For Advertising Call 250-803-4664
Tidbits of the Shuswap
OVER 4 MILLION
5000 Readers ReadersOver Weekly Nationwide!Weekly
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED ©2007
of the Shuswap
The Neatest Little Paper Ever Read
April 29, 2011
B & D Publishing
For Advertising Please Call 250-803-4664
Change Your Water, Change Your Life! Drink Alkaline Ionized Water
Drinking the Right Water is the easiest way to help the body maintain a balanced pH level for Optimum Health and Wellness.
Your body is over 70% water...What are you filling your 70% with??? Find out what you’re really drinking! Free Water Testing & Estimates Turn your Kitchen Tap water into a fountain of Youth! Healthy, Clean & Convenient Systems can be installed in minutes Call about our Free Trial so you can taste and feel the difference
Water Wellness Group Inc
Call Rob @ 250-803-3229 (1-888-265-3160) TIDBITS®
A fun career with endless possibilities
FOOD FUN by T.A.Tafoya
Nail Technician Certificate
Where did that come from? Ever wonder how some of your favorite foods came to be? Tidbits takes a look at some fun food facts.
Starts May 2 in Vernon Student loan & SIDIT award eligible. Apply at www.okanagan.bc.ca/apply or call toll free 1-800-289-8993, local 2674
ShuSwap RevelStoke • NoRth okaNagaN CeNtRal okaNagaN • South okaNagaN SimilkameeN
• According to legend, a Jewish baker in 1683 baked the first bagel. This stirrup-shaped yeast dough was made to honor Jan Sobieski, a renowned horseman and the King of Poland, for saving the people of Austria from Turkish invaders. The baker named the hard roll beugel, the Austrian word for stirrup. The roll soon became a hit throughout Eastern Europe, and over time its shape and name evolved into the modern-day bagel.
Owner: Kim Wiens
We now offer Tax Services!!
Come and see us for all your tax needs, Personal or Business! We also offer a full variety of Bookeeping services including payroll, sales invoicing, HST reporting, WCB and financial statements. We can pick up your mail, do your banking, keep track of and prepare your Accounts Payable cheques. We can also deal with CRA on your behalf
Monday - Friday 8:30am - 5pm PH: 250-832-3510 FAX: 250-832-3592 141 Hudson Ave. NW Salmon Arm, B.C.
• What would the bagel be without cream cheese? In 1872, William Lawrence of Chester, N.Y., Darryl McDonnell an American cheese maker, was experimenting Only 58,000km! with a recipe for Neufchâtel, a soft French $ cheese. He didn’t get it quite right, but what was produced was a much softer, silkier cheese. The cheese maker realized that this new Offer valid on most vehicles. Available only at this location. TPMS extra. Expires April 30th, 2011 cheese was better suited as a spreadable cheese designed to be consumed didn’t need a genuine leader in ServiCe, valuefresh. andItadviCe. 250-832-2611to be molded and aged in the Neufchâtel style. wrapped SW it in Salmon foil, and it arm, was trademarked 1200 Trans CanadaHeHighway BC as Philadelphia Brand Cream Cheese in 1880. oktire.com
2006 Hondaoktire.com Accord 5 speed manual
4 Tire Change over balanCe & alignmenT plus full inspeCTion jusT$11,872 129.95
140 Hudson Ave.
The OK Tire mark is a trademark of O.K. Tire Stores Inc.
turn the page for more!
WANT TO RUN YOUR OWN BUSINESS? Publish a Paper in Your Area We provide the opportunity for success!
Stock # UP0143
To l l F r e e 1 - 8 6 6 - 9 4 6 - 6 1 0 7 6 5 0 Tr a n s C a n a d a H w y. 250-832-6107 w w w. s a l m o n a r m h o n d a . c o m
1200 Trans Can. Hwy SW Salmon Arm, BC 250-832-2611
Wheel Alignment & Change Over Special
$129.95 (on most vehicles)
4 Tire Change over balanCe & alignmenT A GENUINE LEADER IN SERVICE $ AND ADVICE oktire.com plus full inspeCTion jusTVALUE 129.95 Licensed Mechanic on Duty!
Call 1.866.631.1567 (CAN) 1.800.523.3096 (U.S.) www.tidbitscanada.com
Offer valid on most vehicles. Available only at this location. TPMS extra. Expires April 30th, 2011
YOUR Plants Are Here
BIG - JUICY We Deliver 1200 Trans Canada Highway SW Salmon arm, BCBC Soil, Rock TOMATOES & Mulch
Farm Fresh Produce a genuine leader in ServiCe, value and adviCe. and Garden 250-832-2611 Trans Canada Highway Salmon Arm, BC (250) 832-4919 8 am - 6 pm 7 Days Each Week
The OK Tire mark is a trademark of O.K. Tire Stores Inc.
ARIES (March 21 to April 19)
Temper your typical Aries urge to charge into a situation and demand answers. Instead, let the Lamb’s gentler self emerge to deal with a problem that requires delicacy.
TAURUS (April 20 to May 20)
You are aware of what’s going on, so continue to stand by your earlier decision, no matter how persuasive the counter-arguments might be. Money pressures will soon ease.
Tidbits of the Shuswap
Time to trade your snow shovel in for a set of tongs....
Check out our Spiced and Marinated Kabobs
•Chicken Sate • Pork • Beef • Lamb • Venison • Wild Boar
Retail / Wholesale
For Advertising Call 250-803-4664
1. ASTRONOMY: The star called Rigel is part of which constellation? 2. MYTHOLOGY: What did the god Frey represent in Norse mythology? 3. CHEMISTRY: What gas has the chemical symbol of CH4?
4. MOVIES: Who directed “The Magnificent Ambersons” and “Touch of Evil”? Food Fun (continued): • Have you had your Wheaties today? In the 5. HISTORY: Who was the first English king GEMINI (May 21 to June 20) 1920s, a Minneapolis health-spa owner made to hold the title “Prince of Wales”? By all means, have fun and enjoy your newly homemade bran gruel to feed his clients. The expanded social life. But don’t forget that some mixture helped keep them regular and helped 6. INVENTIONS: What was the name of the people are depending on you to keep promises first submarine commissioned by the U.S. them lose weight. One day, he dropped some that are very important to them. Navy? on the stove, and it hardened into a crust. After CANCER (June 21 to July 22) tasting it, he liked it better than what was cooking You need to wait patiently for an answer to a 7. GENERAL KNOWLEDGE: Who drew in the pot. He made a sample batch to show a workplace problem and not push for a decision. the famous image of Uncle Sam proclaiming, friend at the Washburn Crosby Company, which Remember: Time is on your side. A financial “I Want You”? later became the General Mills Company. The matter needs closer attention. original mixture was too crumbly, so they came 8. GEOGRAPHY: To what island group in LEO (July 23 to August 22) up with a better flake using wheat. Jane Bausman, the Caribbean does St. Croix belong? You now have information that can influence the wife of a company executive, thought up the that decision you planned to make. But the 9. LITERATURE: Which writer’s autobiogname Wheaties. clever Cat will consult a trusted friend or family raphy is called “Black Boy”? • Don’t skip your Wheaties! A study of 19,000 member before making a major move. Americans found that people who skipped 10. POLITICS: Who was Adlai Stevenson’s VIRGO (August 23 to September 22) breakfast are more likely to gain weight because vice-presidential running mate in 1956? Good news: You’re finding that more doors are they tend to overcompensate for the loss of key opening for you to show what you can do, and (c) 2011 King Features Synd., Inc. nutrients at breakfast by eating more fat-rich, you don’t even have to knock very hard to get high-energy foods later in the day. the attention you’re seeking. • The oldest piece of chewing gum is 9,000 years LIBRA (September 23 to October 22) old, but it was in 1906 that the first “bubble Your gift for creating order out of chaos will help gum” was invented by Frank Fleer. His first you deal with a sudden rush of responsibilities Rod Pickering batch produced a gum so sticky that if it got on that would threaten someone less able to balC: 250.515.1968 your skin the only way to get it off was with ance his or her priorities. SALMON ARM, BC Certified Septic Installer vigorous scrubbing and turpentine. His recipe For all your excavating needs from sewer & water, repairs and installations to landscape and design SCORPIO (October 23 to November 21) was finally perfected 22 years later by Walter Congratulations. Your energy levels are coming Diemer in 1928. The 23-year-old Diemer was produced flat, round pills. He contracted with right back up to normal -- just in time to help you an accountant for Fleer Chewing Gum Company the pharmacy to press the mints into shape. The tackle some worthwhile challenges and make who experimented with new gum recipes in his machinery malfunctioned and stamped the candy some important choices. spare time. His first commercial batch of Dubble with a hole in the middle. After looking at the SAGITTARIUS (November 22 to December 21) Bubble Gum just happened to be pink because shape, it reminded him of a life preserver so he The sage Sagittarian should demand a full explathat was the only food coloring on the shelf that called them Lifesavers. nation of inconsistencies that might be cropping day. Fleer’s gum became the most popular penny • Did you know ketchup didn’t always contain up in what had seemed to be a straightforward candy on the market. deal. tomatoes? The Chinese invented it in the 1600s, CASTLES (continued): 3rd Quarter 2010 a Cleveland chocolate candy maker • In 1912, and this mixture had no tomatoes but a lot of • The famous Tower of London began as a Week 39 CAPRICORN (December 22enclosure to January timber fortress in an earthen on the 19) named Clarence Crane wanted to make a hard pickled fish and spices. In the early 1700s, British northbetween bank of the Thames in London. In 1078, Sept 19- 25 A conflict obligations to family and mint that wouldn’t melt in the summer heat to William the Conqueror replaced this timber explorers encountered the sauce in Malaysia. By Page 8 to the job canwith create stressful Best fortress a massive stone problems. fortress called boost summertime sales. While at the pharmacy 1740, it was a British staple and was then renamed the Great Tower. William needed to show his advice: Balance your dual priorities so that one authority and protect his new kingdom. buying bottled flavoring, he noticed the druggist ketchup. Tomatoes became an ingredient in the doesn’t outweigh the other. • In the Middle East, the Crusaders developed using a hand operated pill-making machine that great castles with double circuits of curving late 1700s when New England colonists added outer walls and towers toto overlook the entire AQUARIUS (January 20 February 18) them to the mixture, and modern-day ketchup was wall. These castles influenced castle building Don’t guess, speculate or the gossip that throughout Europe and Britishabout Isles, and born. Tomatoes may have been added sooner, but the “mystery” early 13th-century medieval castle was a so-called situation at the workplace. marriage of Norman, English and Byzantine they were once thought to be poisonous. Henry Bide your time. explanation styles. TwoAn good examples ofwill thisbe areforthcomthe Château Gaillard on the Seine in France and J. Heinz introduced bottled ketchup in 1875, and ing very soon. the Conisbrough Castle in England. by the 1980s, Heinz Ketchup was in one of every • One of the last tower houses to be built in PISCES (February 19 toTower, March 20)back to Scotland was Lethendy dating two American households. 1678. Boredom might be creeping in and causing you • No two castles are the same. This is due to • In 1905 in San Francisco, an 11-year-old boy to losetopography, interest intaste, a repeat project. Deal it available materials and with the named Frank Epperson was mixing powdered ability of the designer. by flipping over your usual routine and finding a • The spiral stairs in castle towers are designed flavoring in a glass of soda and water. He new way to do an old task. to ascend clockwise in an effort to make the attackers expose more of their body in order to accidentally left the glass with the stirring stick the sword in their right hand. BORNuse THIS WEEK: in it on his back porch overnight. He found it • At Exeter Castle in England in 1136, the You can warm the coldest heart with your lyrigarrison used wine to extinguish fires from a frozen the next morning. This gave Epperson
siege. cal voice and bright smile. You find yourself at largest you inhabited home,• The wherever are.castle in the world is Windsor Castle in the United Kingdom.
• There were once about 5,000 castles in Japan, but today there are only about a dozen original feudal left. Features Synd., Inc. (c) castles 2011 King
Sunday Brunch! From 10-2
Over 25 Items! including Eggs Benedict, custom omlettes made fresh, prime rib and more
833-1154 at the Prestige Inn
For Advertising Call 250-803-4664
Tidbits of the Shuswap
RV Resort & Campground
Marina & Grill Join us for a wonderful dining experience in our waterfront restaurant while enjoying our beautiful sunsets from the patio or covered deck.
This is what memories are made of.. For a fully serviced yet rustic waterfront camping experience, we offer many options to suit all budgets.
• Boat parking, fuelDraft and snacks $7.95 Cariboo Pint & in our marina. Pizza on all Playoff Hockey • Moorage also available on a seasonalGame basis. Nights!!
Daily, Weekly, Monthly and Seasonal sites available! Shoulder season pricing in effect May & September
We ARE the Shuswap’s best kept secret!
Contact us for details!
for reservations & hours of operation 2001 Eagle Bay Rd, Blind Bay, BC
1992 Eagle Bay Rd., Blind Bay, BC
Food Fun (continued): an idea, and 18 years later in 1923, he started selling “the Epsicle ice pop” for five cents, later changing the name to Popsicle. • In 1930, Ruth Wakefield was making chocolate cookies at the Toll House Inn in Whitman, Massachusetts. She ran out of baking chocolate so she broke a bar of semi-sweet chocolate into little pieces and added them to the dough. When the cookies came out of the oven, the chocolate hadn’t melted. Instead there were little chips of chocolate scattered throughout the cookie. She called her new creation Toll House Crunch Cookies. She later sold the recipe to Nestle. No one can eat just one! In 1853, at the Moon Lake Lodge in Saratoga Springs, New York, a diner sent an order of french fries back to the kitchen because they were too thick. The chef, George Crum, remade the fries thinner this time, but the customer sent those back too. Crum decided to teach the diner a lesson, so he sliced a potato paper-thin and fried it until it was crisp. The customer loved them. Soon other customers were asking for potato chips. Today, in the United States, a pound of potato chips costs 200 times more than a pound of potatoes. • Sometimes, a little change can yield big results. American Airlines saved $40,000 in 1987 by eliminating one olive from each salad served in first-class. • The phrase “busy as a bee” has roots in reality. To make just two pounds of honey, bees have to visit four million flowers, traveling a distance equal to four times around the earth. • If you find yourself on the wrong end of a bee and get stung, grab an onion. This root vegetable contains a mild antibiotic that tames bee stings and also fights infections, soothes burns and relieves the itch of athlete’s foot.
Buying or Selling? Call Steven
OF SALMON ARM Centenoka Park Mall EST 1983
10 Year Warranty on the Motor
Vented lid, foam sound supressor,70 Decibels, 2 stage High Performance Motor, 11 Amp 119 CFM, Covers 3500 sq. ft., drop cloth filter, 30’ of 110 V, 1 3/8” Combo Hose, 5 piece tool kit, Power Nozzle, Geared Belt, Light, & Telescopic Wand, Maroon Colour.
(250) 832- 9113
Tidbits of the Shuswap
For Advertising Call 250-803-4664
N & T Canine Care
• Doggie Daycare • Boarding Specializing in the care of • Grooming small breeds • Therapy pool
Weber and Broil King BBQ’s Are Available at
Salmon Arm Fireplace
1140 4th Ave. SW • Beside Kal Tire • 250-804-0333
Call us to find out more about our great facility
For your dog’s comfort & happiness 1235 Tappen Notch Hill Rd.
1. Which singer had a debut hit with “I Only Want to Be with You”?
Q: I am going through some serious “True Blood” withdrawal! Can you tell me when the show will return? I know it’s usually over the summer, but I haven’t heard a specific date yet. -- Ginger F., via e-mail A: HBO just announced that season four of the vampire (and fairy and shifter and witch) drama will begin Sunday, June 26. However, if you need your vampire fix before then, Charlaine Harris will release book 11 of the Southern Vampire Mysteries, “Dead Reckoning” -- on which the “True Blood” series is based -- on May 3. Also, the “True Blood” season three DVD will be released on May 31. And, since this is the summer of contests, you have a chance to win a copy of the season three “True Blood” DVD set. Write to me at firstname.lastname@example.org, or at King Features Weekly Service, P.O. Box 536475, Orlando, FL 32853-6475, and tell me if you are on Team Bill, Team Eric or Team Alcide. I will randomly draw one lucky winner to receive the “True Blood” season three box set. Deadline is May 31. *** Q: Do you know if “In Plain Sight” will be returning on USA? We thoroughly enjoy it and hope it’s not canceled. -- Pete and Ann, Venice, Fla. A: The USA network’s drama starring Mary McCormack will return for its fourth season on Sunday, May 1. The show already has been renewed for it’s fifth season, which is scheduled for a 2012 premiere. So, no worries for your favorite show -you’ll have at least 20-something more episodes on the way. *** Q: The other day, my mom was watching “My Girl” on DVD and it got me to wondering what
Anna Chlumsky, the actress who played Vada, is doing now. She was so good in the movie! -- Paula F., Fresno, Calif. A: Anna’s most recent role is that of Jennifer Mills in the Hallmark Channel original movie “3 Weeks, 3 Kids,” premiering Saturday, May 7. Jennifer is a free spirit who is forced to grow up when her parents hatch a plan for their solo daughter to care for her sister’s rambunctious children. Of taking on this surrogate-mom role, Anna says: “My character has to face her fears of letting the kids down and letting herself down, and in confronting those fears, that’s really where you find your courage.” Anna, now 30, has guest-starred on “30 Rock” and “Law and Order,” among many other shows. She also just finished shooting “Veep,” a pilot for HBO opposite Julia Louis-Dreyfus, and is in production on the feature film “Sam,” starring opposite Chris Klein.
2. Name the group that released the everpopular “Shout.” 3. Who sang the 1962 hit “Party Lights”? 4. Name the group that wrote and released “Mr. Lee.” What was the song about? 5. Who sang “River Deep -- Mountain High,” and when? 6. Which band released “Baby, Come Back”? (c) 2011 King Features Synd., Inc.
Insured & Bonded Vet Recommended
250-833-9133 Carolyn Beard
*** Q: NCIS is my favorite show. I was told that Mark Harmon is leaving. Is that true? -- Linda J., Nokomis, Fla. A: With record-setting ratings and being picked up for a ninth season, you can bet Mark won’t be leaving “NCIS” anytime soon. (c) 2011 King Features Synd., Inc.
Join Chris the owner between 4-6 pm most weekdays to ask questions and learn how to use the weights. Its time to stick to that New Years Resolution!! New members welcome!! 250-832-6789
Look Good for Grad!
681 Marine Park Drive
$39.99 30 Days
Unlimited Tanning For just $20 more receive one Month Gym Membership (grads only)
Smoothies, Protein Shakes, Wraps, Paninis All made FRESH
Mon-Thurs. 5:30am-10pm • Friday 5:30am-9pm Saturday 9am - 6pm • Sunday 12pm - 6pm
Come and enjoy the experience! Receive 20% off all colour care products with your Amanda Johnston Sean Garrison Stylist/Color Stylist/Color colour service Technician Technician
Offering Full Salon Services Tues-Sat 9:30-5:30 250-833-1177 875 Lakeshore Drive SW
Sun, Mon & Evenings (By Appointment only)
For Advertising Call 250-803-4664
conkers Fine British Imports
The Shuswap’s source for British Groceries and Sweets Authentic Brown Berry Teapots • English, Welsh & Irish Tea Marks & Spencer Biscuits Melton Mobrays, Black & White Pudding Thorntons, Galaxy, Cadbury Double Devon Cream • Battenburg Cakes Bakewell Tarts • Meat Pies Cheese • Bacon & Sausage
Tidbits of the Shuswap Armstrong-Spallumcheen Chamber of Commerce is pleased to present
Live Life Well TRADE SHOW In Armstrong
SATURDAY APRIL 30, 2011 9:00AM - 3:00PM
Tea Room Opening Soon!
1298 Trans Canada Hwy. 250-675-3786
ALL CONNECTED COMPUTER & TECHNICAL SERVICES
Scott Lake, BCSc, NCM ph 250-838-5942 c 250-307-5960
Providing knowledgeable, ethical, and comprehensive personal computer, networking and communications solutions. Visit www.all-connected.ca for a complete list of services!
HASSEN MEMORIAL ARENA (at the IPE Grounds) Join Us To Learn More About
HEALTHY LIFESTYLE • SPORTS & LEISURE BUSINESS & COMMUNITY • SERVICE ORGANIZATIONS
NS DEMONSTRATIO DOOR PRIZES FREE DRAWS & More Than S N IO S S rs E FOOD CONC 50 Exhibito
NEED A HAND?
Break My Back Not Yours! Call Garry Devos Sicamous • 250-836-2997
CALL FOR MORE INFORMATION 250.546.8155 PROUDLY SPONSORED BY:
DOWNTOWN REALTY LTD. ARMSTRONG
Saturday April 30th - UFC 129 cover at door
We do Catering!
Watch all the Canuck Playoff Games -Game day specials!
Around The Shuswap
FREE COMMUNITY EVENTS CALENDER FOR LOCAL NON PROFIT ORGANIZATIONS email@example.com Saturday April 30th White Lake Community Hall will be holding their Annual Garage Sale. 8:00am to 1:00pm at 3617 Parri Road
Sunday May 1st- 9th Annual Hike for Hospice, a fundraising hike for the Shuswap Hospice Society. Fully guided hike to the top of Enderby Cliffs. Meet at 8:30 am sharp at Marketplace IGA parking lot, 606 Russell Street, Enderby. Cost of hike is $15 per individual, $25 per family. Bring a lunch and plan 5-6 hours for the hike. Refreshments available after the hike. No dogs. Please call 250-832-7099 to pre-register. Notch Hill Dates for May: May 2 Elections Canada, May 3rd General Meeting 7:30 pm 6753430, May 8th White Church Service 10:00am 675-4346, May 14 Annual Spring Sale 9am-1pm 675-3430 Cedar Heights in Blind Bay: 3 golf tournaments coming up this summer and a sports wind-up. First one is Sunday May 15th @ 2 pm. Sign up sheet will be posted a week or two before.This will be a best ball tournament followed by a pot luck supper. You need not be a sports member to join in. For further info contact Dave at 675-3582. Thurs. May 5th Ladies Afternoon Out 1:30 4:00 There will be Perogie making this day to be sold at the Plant & Garage Sale on May 7th Sorrento Glee Club: “Spring Song” Concerts Fri 06 May 2011 & Sat 07 May 2011 @ 7pm Sorrento Memorial Hall Sunday May 8th White Lake Volunteer Fire Department will hold its 30th Annual Mothers Day Pancake Breakfast. From 8am to 11am at the White Lake Community Hall 3617 Parri Road. Cedar Heights Ladies Afternoon Out enjoy a cooking demonstration from Maureen Lovegrove on making perogies. Every Thursday afternoon at the Cedar Centre from 1:30 to 4:00 p.m., the ladies partake in various activities from cooking, scrapbooking, crafts, knitting, etc. to socializing. This activity is sponsored by the CHCA and is open to ladies living in the area. Shuswap Writer's Group Coffee House: April 22nd, 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m., at the Vida Juice Bar, 681 Marine Park Drive, N.E., Salmon Arm. For reader's sign-up and information contact: Dick Quaife (250) 832-7500. . Cedar Heights Community Plant & Garage Sale. 2316 Lakeview Dr. Blind Bay. Cedar Heights is holding their Annual Plant and Garage Sale on Saturday, May 7th from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Table rentals at a cost of $10.00 each will be available as well. Donations of gently used items that are clean and in good working order can be dropped off at the Centre on Friday, May 6th from 1:00 – 6:00 p.m. or call Barb to make arrangements. And of course any donations of yard plants are greatly appreciated. For more information contact Barb at 675-5308 or Jutta at 675-4060. Salmon Arm Community Band Spring Concert 2011 The Salmon Arm Community Band presents its annual spring concert on Saturday, May 7th, at 7:30 pm in the First United Church. Crowd pleasers for all ages will be on the program. Admission by donation. Refreshments served after the concert. Thank you for keeping this is a ‘scent free’ event! Blind Bay Farmers Market 2704 Blind Bay Road, just west of the Balmoral, Eagle Bay and Blind Bay Roads junctions. Every Thursday 10AM til 2 PM May 5 til mid September. Local produce, bedding plants, farm eggs, arts and crafts. Contests, kids activities and more! Vendors wanted, contact Market Manager Deb Gibson 250 675 5199, email firstname.lastname@example.org May 5- first Blind Bay Market of the season. Come get your earliest bedding plants, fresh eggs and spring produce. Just in time for Mothers Day, a great selection of local crafts and gifts. Check out our website www.blindbayfarmersmarket.webs.com A WINNER in our first draw of “Pennies from Heaven” (sponsored by Shuswap Rotary) This week Shuswap Rotary Club held its’ first monthly draw for “Pennies From Heaven” And the Winner is ….Kim Faryna. Kim purchased her ticket at the display in the UPS Store. “Pennies” can be purchased at participating businesses for the nominal cost of one toonie.
Tidbits of the Shuswap
For Advertising Call 250-803-4664
Give Your Loved Ones Do You Have the 8 Necessities Peace of Mind To for Christmas
Survive Natural Disasters, Market Crash, Job Loss, or Illness?
•Food •Water •Heat •Shelter •Light •First Aid •Sanitation •Communication
Peace of Mind Preparedness
Protect Your Most Precious Possesion For travelling or home, 1-5 person
Your Family!! Peace of Mind PREPAREDNESS Call Today for
72 hour emergency survival kit
VOLCANO STOVES more valuable
See info & Volcano Stove information video at www.peaceofmindpreparedness.ca
Unique Water Storage Container
Authorized Dealer for
1 to 5 Person Emergency kits
Thrive Food Storage
Make the most important call of your life...
Combination Heating and Hot Water Systems
Save 70% on Heating Costs email@example.com www.selectsolarsystems.com 250-835-2208
1. Name the last baseball team before LSU in 200810 to win three consecutive SEC tournaments. 2. In 2009, the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim set a major-league record for most hitters in one season having at least 50 RBIs. How many were there? 3. Who was the first player in NFL history to earn a Pro Bowl selection at two positions in the same season? 4. In 2011, David Lighty became the third Ohio State men’s basketball player to tally 1,000 points, 500 rebounds and 300 assists for his career. Name the first two to do it? 5. In 2009-10, Tampa Bay’s Steven Stamkos, at 20, became the third-youngest NHL player to hit the 50-goal mark for a season. Who were the two younger players? 6. Who won the first gold medal in the Olympic men’s speed skating team pursuit in 2006? 7. Name the last European golfer before Lee Westwood in 2010 to be No. 1 in the Official World Golf Rankings. (c) 2011 King Features Synd., Inc.
With Dignity & Understanding...
Good Vibrations Good Vibrations Mobile Mechanical
N & T Pet Cremation Services Our service includes..
“Caring Professional Service” “Caring Professional Service”
Michael Hubbard (Licensed Technician) Michael Hubbard Michael Hubbard 250 253 1486
Owner Owner Phone: 250 253 1486 Phone: 250 253 1486 Licensed Technicians Pick-up & Delivery Service Licensed Technicians Pick-up & Delivery Service
Parts, Repairs & Service M/C, ATV, Snowmobile, Power Equipment
- cremation for pets 400 lbs or less - free pick-up from vet offices & residential addresses in Salmon Arm area - reasonable rates - keepsake items: cedar chests, urns and jewellery at reasonable prices.
Zolt’s Small Engine Repair Shop •Lawn Mowers • Riding Mowers • Rototillers • Chain Saws • Small Outboard Motors • Trimmers • Blade Sharpening • All makes of Small Engines
Old Fashion Quality Service at a Reasonable Price 1946 Baffle Rd. (Off of Tappen Notch Hill Rd.) Ph: 250-835-2331 • Cell: 250-318-0646
Tues:Fri. 10:00am - 5:00pm Saturday 10:00am - 4:00pm
“We Know a Bling or Two”
New Items Arriving Daily at Both Locations Deck n Dock Eclectic mix of Groovy Stuff at Shuswap Lake Blind Bay Marketplace Mall • 250-675-2323 • open Tue-Sat 9:00-5:00 Scotch Creek • 250-955-0405 • open Tue-Sat 9:00-5:00
For Advertising Call 250-803-4664
Tidbits of the Shuswap
Dog Leaves His Mark While Owners Sleep
On May 7, 1896, Dr. H.H. Holmes, one of America’s first well-known serial killers, is DEAR PAW’S CORNER: About a year ago, Have you mentioned this problem to Budhanged to death in Philadelphia. Although not as we adopted an 18-month-old mutt. “Buddy” is dy’s vet and had him examined for any well known as Jack the Ripper, authorities disa great dog, but he has one continuing prob- physical problem? It’s always good to make covered the remains of more than 200 victims lem: He urinates and defecates in the living sure he’s healthy. Also talk to the vet about on Holmes’ property.
room in the middle of the night. We don’t feed or water him after about 7 p.m., and I take him out nightly at 10. He is otherwise very well housebroken. The only thing that has worked so far is putting him in his crate overnight, but my husband says it’s cruel. Is there any other solution? -- Janice in Lewiston, Calif.
Buddy being adopted. He may have picked up a bad habit at his former home, or he might still be experiencing some stress from leaving one home and then coming to another one. If the problem is behavioral, continue housebreaking with Buddy. A key part of stopping the overnight elimination is to not allow him into areas of the house in which DEAR JANICE: Actually, crating is one of he has already left his “mark,” so to speak. the first methods to try in this case, and it can If this is not possible, you may have to be successful in stopping the problem (though continue with the crating, or you may want not necessarily the behavior, as Buddy has to consult a professional trainer for more indemonstrated). But some people do feel that depth ideas on solving this dilemma. crating is cruel, so I understand your husband’s feelings about it. (c) 2011 King Features Synd., Inc.
OH, BROTHER! “Ain’t no other like a brother” goes the old saying. Tidbits brings you facts about some of the more famous male siblings. • If you’ve seen “Duck Soup,” “Horse Feathers,” “Monkey Business” or “Animal Crackers,” you’ve seen a movie starring the famous Marx Brothers: Groucho, Harpo and Chico. Although only three brothers appeared in the films, there were actually two other brothers, Gummo and Zeppo, who dropped out of the group to follow their own entertainment careers. Groucho was born Julius, Harpo was Adolph, Leonard changed his name to Chico, Milton changed to Gummo, and Zeppo was really Herbert. Harpo, portrayed as a harp-playing mute in a curly wig, was not really mute at all. Up until the 1914 vaudeville play “Home Again,” he regularly spoke, but when the playwright forgot to give him any lines, his new image was born.
CLUB CARD Earn Points Get Money Back With 3 locations to serve you
Barber Shop 250.675.2664
•Salmon Arm 250-832-1966
K WAL IN
2809 CAEN RD.
MUST SELL!! 14’ Shuffleboard Excellent Condition, Solid Construction. $500 obo Call 803-4603
PREMIER FRANCHISE OPPORTUNITY
On May 6, 1937, the airship Hindenburg, the largest dirigible ever built and the pride of Nazi Germany, bursts into flames upon touching its mooring mast in Lakehurst, N.J., killing 36 passengers and crewmembers. The lighter-than-air craft was lifted by highly flammable hydrogen gas. On May 5, 1945, in Lakeview, Ore., Mrs. Elsie Mitchell and five neighborhood children are killed while attempting to drag a Japanese balloon out of the woods. Unbeknownst to Mitchell and the children, the balloon was armed, and it exploded soon after they began tampering with it. On May 3, 1952, a ski-modified U.S. Air Force C-47 piloted by Lt. Col. Joseph O. Fletcher of Oklahoma and Lt. Col. William P. Benedict of California becomes the first aircraft to land on the North Pole. A moment later, Fletcher climbed out of the plane and walked to the exact geographic North Pole, probably the first person in history to do so. On May 4, 1965, San Francisco Giants outfielder Willie Mays hits his 512th career home run to break Mel Ott’s National League record for home runs. Mays would finish his career with 660 home runs, good for third on the all-time list at the time of his retirement. On May 2, 1972, after nearly five decades as director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, J. Edgar Hoover dies just as the Watergate affair is about to explode onto the national stage. An inquiry later revealed that the FBI had illegally protected President Richard Nixon from investigation. On May 8, 1988, Stella Nickell is convicted of murder by a Seattle jury. She was the first person to be found guilty of violating the Federal Anti-Tampering Act after putting cyanide in Excedrin capsules in an effort to kill her husband. She began planning his death after their 1976 honeymoon. (c) 2011 King Features Synd., Inc.
How would you like to publish your own paper instead of simply reading one? Tidbits® is a popular full colour weekly newspaper now publishing in Canada. For a limited time only areas in B.C and Alberta are only $10,000. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to improve your quality of life, income and freedom. For more information call 250-803-4664 (toll free 1-866-859-0609) or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Matching Homeowners with Pre-Qualified Housesitters
Flashback Answers 1. Dusty Springfield in 1963. Samantha Fox covered the song in 1988. 2. The Isley Brothers in 1959. Amazingly, the song Sports Quiz never rose higher than No. 47 on the charts, but became gold through long use. “Shout” continues to be played Answers at athletic events and weddings. 3. Claudine Clark, who also composed the song. 1. Alabama, 1995-97. 4. The Bobbettes, an all-girl group from Harlem, wrote 2. Eleven players. the 1957 song about a crush on a schoolteacher. The 3. Philadelphia’s DeSean Jackson, original version was negative about poor Mr. Lee and in 2009. had to be rewritten. 4. Jim Jackson (1989-92) and Evan 5. Ike and Tina Turner, in 1966. Except you won’t hear Turner (2007-10). Ike. Legend has it he was paid $20,000 to stay out of 5. Wayne Gretzky and Jimmy the studio while it was recorded. Carson, both 19 years old. 6. Player. The 1977 song has been used in films and 6. Italy. currently is being used in a commercial for Swiffer. 7. Nick Faldo, in 1994.
Ineke Hughes email@example.com 250-833-5634 Trivia Answers 1. Orion 2. Frey is the Norse god of fertility 3. Methane 4. Orson Welles 5. Edward II 6. U.S.S. Holland 7. James Montgomery Flagg 8. U.S. Virgin Islands 9. Richard Wright 10. Estes Kefauver
Tidbits of the Shuswap
For Advertising Call 250-803-4664
Shuswap & Vernon
CLASSIFIEDS WANTED Older Canadian & American coin collections & accumulations. Confidential, private, prompt. Immediate payment 250-548-3670 For Sale - Black & Decker chop off saw prof. brand $30 Utility trailer 8x5 flatdeck $300 o.b.o. 250-542-1449 For Sale 5th Wheel Trailer Tandem. Used for hauling backhoe. GVW 11,800kg Vac. over-hyd $4500 250832-9873 Free Alzheimers/Dementia Screening Also Individualized ReTeaching, Coaching, Cueing, Supervision and Respite Care: Roberts Seymour Group 250-558-8792 For Sale Trailer Hitch 15000 lb Reese slider 5th wheel $300. 5th Wheel tailgate for 97 GMC $70 250-5424711 For Sale 2x 16.5” multi white 8 hole truck rims & 1 16.5” x 9.5 good tire. $50 obo 250-503-0781 For Sale Kubota Lawnmower exc. cond. 4 cycle with grass catcher $175 obo call 250-832-4123
For Sale: Ottomanpadded beige leatherette. 24” x 16” x 16” Hinged top to access useful storage space. perfect cond. $30 250-546-6454 Need Help with Yardwork? Pruning, trimming, general cleanup Call Steve 250-307-3016 Reasonable rates. For Sale 27” JVC Colour TV 6 years old. Excellent condition $75 Call Carrie or Clay 250-803-4102 Salmon Arm For Sale Upholstered couch 8 feet long good cond. $25 832-2355 For Sale Red 25`` Wheel Mountain Bike. Girls model Store new $250 250-503-3826 Vernon For Sale 4 Wheel Electric Scooter exc cond. New batteries. Ready to go! $1500 call 250-307-0859 For Sale: Beachcomber round hot tub. 76”od x 32” H 110v 4 person 3 car lights model 320m Blue. Asking $750 call 250-542-1291 For Sale 1992 88’Oldsmobile $1200 obo 542-1430
For Sale Vanguard Camper 11ft. 3 way fridge, oven, queen size bed, toilet & sink. no hot water tank. Excellent shape asking $2200 250-832-7005 For Sale Autographed Wedel Clark Hockey Stick, 8x10 Autographed John Olerud Photo and NEW Dallas Cowboys Aikman (1995) Jersey $55 Each. Call 250-5032086 For Sale 1993 Coachmen 5th Wheel. 30’ white complete with new Hitch. Great condition inside and out. In Vernon $7000 o.b.o. call 778-475-0614 For Sale: 1994 Rustler 5th wheel. 27.5’ New tires, foam undercoated, new matress, NS, NP, full awning and full bath, hitch inc. $8000 250-542-6915 For Sale: Like new ReFinished 5th wheel tailgate c/w towing mirrors. fits 19952002 Dodge Ram p/u $125 obo 542-1291 For Sale 8’ Vanguard Camper. Fridge,stove,hydraulic jacks $1000 obo 250542-1430
For Sale Snowblower 5hp, 24” 2 stage blower. 5 forward and 1 reverse speed. $600 obo...1 Taupe micro suede green sofa and love seat $500...1 lateral metal filing cabinet, 2 drawer, 36” wide 18” depth. Call Carrie or Clay 250-803-4102 Salmon Arm For Sale Exercise Bike - Recumbent style - exc. cond. Very cheap at $50 ph: 250546-6454 For Rent 1 rm w/sunroom attached. Private exit to yard, private bathroom. kitchen & Laundry use Internet & all util., parking inc. Available immed. $550 250-260-3400 For Sale 2004 Jimmy 4x4 2dr, auto, air, 112k $8000. Oversized sofa & couch $450, Beer Fridge $60, 2007 Snowbear utility trailer $800 250-275-0766 Vernon For Sale: Potted Trees & Shrubs - May Day, Willow, Maple, Ash, Cotoneaster, Nanking Cherry, Apricot & so on. Priced by size & variety 250-503-0781
Massachusetts brothers George, Charles and Edward Parker got into the toy and game business in 1883, and since that time, Parker Brothers has brought us more than 1,800 games, including Monopoly, Sorry, Trivial Pursuit, Clue and Aggravation. In 1934, in the midst of the Great Depression, they introduced Monopoly. It’s estimated that more than a billion people have played the popular board game. Can you name the elderly man in the tuxedo, with his cane and top hat that is seen in the game? It’s Rich Uncle Pennybags!
• When the Sullivan brothers, George, Francis, Joseph, Madison and Albert, enlisted in the U.S.
For Sale 2003 VW Jetta 1.8 Turbo, mint cond. loads of extras 130k $11,500 obo call 250-832-4123 For Sale. Yamaha electric keyboard TSR79. 49 full size keys w/ stand. $125 call 250832-5191 For Sale 1980 Collector Yamaha 650, Good cond. Shaft drive, new tires & battery $2000 obo call 250-832-4123 Wanted: Large desk or conference table, min. 80” long. Wood preffered. 250-833-4866 For Sale: Oil Painting on canvas. Scene- sail fishing boats moored in harbor. $75 250546-6454 FREE to good home. 2x 1yr old cats. Fixed, all shots, well trained. Ind/Out 1 black/1red. Vernon call 250-260-3400
For Sale Utility trailer 5x9 Well built, $150. Johnson 4 Hp Outboard motor w/two gas tanks 250-833-4803 For Sale 1 single head commercial expresso machine. $400 Commercial Coffee Grinder $600. Commercial Ice machine (makes 25 lbs of ice $600 Open to offers Call Janet 250833-1909 Salmon Arm
Wanted: FULL logging truck load of birch for firewood. 250-8334866 For Sale Campers shortwave am/fm radio w/3” tv & ext. batt. pack $45. Elec. weed eater $25. 5 disk cd player w/remote $30. Campers propane stove w/sm tank $25. Beginners guitar w/ new strings $30. Wall & mantle clocks $25 & up. Call Bob in vernon For Sale Hay Bal- 250-549-7015 ers $1000 each. Will For Sale: 12 x 54 MillDemo! 40 hp & under ing Machine 5HP, 3 Farm Tractors $1000 & phase Turret head, up 250-545-6622 bridgeport style, digiFor Sale Brass Tree tal x,y power feed. wall ornament-oriental in $7700 250-835-8445 style.30” w x 15” $40 250546-6454
military personnel from combat duty if another family member has already been killed in action.
OH, BROTHER! (continued): • You probably won’t recognize the names of the Eichelbaum brothers, Harry, Albert and Jack. The name they adopted after opening a Hollywood production company in 1919 is much more familiar. Calling themselves the Warner Brothers, these movie executives produced “The Jazz Singer” in 1927 and went on to bring us scores of other famous films.
250-803-4664 or 1-866-859-0609 firstname.lastname@example.org
E P P E L CONSTRUCTION LTD.
Greg Eppel Licensed Builder
Cell: 250.371.7312 email@example.com
• The German-born Brothers Grimm, Jakob and Wilhelm, began publishing folk tales, legends and fairy tales in the early 1800s. Their volumes brought us hundreds of stories, such as Rumpelstiltskin, Hansel & Gretel, Cinderella, Little Red Riding Hood, Snow White and The Elves & the Shoemaker.
Navy in January of 1942, they stipulated that they all wanted to serve together. The Navy did “Good morning, Mr. Phelps” and “Good morning, Marshall Dillon” were greetings not strictly enforce their policy of separating directed toward two brothers in their wellsiblings, and all five were assigned to the U.S.S. known television roles. Peter Aurness, better Juneau. Just over 10 months later, during the known as Peter Graves, starred as Impossible Battle of Guadalcanal, the Juneau was struck Mission Force Agent Jim Phelps on TV’s by a Japanese torpedo, and all five Sullivan “Mission Impossible” from 1967 to 1973. brothers were killed. The family, including the His brother James Aurness, who changed the sole surviving child, sister Genevieve, was not spelling to Arness, was a familiar figure in notified of their fate until two months later. As the role of U.S. Marshall Matt Dillon on TV’s a result of their deaths, the War Department’s long-running western “Gunsmoke.” Sole Survivor Policy was instituted to protect
SALMON ARM - 250 832 2101 REVELSTOKE - 250 837 5284
DL#5171 & 5172 Call For All Vehicles... IMMEDIATE FULLY RECONDITIONED COME CHECK OUT OVER 80 PRE-OWNED VEHICLES Credit Approval & INSPECTED Salmon Arm DL 5171 832-2101 • Revelstoke DL 5172 837-5284 • Toll Free 1-877-603-FORD (3673)