Page 128

St. Michaels Points of Interest 20. THE OLD BRICK INN - Built in 1817 by Wrightson Jones, who opened and operated the shipyard at Beverly on Broad Creek. (Talbot St. at Mulberry). For more info. visit www.oldbrickinn.com. 21. THE CANNONBALL HOUSE - When St. Michaels was shelled by the British in a night attack in 1813, the town was “blacked out” and lanterns were hung in the trees to lead the attackers to believe the town was on a high bluff. The houses were overshot. The story is that a cannonball hit the chimney of “Cannonball House” and rolled down the stairway. This “blackout” was believed to be the first such “blackout” in the history of warfare. 22. AMELIA WELBY HOUSE - Amelia Coppuck, who became Amelia Welby, was born in this house and wrote poems that won her fame and the praise of Edgar Allan Poe. 23. TOWN DOCK RESTAUR ANT - During 1813, at the time of the Battle of St. Michaels, it was known as “Dawson’s Wharf” and had 2 cannons on carriages donated by Jacob Gibson, which fired 10 of the 15 rounds directed at the British. For a period up to the early 1950s it was called “The Longfellow Inn.” It was rebuilt in 1977 after burning

126

Profile for Tidewater Times

June 2014 ttimes web magazine  

Tidewater Times June 2014

June 2014 ttimes web magazine  

Tidewater Times June 2014