Page 70

Beaches

Celebrating 9 Years in Downtown Easton

House in 1875. Methodist influence prevailed, and strict laws prohibiting the sale and use of liquor were enacted. Later, the Douglas Hotel was built south of Rehoboth Beach in what is now Dewey Beach. Here one could take a drink without breaking the law. In 1878, the Junction and Breakwater Railroad built a line from Lewes in Delaware to Rehoboth, thus linking the resort directly with Wilmington and Philadelphia. Like Ocean City, Rehoboth Beach would soon thrive as a popular, well-known seashore spot on the Delmarva coast. The glories of the surf and the exquisite beauty of the lovely beaches were what first attracted real estate developers and later, vacationers to the Atlantic coastline of Delmarva. A reporter for the New York Times marvelled at the beauties of the beach that stretched from the Delaware River to the Sinepuxent inlet. The beaches were described in the Delaware Beacon as extending “more than 100 yards from the margin of the water and ... affording bathing ground which at low tide is perfectly safe for any person of ordinary prudence.” The same article noted that “bathing at Rehoboth is about as good as any on the Atlantic Ocean.”

20 Goldsborough St., Easton Open Mon.-Sat. 10:30 - 5:30 410.770.4374 68

September 2013 ttimes web magazine  

Tidewater Times September 2013