Page 113

Douglass stayed in the Brick Hotel when he came back after the Civil War and gave a speech in the courthouse. It is now an office building. 14. THOMAS PERRIN SMITH HOUSE - 119 N. Washington St. Built in 1803, it was the early home of the newspaper from which the Star-Democrat grew. In 1911, the building was acquired by the Chesapeake Bay Yacht Club, which occupies it today. 15. ART DECO STORES - 13-25 Goldsborough Street. Although much of Easton looks Colonial or Victorian, the 20th century had its inf luences as well. This row of stores has distinctive 1920s-era white trim at the roofline. It is rumored that there was a speakeasy here during Prohibition. 16. FIRST MASONIC GR AND LODGE - 23 N. Harrison Street. The records of Coats Lodge of Masons in Easton show that five Masonic Lodges met in Talbot Court House (as Easton was then called) on July 31, 1783 to form the first Grand Lodge of Masons in Maryland. Although the building where they first met is gone, a plaque marks the spot today. This completes your walking tour. 17. FOXLEY HALL - 24 N. Aurora St., Built about 1795, Foxley Hall is one of the best-known of Easton’s Federal dwellings. Former home of Oswald Tilghman, great-grandson of Lt. Col. Tench Tilghman. (Private)

“A Traditionally Trendy Children’s Boutique”

Spring Is Here! 40% off Clothing Sizes 7-14, 20% off all Rain Gear 218 N. Washington St., Easton · 443.746.0504 · M-Th 10-5, Fri. 10-6, Sat. 10-4 111

April 2018 ttimes web magazine  

Tidewater Times April 2018

April 2018 ttimes web magazine  

Tidewater Times April 2018