Delmarva Railroads The Later Years by Harold W. Hurst Delmarva Railroads: The Later Years is part two of a two-part series on the rise and fall of the rail industry on the Delmarva Peninsula. The last major independent, local railroad built on Delmarva was the Queen Anneâ€™s line, which had been planned in an earlier year
Consolidation of the smaller Delmarva rail lines constructed between the 1850s and the 1870s continued at a rapid pace in the last years of the 19th century. New railroad lines linked Delmarva localities with Baltimore and the western shore in Maryland and with Norfolk to the south. In 1890, the Baltimore and Eastern Shore Railroad was completed, establishing connections between Baltimore and Ocean City on the Atlantic coast of Maryland. According to an 1890 timetable, cars leaving Ocean City at 4 p.m. arrived in Baltimore at 10:30 p.m. Ferry service was inaugurated between Claiborne on the Eastern Shore and Annapolis, where trains continued the journey to Baltimore. This line was absorbed in 1904 by the Baltimore, Chesapeake and Atlantic Railroad. The powerful engines of the BC&A left black smoke and cinders everywhere as they dashed through the towns, hamlets and farmlands of Marylandâ€™s Eastern Shore.
1897 map of the Baltimore, Chesapeake and Atlantic railway lines. 55