St. Michaels Points of Interest 17. TWO SWAN INN - The Two Swan Inn on the harbor served as the former site of the Miles River Yacht Club, was built in the 1800s and was renovated in 1984. It is located at the foot of Carpenter Street. 18. TARR HOUSE - Built by Edward Elliott as his plantation home about 1661. It was Elliott and an indentured servant, Darby Coghorn, who built the first church in St. Michaels. This was about 1677, on the site of the present Episcopal Church (6 Willow Street, near Locust). 19. CHRIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH - 301 S. Talbot St. Built of Port Deposit stone, the present church was erected in 1878. The first is believed to have been built in 1677 by Edward Elliott. 20. THE INN - Built in 1817 by Wrightson Jones, who opened and operated the shipyard at Beverly on Broad Creek. (Talbot St. at Mulberry). 21. THE CANNONBALL HOUSE - When St. Michaels was shelled by the British in a night attack in 1813, the town was “blacked out” and lanterns were hung in the trees to lead the attackers to believe the town was on a high bluff. The houses were overshot. The story is that a cannonball hit the chimney of “Cannonball House” and rolled down the stairway. This “blackout” was believed to be the first such “blackout” in the history of warfare.
Bartlett, Griffin & Vermilye, Inc. William P. Griffin, Jr. · James C. “Josh” Johnson, IV Billy D. Weber
410-822-2400 506 Idlewild Ave., Easton www.bartlettgriffin.com 124