Free! Check out our NEW To Advertise Call: Kid’s Page! 303-994-9683
Of Douglas County Colorado The Neatest Little Paper Ever Read!®
Issue 708 - March 14, 2011
Come Visit Parker Trailers at the Rocky Mountain Horse Expo March 11-13, 2011 at the National Western Complex CHECK OUT OUR RAFFLE!!
TIDBITS® LOOKS FOR
PARKER TRAILERS, INC. 900 S BROMPTON WAY PARKER, COLORADO 80134 303-841-4910 888-471-3025 WWW.PARKERTRAILERS.COM
Aspen Creek Family Medicine 19641 E. Parker Square Drive Suite A Parker, Colorado 80134 (303) 840-3800 Fax: (303) 840-8842
Dr. Michael Paul Elder, D.O. & Dr. Christian Whittington, M.D.
New Patients Receive FREE Skin Examinations FREE Consultations for Osteopathic Manipulations www.aspencreekfamilymedicine.com
Front Page Classifieds
Queen Pillowtop A Brand New Queen Pillowtop Mattress set, with warranty. $159 Delivery Available 303--758-1312 New King Pillowtop Mattress Set
$599 Brand New All Wood 5 PC Bedroom Set in box w/ manufacturer’s warr. Call Del 303-758-1323.
Pottery Barn Style New Panel Bedroom Set $1799 Stunning Espresso Raised panel window frame. Solid & foundation with wood dovetailed drawers warranty. Delivery Avail. with felt lining, unique Call 303-758-1312 nickel hardware. 7-Piece Set incl- udes Bed, Beautiful Cherry Formal Dining Room Dresser, Mirror, Nitestand, & 5 piece drawer chest! Set-8 piece Table w/leaf, 2 arm chairs, & 4 List price $5,800 Will Sell $1799 303-758-1323 side chairs. NEW!!! All in orginal Boxes. All Solid hardwood.Lists for over $3000, must sell $899 Delivery Avl Call: 303-758-1323
WILDFLOWERS by Patricia L. Cook
Experts estimate that there are over 20,000 species of flowering plants in North America, belonging to about 300 different families. Wildflowers are the ones that grow in the wild, without cultivation. • There are “native” wildflowers that are indigenous to the continent and “naturalized” wildflowers that have been introduced from some other part of the world. Native and naturalized wildflowers share a common distinction: They are able to grow on their own in nature. • Wildflowers grow in cold and hot areas as well as in wet and dry places. Deserts may appear so dry that nothing will grow, but there will still be wildflowers when the conditions are right. Conversely, marshes and swamps appear so wet that flowers can not survive, but they can have wildflowers as well. Many people have attempted to cultivate wildflower gardens. Some wildflowers are agreeable to this, and others refuse cultivation.
Is Your Daughter’s Diamond Bigger Than Yours?
W G eB ol u d y
110 2 8 S P i k e s P e a k D r | Pa r k e r | 3 0 3 - 8 41 - 2 6 6 6
w w w. P i n e t r e e J e w e l e r s . c o m
• Wildflowers are varied in looks, growth forms and usefulness. Some are considered grand in appearance and wanted in home and park gardens, while others are a bane to our lawns and roadsides. Some are unusual with “personalities” that will amaze you. turn the page for more!
New Leather Sofa In original plastic with warranty $599 Can Deliver 303-758-1323.
WANT TO RUN YOUR OWN BUSINESS? Paper in Your Publish Paper in Area Publish aa We provide the opportunity for success!
Call 1.800.523.3096 (U.S.) 1.866.631.1567 (CAN) www.tidbitsweekly. com
Under New Management
’ve We ved! o M
2011 Texas Bragg 5x10 Single Axle Flatbed 2900# GVW
When When you you mention mention this this ad! ad!
(303)663-5578 $1198 PB10785
2011 Texas Bragg 6x10 Single Axle Flatbed 2900# GVW
Call Kyle Shimizu at:
Installed from $495 + Tax Call for appointment
www.topartrailers.com 14185 US Hwy 24, Peyton, CO
729 Barranca Dr #103 Castle Rock, CO Come see us at our new location AskRock, us about testing 303-663-2752 for nutrient deficiencies 500 2nd St, Castle CO 80104
All Through The House Handyman & Remodeling
Dr. Heather Kuder, D.C. 562 Castle Pines Parkway
- Free Estimates Call Today
Tidbits® of Douglas County
WILDFLOWERS (continued): • Skunk cabbage is a swamp-loving plant that is well named. It blooms in February and March in swampy areas and produces an odd-looking flower before producing any leaves. The flowers resemble pins in a pincushion. When the plant is bruised, it smells awful.
For Advertising Call Tim (303)994-9683 Interesting
Trust the Experienced & Honest mechanics at... DOUGLAS COUNTY DIESEL DIESEL EMISSIONS PERFORMANCE REPAIR ALL MAINTENANCE SERVICES DOT INSPECTIONS TRUCKS & TRAILERS
• Native Americans used the orange sap of the bloodroot plant to color or paint their faces for warfare or ceremonies and to dye baskets. The flowers on a bloodroot plant are so delicate that it cannot be picked successfully. The petals fall off with the slightest touch or breeze. The sap comes from the stem. • Mistletoe is a plant we traditionally associate with Christmas. Unlike most wildflowers that are rooted in soil, this plant is termed a “semi-parasite” because it draws water and minerals from a host plant. It typically grows on hardwood trees in the southern United States producing small white berries coated with a sticky substance that is toxic to humans. • Dodder or Love Vine is unusual because it is a true parasite. Unlike semi-parasitic mistletoe, which produces green leaves, dodder vines are gold in color. Shortly after dodder seeds sprout, root-like structures attach themselves to a host plant, and the dodder plant draws all of its nourishment from the host plant. Common Dutch clover is a host plant for several dodder species. •
The Southern or evergreen magnolia is emblematic of the Southern states in America. The flower is the State Flower for Louisiana and Mississippi. What some readers may not know is the large size of this flower. Flowers range from 7 to 10 inches across — That’s the size of a dinner plate! Also interesting is that magnolia flowers are pollinated by beetles.
1221 Caprice Drive Castle Rock, CO 80109
Making medications that fit our patients... Hours: Mon - Fri 10a - 6p And by Appointmennt
“Bio-identical” Hormone Replacement Hormone Consultations with Saliva Testing Pain Management • Dermatologic Preparations • Dental Preparations Pediatric Formulations • Nutritional Supplements • O2 Bar & Aromatherapy Veterinary Preparations
10469 S. Progress Way # 103 • Parker CO 80134
• Wildflower festivals are popular in many different areas. The 25th Annual Mountain Flower Fine Art & Wine Festival in Dahlonega, Georgia, is held the third weekend in May. The Dahlonega Master Gardeners present wildflower displays, walks and tours. • The Mount Pisgah Arboretum in Oregon also has a Wildflower Festival in May. Always the Sunday after Mother’s Day, this year’s event will be May 15, 2011. Guided hikes are available, and 300 to 400 species of wildflowers are displayed. • The Waterton Wildflower Festival is a nine-day event in June at Waterton Lakes National Park in Alberta, Canada, across the border from Glacier National Park. Waterton is an International Peace Park and World Heritage Site. Due to the conjunction of prairie and mountain ecosystems, the park has a Continued on page 7
Tidbits of Douglas County Colorado Ads R Us, LLC Tim Mundy, Publisher P.O. Box 4423 Parker, CO 80134
To advertise in Tidbits: E-mail: AdsRUs@comcast.net Check us out online...
IS YOUR CRAWL SPACE MAKING YOU SICK? 20% off of complete vapor barrier
DO YOU HAVE: - Winter Allergies - Mold, Musty Odors - Bacteria - High Radon - Excess Moisture INTRODUCING THE AFFORDABLE
DRY SPACE Crawl Space Systems
Exclusively Offered by
AAMREX ENVIRONMENTAL SERVICES
ENGINEERED VAPOR BARRIER - Seal your messy crawl space - Insulate and save energy - Cleaner and Healthier Home
Advertising Call Tim (303)994-9683 For
Tidbits® of Douglas County 3
Mosquitoes Bring Heartworm Season –
Star Rogers Hughes
Prevention is Key!
Dressage • Vaulting Therapeutic • Recreational
Cats and dogs can be infected with heartworm disease by the bite from a carrier mosquito. The coyote has become the ‘natural’ reservoir for the disease. Dogs are the primary host for the disease, but cats and other animals can become infected, and the consequences are serious. Indoor cats are just as susceptible as outdoor cats!
Serious Fun for Mind and Body!
Cat Q & A
The good news is that this disease can be prevented. There is no effective treatment once your cat is infected, so prevention is the key. A safe, monthly topical medication is the best way to protect your cat(s). If you have questions please call our hospital.
Please call 303.663.2287 (CATS) for more information or visit www.catspecialist.com
Dr. James Olson - The Meow Doc
Toys Your Cat Will Love!
The Kicker – an independent play kick toy filled with catnip
Da Bird – an interactive flying play toy on a short pole
The Coil Toy – an independent play toy that many cats love
Sparkle Puffs – an independent play toy and retrieve toy
Cat Angler – an interactive play toy with the owner
Crunch Bugs – an independent play toy – crunches & crackles
Play Squeak Ball – an independent play toy
• • •
GRASS MIXES NATIVES SMALL SEED I.E. ALFALFA
RE-SEED PASTURES TO IMPROVE GRAZING, HAYING OR INCREASE COVERAGE AND GENERAL APPEARANCE OF GRASS AREAS.. WE USE A GREAT PLAINS NO-TILL DRILLSEEDER FOR BEST RESULTS
WE USE ARKANSAS VALLEY SEEDS CALL FOR ESTIMATE AND SCHEDULING ALMAR FARMS 303-805-9469 The Buddy Center Needs Your Help
Pet of the Week
Name: COLE #A0572204 9 year old neutered male, black cat with short hair.
Wooly Worm – an independent play toy that cats bite and chew
Cat Charmers – an interactive toy that exercises cats
Go Cat Go Balls – an independent play toy
Field Mowing Fencing
MARCH THRU MAY
that exercises •
Dr. James Olson, Dipl ABVP (Feline) Dr. Jennifer Olson 612 Atchison Way • Castle Rock CO 80109
Playing is a very important part of social interaction with your cat. Play (either independent or active with you) is one of the three forms of bonding and it gives your cat exercise – the other two forms of bonding are: grooming/petting and feeding. Boredom causes many behavioral problems and play resolves them! The top ten cat toys: (many of these toys we order from home industries)
4556 Castleton Court, Castle Rock, CO 80109 (303)751-5772 * www.DDFL.ORG
Driveway Road Grading
& ER Douglas M Elbert Counties E KR 303-809-8578
HUGE SAVINGS ON PREMIUM QUALITY HORSE HAY Semi-Loads @ $7.25/bale! ~~~~~~~~~~~ Licensed & Bonded
719-339-3525 • We Deliver NOW ACCEPTING:
that exercises cats •
Many more – Furry mice, Fur balls, Catnip hearts, bananas, cigars, Peacock feathers,
Mylar crinkle balls, etc. Play is one of the most important parts of a cat’s life – it simulates hunting and gives your cat a mental challenge! It emphasizes the beauty of the feline: grace, balance, speed and concentration. Cat Specialist has amazing variety of these great cat toys – come in and take look.
Dr. James K. Olson is "The Meow Doc", a nationally recognized veterinarian specializing exclusively in cats. Dr. Olson holds the title of Diplomate, Feline Specialty, from the American Board of Veterinary Practitioners. He is certified to practice nuclear medicine by the State of Colorado Department of Radiaton Safety. His practice is located in Castle Rock, Colorado. For more information please visit his comprehensive website: www.CatSpecialist.com
Time To Clean Your Carpets?
00 Clea nin Up to g Specia l 3 roo ms
Truck Mounted Equipment • Steam Cleaning Carpet Repair and Sales • Power Stretching
Accredited Carpet Care 720-937-1991
For Advertising Call Tim (303)994-9683 4 Twenty Questions Tidbits® of Douglas County
Come see what your kids will learn... A + Athletics 7104 S Dillon Ct, Centennial, CO 80112 303-953-7320 www.aplusathletics.com SPORTS QUIZ By Chris Richcreek 1. Jacoby Ellsbury and Michael Bourn, the A.L. and N.L. leaders in stolen bases in 2009, respectively, combined for 131 stolen bases. When was the last time before 2009 that the two stolen-base leaders topped 131? 2. In 2009, Philadelphia’s Roy Halladay became the second pitcher to no-hit the Florida Marlins in their history. Who was the first to do it? 3. When was the last time before the 2009 season that Ohio State and Oregon met in the Rose Bowl? 4. In the summer of 2009, Quentin Richardson was traded four times. Name three of the five NBA teams involved in the deals. 5. How many goaltenders played at least 70 games in the 2009-10 NHL season? 6. Who was the first NASCAR driver to be named Athlete of the Year by The Associated Press? 7. Name the only Grand Slam event tennis player Justine Henin did not win during her career? Answers 1. Brian Hunter (74) and Tony Womack (60) combined for 134 in 1997. 2. The Los Angeles Dodgers’ Ramon Martinez, in 1995. 3. It was after the 1957 season. 4. The Knicks, Grizzlies, Clippers, Timberwolves and Heat. 5. Six -- Martin Brodeur, Henrik Lundqvist, Miikka Kiprusoff, Jonathan Quick, Craig Anderson and Evgeni Nabokov. 6. Jimmie Johnson, in 2009. 7. Wimbledon was not among her seven Grand Slam titles.
NEW & USED SPORTING EQUIPMENT M-F 10:30a - 7:30p Saturday 9a - 6p Sunday 11a - 4p
4760 Castleton Way - Castle Rock - 80109
Now Hiring Sales People. Call for an interview.
Brought to you by
Answers: 1. Metallurgy 2. Metaphysics 3. Meteor 4. Methuselah 5. Mexicali 6. Miami 7. Michael 8. Michelangelo 9. Michigan 10. Microbiology 11. Middle Ages 12. Migraine 13. Migration 14. Milan 15. Milky Way 16. Millennium 17. Minister 18. Mites 19. Mockingbird 20. Mohawk Made Possible by:
We will do the work and get you to the first page.
Chunky’s Towing 720--560-6763
Bob Lowry Neighborhood Exclusive Agent
Allstate Insurance Company 201 S Wilcox St. #2A Castle Rock
King Crossword Puzzle Brought to you by:
Neighborhood Exclusive Agent
Sudoku Made Possible By
303.688.1966 Bob Lowry
1. What do you call the science or technology of extracting metals from ores, purifying them, and making useful objects from metals? 2. Name the branch of philosophy that studies the ultimate nature and structure of the world. 3. What do you call the visible light that is seen when a solid object from space encounters the earth’s atmosphere? 4. The oldest person to have ever lived (969 years) is mentioned in the Old Testament. What was his name? 5. Name the town located on the Mexican border that is the capital of the state of Baja California, situated in the northwestern part of the country, opposite Calexico, California. 6. It could be a beach in Florida, a University in Ohio, or a city in northeastern Oklahoma. Name it. 7. What is the name of the archangel mentioned in both the Old and New Testaments? 8. Name the Renaissance artist that carved the marble statue of David and painted the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel in Rome. 9. Capital of this state is Lansing. Name the state. 10. Name the branch of biology that deals with the study of the morphology, physiology, and interrelationships of plants and animals of microscopic and submicroscopic size. 11. What is the term employed to designate the period in European history between Ancient and Modern times? 12. What do most people call a really bad headache? 13. What is the word used to describe the movement of animals from one place to another? 14. Name the second largest city in Italy. 15. What word do we use to name the hazy glow in the sky created from the light of the billions of stars in our own galaxy? 16. What do you call the period of one thousand years? 17. Name the word, taken from the Latin word for “servant”, that is used to designate an individual with authority to conduct Christian rites or services? 18. The largest of this species are called ticks. 19. What is the name of the bird that is famous for its beautiful song and its ability to imitate the calls of other birds and some human sounds? 20. What do you call the style of haircut where a single row of hair is left down the center of the head and the rest is shaved bald?
Is your website getting noticed?
We pay cash for Junk Cars & Trucks! Se habla Español
For Advertising Call Tim (303)994-9683 Tidbits® of Douglas County Harris Home Health 5 March is National Nutrition Month! What are you going to do to eat healthier? At Harris Home Health, we assist our clients by providing an individual specific nutrition plan in addition we provide prepared meals for all types of Ryan Harris diets! Meet with our registered dietician who is our food and nutrition professional, transforming the science of nutrition into practical solutions for healthy living in your own home! At Harris Home Health we also provide other medical and non-medical health services for our clients. This includes assistance to patients in the following health need areas: Alzheimer management, cancer treatment and recovery, physical therapy, long term disability, diabetic management and prevention, palliative care, and end of life care. Get started today by calling us at 720-457-3171 or visit our website at www.harrishomehealth.com. We take pride in all that we do. Your happiness makes our success. Remember, Harris Home Health is care you can count on! Please see our ad on page 6 of Tidbits.
We love to pamper your pets! FREE* Boarding
r Exp tee ir th es
Boarding n n n n
Open 7 days a week General & Medical Boarding Caring & Compassionate Staff Veterinarians on site 24 hrs a day
651 Topeka Way, Suite 600 Castle Rock, CO 80104
Last year’s recipient was Sky Cliff Center, an adult Day Care and stroke support group. Here is what they had to say about the project.
EXECUTIVE TANS ▲ ▼
5Tans for $25. Or 1 FREE Upgrade!
“Midgrade Beds Only”
Spring is just around the corner!
Stroh Ranch Shopping Center 13097 S. Parker Rd. Unit C
3/3 whi 1/2 ten 01 in 1 g
Located inside ITC Compounding Pharmacy
The Douglas Elbert REALTOR® Association is gearing up for our 2011 Helping Hands ourtreach to the community program. We are looking for non-profit organizations in need of improvements such as yard work, painting, and small construction projects that do not require permits at their facility. REALTORS®, volunteers and professionals with various skills and talents will perform the needed improvements.
531 Jerry St. • Castle Rock, CO 80104
To fill out an application, go to our website at
Full Service Grooming Salon
VCA Douglas County Animal Hospital (303) 688-2480
LASER Teeth Whitening
*Board your pet for 9 days & get 10th night FREE. Current vaccines required. Not to be combined with any other offer.
Harris Home Health 19641 East Parker Square Drive, Suite C Parker, CO 80134 720-457-3171
Advanced Skin Care
On behalf of the participants, staff and board of directors of the Sky Cliff Adult Day Care and Stroke Center I thank you and all the individuals that participated in and/or donated to the Helping Hands Work Project. The work completed is truly beyond words of appreciation, but is reflected in the smiles and hearts of our participants and staff. The Sky Cliff Center was blessed by the outpouring of support from the Douglas Elbert REALTOR® Association. If you know of an organization that would benefit from this program, please pass along the enclosed application to the appropriate person representing the organization. The application can also be found on our website at www.derarealtors.com. All applications need to be received by March 25, 2011. The recipient will be chosen on April 1, 2011, and the project will take place August 19th and 20th. Please submit all completed applications by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, fax to DERA at 303-6886053 or mail to the Douglas Elbert REALTOR® Association at 840 Kinner St., Castle Rock, CO 80109. You will receive a confirmation that the form has been received. If you have any questions, please feel free to give us a call at 303-688-0941.
Legacy Plow & Trailer, Inc. Complete Trailer & Plow Repair
Rob Shields 303-841-1798
6272 E. Pine Lane Parker, CO 80138
We Install Screens! Marv’s General Hom e Repair
Certified: • Glass Replacement • Lead based paints
Check us out on Facebook 303-519-3643 Call for a consultation or to place an order
email@example.com We make custom candy bouquets for every occasion. Taking your favorite candies and chocolate's and transforming them into vibrant flowers. Let me create something wild for the ones you love. Locally owned and operated in the heart of downtown Denver. Whether you need one bouquet or 20, each is made by hand with incredible detail, stunning color schemes and are so gorgeous you’ll have a hard time putting down the camera and devouring them!
Tidbits® of Douglas County
303.660.0072 Tues - Fri 10 - 6
Sat 9 - 4
For Advertising Call Tim (303)994-9683 The Gem Advisor
The Gem Advisor Zambian
- Cut, Split Firewood - Chiminea Wood
- Cut, Split Firewood
Patio & Garden
- Chainsaw Art - Rustic Log Furniture - Masonry Patios - BBQs & Firepits - Traeger Grills Franktownfirewood.com
In Franktown at the Corner of Hwys 83 & 86
Concrete Work Kitchens & Baths Foundation walls Home Maintenance Custom Carpentry Decks & Basements
15% OFF Labor/no service fee for Senior Citizens & Disabled Vets!
Custom Log Work Stone & Brick Hardwood flooring Plumbing Electrical Tile/Countertops Interior/ExteriorPainting
The Zambian emerald, although discovered in the late 40's, was not commercially mined until the 1950's. Today Zambia, located in south-central Africa, is one of the world's leading producers of ﬁne emerald. The Zambian emerald is greatly esteemed for its remarkable clarity and its intense color: green through and through. It also retains its magniﬁcent hue even in small stones of less than 0.5 ct. Another attraction is price – Zambian emeralds are less expensive in the high-end ranges as prices are three to ﬁve times higher for Colombian emeralds than for Zambian, a factor attributable to worldwide demand. Zambia is the ﬁrst emerald producer to give consumers who cannot spend the enormous sums charged for ﬁne emeralds a chance to buy eye-clean stones on a regular basis. If you would like to see a couple of truly beautiful Zambian emeralds stop in anytime and I’ll be happy to show them to you. Scott McQueen is the owner of Pinetree Jewelers, Parker’s oldest jewelry store established in 1976. It is located at 11028 S. Pikes Peak Drive in Parker. For more information on gemstones or jewelry of any kind call 303.841.2666
MADE YOU LOOK!
Trust... The only Bank that Didn’t need a Handout!
(303)840-8484 16790 Centre Ct Parker, CO
High Plains Renovation Ltd. Roofing, Siding, Gutters
DaVinci Flooring, INC Offering only the best in Quality & Craftsmanship Commerical & Residential
Natural Stone Ceramic Porcelain Tile Custom Shower Pans Grout/Tile Sealing Maintenance Programs Hardwood Installs Hardwood Sand/Refinish Laminate Flooring Carpet & Vinyl
DOES YOUR DRIVEWAY LOOK LIKE THIS? Patios Sidewalks Driveways Basements Garage Floors Colored Concrete
Call today to get it fixed right away!
Concrete Mike Virus Removal Computer Repair Wireless Networking Data Backup & Recovery Upgrades
Advertise With Tidbits Thousands of eyes are watching! www.ILoveTidbits.com
On-Site Computer Service
Home Health Care you can count on.
Insurance Claim Specialists Licensed/Insured Locally Owned References Parker, CO
Ph. 720.833.8208 Fax 720.306.2882 E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Mention Tidbits ad for a discount!
19641 East Parker Square Drive, Suite C, Parker, CO 80134
For Advertising Call Tim (303)994-9683 Tidbits Information Tidbits® of Douglas County 7 WILD FLOWERS (continued):
truly unique variety of wildflowers. It is home to more than 50 of Canada’s rarest flowers including 30 species that aren’t found anywhere else in the world. In fact, Waterton has more flowers than any other mountain park. The festival has educational courses, art exhibits, workshops, hikes and even horseback rides.
• When Boyle came onto the stage for the popular reality show, the reaction from the judges and the crowd was kind of ho hum — Here we go again with another bad audition! Although her looks were plain, her banter with the judges revealed her jovial, funny personality. Then she had the opportunity to wow the audience, the judges and the world, which she certainly did.
• Crested Butte, the official wildflower capital of Colorado, began hosting a wildflower festival in 1986. Now the week-long celebration has over 200 classes, including art and cooking classes with wildflowers. The 2011 event is set for July 11-17. • The Wildflower! Arts & Music Festival is a multi-day arts and music festival celebrating its 19th anniversary this year. Held north of Dallas in Richardson, Texas, it got its name from the wildflowers planted throughout the parks, medians and roadsides of Richardson.
• Boyle’s words while on stage, before singing, on January 21, 2009 (it aired on television on April 11), “I’m trying to be a professional singer. I’ve never been given the chance before but here’s hoping it’ll change.” Well, change happened, and it happened quickly. • Boyle sang “I Dream a Dream” from “Les Miserables” on stage that night, and her fame started spreading around the world like wildfire.
EXECUTIVES REALTY, LLC
Swiss efficiency and executive professionalism helping you find the property of your dreams Pius Schenker Broker Associate or sell your property for the best price.
• Do you know which United States’ First Lady is considered the “Environmental First Lady”? Claudia Alta Taylor Johnson, otherwise known as Lady Bird, was the wife of the 36th President, Lyndon Johnson. (The nickname was supposedly given to her by a nursemaid when she was a child who said she was “as purty as a lady bird.”) • While she was First Lady, Mrs. Johnson created the First Lady’s Committee for a More Beautiful Capital. She wanted to create natural landscaping to preserve the beauty of the nation’s capital. Later she expanded the program to include the entire nation. • In 1982, Lady Bird Johnson and actress Helen Hayes founded the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center, originally called the National Wildflower Research Center, “to introduce people to the beauty and diversity of wildflowers and other native plants.” • The center in Austin, Texas, has public gardens, woodlands and meadows and is an internationally influential research center. In 2006, the center became an Organized Research Unit of the University of Texas at Austin. • Wildflower research has far-reaching implications. One wildflower that has made a huge difference in many lives worldwide is Wild Foxglove, botanically known as Digitalis purpurea. The medicine derived from this plant is widely used today to treat heart disease. As Lady Bird has said, “Surely there are others like digitalis waiting out there.” • So, whether you’re canoeing down a stream, hiking in the woods, or observing the median on a road trip, notice the wildflowers. Realize their value to society comes from more than their natural beauty.
Artistic Iron designs and manufactures a wide range of custom steel and iron products. For more than three decades, Artistic Iron has provided unique solutions to enhance the appearance and security of homes and businesses throughout the Denver area.
• Steel Storm & Security Doors • Railings • Fences & Gates • Window guards & Well Grates • Decorative Iron
OVERCOMING THE ODDS:
In April 2009, life changed for Susan Boyle, a single ordinary woman from Blackburn, West Lothian, Scotland. She may have looked ordinary, but she definitely didn’t sound that way. • Boyle was born April 1, 1961, the youngest of nine children. Her mother was 47 at the time of her birth, and Boyle was deprived of oxygen briefly during the difficult birth. She has some difficulties learning and because of this was bullied as a child. • Singing in her local Catholic Church brought Boyle great joy and also helped her to express herself. Her lovely voice was known by those in her hometown who had heard her. She also sang karaoke locally and dreamed of singing professionally. Fred O’Neil, her voice coach, encouraged her to audition for “Britain’s Got
• Entry Doors • Tables & Chairs Count on Artistic Iron for design, quality and security...plus an experience you'll truly enjoy. Whatever your needs, Artistic Iron can provide the perfect solution. We look forward to serving you. Call for a FREE in-home estimate:
303-791-6440 • 7241 W Titan Road, Littleton, CO www.ArtisticUSA.com
For Advertising Call 8 Strange But True Tim (303)994-9683
Tidbits® of Douglas County
STRANGE BUT TRUE By Samantha Weaver
When you hear someone say “ homegrown “ what do you think of?
¥ It was Kurt Vonnegut, one of the most influential writers of the 20th century, who made the following sage observation: “There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope they are organized along the lines of the Mafia.”
When you here someone say "homegrown " what do you think of ? Cucumbers ? Tomatoes ? Lettuce ? Well fact is , homegrown fruits and vegetables are quite simply the best tasting foods you could grow or buy . Why do you think Farmer's Markets are so popular?Exactly . The food there is 100% better than anything you can find at a grocery store . Just where do these fruits and vegetables come from? Well around here , probably somebody's back yard or farm. The only problem is you can't grow year round outdoors here in Colorado . Maybe if you had a greenhouse , or better yet , you could grow right inside your own house . Absolutely ! All you need is a light , some type of growing media, nutrients, and seeds . Indoor horticultural equipment has evolved over the last few decades from a simple light and some soil in a bucket to elaborate hydroponic grow chambers to even aquaponics . Yep. You can grow fruits and vegetables and raise edible fish all within the same space . If you want to grow the healthiest , greatest tasting fruits and vegetables where you live, I can get you started growing today . Come visit me at High Country Hydro , 12543 N. Hwy 83 ste. 300, Parker , CO. 80134 . If you have any questions call 303-840-3340 or email me; email@example.com My name is Eric . See you soon.
Located in Parker Sunlight Supply LED Grow Supply Advanced Nutrients Advanced LED Lights National Garden Wholesale Stealth Grow LED & Many more!
¥ That cork you pulled out of your wine bottle was made from the bark of a tree. The cork oak has to grow for 25 years before any cork is harvested, and then it’s stripped only every 10 years thereafter.
¥ If you can predict the future by watching the flight patterns of birds, you are engaging in ornithomancy.
For orders or delivery call or email:
¥ The coldest place on earth is a place known only as Ridge A in Antarctica. The average winter temperature there is -94 degrees F.
¥ According to archaeological research, the bikini is nothing new; evidence has been found that the two-piece garment was worn in parts of Italy as early as 2000 B.C. ¥ In 1950, 70 percent of all the cars, buses and trucks in the world could be found in the United States.
SunMarke Executive Suites
Located in the Stroh Ranch neighborhood of Parker
¥ According to the Consumer Electronics Association, the average television screen in United States homes is growing by 1 inch every year. ¥ It was Ambrose Bierce, in his “Devil’s Dictionary,” who defined “admiration” as “our polite recognition of another’s resemblance to ourselves.” • Fully Furnished • Conference Room • Break Room • On-site Property Management • Janitorial Service 12900 Stroh Ranch Way Parker, CO 80134
Advisor Commercial Realty
’s n aw h S
CENTRAL AUTOS Mi
Most vehicles include a 7
of Castle Rock, Doing Pre-owned Better
2008 BMW 7 Series
3 year/36,000 mile Engine Warranty
2003 Acura RL
Eric High Country Hydro Parker, CO 303-840-3340
1015 Park St, Castle Rock, CO 80109
(c) 2011 King Features Synd., Inc.
¥ Ever wonder why magazine publisher Hugh Hefner chose a rabbit as the symbol of his Playboy magazine? Evidently, when the mogul was a small boy, one of his treasured possessions was a blanket with bunnies all over it. *** Thought for the Day: “I’ve done the calculation, and your chances of winning the lottery are identical whether you play or not.” -- Fran Lebowitz
2004 Hyundai Sonata GL 2005 Chevrolet Classic Sedan
1998 Pontiac Grand Am
2001 Ford Mustang
2003 Subaru Legacy L
Receive a $20 gas card or a FREE Pizza when you come for a test drive! No obligation to buy!
Just mention this Ad! Not valid with any other offer. Expires 3/31/11
2002 Mitsubishi Lancer
2004 Ford Super Duty F-250
HUGE INVENTORY! 180 Vehicles Available
n’s aw Sh Central
2005 Chevrolet Aveo LS
2000 Volvo S80 T6
2006 Mazda 3S Sport
1992 Lincoln Continental
2004 Chevy Trailblazer
® of Douglas County 9 Classified Page Tidbits For Advertising Call Tim (303)994-9683
Free Woman’s Hormone Seminar Looking for Income? Consider Premium Bonds As an investor, you want your money to grow so that you can achieve your important goals, such as a comfortable retirement or college for your children. But you may also invest to increase your cash Cindy Rose flow. In fact, without a strong cash flow, you may be forced to dip into your growth-oriented investments to pay for short-term needs — and if you do this repeatedly, you could damage your prospects for attaining your long-term goals. That’s why you’ll want to look at different ways of boosting your cash flow — one of which may be premium bonds. To understand the nature of premium bonds, you’ll first want to be familiar with the relationship between a bond’s price and its interest rate. When a bond is issued, it sells for face (“par”) value, which is the amount returned to the bondholder when the bond matures. This bond also comes with a “coupon” rate — the interest rate that the bond will pay throughout its lifetime. So, for example, if you paid $10,000 for a 10-year bond with a coupon rate of five percent, you would earn $500 per year, every year. If you held the bond until it matured, you’d also get your $10,000 back, provided the issuer doesn’t default. But if market interest rates move up to six percent, and you wanted to sell your five-percent bond before it matures, you’d have to offer it at a discount from the $10,000face value. Conversely, if market rates were to fall to four percent, you may be able to sell your $10,000 bond for more than its face value, because investors will be willing to pay a premium to earn the higher interest rate. Now, let’s flip the equation, so that instead of being a bond seller, you’re a buyer. If you want to increase your investment income, you might be interested in a premium bond. You pay a premium for the bond in return for higher interest payments for the life of the bond, and, if you hold it until maturity, you’ll still get the face value back (again barring a default). Furthermore, because premium bonds pay higher interest, they also pay a greater proportion of their cash flow before they mature, in comparison to discounted or “par” bonds. This helps provide for greater price stability, so if interest rates rise or fall, premium bond prices typically will not decrease or increase as much as those of discount or par bonds. Keep in mind that while premium bonds are attractive to you because of their higher interest rate, they are unattractive to bond issuers for the same reason. In fact, when market interest rates fall, some issuers may try to redeem (“call”) these bonds so that they can issue new ones at the lower rates. Obviously, if your premium bond were to be called, your cash flow might take a hit. That’s why, when investing in premium bonds, you might want to look for those that have at least limited call protection — in other words, they can’t be redeemed for a certain number of years. Your portfolio should comprise a number of different investments designed to work together to meet your longterm financial goals. So give premium bonds some consideration as part of a well-diversified portfolio. Before investing in bonds you should understand the risks involved, including interest rate risk,credit risk and market risk.
Provided to you by: Cindy Rose, Financial Advisor Edward Jones 2195 N Highway 83 #23 - Franktown, CO 80116 303.688-2127 Member SIPC
* Weight Gain? * Constant Fatigue/Poor Sleep Pattern? * Lack Of Sexual Drive? * Mood Swings? * PMS It could be hormone deficiencies or severe thyroid dysfunction. There is help for you!
Join us for a Free Women’s Hormone Seminar and receive information on our hormone analysis testing, detoxification strategies and hormone replacement therapy. A simple saliva test can help our specialists develop a treatment plan that is custom tailored to you! For more information or to RSVP call today!
651 Topeka Way, Suite 600 • Castle Rock • 80109 • www.itcpharmacy.com
Medical/Health BUY VIAGRA Cialis, Levitra, Propecia and other medications below wholesale prices. Call 1-866-506-8676 Over 70% Savings www.fastmedonline.com
Education THE OCEAN Corp. 10840 Rockley Road, Houston, Texas 77099 Train for a new Career. *Underwater Welder. Commercial Driver. *NDT/Weld Inspector. Job placement assistance. Financial Aid available for those who qualify 1-800-321-0298
Jobs START TODAY Earn Money and Have Fun! Travel USA with Enthusiastic Business Group. Cash/Bonuses Daily $500 Sign-on Bonus Tim 888-554-6270
Help Wanted SALES POSITION for the Castle Rock and Colorado Springs areas. Great Opportunity for advancement. Please call 720-733-0220 ATTN: Moms Make an extra $500 - $1000 per month while kids are at school. Call Marybeth at 720-238-3491
AKC GERMAN Shepherd puppies. Superior Quality. German & American show bloodlines. Perfect family pets only. Pictures & Pricing online at AlphaTexKennels.com or call 806-652-3458
Classified For Sale
Be Energy Independent. Classic OUTDOOR WOOD FURNANCE from Central Boiler. Heat all your building. 25 year warranty available. Call Today 303-660-0072
Misc WANTS TO purchase minerals and other oil and gas interestes? Send Details to PO Box 13557 Denver, CO 80201 Business Opportunities I’ve found a way to ‘Opt-Out’ of the recession! You too can earn a great income from home! Candy 303-526-4444 Denver’s Homeless Desperately Need Men’s, Women’s and Children’s (Size 4-12) backpacks, coats, jeans, sweat shirts, shoes, gloves, hats, blankets. In the Parker area. Call Joan at 303-841-2888 Tired of Boarding your Horses? Trade your house for a small ranch. We will finance the difference. Call Steve 303-809-7789 TIRED OF Viagra Substitutes? Fast, Easy & Affordable FDA approved Viagra Shipped Direct from our US Manufacturer! Save $$$ Over Pharmacy Costs! Call Today 888-266-4148
To Place A Classified Ad in
Please E-Mail Your Ad To AdsRus@Comcast.net or Call
Only $9 per week for the first 20 words 10 cents for every word thereafter!
Add $5 For a Box Around Your Ad!
For Advertising Call Tim (303)994-9683 10 Church information Tidbits of Douglas County
As Christians, we are to be people of faith. In fact Heb. 11:6 tells us that, “without faith, it is impossible to please Him”. God is a ‘faith-God’ so if we want to be pleasing to Him, we in turn must be people of faith. But what is faith? Is it just something that we magically conjure up in our minds and then believe will happen, or is there possibly more to it. The Bible tells us in Heb 11:1 that, “Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.” KJV So the first thing we see is that faith is now. It is not about what happened yesterday, what might happen tomorrow, it is now, it is real, and it is active. And we see that it is the substance of things we hope for. The word substance is something that is real, something that has actual existence. We could say it this way, faith is the foundation, the bedrock, the corner stone of things we hope for. But, Bible hope is something entirely different than what the world would tell us it is. Hope is a confident expectation that God is able to do that which he has promised. We have joy and confidence that God is able to do that which His Word tells us He will do. When we put that all together we see that “Faith is the foundation, the bedrock of our confident expectation in God, wow! That makes me excited, how about you? Faith is the evidence of things not seen. If we were in a court room, we would have to provide evidence of what we are testifying to. It is the exact same thing here. Faith is the proof, it is our conviction, it is the evidence that something really does exist. Where does it exist you might ask? It exists in the spiritual realm. Everything begins in the spiritual realm and then it manifests in the natural realm where we can see it with our five senses. If we could see it to begin with, we would not need to have faith for it, because we already have it. No, truth faith, Biblical faith, calls into being that which is not as though it were. And that pleases God. How did the moon and the stars and the sun come into existence? God spoke. How did the earth and the seas and all the fish and animals come into existence? God spoke. By faith God spoke what was not in the physical realm, and out of the spiritual realm, they came into being. As children of God, you and I can do the same thing. Maybe we will not make planets, but we can by faith speak life over our circumstances, life over our families, life over our finances, life over our health. And when we do, it pleases God. Will you become a God-pleaser today? Join us this Sunday at 10:30 a.m. to find our more and see our ad on this page for directions.
Chris Sutley Senior Pastor Faith Life Fellowship 303-688-1888 firstname.lastname@example.org WWW.FaithLifeDenver.Org
Churches and Non-Profit Organizations Receive a 50% discount when you advertise with Tidbits of Douglas County!!!
20% Discount 4 boxes of oatmeal or Donate 4 bottles of jam or mix or 4 cans of fruit 4 boxes of cake/pancake and receive a 20% discount in March 2011. Discount does not apply to sale items
NEW Expanded furniture and household section Douglas/Elbert Task Force 1638 Park St. Castle Rock, CO 80109 303-688-6129
Sunday Services 9:00 am & 5:00 pm 9100 E. Parker Road Parker, CO 80138 303-841-2125
NO DOGMA; just God! 10431 Park Glenn Way - Parker S. Parker Road & Plaza Drive
Join us for Inspiring Messages and a Loving Children’s Program Sunday mornings – 10 a.m. Castle Rock Recreation Center 2301 Woodlands Blvd., Castle Rock
MAKE YOUR FINANCIAL FUTURE A PRIORITY. To schedule a complimentary Portfolio review, call today.
2195 N Highway 83 #23 Franktown, CO 80116 303-688-2127
www.edwardjones.com Member SIPC
For Advertising Call Tim (303)994-9683 Moments in Time Tidbits® of Douglas County 11
Shady Tree Service ¥ On March 28, 1774, upset by acts of destruction of British property by American colonists, the British Parliament enacts the Coercive Acts. The acts included closing the port of Boston and making British officials immune to criminal prosecution in Massachusetts. ¥ On March 30, 1820, Anna Sewell, author of “Black Beauty,” is born. “Black Beauty,” the first significant children’s story in the English language to focus on animal characters, established the precedent for countless other works. The story, narrated by the horse, showed Black Beauty’s progression through a series of increasingly cruel owners. ¥ On April 2, 1863, responding to acute food shortages, hundreds of starving women riot in the Confederate capital of Richmond, Va., demanding that the government release emergency supplies. At one point, Confederate President Jefferson Davis threw his pocket change at the mob from the top of a wagon.
¥ On March 29, 1951, Julius and Ethel Rosenberg are convicted of espionage for their role in passing atomic secrets to the Soviets during and after World War II. Supporters claimed that during World War II, Russia had been an ally, not an enemy. The husband and wife were executed in 1953. ¥ On April 1, 1963, the ABC television network airs the premiere episode of “General Hospital,” the daytime drama that would become the network’s most enduring soap opera and the longest-running serial program produced in Hollywood. (c) 2011 King Features Synd., Inc.
3. At this point, the insurance company will have a list of recommended body shops that you can use. However, you do have a choice to use any shop that you would like to.
To Advertise in Tidbits Call Tim Mundy at (303)994-9683
Seamless Gutters & Downspouts We also do Repairs & Cleaning!
Douglas County Sheriff Dave Weaver Needs Your Help
FUGITIVE OF THE WEEK Name:ERIC STACY AHLENIUS
JPE Contractors 303-663-8118 200 S Wilcox St #416 Castle Rock, CO 80104
24 Yrs Old Black Hair, Brown Eyes 6’1” - 150 lbs. Last Known Address: Aurora, CO Charges: Contributing to the delinquency of a minor, Sexual Assault
JPEContractors.com Who’s At Your DOOR?
TAKE NO ACTION TO APPREHEND THIS PERSON YOURSELF For immediate action call 303.660.7500 or call your local law enforcement To provide information and remain anonymous, call the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office Tips Hotline: 303.660.7579 or E-mail us at DCSO@dcsheriff.net.
Timothy Brown Agency 734 N. Wilcox St. Suite 100 Castle Rock, Colorado 80104
Office: 720-733-2584 Fax: 720-359-7990 E-Mail: email@example.com Website: www.timothybrownagency.com 24-Hour Claims Reporting: 800-692-6326
1. First, remain calm and check for injuries. If anyone is hurt, call 911 immediately. Do not move your vehicle unless you are in immediate danger and it would be safer to get your vehicle in a different location. After that, you should exchange info (names, any other vehicles involved, phone numbers, driver’s license numbers, license plate numbers and insurance info) and check to see if there were any witness’. Note the location, time and date and take pictures if you have a camera available. 2. As soon as you have taken care of the above, contact your insurance agent. They’ll advise you on calling the claim in.
¥ On April 3, 1882, Jesse James, one of America’s most notorious outlaws, is shot to death by fellow gang member Robert Ford, who betrayed James for bounty money. James was shot in the back while his mother cooked breakfast. ¥ On March 31, 1931, Knute Rockne, the legendary Notre Dame football coach, is killed in a plane crash in Kansas. Studebaker decided to name its new line of low-priced vehicles Rockne after the revered coach, agreeing to pay his widow 25 cents for each car sold.
You just got into an accident… what do you do now?
Don’t Guess. Know!
Video & Alarm Security Systems They’re more affordable than you think.
Lynx Video Security Systems LynxVSecurity.com
4. When getting estimates, there is no need to get multiple estimates. If you like the service and feeling you get from the first body shop you stop at, then, you’re more than welcome to stop at that and use them. 5. Once the car is at the shop of your choice, you are the only one that can authorize the shop to start working on your car. If you’re at-fault for the accident, you’ll be responsible to pay your deductible once the work is done and you go to pick up the car. If you’re not at-fault, you won’t have to pay anything out of pocket. 6. While the car is in the shop, you may need a rental car. If you are at-fault and have rental reimbursement on your policy, a rental will be provided up to the policy limits. If you’re not at-fault, the other insurance company will provide you with a similar style car while yours is being repaired. 7. Just remember, that even when a claim goes 100% smoothly, it’s still an inconvenience. Don’t hesitate to contact your agent with any questions during the process. Lowry Allstate Insurance 201 S Wilcox St #2A Castle Rock, CO 80104 303-688-1966
For Advertising Call Tim (303)994-9683 Tidbits® of Douglas County 12
20% OFF Entire Purchase Valid with Tidbits Coupon only. Expires 3/31/11
1011 Caprice Dr, Castle Rock, CO (Off Wolfensberger - 1/8 mile West of I-25)
Open 7 Days A Week
25+ Strains 30+ Edibles & Infusions Top Shelf Ozs $240 Mile High Holistics
County Line Mile High Monument Holistics Safeway
626 Hwy 105 Palmer Lake, CO 80133
Exclusive Manufacturer & Distributor
1. Two antennas meet on a roof, fall in love and get married. The ceremony wasn’t much, but the reception was excellent. 2. Two hydrogen atoms walk into a bar. One says, “I’ve lost my electron.” The other says, “Are you sure?” The first replies, “Yes, I’m positive… 3. A jumper cable walks into a bar. The bartender says, “I’ll serve you, but don’t start anything.” 4. A man complains, “Doc, I can’t stop singing ‘The Green, Green Grass of Home.’ “That’s the Tom Jones Syndrome,” explains the doc.”Is it common?” asks the man.”It’s not unusual,” says the doc. 5. A dyslexic man walks into a bra. 6. Two cows are standing in a field. Daisy says to Dolly, “I was artificially inseminated this morning.” “I don’t believe you,” said Dolly. “It’s true, no bull!” exclaimed Daisy. 7. Two cannibals are eating a clown. One says to the other:”Does this taste funny to you?” 8. If at first you do not succeed…skydiving is not for you. 9. An invisible man marries an invisible woman. The kids were nothing to look at, either. 10. Two Eskimos sitting in a kayak were chilly; but when they lit a fire in the craft, it sank, proving that you can’t have your kayak and heat it too!
Organic & Hydroponic Garden Supplies
10 Quips to Amuse YOU!
BIG BloomZ Hydro Caprice Dr
Santa Fe Blvd
Decks • Windows • Doors • Lumber • Insulation • Siding
10% OFF (Retail Price)
Trex Transend Deck Packs Through April 2011 18401 Plaza Drive Parker, CO 80134
303-841-2410 FREE DELIVERY
Diesel Repair & Rare Event There was a knock on the door this morning. I opened it to find a young man standing there who said: "I'm a Jehovah's Witness."
Performance • • • • • •
Complete Service (Bumper to Bumper) Brakes Transmission Suspension $40 DIESEL Emissions Gas Engines Test Rear End
No Appointment Needed From 8am to 8pm
I said "Come in and sit down, what do you want to talk about?"
6250 E. Pine Lane - Parker CO 80138
He said, "Beats the hell out of me, I've never made it this far before."