D. W. Yearsley Custom Farming, Inc.
· Selective Tree Trimming · Invasive Plant Removal · Custom Land Clearing and Mulching · Forest Restoration · Fence Row Clearing · Excavating Licensed and Insured
Island Schooling mid-f loor landing continued inside the building, where one could go up another half-f light to the second f loor, or down a half-f light to the first f loor. It was possible to enter the first f loor directly from ground level by passing through doors hidden beneath the front steps. The Bar Neck School had been closed for some years, and many of the older children from Fairbank Village began attending the new Tilghman School. The village of Fairbank resisted the closing of their school, however, preferring to keep the youngest children closer to home. They were able to stave off closure for several years, but when teacher Jennie Butler closed the doors in June of 1922, it would be forever. The old schoolhouse was sold and moved away for use as a car barn. For the first time in 65 years, there was no school at the foot of Bar Neck Road. The consolidation of the island’s schools finally was complete. In 1920, the Tilghman School asked for the authority to grant high school diplomas by adding grades 9-11. (High schools at this time had only 11 grades.) The Board agreed that the faculty had the qualifications, but feared t he change in teachers’ duties would leave the elementary teachers overworked. A choice had to be made: either reduce the number of grades to 10 or hire an additional teacher. They chose 156
Tidewater Times October 2017