Page 1

Iroquois County Fact Book 2017 Ashkum Beaverville Buckley Chebanse

Danforth Donovan Gilman Iroquois Cissna Park Loda Clifton Martinton Crescent City Milford

Onarga Papineau Sheldon Thawville Watseka Wellington Woodland


815-432-4948

DRALLE CHEVROLET BUICK GMC DRALLE CADILLAC CELEBRATING OUR 26TH YEAR IN WATSEKA! YOUR ONE-STOP SHOP FOR ALL THINGS CHEVY, BUICK, GMC AND CADILLAC!

WE'RE COMMITTED TO PROVIDING OUR CUSTOMERS WITH A GREAT EXPERIENCE, FROM THE MOMENT YOU STEP ON TO OUR LOT. WE BUILD

LONG-LASTING RELATIONSHIPS WITH OUR CUSTOMERS AND WE DO SO BY BEING THERE EVERY STEP OF THE WAY DURING YOUR VEHICLE OWNERSHIP

EXPERIENCE.

WE SERVICE ALL MAKES AND MODELS. WHETHER YOUR CAR IS IN NEED OF

ROUTINE MAINTENANCE OR REPAIRS, YOU CAN TRUST THAT YOU'LL RECEIVE QUALITY, CERTIFIED GM SERVICE AT OUR DEALERSHIP. TO SCHEDULE A SERVICE APPOINTMENT WITH US, PLEASE CALL (815) 701-9210.

815-432-4948 WWWW.DRALLEWATSEKA.COM Page 2

1090 EAST WALNUT ST. WATSEKA, ILLINIOS WWW.DRALLEWATSEKA.COM

Iroquois County Fact Book 2017


INDEX Iroquois County Elected Officials ...................................4 Iroquois County Officials ...................................5 Iroquois County Board ...................................6 Iroquois County Courts ...................................8 Iroquois Economic Development Association ...................................9 Cities, villages .................................10 Iroquois County chambers of commerce .................................32

Iroquois County Historical and Genealogical societies .................................33 Iroquois County cemetaries .................................34 Iroquois County library and park districts .................................35 Iroquois County churches .................................36 Iroquois County schools .................................37

History of Iroquois County Iroquois County is the only county in the United States having the name “Iroquois,” a name originally applied to a confederation of tribes of North American Indians. According to tradition, a band of Iroquois Indians was once surprised and defeated upon the banks of the river now known as the Iroquois, by a war party of Illinois Indians, hence the name of the county and the river. Iroquois County is bounded on the north by the county of Kankakee, on the east by the State of Indiana, on the south by Vermilion and Ford Counties, and on the west by Ford County. Iroquois County in area ranks third in the state, being 35 miles long and 32 miles wide, and containing 1,120 square miles, only 130 square miles less than the state of Rhode Island. This county is exceeded in size only by McLean and LaSalle Counties in Illinois. Watseka, the county seat, is located a few miles east of the center of the county. The territory included within the present boundaries of Iroquois County was subjected to various states of political evolution before the present county organization was perfected. Under the charter of 1609 and supported by General George Rogers Clark’s request, Virginia laid claim to all the country north and west of the Ohio River and organized it as the county of Illinois. In the year 1784, Virginia surrendered her claims

Please see HISTORY, page 38

Iroquois County Fact Book 2017

Page 3


Iroquois County elected officials The Iroquois County elected officials are County Clerk and Recorder Lisa Fancher, Gilman; County Treasurer Mindy Kuntz Hagan, Sheldon; County Sheriff Derek Hagen, Watseka; Regional Superintendent of Schools Gregg Murphy, Gilman; whose terms end in 2018 and Circuit Clerk Lisa Hines, Cissna Park; States Attorney Jim Devine, Watseka; Coroner Bill Cheatum, Watseka; whose terms end in 2020. Other office holders include EMA director Eric Ceci, highway engineer Joel Moore, supervisor of assessments and zoning administrator Bob Yergler, probation supervisor Barb King, public health department administrator Dee Schippert, finance director Anita Speckman, animal control administrator Hany Youssef, maintenance supervisor Chris Drake.

MINDY HAGAN

DEREK HAGEN

LISA HINES

JIM DEVINE

LISA FANCHER

BILL CHEATUM

Davis Senior Mobile Home Park

GILMAN AUTO PARTS KRAFT, INC.

512 South Crescent Gilman, Illinois 60938

•� Family Owned right on Route 1 & 24 East •� Within 2 miles of Everything in Town

•� 2 New Homes Available, or order to your taste •� Each Lot is approximately 40’ x 80’ •� Blacktop streets 30’-40’ wide •� RV spots available with full hook ups

Phone: 815-265-7737 “We Service & Repair All Makes And Models”

1 Aspen Ct., Watseka IL 60970

815-432-2669

www.DavisSeniorMobileHomePark.com Page 4

Iroquois County Fact Book 2017


Iroquois County officials

ERIC CECI

JOEL MOORE

ANITA SPECKMAN

DEE SCHIPPERT

CHRIS DRAKE

BARB KING

BOB YERGLER

HANY YOUSSEF

Crop Production Services

Fertilizers & Herbicides Custom Spraying

220 N. Clark St. Sheldon, IL

815-429-3015 Iroquois County Fact Book 2017

Washington St., Onarga, IL

815-268-4428 Page 5


Iroquois County Board The Iroquois County Board is made up of 20 members, with one member chosen by the board to be chairman of the board. There are four districts with five members elected from each district. The chairman of the board is John Shure. The vice chairman of the board is Dan Rayman. The clerk of the board is Lisa Fancher. The assistant to the county board is Amanda Longfellow. AMANDA LONGFELLOW

CHARLES ALT

KYLE ANDERSON

LYLE BEHRENDS

RUSSELL BILLS

KEVIN BOHLMANN

We’re Behind You

with the medical supplies you trust

•Home Oxygen •Hospital Beds •Power Chairs & Scooters •Mastectomy Forms & Bras •Braces

•CPAP/BIPAP & Supplies •Wheelchairs •Rollators & Walkers •Ostomy Products •Lift Chairs & Daily Living Aids •Lots More

110 S. Third St. Watseka, IL 815-432-2416

Thank You for Shopping Watseka Area Businesses Proud home of unique shops, restaurants, parks and historical county museum

200 N. Laird Lane in Watseka

815-432-6155 M-F 8am to 5pm

www.iroquoishomecare.com

Page 6

SERVING WATSEKA AREA FOR OVER 70 YEARS www.watsekachamber.org Iroquois County Fact Book 2017


Iroquois County Board

DONNA CROW

ERNEST CURTIS

CHAD MCGINNIS

MARVIN STICHNOTH

BARB OFFILL

LARRY HASBARGEN

SHERRY JOHNSON

VINCE LAMIE

DAN PURSLEY

DAN RAYMAN

JOHN SHURE

KEVIN COUGHENOUR

TROY KRUMWIEDE

MICHAEL MCTAGGART

(no photo available)

(no photo available)

(no photo available)

JED WHITLOW

ABR A Quality Service Provider for the Developmentally Disabled 107 N. Fourth St.

815-429-3007

Sheldon, IL

Through CHOICES disAbilities disAppear Iroquois County Fact Book 2017

Page 7


Iroquois County Courts The 21st Judicial Circuit Court (Third Appellate District) of Iroquois and Kankakee counties has general duties provided by statute and make up part of the Illinois Court System. The judges serving in Iroquois County Courts are James Kinzer and Michael Sabol. The bailiffs are Donnie King, Francis Thompson, Dan Sawyer and John Burch. The court security officer is Roger Lebeck. JAMES KINZER

MICHAEL SABOL

JOHN BURCH (no photo available)

FRANCIS THOMPSON

DAN SAWYER

ROGER LEBECK

DONNIE KING

Customer Satisfaction Pledge

In the Bank's Mission Statement, one of our stated objectives is to exceed customer expectations in quality service and value. When you become a customer, you have dedicated people striving to make sure you are delighted with the Bank's service. We pledge to you that we will be honest, courteous and friendly. If we make a mistake, we will admit it. If you are unhappy, we will do everything in our power to make it right. We will treat you as an individual and take special care to see that your individual situation is handled fairly.

T h e O pp o r t u n i t y B a n k | B AN K P R O SP E C T. CO M Page 8

Iroquois County Fact Book 2017


Iroquois County’s polling places Artesia — Township Building, 104 W. Main, Buckley Ash Grove — Township Building in Woodworth, 1492 E 1000 North Rd, Milford Ashkum I — Community Building Ashkum Coliseum, East Main St., Ashkum Ashkum II — Catholic Church Hall, 2700 N and 1500 E, L’Erable Beaver — Township Hall, West Third Street, Donovan Beaverville — Village Hall, 106 Donovan Ave., Beaverville Belmont I — Woodland Village Hall, East Main Street, Woodland Belmont II — American Legion House, 968 S. Fourth St., Watseka Belmont III — Watseka High School, 138 S. Belmont Ave., Watseka Chebanse I — Clifton Community Building, 330 N. 4th St., Clifton Chebanse II — Chebanse Community Center, 185 S. Chestnut St., Chebanse Concord — Town Hall, 104 W. Lincoln, Iroquois Crescent — Crescent City Community Center, 301 Main St., Crescent City Danforth — Community Center, West Jefferson St, Danforth Douglas I — City Hall, 215 N Central St., Gilman Douglas II — Ford-Iroquois Farm Bureau Building, 1381 S. Crescent, Gilman Fountain Creek — New Township Building, 200 N and 1660 E Iroquois — Community Center, 301 E. Main St., Crescent City Loda - Village Hall, East Washington Street, Loda

Lovejoy — Fire Department Building, East Main Street, Wellington Martinton — Fire House, 2800 North Road, Martinton Middleport I — Watseka City Hall, 201 Brianna Dr., Watseka Middleport II — Unit 9 School Unit Office, 1411 W. Lafayette, Watseka Middleport III — First Christian Church, 546 N. Sixth St., Watseka Middleport IV — Father Davern Parish Center, 217 E. Locust, Watseka Milford I — Milford Christian Church, 811 East Hickory, Milford Milford II — Community Center (Old Depot), 15 S. West Ave., Milford Milks Grove — Milks Grove Center, 3000 North 200 East, Clifton Onarga I — Onarga Christian Church, 721 W. Seminary Ave., Onarga Onarga II — Onarga Christian Church, 721 W. Seminary Ave., Onarga Papineau — Fire Station, 100 E. Taylor, Papineau Pigeon Grove — Cissna Park Village Hall, 109 W. Church St., Cissna Park Prairie Green — Fire Station, 300 North and 2800 East, Hoopeston Ridgeland — Iroquois West Upper Elementary School, 106 County Road, Thawville Sheldon I — Community Center, 140 S. 4th. Sheldon Sheldon II — Community Center, 140 S. 4th. Sheldon Stockland — Town Hall, Stockland

Iroquois Cafe Nick Henning, Regional Manager Frank Zumwalt, Vice President Jeff Tatro, Vice President Jeff Sobkoviak, Assistant Vice President, Risk Management Jason Rust, Crop Insurance Specialist Sue King, Sales & Service Specialist Kim Redenius, Sales & Service Specialist 332 E Walnut St | PO Box 445 | Watseka IL 60970 | 815-432-5431 | farmcreditIL.com

Iroquois County Fact Book 2017

Iroquois, IL

815-429-9098

• Daily Noon Specials Except on Saturdays • Serving a Complete Menu & Weekend Specials • Steaks, Burgers, Wings, Fish and more Open 7am-Midnight 7 days a week Page 9


Ashkum President of the Board: Paul G. Heideman Village Clerk: Donna K. Schmitz Village Treasurer: Krystal Alberts Trustees: April Lyons, Edward F. Tholen, Jeremy J. Beherns, Russell L. Hull, Shannon Meier, Jeffrey Hanson The village of Ashkum was named after a Potawatomi chief. It was laid out in 1856. It sits along U.S. Route 45. Ashkum has an Illinois State Police Department, District 21, within its borders. It has the Ashkum Coliseum, which has played host to many weddings and family functions.

(Right) Ashkum Coliseum (Below) Welcome to Ashkum next to the Illinois State Police, District 21 station

BERRY’S PROCESSING PLANT Retail Meats Custom Kill Blast Frozen For Your Freezer Convenience

Kat & Tim Thiele Ph. 815-432-3264

Page 10

522 E. Elm St. Watseka, IL 60970

Sheldon Public Library District

125 N. Fifth St.

Sheldon, IL

815-429-3521

M-W-F 1-6:30pm Tu-Th 10am-6:30pm Sat. 10am-3pm Proudly celebrating 100 Years 1917-2017 Iroquois County Fact Book 2017


Beaverville

President of the Board: Kathleen M. Hoover Village Clerk: Christopher Lareau Village Treasurer: Rhonda Emerson Trustees: Byron C. Fuelling, Joyce Arseneau, Maggie Duby, Michael T. Emerson, Dave Martell, Lori Arseneau

Beaverville was once known as St. Marie, founded by several Canadian families in 1851. In 1905 the village had to change its name when it was realized there was another town in Illinois known as St. Mary. The Beaverville name was adopted from the number of beavers which were known to be in the area. Today, the village is known for having the “Cathedral of the Cornfields”. It was built in 1909 and it is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

(Above) Community center (Below) St. Mary’s Catholic Church

Iroquois Market 106 W. Lincoln, Iroquois, IL 60945 (815) 429-3291

1420 S. Crescent St., Gilman, IL

Ph: 815-265-7204 www.alexlbr.com

Iroquois County Fact Book 2017

Open 7 days a week 8am-8pm “hometown store with hometown feel”

~ Hunt Brothers Pizza ~

Page 11


Buckley President of the Board: Sheree L. Stachura Village Clerk: J.C. Biggs Village Treasurer: Linda Marquis Trustees: Terry Whitebird, Ernie Hoopingarner, Shane Stachura, Becky Weisenbarn, Peggy Shockley, Keith Hartke The village of Buckley got its start in 1856 and lays over U.S. Route 45. Buckley is the home of the Dutch Masters baseball team, a team in the East Illinois League, which has seen its share of professional and semi-professional players play on its diamond.

(Above) Scheiwe Field, home of the Buckley Dutch Masters. (Below) American Legion Post 432 Memorial

•Local Ownership •Local Decisions •Financial Strength We’ve been your community bank since 1909!

Looking to plant your own roots? Visit our Mortgage Center Online:

ftsbank.com>Home Mortgage Application

(Free pre-approvals, check rates, personal assistance, variety of loan programs available.) Let us LEND you a helping hand!

145 East Fifth Avenue Clifton, IL 815-694-2329

Page 12

120 East Walnut Street Watseka, IL 815-432-2494

Iroquois County Fact Book 2017


Chebanse President of the Board: Michael McCray Village Clerk: Valerie D. Dannehl Village Treasuer: Douglas Bauer Trustees: Brian Moser, Doug Luecke, Ellen M. Yergler, Kody Egolf, Chad Geiken, Chad Verkler William Cissna owned many acres of land in the early 1880s. He, along with a few other men with notable names — William Clayton, William Goodwine, and J.B. Wilson — worked to get a railroad branch to connect with the CE&I railway. Cissna donated land for the city’s center park and financed several buildings to be built. The village was platted in 1882 and incorporated in 1891. Today, the village has its annual Old Settlers Days, an event which is one of the oldest consecutively conducted events within the state. The residents are also active in working to maintain and improve the village’s features, for example working together to improve the facilities at the center park.

(Above) Welcome to Chebanse (Left) Chebanse Civic Center (Below) Chebanse Town Hall

Anderson Excavating RON ANDERSON

2981 N 2200 E RD. MARTINTON, IL 60951

815-383-6903

• LAND LEVELING • BACKHOE WORK • DOZING • WATERWAY & TERRACE WORK • FOOTINGS & FOUNDATIONS

Iroquois County Fact Book 2017

Page 13


Cissna Park

President of the Board: Michael McCray Village Clerk: Valerie D. Dannehl Village Treasuer: Douglas Bauer Trustees: Brian Moser, Doug Luecke, Ellen M. Yergler, Kody Egolf, Chad Geiken, Chad Verkler William Cissna owned many acres of land in the early 1880s. He, along with a few other men with notable names — William Clayton, William Goodwine, and J.B. Wilson — worked to get a railroad branch to connect with the CE&I railway. Cissna donated land for the city’s center park and financed several buildings to be built. The village was platted in 1882 and incorporated in 1891. Today, the village has its annual Old Settlers Days, an event which is one of the oldest consecutively conducted events within the state. The residents are also active in working to maintain and improve the village’s features, for example working together to improve the facilities at the center park.

(Above) The park in the center of Cissna Park

WATSEKA PARK DISTRICT

Iroquois County Historical Society Old Courthouse Museum 103 W. Cherry St., Watseka, IL 60970

Located 1 block south of Rts. 1 and 24 on the corner of Cherry and Second St.

Calendar of annual events (call for dates & times)

110 South Third, Watseka, IL 60970 815-432-3931 www.watsekaparks.org

Programs for all age and skill levels • Holistic Classes • Adult Cardio Classes • Youth Soccer • Youth Basketball • After School Program • Toddler Program • Entertainment Programs • Birthday Party Packages • Summer Camps • Much, much more

Find Your Watseka Park District Where Fun Begins Page 14

April - Last Sunday

50+ Golden Wedding Anniversary Celebration

June

Garden Walk and Garden Faire

July - Harvest Daze

Farmer’s Market every Wednesday 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Junk in the Trunk every Wednesday 11 a.m.-4 p.m. (No fee to set up)

October

First full weekend Harvest Daze Woodworth Style Fish Fry Friday of Harvest Daze

Celebrating 50 Years 1967-2017

December

Christmas Tree Lane Christmas House Gallery Sounds of the Christmas Season Iroquois County Fact Book 2017


Clifton President of the Board: Andrew Winkel Village Clerk: Shannon James Village Treasurer: Sandra Tammen Trustees: Casey Hull, Jimmie Schoon, Brianne Ryan, Joseph Kolosky, Paul Hess, Randy Gigl The village of Clifton was platted in 1861. It is one of five communities in Iroquois County which has a swimming pool within its village limits. Today, village residents are active in keeping the village looking nice to those who drive along U.S. Route 45. A project to improve the space between the railroad tracks and the highway has continued. This Greenway in Clifton is used by locals as a walking trail and a nice place to stop and visit with one another.

(Right) Welcome to Clifton (Left) Clifton’s water tower (Below) Clifton Library (Below, right) The Greenway in Clifton

Shorty’s

Servicenter

815-432-0099

815/432-3288

Auto Service Needs

217 E. Walnut, Watseka Mon.-Sat.: 9am-1am Sun.: 11am-12am

• Casual Atmosphere • Daily Food and Drink Specials

• Friendly Staff • Reasonable Prices • Live Gaming!

Iroquois County Fact Book 2017

Fuels and Lubricants 313 E. Walnut Street P.O. Box 333 Watseka, IL 60970

Office

815/432-3282 Fax

815/432-3992

penceoil313@att.net www.penceoil.com

Page 15


Crescent City

President of the Board: Mark Rabe Village Clerk: Ruth Boyer Village Treasurer: Carolyn Rapp Trustees: Scott Schroeder, Scott Dirks, Jim Sorensen, Kimberly Lund, Steven M. Carley, vacancy The village of Crescent City was incorporated in Sept. 25, 1884. It made national news on Fathers Day of 1970, when a freight train derailed setting off a series of explosions in the business section and near a residential section of town. Eighteen businesses and 29 homes were lost. About 600 residents were ordered to evacuate by authorities as gas explosions from bursting tank cars threatened death and engulfed the community in flames. There were no fatalities, more than 60 people, mostly volunteer firefighters, suffered from burns and other injuries. There were more than 200 firemen, within 32 fire fighting units, who answered the call for help. There were also countless others who lent a hand in anyway they could. The village has a visitor stop near where the explosion happened dedicated to the horrible incident. The city since then has recovered and there are newer buildings dotting the downtown, which lies along U.S. Route 24. In fact, it was within a year before the town’s new post office was erected, and the first store within the new business district was ready for use. Local children attend Crescent City Grade School and there are parks on both the north and south side of town.

(Above) Crescent City’s memorial to its fire in 1970

We are Agriculture Loan Specialists!

FIRST STATE BANK OF FORREST Established 1914 Member FDIC

A Strong Friend for Your Family 113 E. Krack, Forrest, IL (815) 657-8248 115 N. Chestnut, Onarga, IL (815-268-7351 603 W. Oak, Fairbury, IL (815) 692-4321 www.firststatebankofforrest.com Page 16

Iroquois County Fact Book 2017


Danforth President of the Board: Larry L. Decker Village Clerk: Gerald H. Rieken Village Treasuer: Gerry Lunt Trustees: Gene Tammen, Lloyd Anderson, Judy Legan, Kyle Gray, vacancy, vacancy The village of Danforth was laid out in 1872, but a railroad switch had been put in in 1865, with a station soon after. The name Danforth comes from A.H. Danforth and George W. Danforth, who partnered to purchase land from the railroad company, enough land to develop into what is now Danforth Township. The land was wet, swampy land and the men invited Hollanders to help work the land as they would in their own country. The Dutch Reformed Church members became a neighborhood of their own, and Dutch mills dotted the area. Today, Danforth stays proud of its heritage, having formed its own historical society to help keep the past alive.

(Left, above) Danforth Historical Society (Left) Danforth Post Office (Left, below) Danforth Village Hall

We Deliver Superior Coverage!

Gilman Fertilizer Co. 108 S. Main St., Gilman, IL

815-265-4506 Iroquois County Fact Book 2017

Direct mailed to households in: Jasper, Newton, Benton, White, Iroquois, Carroll, Warren & Fountain!

81,834

Total Shopper Distribution!

FOR MORE INFORMATION: 1492 E. Walnut St., Watseka, IL • 815.432.5227 • www.timesrepublic.info

Page 17


Donovan

President of the Board: Ken Ward Village Clerk: Holly Ward-Collins Village Treasurer: Donna Arseneau Trustees: LouWonna Snodgrass, Andrew Norder, Mandy Wolfe, Lorin DePatis, Megan Parks-Webster, Adam Whitson

Donovan was platted in 1873. In 1882 a plot of land was donated by John and Anna Donovan to build the first church, the same building used today. The area was heavily settled by Swedish immigrants and the church offers several festivals honoring Donovan’s history and Swedish traditions.

(Right, top) Donovan High School (Above) Donovan Elementary School (Below) Post office

Page 18

Iroquois County Fact Book 2017


Gilman Mayor: Rick Theesfeld City Clerk: Susan Morris City Treasurer: Sheila Johnson 1st Ward Alderman: William (Bill) D. Kraft, Michael McGehee 2nd Ward Alderman: Fred B. Voigt, Steven Fancher 3rd Ward Alderman: Randy Eimen, John Elliott The Illinois Central Railroad was built from Chicago to DelRey in 1853. A mile south of what is now known as Gilman was a section house named “Tarbox”. The Peoria and Oquawka Railroad was building east from Peoria to Indiana. City founders donated 40 acres for a town site. The name “Gilman” was the name of a large stockholder in the railroad company. The area was platted in 1858. A post office named “Douglas City” was established in March of that year, but a few months later it was changed to match “Gilman”. Gilman is one of two Iroquois County communities to be incorporated as a city. It sits along Interstate 57, as well at the junction of U.S. Routes 24 and 45 and at a railroad junction. Every five years it celebrates a welcoming home event called “Old Boys and Girls Reunion”, and has various other events throughout the year.

Iroquois County Fact Book 2017

(Above) American Legion Post Memorial (Below) Mann Park

Page 19


Iroquois President of the Board: George Runkle Village Clerk: Edward Armold Village Treasurer: Jacqueline Scurlock Trustees: Gary Scurlock, Joseph E. Vaughn, Troy Martin, Everett L. Butler Jr., Gary L. Strahl, Randy Luecke

(Below) Dunning Park

The village of Iroquois, some could say, is where it all began for Iroquois County. In 1822 Gurdon Hubbard was a fur trader who set up a post near the present town of Iroquois. He began the first farming operation in the county with 80 acres, at the site then called Bunkum. In 1836 Iroquois was platted, and its location along the Iroquois River was of great importance and use at the time. Unfortunately, there are no buildings erected before 1850 still standing in the community. Bunkum had always had a tradition of celebrating the Fourth of July. There are reports of the annual celebration going back to the early 1800s. One of the most publicized Fourth of July celebration was in 1914, when more than 12,000 people attended the event. The tradition of the Bunkum fireworks continued through the early 2010s, but there is continued talk of starting up the celebration again.

Dennis & Darin Clatterbuck Owners

Office 815.432.6105 Fax 815.432.6107

227 W. Walnut Watseka, IL 60970

See our Model Home at: 235 N. Jefferson (Rt. 1 N), Watseka, IL 60970 Phone: 815-432-2053

cctireauto@sbcglobal.net

Tires – Complete lines Brake Repair A/C Service Oil Change Service Alignment & Suspension Service Electronic Diagnostics and Tune Up On The Farm Tire Service

Page 20

When you are buying or building a home, you want to know that your plans and dreams are in the best hands possible. We have built our reputation by offering you the best quality home with dedication to homeowner satisfaction. From modest ranches to elegant two-story homes - stick built to system built - each home is one-of-a-kind.

We are locally owned and proud to employ local craftsmen and purchase materials locally Iroquois County Fact Book 2017


Loda President of the Board: Carol J. Arseneau Village Clerk: Regina Ptacek Village Treasurer: Myles Reck Trustees: Jon Boone, Richard Manzke, Ronda R. Breeden, Cathy Tittle, Joyce Gharst, Patricia Allen Loda was platted in 1855. The Illinois Central Railroad named its station Loda, but the post office took several titles, including “Mixville” and “Oakalla”. Those names never took and the post office officially was renamed “Loda”. The Loda Distillery, began in 1859, was a big money mak- ing business in Loda at the time. It made what was known as “high wines”. This business operated until 1873. Loda has one of the five National Register of Historical Places in Iroquois County: The A. Heer and E.E. Smith Public Library, public library which dates back to 1858. The building was completed in 1897. In 1954 a wooded area west of Loda, along Spring Creek, was turned into a residential area named Bayles Lake, with Lake Iroquois created just north of it in 1968.

(Above) American Legion Post 503 Memorial

Independent Everything you need - Under one roof – For one affordable monthly fee! All Utilities & Services Included (Except Phone)

A better way to bank.

Iroquois - Main office (815) 429-3337

Gilman (815) 265-4707

Ashkum (815) 698-2346

Sheldon (815) 429-3331

Beaverville (815) 435-2036

Watseka (815) 432-4198

www.iroqbank.com

Iroquois County Fact Book 2017

• RESTAURANT QUALITY MEALS SERVED BUFFET STYLE • WEEKLY LAUNDRY • WEEKLY HOUSEKEEPING • 24 HR. EMERGENCY SYSTEM • LOCAL TRANSPORTATION • PLANNED ACTIVITIES • EXERCISE ROOM • INDOOR SHUFFLEBOARD • LIBRARY • CHAPEL • BILLIARD ROOM • INDOOR PARKING • BEAUTY / BARBER SHOP

Kingdon Gardens Senior Living Center Rt. 1 & 24 West, Watseka (815) 432-1145

Page 21


Martinton President of the Board: Joe LaFond Village Clerk: Patricia Butler Village Treasurer: Michael Butler Trustees: Bruce Langellier, John Dutour, Jeffrey Webster, Dewana (Dawn) Brault, Chad Nesselrodt, Cory Butler In 1856 John Martin and E.W. Beckett set up a trading point, calling the community Martinburg. The name was changed because of another community which had the same name. With the C&EI Railroad set up a depot about two miles south of the once Martinburg, businesses migrated to the new stop. The original settlement became known as “Old Martinton” or “Old Burg”. The new Martinton was plotted and incorporated in 1875.

(Right) St. Martin Catholic Church (Below) Ball diamond

CR’S - Best Deal in Watseka

• 15 Upgraded Furnished Studio Apartments • On site management • 24 hour security systems • Cable, utilities, wi-fi included • Long & short term stay • Laundry available on site • Plenty of parking

Ground floor available for development For more info:

CR’s Apartments Page 22

Celebrating 20 Years

815432-2070

2nd month rent 1/2 off

Route 45 South, P.O. Box 309 Gilman, IL 60938 800-424-0756 fifb@sbcglobal.net

Your Legislative Voice For Agriculture Iroquois County Fact Book 2017


Milford President of the Board: David Maro Village Clerk: Tricia Huff Village Treasurer: Mary Ann Kelly Trustees: vacancy, Kevin Woodby, Adam Clutteur, Ernest L. McKay, Fred L. Hines Jr., Cory D. Birch Milford was settled as “Mill on the Ford” in 1830, and it was platted in 1836. It lays along the Sugar Creek. The original mill was used by many in the early “neighborhood”, because at that time the nearest mill was 30 miles away. Milford was once the county seat, and it also welcomed the Iroquois County Fair at one time. Milford was also the home of the first woman elected to the U.S. Congress, Jessie Sumner, elected in 1939 and serving until 1947.

Iroquois County Fact Book 2017

(Below) Milford Recreational Area

(Above) Old Depot (Below) Milford Township Library

Page 23


Onarga

President of the Board: Shane Cultra Village Clerk: Stephanie Von Drehle Village Treasurer: Doris Hubner Trustees: Claudia Ramirez, Angie Martinez, Matt J. Clark, Donald Fred Walraven, Holly Zirkle, Andrew McCann Onarga got its start in 1854. Its name comes from an Native American chief’s daughter by the name of Onarga. Onarga was the home of the Grand Prairie Seminary, a school sponsored by the Methodist church, from 18631918, replaced by public township high schools. The trustees of the school opened Onarga Military School in 1918, a time when World War I was upset- ting homes, and closed in 1971. The village is also the home of Allan Pinkerton, a founder of a detective agency and former agent in charge of President Abraham Lincoln’s safety. In fact, his home, named “The Larches” welcomed the president, as well as generals McClellan, Grant and Sherman.

(Above) Onarga Dunham Park (Below) Onarga Public Library

MSL BENEFITS AND CONSULTANTS Member of Clemens Corp. Benefit Division

Michael S. Lynch 112 E. Walnut St. Suite B Post Office Box 303 Watseka, IL 60970

Bus: 815-432-2414 Fax: 815-432-2437 Email: michael@mslbenefits.com

Page 24

Iroquois County Fact Book 2017


Papineau President of the Board: Michael Johnson Village Clerk: vacancy Village Treasurer: Teresa L. Gash Trustees: Nicholas McFatridge, Randy Bowers, Myron Munyon, Dale Emerson, Jay Salm, William “Noble” Carroll Once named “Jones Settlement” and “Democrat”, French Canadians began to arrive and settled along Beaver Creek near the present day Papineau. The original name for Papineau Township was “Weygandt” but the French requested the name be changed to Papineau, named for a French Canadian patriot who led an unsuccessful rebellion against the British in 1838. The village was platted in 1871 and incorporated in 1974.

(Above) Papineau Post Office (Below) Papineau Village Park

WE BELIEVE

IN OUR COMMUNITY.

IROQUOISFED.COM MEMBER FDIC

Iroquois County Fact Book 2017

Page 25


Sheldon

President of the Board: Jeffrey Mabbitt Village Clerk: Catherine Mabbitt Village Treasurer: Susan Eastburn Trustees: Jason Jackson, vacancy, Bill Milan, Nicole Harris, Joel Davenport, Scott Demarse

In 1860 a TP&W switch was placed in Sec. 2., T. 26N. R. 11W and it was called Sheldon. A village grew around that switch, with the beginning source of income being grain sales. The plat was composed in 1860, but the town wasn’t incorpo- rated until 1871. There is a memorial marker long U.S. Route 24 noting the settlement of Jesse Eastburn, Sr., whose family was the first to settle in the area in 1832. Its downtown was once busselling with U.S. Route 24 paved through it. Now, the highway cuts right at the village limits on the east. But Sheldon did have a hand in organizing a country club in 1922. About 3 1/2 miles west of Sheldon lays She- Wa-Mi, once a cooperation between Sheldon, Watseka and Milford. Today, baseball is on the minds of many local residents and there continues to be more and more improvements made to the ball diamonds on the westside of town.

Aluminum Soffit & Rainware

BEAVERVILLE HARDWARE

Established 1863

ABSTRACTS - TITLE INSURANCE - CLOSINGS Hardware & Farm Supplies

Beaverville, IL • 815-435-2044 • www.beavervillehardware.com

Mon-Fri 7-6 • Sat 7-5

Page 26

Iroquois Title Company Phone: (815) 432-4929 Our Business Is To Serve Your Real Estate Needs

101 East Cherry Street Watseka, Illinois 60970

Fax: (815) 432-6019 - E-Mail: iroqtitle@maxwire.net - www.iroquoistitle.com

Iroquois County Fact Book 2017


Thawville President of the Board: Brenna Hildenbrand Village Clerk: Skylee Crawford Village Treasurer: Jan Monk Trustees: Elizabeth Wilson, Casandra Jacobs, Paul Tjarks, Robert Lange, Judy A. Wilson, Rachel Zick Thawville was plotted in 1872. It sits as the only village in Ridgeland Township, and it lays very near the county’s border with Ford County. The Illinois Central Railroad runs through the village and its sits off of State Route 54. Thawville is the home of Andy Freehill, who authored The Ontology of the Living Deity.

(Above) Thawville’s water tower (Left, above) Thawville park (Left) Thawville Post Office

Iroquois County Genealogical Society

Carma Anderson, Owner

andersoncarma@yahoo.com

103 W. Cherry St. Watseka, IL 60970

Phone: 815-432-3730 Email: iroqgene@yahoo.com Friend us on Follow our Blog: oldcourthouse.blogspot.com

WEB: http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ilicgs Iroquois County Fact Book 2017

Gifts • Home Decor •Candles • Kid’s Items Jewelry • Seasonal Decor • Florals 106 East Walnut •� Watseka, IL 60970 Tel: 815.432.2815 • Fax: 815.432.2817

Page 27


Watseka Mayor: John Allhands City Clerk: Amanda Hibbs City Treasurer: Carolyn DeLahr 1st Ward Alderman: Mark Garfield, Brandon Barragree 2nd Ward Alderman: Charles DeWitt, Dennis Cahoe 3rd Ward Alderman: Beverly J. Foster, Rick Elliott 4th Ward Alderman: Rob Hoffman, Mary “Monna” Ulfers Watseka was named after Princess Wat-ch-e-kee, an Indian woman who had married Gurdon Hubbard, who is named as the first white settler in what is now Iroquois County. The area was incorporated in 1867. It is located at the junction of U.S. Route 24 and State Route 1, and is almost the physical center of the county. It’s the largest city in the county and has become the county seat. It also is the home to the county’s historical society and genealogical society within the county’s museum, the Old Courthouse Museum. The old courthouse and the Old Union Depot are two of the five places listed on the National Registry of Historical places. Today, the city hosts several annual festivals and makes use of the Watseka Theatre, a 1931 art deco structure. It has a chamber of commerce and an active park district, which cares for the city’s swimming pool.

(Top) Old Union Depot (Above) Donovan Park

JOHN ALLHANDS

BEV FOSTER

BRANDON BARRAGREE

RICK ELLIOTT

MONNA ULFERS

CAROLYN DELAHR

ROB HOFFMAN

CHARLES DEWITT

MARK GARFIELD

DENNIS CAHOE

AMANDA HIBBS

Page 28

Iroquois County Fact Book 2017


Putting Well Within Reach…

Watseka Riverside Healthcare’s Watseka Campus… Primary care providers, medical specialists, comprehensive testing and diagnostic services as well as occupational health services – all in one convenient, welcoming location. Primary Care for the Entire Family

WorkForce Health

Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Appointments available on certain days each month.

Pre-employment physicals, DOT physicals, drug and alcohol screenings.

Diagnostic and Imaging Center

Diabetes Wellness

We accept all physicians’ orders for labs, x-ray, stress echoes, CT scans and testing. Walk-in and scheduled services provided.

Certified Diabetes Educators provide resources to those living with diabetes.

Medical Specialists

Watseka’s Primary Care Providers and Specialists… Sadie Braun, AuD Audiology Dr. Nha Huynh Cardiology Dr. Paul Khaper Family Medicine

LaRee Shule, NP Family Medicine Dr. Gretchen Williams General Surgery Dr. Mehmet Sipahi Hematology & Oncology

Dr. Ahsan Basha Hematology & Oncology Karen Verrill, NP Hematology & Oncology Dr. Bruce Dodt Neurology

Dr. Charles Harvey Neurosurgery Brant Balthazor, PA Neurosurgery Kristin Balthazor, PA-C Neurosurgery

Karim Bouferrache, PA-C Neurosurgery Dr. Jun Kim Obstetrics/Gynecology Dr. Ahamed Kutty Pulmonology

Dr. Firas Sibai Rheumatology Brenda Lamping, NP Wound Center

Watseka Campus Harold & Jean Miner Outpatient Center 1490 E. Walnut Street | Watseka, IL 60970 (815) 432-7693 | RiversideHealthcare.org aCCEPtINg NEW PatIENtS Most major insurances accepted, see website for complete list. Iroquois County Fact Book 2017

For more info contact Jennifer Nasers, Manager, at jnasers@RHC.net. Page 29


President of the Board: Ronald Cappellano Village Clerk: Betty McClure Village Treasurer: Cheryl Gillins Trustees: Hiram Crawford, Darrin Brewster, Raymond Puffenbarger, Kenneth Case, Tyson Shreeves, Ray Langellier

Wellington

Among the youngest communities in Iroquois County, the village of Wellington was organized in 1903. It was laid out in 1872, though. In fact, it didn’t have street signs until 1970. It sits in Lovejoy Township, and is about a mile from the main highway of State Route 1.

Furnishing homes in and around Iroquois County for over 40 years.

We’re putting peace of mind in range. Dick Arie

When you are looking to insure your auto, home, farm, crops or commercial business give us a call or stop by. We will work with you to find the best insurance to suit your needs.

Andrew Arie

Choose from these well-known companies:

Name brands include •Whirlpool •Maytag •Amana •KitchenAid •Schrock Cabinets •Sealy Mattresses •Mohawk •Congoleum •Broyhill •Best •Liberty •Lane

Travelers - Progressive - Grinnell Allstate - Safeco - Mercury RCIS - Farmers Mutual Hail

108 E. Oak St. Watseka

234 N. Jefferson, Watseka, IL

815-432-5448

815-432-4208

M-F 8:30am - 6pm; Sat. 8:30am - 4pm Closed Sun; Other times by appointment

Page 30

Iroquois County Fact Book 2017


President of the Board: Eric J. Morales Village Clerk: Lori Dodson Village Treasurer: Robin Bohlmann Trustees: Matt Ailey, Marleen Purdin, Becky Pries, Kathy Edwards, Joshua Hoy, Jamie McGahan Woodland was platted in 1876. The village is known for having a large number of trains pass through, and stop within its boundaries, with sometimes an occasional train conductor getting out to get something to drink next to the post office. The still operational clay quarry was once a large part of Woodland’s economy. In fact, old steam equipment can still be found within the quarry. Woodland continues to look to improve itself, with great interest in continuing to make additions to its parks.

Woodland

(Top) Woodland Post Office (Above) Woodland Town Hall

MARY’S EMPORIUM “A Wee Bit of Everything”

800 East Walnut. Watseka, IL 60970

815-432-1100 Hours: M-Th 10-5:30, F 10-5, Sat. 9-3, Sun. Closed www.illianabackyardfun.com

• Pools • Spas • Gazebos • Outdoor Grills • Flags • Jewelry • Wrought Iron Concrete Statues • Memorial Gifts

• Seasonal & Everyday Items • Candles • Dips & Soup Mixes • Pictures & Picture Frames • Wine Glasses • Beach Decor

Iroquois County Fact Book 2017

CLOSEOUTS GIFT IDEAS COLLECTIBLES Link & Food Stamps accepted. 132 W. Walnut, Watseka, IL

815.432.2247 • Mon-Sat 10-6; Sun 12-4

Service Is Our Business Insurance

Real Estate

The Williamson Agency 125 East Grove, Sheldon, Ill.

815-429-3767

TIM WILLIAMSON, MANAGING BROKER Cell 815-228-3757 RICK LeSAGE, SALES ASSOC. Residence 815-486-7466 SCOTT WILLIAMSON - 815-383-0292

Page 31


Iroquois Economic Development Association The Iroquois Economic Development Association (IEDA) is a people-oriented organization working constantly to improve the quality of life and to expand the economic opportunities for the citizens of Iroquois County. As a non-profit corporation, IEDA is able to focus on helping job creating businesses locate and remain in our county with no cost whatsoever for their services. The members at IEDA aggressively seek to retain existing businesses as well as attract new retail, service, and manufacturing companies. They offer a variety of financial incentives that can be quite helpful to new, expanding, or relocating companies. The association has a diverse and highly qualified board of directors made up of educators, bankers, and business and local government leaders from all areas of the county. Ken Barragree is the executive director of IEDA. Iroquois County is an excellent location with short drives and open roads from Champaign, Bloomington, Lafayette, Danville, Chicago, Peoria, and Indianapolis. The county is 60 miles south of Chicago and 30 miles north of Champaign-Urbana with easy access to several good

highways. Illinois 1 & US 24 meet and transit thru Watseka, the county seat, and Interstate 57 crosses north/ south through the county as well and passes near several progressive communities. Iroquois County is the third largest area wise in the state with a total area of 1,117 square miles and boasts one of the most progressive and productive agricultural areas in the entire country. Iroquois County offers a rich mixture of agriculture, business and manufacturing among stable, rural communities. Especially enticing is the solid contingent of ready and able workers with good old fashioned rural-based work ethics and solid family values. Over the past 20 years, as with many midwestern areas, takeovers and foreign sourcing have cost Iroquois County some of its key employers. As a result, many of the county’s displaced workers have been forced to travel some distances to find suitable employment. The Iroquois Economic Development Association, with the help of other progressive local groups, has been working hard to reverse that trend, and most of these honest, hard-working residents are anxious to come home to work.

IEDA representatives are available to assist any company considering locating in Iroquois County. There are numerous buildings and site opportunities available in Iroquois County. Email ida@co.iroquois.il.us or call 815-432-0072 to talk about some of those locations. A wide range of financial incentives are also potentially available. Even though “grants” to privately held companies can be difficult to obtain, there may be assistance from local, state, and federal governments as well. Some of the potential financial assistance programs include: . Tax Credit Programs These programs are designed to provide future tax credits when some types of investments in job-creating activities are implemented. . Tax Abatement Programs Some taxing bodies will forgive a portion of the taxes to encourage new companies to locate within their taxing district. Tax Incremental Financing This program allows refunding of a portion of the property tax increment (increase) that is created when

IEDA EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR KEN BARRAGREE a development or expansion adds to the existing real estate value. . Revolving Loan Funds These may be available from local city governments and/or Iroquois County government. These are typically lower interest bridge loans based on the number of proposed jobs to be created. . Industrial Revenue Bonds Bonds can be purchased by local entities at below market level rates to provide funding to support significant industrial expansions..

Iroquois County chambers of commerce

Iroquois County Chamber of Commerce PO Box 13 Gilman, IL 60938 815-265-4818 www.iroquoiscountychamber.com

Watseka Area Chamber of Commerce 110 S. Third St. Watseka, Illinois 815-432-2416 watsekachamber.org

Miller’s Auto Repair 255 N. Jefferson • Watseka

See Mark for all your automotive needs. - tuneups - brakes - and much more! General Auto Repair

Same Family / Same Great Service For Over 45 Years

815-432-3565 Hours: Mon.-Fri. 8 a.m.-5 p.m.

Page 32

Onarga Chamber of Commerce Onarga, Illinois onargachamber.com

WATSEKA MUTUAL INSURANCE CO. Roger Schuldt Agency - Watseka Iroquois Insurance - Watseka, Danville Arie Insurance - Watseka Williamson Agency - Sheldon King-Danforth Agency - Cissna Park Insurance Center - Cissna Park Terry Schuldt Insurance - Onarga 4 Corners Insurance Agency - Rankin Central Insurance Agency - Clifton Fiscal Insurance Concepts - Bradley Wehling Insurance Agnecy - Beecher

Reinsured with Grinnell Mutual Reinsurance Co.

Iroquois County Fact Book 2017


Iroquois County Historical Society and Genealogical Society The mission of the Iroquois County Historical Society is to bring together those people interested in history, especially of the Iroquois County area. The society’s major function would be to discover and collect any material that would help establish or illustrate the history of the area. It will display the county’s history to arouse interest in the past. Preservation of this material is also key in its mission. The Old Courthouse Museum is operated by the Iroquois County Historical Society, a not-for-profit corporation.      The Historical Museum and Genealogical Society archives are located at 103 W. Cherry St. in Watseka, one block south of US Hwy 24. The archives are open each business day from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. Publications are available in the Historical Society Gift Shop as well as in The Genealogy Room in the same building. These include many cemetery records. Both groups put on a number of events all throughout the year, including cemetery walks, a fall festival (Harvest Daze), living history lessons, garden walks, informational sessions, concerts and holiday programs.

(Left) There are more than 75,000 obituaries within the genealogical society.

Among the historical society’s featured rooms at the museum are (left) a general store, (right) jail, (right, above) antique dresses and (right, top) a school house.

Milford Building & Loan Assn. SB

Creative Office Systems, Inc. OFFICE PRODUCTS, FURNITURE & PRINTING

131 E. Jones Milford, IL 60953 Member FDIC

815-889-4140 Craig, Rod, Karen, Cheryl, Nancy & Jeanne Iroquois County Fact Book 2017

105 North Second Street Watseka, Illinois 60970 orders@coswatseka.com Lee Elliott President

Phone: 815-432-4974 800-258-3375 Fax: 815-432-6002

Page 33


Iroquois County cemeteries Name of cemetery — Township Amity — Lovejoy Apostolic Christian — Fountain Creek Apostolic (original) — Fountain Creek Arseneau — Beaverville Ash Grove — Ashkum Ashkum – Ashkum Assumption — Ashkum Barden — Danforth Baron — Papineau Beaver — Beaver Beaver Creek — Papineau Beckwith — Onarga Belmont — Belmont Berg — Martinton Bickel-Yates — Ashkum Body — Belmont Bookless — Concord Bowsher — Beaver Brown Hill — Papineau Carson — Danforth Caveny — Iroquois Chamberlain — Middleport Chebanse — Chebanse Chess — Ash Grove Cissna Park — Ash Grove Clifton — Chebanse Courtright — Concord Crozier — Middleport Danforth Lutheran — Danforth Darby — Ash Grove Davis — Onarga Del Rey — Onarga Driftwood — Milford Eastburn — Concord Engelbracht — Ash Grove Enslyn — Concord Evans, Thomas — Martinton Evergreen — Belmont Evergreen — Chebanse Fairview — Belmont Flesher — Iroquois Floral Hill — Lovejoy Frame — Onarga Gaffield — Concord Garrett — Middleport GAR (Grand Army) — Mid-

Page 34

dleport Gilman — Douglas Glenwood — Ash Grove Grant, J.H. Memorial — Beaver Greenridge — Douglas Greentown — Martinton Hatfield — Middleport Henry —Loda Immanuel Lutheran — Ash Grove Indian Burial Ground — Artisia Iroquois Memorial Park — Belmont Jefferson Point — Onarga Johnson — Crescent Jones — Papineau Julian — Sheldon Keen — Belmont Kirby — Danforth L’Erable Catholic — Ashkum Leckie — Loda Lehigh — Onarga Liberty — Concord Lisk — Artisia Lister — Sheldon Longshore — Belmont Lyman — Middleport Magee — Middleport Maple Grove — Milford Milford Old Town — Milford Milk’s Grove — Milks Grove Mormon/Benson — Artisia Morris Chapel — Concord Mt. Olivet — Martinton Mud Creek — Ash Grove Nilson — Milford Oak Hill — Middleport Oak Ridge — Papineau Old Burg — Martinton Old Middleport — Middleport Old Milford — Milford Old Texas — Concord Onarga — Onarga Pangburn — Onarga Papineau — Papineau Pickerell Mill — Milford Pierce/Pearce — Iroquois Pine Ridge — Loda Pineview — Belmont Pitch-In — Ash Grove Prairie Dell — Concord

Prairie Mound — Ash Grove Prairie View — Crescent Quaker — Ash Grove Reformed Church — Danforth Roberts — Middleport Rosenberger — Milford Rothgeb — Milford St. John’s — Artisia St. John’s Lutheran — Ash Grove St. John’s Baptist — Ashkum St. John Lutheran — Danforth St. Joseph — Papineau St. Mary’s — Douglas St. Mary — Beaverville St. Mary & Joseph — Chebanse St. Paul Lutheran — Ash Grove St. Peter’s — Chebanse St. Peter’s Evangelical Lutheran — Crescent Schroeder-Gierke — Martin-

ton Schwer — Ash Grove Sheldon — Sheldon Sherrill — Middleport Spence — Ashkum Sturdevant — Ash Grove Sugar Creek — Stockland Swedish — Beaver Tegge — Martinton Thawville — Ridgeland Thomas — Milford Trinity Lutheran — Ash Grove Troup — Middleport unknown mound — Martinton Vennum — Milford Washington — Middleport Webster — Concord Wenger — Douglas West Watseka — Middleport Whiteman — Concord Wilson — Iroquois Wilson-Yates — Ashkum Woodland — Artisia

Iroquois County Fact Book 2017


Iroquois County park and library districts Park Districts in Iroquois County Douglas Township Park District President: Melody Eimen, Gilman, 2017 Vice president: Pat Short, Gilman, 2019 Secretary: John Smith, Gilman, 2021 Commissioners: Jay Kuipers, Gilman, 2021; Kevin Bull, Gilman, 2017

Milford Township Park District President: Jan Lavicka, Milford, 2017 Commissioners: Randy Hiltz, Milford, 2017; Jill Brown, Milford, 2017 Secretary (appointed): Gloria Schleef, Milford

Watseka Park District President: Todd Oster, Watseka, 2017 Vice president Rich Moyer, Watseka, 2017 Treasurer: Christopher Both, Watseka, 2021 Secretary: Brett LaMie, Watseka, 2019 Commissioner: Don Pavlak, Watseka, 2021

Libraries in Iroquois County Central Citizens’ Library President: Robert Lemenager, Clifton, 2017 Vice president: Wanda Thompson, Ashkum, 2019 Treasurer: Scott Senffner, Clifton, 2017 Secretary: Lavonne K. Gillespie, Ashkum, 2019 Trustees: Ann Blasey, Clifton, 2017; David Schafer, Chebanse, 2017; Lois J. Phelps, Ashkum, 2019

Cissna Park Community Library District President: Larry Hofbauer, Cissna Park, 2021 Vice president: Lynn Hasselbring, Cissna Park, 2017 Treasurer: Lois Steiner, Buckley, 2017 Secretary: Elaine Young, Cissna Park, 2019 Trustees: Charles R. Alt, Cissna Park, 2019; Jeannie Seggebruch, Cissna Park, 2017; Emily Tuttle, Cissna Park, 2021

Clifton Public Library District President: Victoria L. Shell, Clifton, 2017

Vice president: vacancy, 2019 Treasurer: Julie Kolosky, Clifton, 2017 Secretary: Jill Rieken, Clifton, 2021 Trustees: Sara Faulkner, Clifton, 2021; Paulette Jarvis, Clifton, 2019; vacancy, 2017

Gilman-Danforth District Library President: William Stahlschmidt, Gilman, 2017 Vice president: Gerogine Vogrich, Gilman, 2017 Secretary-treasurer: Sharon Newman, Danforth, 2019 Trustees: Lynne Olson, Gilman, 2017; Maureen St. Peter, Gilman, 2017; Jill Brockman-Cummings, Danforth, 2019; Janet Elliott, Gilman, 2019

Hoopeston Public Library District President: Tony Hasbargen, Hoopeston, 2021 Vice president: Lori Eells, Rossville, 2019 Treasurer: Lawrence B. Jahn, Hoopeston, 2021 Secretary: Janet B. Crouch, Hoopeston, 2017 Correspondence secretary: Sharlyn Miller, Hoopeston, 2019 Trustees: Rita Carter, Hoopeston, 2019; Wayne

King, Rankin, 2017

Loda Township Library President: Betty H. Healey, Loda, 2017 Vice president: Patricia Hamby, Loda, 2017 Secretary: Susan T. Lamb, Loda, 2019 Treasurer: Nancy Johnson, Loda, 2019 Trustees: Kay Houtzel, Loda, 2017; Sybil Kellogg, Loda, 2017; Beckie Green, Loda, 2019

Milford District Library President: Gene Ochs, Milford, 2019 Vice president: Amy Jo Crawford, Milford, 2019 Secretary: Naomi Christensen, Goodwine, 2017 Treasurer: James Reutter, Milford, 2017 Trustees: Rita Moenck, Milford, 2019; Jeanne VanHoveln, Milford, 2019; Deb Handy, Milford, 2017

Onarga Community Public Library District President: John Bank, Onarga, 2017 Vice president: Jennifer Cook, Onarga, 2017 Treasurer: Connie Cox, Onarga, 2019 Secretary: Susan Wells,

Thawville, 2019 Trustees: Shirley Reed, Onarga, 2017; Maureen Kietzman, Onarga, 2019; Ray Smith, Onarga, 2019

Sheldon Public Library District President: Kevin G. Hamrick, Donovan, 2017 Vice president: Jeffrey Pittman, Sheldon, 2017 Treasurer: Suzanne Light, Sheldon, 2019 Secretary: Vickie Webster, Sheldon, 2017 Trustees: Barb Kusman, Sheldon, 2019; Sharon Knisley, Sheldon, 2019; vacancy, 2019

Watseka Public Library President: Rhonda Pence, Watseka, 2016 Vice president: Mary Bohlmann, Watseka, 2018 Treasurer: Richard Dickte, Watseka, 2016 Secretary: Debi Custer, Watseka, 2018 Director: Kim Zumwalt, Watseka, appointed Trustees: Kris Lundquist, Watseka, 2016; Troy Simpson, Watseka, 2016; John Tonner, Watseka, 2016; Kay Johnson, Watseka, 2018; John Dowling, Watseka, 2018

WAT S E K A

701 E. Walnut Watseka, IL 60970 815.432.2000

Iroquois County Fact Book 2017

M-F 7-5:30 Sat 7-1 Sun CLOSED

116 W. Walnut St. Watseka, IL 60970 815-432-4060 Mon.-Sat. 9am-6pm

Page 35


Iroquois County church services ASHKUM:

Ashkum United Methodist Church, 208 N. Third, Pastor Anita Munden. Worship Service 9:00 a.m., Fellowship Time 10 a.m. Zion Lutheran Church, Corner of Washington & 3rd. Pastor Don Gillespie.Worship services Sunday 9 a.m. Adult and Children Sunday School 10:15 a.m. Assumption B.V.M. Church, 204 N. Second Street, 815-698-2262. Pastor, Father Doug Hauber. Masses: Saturdays 5:00 p.m. and Tuesdays & Thursdays 8:00 a.m. Trinity Church Ashkum Campus held at Ashkum Elementary School, 203 N. Third, 815-432-5047.trinity@ mytrinity.tv; www.mytrinity.tv/ ashkum. Sunday Morning Worship 9 a.m. Nursery available. JAM (“Jesus & Me” Children’s Ministry Pre-K-5th grade 9am; Middle School Refuge Youth Ministry (Grades 6-8) 9am, Senior High Refuge Youth Ministry (Grades 9-12), 10:45am. Adult groups throughout the week. Campus Pastor: Mike Pueschell

BEAVERVILLE:

St. Mary’s Catholic Church, Priest Daniel R. Belanger. Sunday Mass 4:30 p.m.

CHEBANSE:

Sts. Mary and Joseph Catholic Church, 525 S. Chestnut St., 815-698-2262. Pastor, Father Doug Hauber. Mass: Sundays 9:00 a.m. United Church of Christ, 187 W. First South, Pastor Marsha Collins, 815-697-3006-Church Phone; Sunday Worship 9:30 a.m., Communion First Sunday of each month Zion Lutheran Church, 190 Concordia Drive, 815-697-2212, Pastor Keene Whybrew, Sunday Worship 8:30 a.m. Traditional, 10:45 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. Contemporary; Sunday School 9:40 a.m.

CISSNA PARK:

Christian Bible Church, 3 Miles S. of Cissna Park. Pastor Silas Montgomery. Sun. Bible Study 9:30 a.m., Sunday Worship 10:30 a.m., Sunday Evening Bible/Singing 6 p.m. www.cpcbc.org Grace Bible Church, Kellart Lake, Trey Scheffer, Pastor, Sunday School 9 a.m., Morning Worship 10:30 a.m., J.H. Youth Group 5 p.m., H.S. Youth Group 7 p.m., Celebrate Recovery Tues. 7 p.m., Awana Wed. Eve. 6:30 p.m. Immanuel Lutheran Church 996 N. St. Rt. 49. Pastor Tim Hahn. 6:00 p.m. Saturday Worship Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church, Pastor Tim Hahn. Sunday Worship 8:30 a.m., Sunday School & Bible Classes 9:45 a.m. United Methodist Church, Pastor Janet Longtin, Mary Dulaney, Sunday School Supt. Worship Service 9 a.m., Sunday School 10:15 a.m.

CLAYTONVILLE:

Claytonville United Brothern in Christ Church 815-457-2797. Lay speaker Ralph Butzow, Sunday School 9:30 am, Worship 11 a.m. Wed. Evening Bible Study 7 p.m.

CLIFTON:

St. Peter’s Catholic Church, 450 E. Third Ave., 815-698-2262. Pastor, Father Doug Hauber. Masses: Sundays

Page 36

11:00 a.m. and Wednesdays and Fridays 8:00 a.m. Zion Lutheran Church, 100 N. Maple Street, Rev. William H. Callister. Worship Service 8:30 a.m., Sunday School 9:45 a.m. Sewing Day 9 a.m. every 3rd Wednesday. Senior Day Dinner noon every first Wednesday. Traditional Service at 8:30 a.m. Clifton Wesleyan Church, 175 W. 3rd, Clifton, IL, 694-2561. Rev. Daniel Shipton, pastor. Sunday School 9:00 a.m.; Sunday Worship 10:15 a.m. (With a blend of contemporary and traditional music.) Sunday Evening Study 6:00 p.m.; Mid-Week Bible Study Wednesday 7:00 p.m.; The Light Youth Group (5th grade and up) Thursday 6:45 p.m. Clifton Baptist Church, 390 Forrest Street. 694-2183. Pastor Morris Baker. Worship 10:45 a.m.; Sunday School 9:30 a.m.; Sunday Evening 6 p.m.; Wed. night 7 p.m.

CRESCENT CITY:

St. Joseph’s Catholic Church, Father Mike Powell. Sunday Mass, 9 a.m. St. Peter Lutheran Church, Rev. Joel Brown. 9 a.m. Sunday School, 10:10 a.m. Worship Service. United Methodist Church, 600 Union Street. Rev. Kevin Nourie. 9 a.m. Sunday School; 9:30 a.m. Coffee hour; 10:15 a.m. Worship.

DANFORTH:

Danforth Reformed Church, Pastor Don MacDonald. Worship 9 a.m. & 6 p.m., Sunday School 10:30 a.m. St. John’s Lutheran Church, 308 N. Front St., P.O. Box 34. Pastor Duane Marburger Services: Saturday 5:00 p.m., Sunday 8:30 a.m. Education: Sundays at 10 a.m. (all ages)

DONOVAN:

Donovan United Methodist, Corner of Lyle and Third St. Rev. Kevin Nourie, Minister. Sunday Worship Service 8:30 a.m., Sunday School 9:30 a.m.

GILMAN:

Camp New Horizon, The Unification Church, R.R. 1, Box 191. Bible Study Tues., 7 p.m. Life, formerly Gilman Fellowship, Rt. 45 South, Gilman, IL 265-4888, Pastor Jim Harkins. Sunday celebration at 10 a.m./children’s ministry for all ages. Weekly youth cells on Wednesdays at 7 p.m. Life cells for college age and older on Wed., Thurs., Sat., and Sun. at 7 p.m. Gilman United Methodist Church, 129 N. Main St. Pastor Anita Munden. Sunday School 9, Fellowship 10 a.m., Morning Worship 10:30 a.m. Immaculate Conception Catholic Church, 224 N. Secor St., 815-2657236. Father Rey Treyes. Mass times: Saturday 5 p.m., Sunday 9:45 a.m., 11:30 a.m. in Spanish St. Pauls Ev. Lutheran Church, 116 N. Thomas, Pastor Pete Hinrich. Office 265-4133 Parsonage 265-7781 Sunday Worship 9 a.m.; Wednesday Worship 7 p.m.; Sunday School 10:15 a.m. Zion United Church of Christ, 503 N. Central, 815-265-4405 Pastor Dr. Carol Lange; Worship hours: 10 a.m., First Sunday/month Holy Communion & food pantry. Gilman 1st Church of the Nazarene, 219 S. Central St., 815-265-4567 Church, 815-683-2167 Parsonage,

Rev. Paul Caldwell, Sunday 9:30 a.m. Sunday Shool; 10:30 a.m. Worship Service. Wednesday 6-7:30 p.m. Children, Teens, and Adult Bible Study.

IROQUOIS:

Iroquois United Methodist Church, Vickie Killus, Certified Lay Minister, Worship Service 9:45 a.m.

L’ERABLE:

St. John The Baptist Church, 1500 East 2700 North Road, 815-698-2262 Pastor, Father Doug Hauber. Mass: Sundays 7:00 a.m.

MARTINTON:

Martinton Church of Christ, 103 W. South St., 815-428-7062, Chuck Alt, Minister. Worship Service 9 a.m.; Sunday School 10:15 a.m. Wednesday: “Time-In” after shool programs: Kindergarten-5the grade 3:45-5:30 p.m.

MILFORD:

Our Savior Lutheran Church , 209 W. Jones, Rev. Karl Gibbs, Pastor. Sunday Worship 9 a.m., Sunday School 10:15 a.m. Milford Nazarene Church, Axtel at Lyle. Rev. Robert Killion, Pastor. Morning Worship 10:30 a.m., Sunday School 9:30 a.m., Sun. Evening Worship 6 p.m., Wed. Evening Service 6 p.m. Milford Christian Church, Rt. 18 &  Stockland Road, Ministers: Brent Zastrow-Sr. Minister; Gary MiltonAssoc. Minister; Cassandra VillegasStudent. Minister; Kyle Allen-Worship Minister;Ed Highfill-Jr. Worship Minister. Sunday Worship, 8:25 a.m. &  10:25 a.m.; Sunday School, 9:40 a.m.; Area 52 Jr. & Sr.Hi meeting, 5 p.m.; Bible Study, 6:30 p.m. Milford United Methodist Church, 118 N. Axtel, Minister Gail Meyers. Sunday School 9:30 a.m., Church 10:30 a.m. St. John Lutheran Church at Schwer, 1812 E 1130 North Rd., 7 mi. NW of Milford/10 mi. SW of Watseka. 815-889-4750. 9 am Sunday School, 10 am Worship Service.

ONARGA:

Onarga Christian Church, 309 West Seminary, 268-4545. Sunday School 9:30 a.m., Morning Worship 10:30 a.m. Onarga United Methodist Church, 109 E. Seminary Ave. 815-268-4320. Elizabeth Reis, Pastor. Worship Service 9 a.m. Children’s Church 9:15 a.m. St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Church (Ash Grove) Pastor Matt Montgomery Sun. Worship Service 10:15 a.m., Sunday School 9 a.m.

PAPINEAU:

Immanuel United Church of Christ, 815-428-7273, Pastor: Craig Forwalter, Sunday School-Worship Service, 10 a.m.

SHELDON:

Church of the Nazarene, 335 West Center Street, Pastor Debora White. Sunday School 9:30 a.m., Morning Worship 10:40 a.m., Sunday Evening Worship 6 p.m., Wednesday Evening Prayer Meeting and Bible Study 7 p.m. Darrow Church of Christ, 4 miles south & 1 1Ú 2 miles west of

Sheldon. Chuck Alt, Minister. Coffee & Rolls at 9 a.m. Sunday School 9:30 a.m., Worship Service 10:30 a.m. First Apostolic Church of Sheldon, 205 S. Kennedy St., Pastor Ron Childress, Sunday School 10 a.m., Sunday Evening Worship 6 p.m., Family Night- Tuesday 7 p.m. Bible Study Thursday 7 p.m. Sheldon Church of Christ, Fifth and Grove Streets, 815-429-3019, Minister Neil Larimore. Sunday School 9:15 a.m., Morning Worship 10:30 a.m. Sheldon United Methodist Church, Fifth &  Iroquois Streets. Pastor Larry Houseman. Sunday School 9:45 a.m., Worship Service 11 a.m.

STOCKLAND:

The Gathering at the Stockland Church, Facilitators: Scott &  Maxine Rosenberger. Worship 6 p.m. Saturday Evenings

WATSEKA:

Agape Fellowship, A Fellowship of Christian Assemblies Church, 425 W. North St., Christ-centered, Biblebased teachings. Phone 432-1182 or 432-6548. Pastor Ron Bogenschneider. Worship Service, Sundays 10 a.m. Prayer group weekly. Amazing Grace Church, 112 E. Walnut St. (Route 24), Pastor Scott Killy, Sunday Worship 10:30 a.m., Wednesday Bible Study 6:00 p.m. “A mission church of the PCA” Please call for information and locations 815-216-8842. Calvary Ev. Lutheran, North Fourth & Hickory, 432-4136. Pastor Donald G. Love. Saturday 6 p.m., Sunday 9 a.m.,Sunday School and Adult Bible Class 10:15 a.m., Adult Bible Class Sat. following 6 pm Service. Holy Communion celebrated first and third weekend. calvarywatseka.com Centennial Christian Church 720 South Third Street, Joe Hughes, Minister. Worship Service 9:15 a.m. & 5 p.m., Sunday School 10:45 a.m., Youth Group 5 p.m., Wednesday Bible Study 7 p.m. Faith Lutheran, 425 East Lincoln Ave. Pastor Jordan Cooper. Worship 9 a.m., Sunday School 10:15 a.m. Adult Sunday School 10:30 a.m. First Assembly of God, 807 N. Jefferson St., Pastor Chuck Jones. Sunday School 9:30 a.m., Worship 10:30 a.m. & 6 p.m., Tuesday Community Prayer Time 11am-1pm; Wednesday Bible Study 7 p.m. First Baptist Church, 100 N. Clarence Ave., Pastor Chad Myers. Sunday School 9:30 a.m., Sunday Worship 10:30 a.m., Sunday Afternoon 1:30; Wednesday Prayer and Bible Study 7:00 p.m.; Ladies Bible Study - Tuesday 10:00 a.m. First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), 546 North Sixth Street, 815432-4211, Pastor: Ben Stone, Worship 9 a.m., Fellowship 10:15 am, Sunday School 10:30 a.m. First Presbyterian Church, 215 E. Cherry St. Phone 815-432-3096. Pastor Tom McCann Worship Services 10:15 a.m.; Fellowship Hour after Church Service. First United Methodist Church, 301 South Fourth Street, 432-4903, Bob Sabo, Pastor; Informal Service 8:00 am; Sunday School 9:15am; Classic Worship (nursery provided) 10:30 a.m.; Periodic Youth Activities; 5th Sunday Coffee Fellowship 9 a.m.;

Worship Broadcast on WGFA Radio, 94.1 FM 7:00 p.m. Kingdom Hall of Jehovah’s Witnesses, 2243 E. 1760 North Rd. (east Courthouse Rd.) 815-432-4594, 815432-6409, or 815-432-3330. Sunday Services: Public Meeting and Bible Study 9:30 a.m.. Wednesday Services: Bible Study 7:30 pm, Ministry School 8 pm, Service Meeting 8:30 pm Living Hope Church, 546 N. 6th., Watseka, IL 432-4211. Sun. morning services 10:30 a.m.; Wednesday Evening Service 6:30 p.m., at First Christian Church. St. Edmund’s Catholic Church, Fifth & Locust, Father Michael Powell. Mass Saturday 5 p.m., Sunday 7:30 & 10:30 a.m., Holy Day Vigil 7 p.m., Holy Day 7 a.m. & 7 p.m., Confessions Sat. 4:30 p.m., Religion Classes Wed. 4 p.m. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, 2125 E 1730 North Rd. Branch President: Jim Anderson. Services: 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Congressional Meeting 10 a.m. Sunday School: 11:10 a.m. Missionaires 815-473-4005. Trinity Church Watseka Campus 1658 E. Walnut, 432-4070, e-mail: trinity@mytrinity.tv web: www. mytrinity.tv/watseka. Sunday Morning Worship: 9:00 & 10:45 AM. Nursery available all morning. JAM (Jesus & Me) Children’s Ministry for Pre-K through 5th grade, 9 AM. Middle School Refuge Youth Ministry (Grades 6-8), 9 AM. Adult Groups throughout the week. Sept.-May:  Awana (Pre-K– 5th Grade) Wednesdays 6:30–8 PM. High School Refuge YouthÊMinistry Sundays 6:30–8:30 PM Celebrate Recovery, 7-9:30 PM Tuesday, childcare available Watseka Campus Pastor: Bart Koester; True Vine Ministry, 805 N. Virginia, 815-432-4362.Pastor Elaine Daugherty.Worship 10 a.m. Bible Class 10:30 a.m. Sunday Evening Service 6 p.m. Wed. Night Prayer Meeting 6:30 p.m. Watseka First Church of God, 800 W. Iroquois St., 815-343-9604, Pastor Ria Minard. Sunday Service 10 am, Wed. Bible Study 6 pm, .

WELLINGTON:

Prairie Green Church of Christ, 278 North 2800 East Rd., at Greer. 815984-3910. Dustin Wells, Minister. Morning Worship: 9:30, Sunday School, all ages:10:30 a.m. United Methodist Church, Pastor Cathy Najmon, Sunday Fellowship 8 a.m., Worship Service 9 a.m.

WOODLAND:

Cornerstone Ministries, at former Woodland School, Sundays, 9:07am. Pastor Jerry Parker, 815-383-8451. Nursery/Children’s Worship up to 5th grade; Jr/Sr Hi Youth Sunday nights at 5pm. cornerstoneiliana@gmail.com United Methodist Church, Pastor Gail Meyers,. Worship 9 a.m.

WOODWORTH:

St. Paul’s Lutheran Church of Woodworth, 113 West Woodworth, Milford. Pastor Michael Stoerger, Worship 9 a.m.,Sunday School & Bible Class 10:15 a.m.; Communion 2nd & 4th Sundays

Iroquois County Fact Book 2017


Iroquois County school districts Iroquois County Regional Office of Education

189 East Court Street, Suite 600, Kankakee, 60901; 815937-2950 www.i-kan.org Regional superintendent - Dr. Gregg Murphy Assistant superintendent Frank Petkunas

Iroquois Special Education Association 100 Miner Street, PO Box 400, Crescent City, Ill. 60928; 815-683-2662 Director - Jennifer Ernst

Donovan Community Unit School District #3 PO Box 186, Donovan, Ill. 60931 www.donovan.k12.il.us Superintendent - Stephen Westrick School board members Joe Schultz, Dave Munson, George Wisniewski, Joy Carlson, Todd Miller, Lacey Regnier, Eric Schmidt Donovan Elementary School (K-6): 2561 East US 52, Donovan Principal - Christine Pitkin, 815-486-7321 Donovan Jr./Sr. High School (7-12): 600 North Street, Donovan Principal - Christine Pitkin, 815- 486-7397

Central Community Unit School District #4

203 N. Third St., Ashkum; 818-698-2212 Superintendent - Tonya Evans School board members - Paul Swanson, Doug Seibring, Sarah Schoven, David Luhrsen, Kevin Hack, Troy Meier, Lisa Beherns Ashkum Early Literacy Center (PreK) - 203 N. Third St.,

Ashkum; 818-698-2212 Chebanse Elementary School (K-4) - 475 School Street, Chebanse; 815-697- 2642 Principal - Andrea Lemenager John L. Nash Middle School (5-8) 3100 North Central School Road, Clifton Principal - Victoria Marquis Central High School (9-12) - 3100 North Central School Road, Clifton Principal - Marc Shaner

Cissna Park Community Unit School District #6

511 N. Second St., Cissna Park, Ill. 60924 cpschool.org Superintendent - Dr. Dan Hylbert School board members - Bud Petry, Mark Wilkening, Ashleigh Verkler, Jeremy Seggebruch, Jason Edelman, Brent Neukomm, Nutz Weber Cissna Park Elementary School (K-5) - Principal Bethanie Marshall Cissna Park Junior High School (6-8), Cissna Park High School (9-12) - Principal - Mark Portwood

Iroquois County Community Unit School District #9

1411 W. Lafayette St., Watseka; 815- 432-4931 www.watseka-u9.k12.il.us Superintendent - James Bunting School board members - James Bruns, Bob Burd, Gina Greene, Crystal Blair, Brittany Cluver, Rusty Maulding, Kirk McTaggart Nettie Davis Elementary School (PreK- 1) - 495 N. Fourth St., Watseka; 815432- 2112 Principal - Heather Gerth

Iroquois County Fact Book 2017

Wanda Kendall Elementary School (2-4) - 535 E. Porter Ave., Watseka; 815- 432-4581 Principal - Dawn Garner Glenn Raymond Junior High School (5-8) - 101 W. Mulberry St., Watseka; 815-432-2115 Principal - Brad Welch Watseka Community High School (9-12) - 138 S. Belmont Ave., Watseka; 815-432-2486 Principal - Carolyn Short

Munsterman Crescent City Grade School (K-8) Principal - Jeffrey Alstadt

Iroquois West Community Unit School District #10

208 S. Chicago St., Milford Ill. 60953; phone 815-8895176 www.mpsk12.org Superintendent - Dr. Dale Hastings School board members - Mary Ronna, David Fox, James Kunce, Charles Leitz, Jeff Mabbitt, Donna Hiltz, Mark Tweedy Milford Grade School - 100 S. Chicago St., Milford, Ill. 60953 Principal - Michelle Sobkoviak Milford High School - 124 W. Jones St., Milford, Ill. 60953 Principal - Steve Totheroh

529 E. Second St., Gilman, IL 60938 www.iwest.k12.il.us Superintendent - Dr. Linda L. Dvorak School board members Dave Haase, Anthony Miller, Kyle Kraft, Rodger Bennett, Norma Classen, Domitila Garcia, Vicki Killus Gilman Elementary School (K-2) - Principal - Jim Harkins Danforth Elementary School Principal - Ashley Carlson Iroquois West Upper Elementary School Principal - Don Keigher Iroquois West Middle School - Prinicpal - Duane Ehmen Iroquois West High School Principal - Joshua Houberg

Crescent-Iroquois Community Unit School District #249

600 South Street, Crescent City, PO Box 190, Crescent City, Ill., 60928; 815-6832141 Superintendent - Jeffrey Alstadt School board members Steve Massey, Craig Massey, Jody Niebuhr, Becky Dirks, Wade Bell, Scott Klump, Josh

There are 46 high school age students within the district. These students can choose to go to Cissna Park High School, Iroquois West High School or Watseka Community High School.

Milford Area Public Schools District #124

Zion Lutheran 160 W. Concordia Dr. Chebanse, Ill. 60922

St. Paul Lutheran 108 W. Woodworth, Milford, Ill. 60953

St. John Lutheran 206 E. Main, Buckley, Ill. 60918

Christ Lutheran High School 201 W. Lincoln, PO Box 8, Buckley, Ill. 60918

Page 37


History

From page 3

to the territory to the government of the United States. This vast domain afterward became known as the Northwest Territory. While the Illinois country was still a part of the Northwest Territory, in the year 1790, we find Iroquois County a part of the county of Knox and so contained until February 3, 1801, when it became a part of the county of St. Clair, belonging to the Indiana Territory. The Illinois Territory was established by act of Congress on February 3, 1809. This county continued to be a part of St. Clair County until the 14th of September, 1812, when upon reorganization it became a part of Edwards County. In the year 1816 the Iroquois country became a part of Crawford County and there remained until Illinois was admitted into the Union in 1818. When Illinois was admitted as a state, she had fifteen organized counties. One, Crawford County, embraced all the part of the state lying north of a line running east and west near the present site of Louisville, Illinois, the county seat of Clay County. It also included the area east of the third principal meridian, which runs due north from the mouth of the Ohio River. March 22, 1819, the territory included within the present limits of Iroquois County became a part of Clark County. In 1823 Edgar County was organized and what is now Iroquois County was attached to Edgar. It remained thus until the county of Vermilion was organized in 1826, after which it continued until the formal organization took place February 26, 1833. The law made it the duty of the judge of the Circuit Court of Vermilion County, whenever he should be satisfied the new county had 350 inhabitants, to grant an order for an election of three county commissioners, one sheriff, and one coroner to hold office until the next general election. The special election for first officers was Monday, Feb. 24, 1834. Gordon S. Hubbard, while a representative for Vermilion County in the 8th General Assembly of Illinois 1832-1834 was instrumental in procuring the passage of the act creating Iroquois County. The county embraced all that territory lying north of its present south line and east of its present west line and extended north of its present south line and east of its present west line, forming a rectangle and about one-third of what is now Will County. As then established, Iroquois County extended from the north line of Vermilion to the then south line of Cook County. Will County was created in the year 1836 and extended south to the Kankakee River. The river, except for a short distance at the northwest corner of the county, became the northern boundary of Iroquois County. In the year 1853 Kankakee County was created from territory which had belonged to the

Page 38

counties of Iroquois and Will. Thus, Iroquois was limited to its present boundaries. In 1835 the town of Montgomery offered the county 20 acres of land on which to locate a permanent county seat. This land was located just east of Montgomery and was platted down as a town site in 1836 under the name of Iroquois. The offer was accepted, and the county seat was established in Iroquois. No buildings were erected so space was rented for county offices and a court- room in Montgomery. As no town ever developed at Iroquois the plat was later vacated. There was general dissatisfaction with the county seat so far from the center of the county. In 1838 an act was obtained from the Illinois legislature to relocate the county seat. The town of Middleport offered the county 52 lots to locate the county seat there. The offer was accepted and Middleport became the county seat in 1839. After the establishment of the county seat at Middleport, the first county building to be erected was a jail. It was made of hewed logs and was 16 x 20 feet in size. It cost the county $159.30. In 1843 it was decided to build a court- house. This was to be a two-story brick structure, 40 x 40 feet square. The down- stairs was to be the courtroom with offices for the county officials upstairs. To defray the cost of the new building, the sum of $1,506 was appropriated for county funds. To this was to be added the receipts from the sale of the remaining town lots given by Middleport for locating the county seat there. Still another source of funds was anticipated. The county owned some land along the Salt Fork River west of Danville. This land had salt springs on it and was part of some similar land given by the federal government to Vermilion County before Iroquois County was formed. It had been hoped that the salt springs would be developed commercially, and the income was to be used to build a bridge over the Vermilion and the Iroquois River at Montgomery. The land was never developed so Iroquois County retained a share of either 40 or 80 acres (the record is 40 or 80 acres (the record is not clear). It was decided to sell this land, and a representative was sent to Danville to dispose of it. The best offer he could obtain was in trade for a horse. The trade was made, and the horse taken to Chicago and sold. The records do not say how much this transaction added to the courthouse building fund. The new building was completed in 1847. In 1858 the Peoria and Oquawka Railroad was building its line east from Peoria to the Indiana state line. The route was surveyed through Middleport, but a dispute arose in regard to the town donating land for the depot ground. A group of land owners to the south-

east of Middleport offered a proposition to the railroad. This offer was accepted, and the route ran south of Middleport. A new town, called South Middleport, came into being about a mile southeast. The name was changed in 1865 to Watseka; and upon incorporation of Watseka, Middleport become a part of that town. The old courthouse in Middleport was abandoned and a new one built in Watseka. All that remains of the old courthouse completed in 1847 is the square on which it stood. This is now a small park located one block west of the West Watseka School. A picture of the court- house appears in the large painting on the north wall of the present circuit court room. Until the new building was completed the county offices were located in a build- ing on the northeast corner of Fourth and Walnut Streets, Watseka. On October 16, 1866 about 2 o’clock a.m. the building caught fire and many county records were destroyed. It was thought that the fire was set by disgruntled citizens of Middleport over the removal of the courthouse to Watseka. The new courthouse was completed in 1866. Additions were made to it in 1881 and 1927. The new courthouse had the county jail in its basement. One of the original cell blocks can be seen there today. A new jail and sheriff’s residence was built in 1893. This courthouse is now the site of the Iroquois County Historical Museum located at 103 West Cherry Street. The present Iroquois County courthouse and jail was given to all the people of Iroquois County by the late Katharine Clifton. Mrs. Clifton’s bequest to the people of this County is without doubt the first time any individual ever gave the entire cost price for the construction of these units, together with all appurtenances, furnishings and accessories necessary to its functioning. The amount was over $1.5 million. Charles W. Raymond, then a Federal Judge at Muskogee, Oklahoma, Indian Territory, married Grace Matzenbaugh Fisher, a young widow and mother of our Katharine Clifton (nee Fisher), who was then 8 years old at the time of Judge Raymond and Mrs. Fisher’s marriage on January 8, 1902, in Muskogee, Oklahoma. The land on which the new courthouse and jail are located at 550 South Tenth Street in Watseka was originally purchased by Mrs. Clifton’s husband, William “Pete” Clifton, who had planned before his death to construct a municipal airport on the site. The new courthouse and jail held their open house and dedication ceremonies on Saturday, September 17, 1966. In 1833 Iroquois County had a population of 350, in 1860 a population of 16,000, and in 1950 a population of 32,348. The 2000 population of Iroquois County was 31,334.

Iroquois County Fact Book 2017


Take charge of your future Planning for your financial future isn’t about numbers – it’s about you. Your situations and goals are the basis for creating a solid plan for your future financial security. I can help you get the peace of mind that comes with step-by-step guidance based on your goals. Call today to get started!

Joe Lyznicki

Cheryl Rabe

Watseka countryfinancial.com/joe.lyznicki

Gilman countryfinancial.com/cheryl.rabe

815-432-5240

815-265-4731

Bob Burd

Brenna Hildenbrand

Watseka countryfinancial.com/bob.burd

Gilman countryfinancial.com/brenna.hildenbrand

815-432-5240

815-265-4718

Tim Santefort

Zach Gray

Watseka countryfinancial.com/tim.santefort

Clifton countryfinancial.com/zach.gray

815-432-5240

815-694-2331

Auto, home and business insurance policies issued by COUNTRY Mutual Insurance Company®, COUNTRY Preferred Insurance Company® and COUNTRY Casualty Insurance Company®. Life insurance policies issued by COUNTRY Life Insurance Company® and COUNTRY Investors Life Assurance Company®. Fixed annuities issued by COUNTRY Investors Life Assurance Company®. All issuing companies located in Bloomington, IL. 0815-638HO

Iroquois County Fact Book 2017

Page 39


Page 40

Iroquois County Fact Book 2017

2017 Iroquois County Fact Book  
Advertisement