Page 34

Oxford-Bellevue Ferry served as a vital transportation link in Talbot County for centuries is very important to the Bixlers, who keep a scrapbook of photographs of previous vessels and news clippings about the ferr y, dating to the 1800s. An 1886 clip from the Easton Ledger spells out plans to abandon the old rowing ferry for a new system using a steamboat towing a scow. The rowing ferry “service is very unsatisfactory and the ferry itself is judged unsafe so that people now seldom attempt to take a horse across.” Rowland Hill introduced a plan to use a steamboat he had purchased to tow a scow across the three-quarters of a mile from Oxford to Bellevue. The county commissioners agreed to pay him $1,000 a year for his service. Hill’s fare schedule charged county residents 10¢ to cross and a free return on the same day. It cost 25¢ for a single team of horse and the driver and 40¢ for a double team and driver. Horses, mules and cows were 25¢ each. Sheep and lambs

In 1938 the Tred Avon was purchased by Captain William L. Benson. "Captain Bill" lengthened the two-car ferry to accommodate three vehicles and converted it to diesel power. Captain Bill owned the ferry for 36 years, but many years after "retiring" he still served as a substitute captain. were 5¢ a head, but more than five were a discounted 3¢ each. Today it costs $11 for a car and driver and $1 a person for passengers. It is $18 for a round trip in the same day and $70 for a 10-trip package. Pedestrians are charged $3 and cyclists $4. It has been awhile since they transported livestock, although the Talbot has transported

Deborah Bridges · 410.745.3135 · www.swancoveflowers.com 32

September 2013 ttimes web magazine  

Tidewater Times September 2013

Read more
Read more
Similar to
Popular now
Just for you