Page 128

St. Michaels Points of Interest office, post office and telephone company. For more info. visit www. carpenterstreetsaloon.com. 18. TWO SWAN INN - The Two Swan Inn on the harbor served as the former site of the Miles River Yacht Club, was built in the 1800s and was renovated in 1984. It is located at the foot of Carpenter Street. For more info. visit www.twoswaninn.com. 19. TARR HOUSE - Built by Edward Elliott as his plantation home about 1661. It was Elliott and an indentured servant, Darby Coghorn, who built the first church in St. Michaels. This was about 1677, on the site of the present Episcopal Church (6 Willow Street, near Locust). 20. CHRIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH - 301 S. Talbot St. Built of Port Deposit stone, the present church was erected in 1878. The first is believed to have been built in 1677 by Edward Elliott. For more info. tel: 410-745-9076. 21. THE OLD BRICK INN - Built in 1817 by Wrightson Jones, who opened and operated the shipyard at Beverly on Broad Creek. (Talbot St. at Mulberry). For more info. visit www.oldbrickinn.com. 22. THE CANNONBALL HOUSE - When St. Michaels was shelled by the British in a night attack in 1813, the town was “blacked out” and lanterns were hung in the trees to lead the attackers to believe the town was on a high bluff. The houses were overshot. The story is that a cannonball hit the chimney of “Cannonball House” and rolled down the stairway. This “blackout” was believed to be the first such “blackout” in the history of warfare. 23. AMELIA WELBY HOUSE - Amelia Coppuck, who became Amelia Welby, was born in this house and wrote poems that won her fame and the praise of Edgar Allan Poe. 24. TOWN DOCK RESTAUR ANT - During 1813, at the time of the Battle of St. Michaels, it was known as “Dawson’s Wharf” and had 2 cannons on carriages donated by Jacob Gibson, which fired 10 of the 15 rounds directed at the British. For a period up to the early 1950s it was called “The Longfellow Inn.” It was rebuilt in 1977 after burning to the ground. For more info. visit www.towndockrestaurant.com. 25. ST. MICHAELS MUSEUM at ST. MARY’S SQUARE - Located in the heart of the historic district, offers a unique view of 19th century life in St. Michaels. The exhibits are housed in three period buildings and contain local furniture and artifacts donated by residents. The museum is supported entirely through community efforts. For more info. tel: 410-745-9561 or www.stmichaelsmuseum.org. 126

March 2017 ttimes web magazine  

Tidewater Times March 2017