  East  half  of  the  Southwest  quarter  and   the  West  half  of  the  Southeast  quarter,  Section  14,   Township  19  South,  Range  26  East.   At   that   time   this   part   was   called   the   poor   sand   hills   of   West   Orange   County.     North   of   this   was   Gilbert’s   and   between   him   and   Lake   Eustis   was   Pendry’s.     Smith   and   Clifford   each   had   a   little   home   on   the   North   side   of   Lake   Woodward   and   also  a  store  on  the  north  side  of  the  road.   The  Woodward  brothers  each  had  a  homestead  on   the   South   side   of   Lake   Woodward.     Gustave   Gottsche   was   on   Lake   Minerva   where   the   old   Purdy   home   now   stands.     East   of   Gilbert’s   was   Stephen’s   where   “The   Palms”   now   is.     East   of   Stephen’s  was  Colonel  Norton’s  where  “The  Oaks”   now  stands  and  East  of  him  was  P.P.  Morin,  who  is   still   on   his   old   homestead   on   Lake   Nettie,   named   for  his  daughter.   Once   a   week,   Sunday   mornings,   our   mail   was   brought   from   horseback   from   Hawkinsville   by   a   man   from   Moss   Bluff   to   Fort   Mason,   where  many   from   the   surrounding   country   gathered,   a   few   from   each   settlement   who   took   the   mail   for   their   neighbors.   Next   in   order   came   subdivisions.     Herrick   bought   15   acres   from   Pendry   on   the   South   side   of   his   homestead   and   Key   bought   10   acres   bounded   on   the   North   by   Key   Avenue   and   running   down   to   Lake   Gracie,   named   for   Pendry’s   daughter.     McDonald   bought   the   block   North   of   Key   Avenue   and  b uilt  the  house  where  Ashmore  now  lives.   Labor  was  cheap  then,  one  dollar  a  day,  and  while   the   clearing   and   log   rolling   was   going   on,   we   all   purchased   rough   lumber   delivered   from   the   mill   at   Altoona   for   ten   dollars   per   thousand   and   camped   while   houses   were   being   built.     Herrick   was  a  carpenter  and  builder  so  Key  and  I  assisted   him  in  putting  up  his  house  and  in  turn  he  helped   Key   and   myself.     When   Mrs.   Herrick   came   down   we   boarded   with   them.     Houses   were   like   a   barn   with  no  finish  inside.  

(Pioneering in  Florida  continued)  

I came   down   here   for   my   health   because   bronchitis   was   knocking   hard   at   the   front   door   and   I   found   relief.     I   went   back   to   western   New   York,  my  old  home,  for  the  summer.    On  my  return   in  the  fall  I  found  several  newcomers,  a  little  store   (2  stories)  where  the  Hotel  Boyer  now  is,  kept  by   a  man  named  Cullen.    This  season  we  all  got  busy,   finished   clearing   land,   plowing   and   setting   stakes   where   the   orange   trees   were   to   be   set.     I   built   a   “stake  and  rider”  fence  around  my  Northeast  forty   acres   except   1   acre   in   the   Northwest   corner.     A   request   had   been   made   for   an   acre   of   ground   where   the   community   later   built   a   school   house   that   was   also   used   for   church   services   on   occasions.     During   my   absence   Mrs.   Pendry,   who   was   acting   as   postmistress   for   Pendryville,   was   schoolmarm.  

When I  returned   again   in  the  fall  I   found  a  bunch   of   fellows   camping   in   my   house:     J.P.   Donnelly,   now   of   Mount   Dora,   S.N.   Powers   and   Frank   Starbird.   The   schoolhouse   had   been   built   during   my   absence  and  a  teacher  appointed,  Ike  Schultz,  who   had  a  homestead  at  the  South  end  of  East  Crooked   Lake.   This   year   a   brother   of   Dan   Herrick’s,   Lute,   came   down  and  took  up  an  80-­‐acre  homestead  on  Lake   Eustis  where  Mrs.  Clay  now  lives  (Eustis  Heights).     Later   he   sold   it   to   the   Meads,   bought   and   developed  the   point  in  West  Crooked  Lake   where   the   Simpsons   are   living.     Then   he   developed   The   Hammock  at  Northshore  after  being  in  the  grocery   business   for   a   time.     He   also   built   the   Sunbeam   Grocery   at   the   corner   of   Magnolia   Avenue   and   Grove  Street.  

Back home   again   in   the   spring   and   I   had   little   working  capital.    Henry  Key   asked   if  I  would  take   200   dollars   for   the   twenty   acres   south   of   Lake   Dicie.     This   offer   was   accepted   as   it   paid   for   the   whole  160  acres  except  for  the  government  fees  of   16  dollars,  at  Gainesville.    You  can  smile  now,  but   in  those  days  it  was  a  good  price.  

(Part two  of  this  story,  first  related  in  1927,  will  be   included   in   the   next   newsletter,   slated   for   an   October   print   date.     You   can   read   the   original   and   see  pictures  a t  the  Eustis  Historical  Museum.)    

MEET OUR  CURATOR!   Since  our  current  curator,  Ted   Waterfall,   has   accepted   a   teaching   position   in   Ocala,   we   have   hired   a   new   curator   to   continue  our  success.   Jennie   Hoon   is   a   wife   and   the   mother  of  two  elementary-­‐age   children.    She  has  a  Bachelor’s   Degree   in   Psychology   and   experience   with   office   tasks   and  public  relations.   You   can   meet   Jennie   at   a   special   reception   during   our   September  27th  meeting  at  the   Historical  Museum.  

Saturday, July 21st, 2012 we started on another First Ladies trip to the Appleton Museum of Art in Ocala, Florida. There were 9 of us taking the back roads through absolutely beautiful horse county. The trip takes about 1 hour and the museum is located on E. Silver Springs Blvd or SR 40. The Appleton Museum of Art is set back off the road and sits on 44 acres treed and manicured grounds. It was founded in 1982 as a gift from Arthur I. Appleton to the Ocala community. The City of Ocala donated the 44 acre site as the home of the present museum. Construction started 1984 and opened to the public in 1987. The museum is a contemporary two-story travertine marble structure commanding a small rise fronted by a reflecting pool and fountain. The building features five permanent galleries, a 250 seat auditorium and a café arranged in a quadrangle surrounding an open air courtyard with a fountain. The Edith-Marie Appleton Wing opened in 1996 and houses 4,000 square feet of exhibition space, three class rooms and an area to rent for different events. Overall size of the museum a grand total of 81,610 sq. ft.

The museum’s permanent collections of approximately 16,000 objects include European, American and Contemporary art, plus Asian, African, Islamic and pre-Columbia artifacts. The current temporary traveling exhibit on display called “Industrial Art”, I found particularly interesting as some of the items were made from recycled materials. One piece I found quite inventive was the used coffee filters that form a wall sculpture entitled “Two Months Decomposition”. It looked like shelf fungus hanging on the wall. The entire second floor was devoted to the Appleton collection of art. It was amazing how many pieces he had acquired over the years. My favorites were the many oil paintings of ships at sea either in combat or in storms. We left the museum at 1:00 P.M. and proceeded down Silver Springs Boulevard to the downtown area of Ocala. Our reservations for lunch were at The Muse, a recently restored; Queen Ann design home located at 416 SE Ft. King Street. The downstairs back section of this house is The Muse, which serves all organically grown items from local farmers. The downstairs also contains Tres Chic Boutique, an organic boutique that sells items such as linens made with bamboo. Lunch at The Muse was around $14.00 not including drink and tip. They are only open from 11:00 A.M. to 3:00 P.M. Monday – Saturday. The food was fabulous! Great trip for all!



Aug 3  

First Friday  Streetfest  –  Downtown  Eustis   Friday  from  5:00  pm  –  10:00  pm  

Aug 23  

Monthly Meeting  of  the  Historical  Society  +  Tour   *SPECIAL  TIME  AND  PLACE*   6:00  pm  at  the  Historic  LaRoe  Homestead  at  2891  East  Orange  Avenue   Receive  a  personal  tour  from  the  LaRoe  Family  &  enjoy  refreshments  

Aug 25  

First Ladies  Group  Trip  –  Stetson  Mansion   Meet  at  the  Clifford  House  at  9:00  am  to  Carpool   Cost  is  $20  per  person  to  tour  the  Stetson  Mansion  in  Deland   RSVP  to  Marcia  Arnold  at  483-­‐5464  

Sep 7  

First Friday  Streetfest  –  Downtown  Eustis   Friday  from  5:00  pm  –  10:00  pm  

Sep 16  

Eustis Road  Show  –  Appraisal  Clinic  -­‐  $5  per  item   Begins  at  1:00  pm  at  the  Eustis  Community  Center   Bring  your  antiques  and  collectibles  to  have  them  appraised  by  one  of  our  experts!  

Sep 22  

First Ladies  Group  Trip  –  Halifax  Historical  Museum   Meet  at  the  Clifford  House  at  8:30  am  to  Carpool   Tour  the  Halifax  Historical  Museum  in  Daytona,  Florida  

Sep 27  

Monthly Meeting  of  the  Historical  Society  +  Welcome  Reception   Enjoy  a  historical  presentation  and  a  welcome  reception  for  our  new  curator   7:00  pm  at  the  Historic  Clifford  House  

Oct 5  

First Friday  Streetfest  –  Downtown  Eustis   Friday  from  5:00  pm  –  9:00  pm  

Oct 20  

First Ladies  Group  Trip  –  Cassadega  Tour  +  Lunch   Meet  at  the  Clifford  House  at  10:00  am  to  Carpool   Tour  the  town  of  Cassadaga,  dubbed  “The  Psychic  Capital  of  the  World”  

Oct 25  

Monthly Meeting  of  the  Historical  Society  +  Special  Presentation   Trains,  Trains  and  More  Trains!   7:00  pm  at  the  Historic  Clifford  House   Come  enjoy  a  presentation  about  trains,  both  large  and  small.   We  will  also  be  debuting  a  special  exhibit  of  Lionel  model  trains!    


Please consider  supporting  those  businesses  which  support  the  work  of  your  Preservation  Society. Bay  Pharmacy   (352)  357-­‐4341     Bronson  Ace  Hardware     (352)  357-­‐2366     Coldwell  Banker     Tyre  &  Taylor  Realty,  Inc.   (352)  357-­‐4100     Inspired  Designs     by  Sue  Hooper     (352)  589-­‐0867     Wall  Street  in  the  Dirt     (352)357-­‐5433    

Party Source  of  Eustis   (352)  357-­‐5700     Harden  –  Pauli  Funeral  Home     (352)  357-­‐4126     Premier  Pet  Solutions     by  Dana  Ellerby     (352)  460-­‐7409     Party  Servers  &  Catering  by  Joyce   407-­‐808-­‐0916       Jack  &  Andy’s  Electric     (352)  357-­‐4459    

Bills Prestige  Printing     (352)  589-­‐5833  

Classic Tents  &  Events   (352)  357-­‐7920  


Eustis Historical  Museum     &  Preservation  Society   536  North  Bay  Street   Eustis,  Florida  32726   Phone:    352-­‐483-­‐0046  

Rapture Air   (352)  735-­‐6611      

Merry Jewelers     (352)  589-­‐4321     Rick  Howe’s  Auto  Repair     (352)357-­‐9991     Paulhamus  Produce,  Inc.   (And  catering  service)   (352)357-­‐6284     Steve’s  Heating  &  A/C   (352)  636-­‐2064                                                Tom’s  Color  Bar   (352)483-­‐4247     United  Southern  Bank     (352)  589-­‐2121                          

Eustis Historical Museum Newsletter August 2012  
Eustis Historical Museum Newsletter August 2012  

August 2102 Newsletter for the Eustis Historical Mueum