Page 1

Southern League Football

Conference South Results Round up and News

By Tim Prescott

Conference South Results Round Up (06/12)

Chelmsford City 2-0 Maidenhead United (Att 704) The Claret‟s maintain their push for the playoffs after extending their unbeaten run to thirteen games with a comfortable victory over struggling Maidenhead. After a goalless first half which the hosts dominated they finally found a breakthrough five minutes after the restart with Michael Bakare tapping in Max Cornhill‟s low cross for his third goal in four league matches. Although despite dominating the Claret‟s had to wait until the final ten minutes to seal the points as winger Warren Whitely fired in from the edge of the area to double their advantage. Chelmsford move above Sutton into fourth place as a result while Maidenhead‟s dreadful run without a win now extends to thirteen matches as they hover dangerously above the drop by two points having played more games than their rivals.

Dorchester Town 3-3 Farnborough (Att 334) Ben Dickenson struck a brilliant late equaliser to salvage a point for new Dorchester manager Alan Knight on his home debut at the Avenue Stadium. Knight saw his side get off to a brilliant start with Rico Wilson giving the Magpie‟s the lead inside two minutes of play however they were soon pegged back as Daniel Bennett equalised for Farnborough with his third goal since signing from Chertesy Town last month. Just before the half hour the „Boro had turned the game around as top scorer Reece Connolly put them on course for their third straight win. However crucially Dorchester got back into the match just before the break with Wilson grabbing his third goal in two games, his only league goals of the season so far. With just six minutes to go Connolly looked to have stolen the points for the away side with his seventh strike in the league this season but Dickenson had the final say as he rescued a point for the home side. Dorchester remain in seventh place four points off the playoffs, however they have played five games more than some of the sides they are chasing. Meanwhile Farnborough‟s fifth game unbeaten in all competitions moves them four points clear of the drop zone.

Salisbury City 2-0 Tonbridge Angels (Att 448) Midfielder Stuart Anderson inspired Salisbury to victory with a strike in each half as the White‟s ended a six league match winless run. After a close first half Anderson was given the chance to give the hosts the lead from the spot, which he duly took firing past Lee Worgan after Danny Webb was upended in first half stoppage time. Salisbury came out strongly in the second half and soon killed the game off with Anderson getting on the score sheet for the second time with less than ten minutes gone. Despite possessing the league‟s top scorer in Frannie Collin the Angel‟s couldn‟t find a way back into the match as the White‟s held on for an important three points.

Eastbourne Borough 2-2 Truro City (Att 463) Top scorer Ben Watson struck a late equaliser to rescue a point for Eastbourne as their winless home league run stretches to five games. The Sport‟s buoyed by their win at Bromley at the weekend had made a strong start to the match and took the lead after eight minutes through Carl Rook‟s second of the season. The visitors who were looking to bounce back after a disappointing away performance at Farnborough on Saturday couldn‟t find a breakthrough before half time but came out firing in the second half with two goals in four minutes. Firstly top scorer Andy Walker levelled on the forty nine minute mark with his ninth league goal of the season before Jake Ash put the Cornish side ahead from the penalty spot minutes later to turn the match on its head before Watson levelled with just seven minutes to go to ensure both teams left with a share of the points. The result does little for either side ambitions as they remain within a point of each other in thirteen and twelve respectively.

Latest News Welling United have denied receiving a bid for top scorer Andy Pugh after reported interest from Hartlepool United. Wing‟s general manager Barry Hubbins revealed “We haven‟t had a bid for Andy Pugh from any club. He also added that Pugh was happy playing for the club ” he has been fully kept informed of any interest and is happy playing at Park View Road for the Wings”. The former Gillingham youngster has scored five league goals in his last seven games including a hattrick against Maidenhead last month and is the overall second top scorer in the division with fourteen goals. Young Salisbury City keeper Tommy Smith has left the Raymond McEnhill stadium to join Southern Premier league side Bashley on a month‟s loan. The former Portsmouth stopper has found first team opportunities difficult this season despite being a regular as the White‟s won promotion to the Blue Square South.

Following the double signing of Ali Fuseini and Scott Rogers last week Eastleigh manager Ian Baird has again been busy in the transfer market. The Spitfire‟s boss has first of all resigned fans favourite Damien Scannell from Dagenham and Redbridge for an undisclosed fee. The 26 year old winger had a very successful spell at the Silverlake four years ago which saw him get his break in the football league with a transfer to Southend United. Scannell the brother of Crystal Palace‟s Sean, had been a regular for the Dagger‟s in League Two this season featuring seventeen times in all season but has been allowed to leave with boss John Still needing to cut his squad. Also arriving at the Silverlake is former Southampton trainee defender Lloyd Foot. The nineteen year old had been training with the Spitfire‟s for the past few weeks after a spell playing in Sweden following his summer release from Saint Mary‟s. Relegation battling Staines Town have added to their attacking options after agreeing a deal to bring in Mo Sharif on a loan from Queen‟s Park Rangers. The youngster will initially spend a month with the Swan‟s who have scored the second lowest amount of goals in the league so far this season. Sharif who began his career at Slough Town before being snapped up by the R‟s last summer has just returned from a loan spell at St Albans where he score once in two appearances.

New Dorchester Town manager Alan Knight has admitted that teenage striker Ben Dickenson is attracting plenty of interest. He admitted that a host of scouts including one from Crystal Palace were present at the Avenue Stadium on Tuesday night to witness Dickenson create the first two goals for Rico Wilson before scoring a stunning late equaliser in a 3-3 draw with Farnborough. The Magpie‟s boss has backed Dickenson to play at a higher level as he has the “potential to be a quality player” but could do with some more first team experience before moving on. Meanwhile Magpie‟s top scorer played his last game for the club against Farnborough on Tuesday after four seasons and over 150 appearances for the club. The 2009/2010 fans player of the year leaves the Avenue Stadium as a result of leaving the Hampshire area and moving to London because of work commitments.

Bottom club Thurrock have revealed that manager Robbie Garvey has quit his position following the Fleet‟s disappointing defeat at home to fellow strugglers Staines. Garvey leaves after less than six months in charge and leaves with the side rooted to the bottom of the table and without a home win this season. Saturday‟s last-minute defeat to Staines means the Fleet are already six points from safety after just eighteen games although they do have a game in hand on their rivals. Meanwhile Lee Goodwin and Grant Gordon will take charge of the side for their upcoming fixtures starting with an away trip to Eastleigh until a new manager is appointed. The duo have also been quick to bolster their squad with two new signings. Winger Antonio Gonnella has arrived on a dual registration basis from local rivals Canvey Island and midfielder Sam Cutler signs after being released by Dover Athletic last week.

Nathan Koranteng has signed a permanent contract with Boreham Wood after being released by league rivals last week. The young winger will already be known to the Wood supporters after a brief loan spell earlier this season where he scored once in four games. The nineteen year old had only joined the Card‟s in the summer after being released by Championship side Peterborough United but only managed to make seven appearances for Garry Hills side.

This comes after the news that promising youngster Pelly Ruddock has left Meadow Park to join Championship high flyers West Ham United. The 17 year old who had also been attracting interest from QPR, Watford and Reading has signed a two and half year deal with Sam Allardyce‟s side after impressing on a recent trial spell. Ruddock who had featured eleven times for the Boreham Wood first team this season could make his first appearances for the Hammers youth side in a fixture against Arsenal‟s u18′s on Friday. Chelmsford City will receive a further financial boost from their FA Cup run even if they don‟t pull off a shock and beat Macclesfield in the second round replay. This is after the tie scheduled to take place at Moss Rose on the 14th December has been chosen for live television coverage. The match which is being broadcast by ESPN will earn the Claret‟s an extra £36,000 and will also be their first televised fixture.

Conference South Results and News  
Conference South Results and News  

Conference South Results Round up and latest news produced by Tim Prescott for Southern League Football