of Loveland & Ft. Collins
Shoreline Publishing, LLC
.Q: How many psychiatrists does it take to change a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to WANT to change! Click on the QR Code with your Smartphone and read us online.
LAST GOOD-BUY pages 1-4
Famous Landmarks: Martha’s Vineyard
by Blue Sullivan
Cleaning Out the Garage pages 7-8
There is something singularly satisfying about finding a really good price on something. Pawn stores and antique shops present opportunities to experience this joy. It’s surely why so many of us are drawn to them.
• The old stereotype about pawn shops was that they were dirty places run by unscrupulous men and women looking for every chance they could find to cheat you out of a buck. Yet the massive success of reality shows such as “Pawn Stars” and “Hardcore Pawn” has done a lot to rebut that inaccurate image. • David Bakke of “Market Crashers” notes that while you, “probably look for ways to save money as often as you can… here’s one you may never have considered: shopping at a pawn shop. It’s actually a viable way to save money — and not just on guns.”
Locally owned and operated, Kindergrins is a general dentistry practice treating infants, children, and young adults.
126 E. 29th Street Loveland, CO 80538 Telephone: 970-635-4353 www.kindergrins.com
email@example.com 3rd Quarter 2010
of Ft. Collins & Loveland
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Week 37 Sept. 9- Sept. 15 Page 1
Experts in automotive glass: Locally Owned & Operated 3M Clear Auto Bras Lifetime Warranty $20 to $75 OFF Windshield Replacement Free Mobile Service
In Shop Only. Not valid with any other offer. Expires 7/31/12
Free Mobile Service
OEM Quality Glass 3M Window Tinting Crack Repair
$10 to $35
3M Window Tinting Not valid with any other offer. Expires 7/31/12
1550 E Eisenhower Blvd 635-2381 Show Your Skin’s Best Side Feel & Look Better Than Ever! FDA Approved Permanent Hair Removal (any hair color or skin type) Acne Deep Pore Cleansing with Extractions PCA Chemical Peels Microdermabrasion Spider Vein Removal Tattoo Removal Laser Hair Removal
In his article, “7 Things You Should and Shouldn’t Buy from a Pawn Shop,” Bakke outlines the best things to buy.
20% ANY TREATMENT OFF Aesthetics and Electrolysis
turn the page for more!
Must mention off at time of setting appointment. May not be combined with any other offer. Limited time offer - ends 9/15/12
Katie Harmon, DDS
Charity T. Sullivan CE, CLT Medical Assistant / Aesthetician www.aestheticsandelectrolysis WANT TO RUN YOUR OWN BUSINESS? www.charitysullivan.com Publish a Paper in Your Area
FREE EXAM for children under 2!
$75 New Patient Exam
September 13, 2012
For Ad Rates call Dan: (970) 658-6347
Includes Exams, Cleaning, Flouride, X-Rays.
Veteran Owned & Operated
Receive a $10 Walmart Gift Card
for each New Patient Visit.
We provide the opportunity for success!
One coupon per patient. New patients only and One coupon per patient. New patients only. Not Call 1.800.523.3096 (U.S.) without insurance. Not valid with any other offer. valid with any other offer. Must present coupon • at FDA approved permanent hair removal (CAN) 1.866.631.1567 Must present coupon at visit. Expires 08/31/12 visit. Expires 08/31/12 www.tidbitsweekly.com
complete automotive care- we’re • not just mufflers anymore! • • • •
(any hair color or skin type) Acne Deep Pore Cleansing with Extractions PCA Chemical Peels Microdermabrasion Spider Vein Removal 20% off any Tattoo Removal treatment Laser Hair Removal
$5 GIFT CARD
Fort Collins Loveland This gift card is redeemable on any purchase over $25.00. Cannot be combined with Miramont Office Vogue Laser Clinic any otherPark offers or discounts. Not redeemable for cash. In house only. EXPIRES 08/31/12 4745 Boardwalk Unit C 1625 Foxtail Drive •
1219 N. College Ave, Fort Collins
WWW.KENSMUFFLER.NET * Golf Shoes, Dress Shoes, Boots, Cleaning/Conditioning/Polish & Shine * Spike Replacement * Ultrasonic club cleaning * On-Site Re-Gripping - PURE Grips
FORT COLLINS(970) 266-0124 2601 S. LEMAY
(SCOTCH PINES VILLAGE)
LOVELAND(970) 685-4498 110 E. 29TH AVE. (PALMER GARDENS CENTER)
Aesthetics & Electrolysis Charity T. Sullivan CE, CLT Medical Assistant / Aesthetician
www.aestheticsandelectrolysis.com www.charitysullivan.com Fort Collins Loveland Miramont Office Park Vogue Laser Clinic 4745 Boardwalk Bldg C 1624 Foxtail Dr.
New Ownership Personal Training Tanning 24/7 Private showers Classes coming soon!
Reciprocity to over 1,900 Clubs WorldWide 24 Hour secure access, 7 days a week, 365 days a year
FREE 7 DAY GUEST PASS 324 West 37th St, Loveland www.anytimefitness.com
Concierge re-gripping service at your home or ofﬁce. Buy 8 grips - get 9th grip FREE. Call to schedule your appointment today. 1 year warranty against wear, tape and solvent free installation, NO Trip charge within 30 miles radius of Fort Collins. Offer good only on Concierge on-site service.
Tidbits® of Ft. Collins & Loveland
MOMENTS IN TIME
BENEFITING COLORADO VETERANS
ON PURCHASE OF $20.00 OR MORE
• On Sept. 30, 1868, the first volume of Louisa May Alcott’s beloved children’s book “Little Women” is published. Alcott dedicated most of her life and writing to supporting her family after her father’s failure at running Transcendentalist school. Her works include “Little Men” (1871) and “An Old-Fashioned Girl” (1870). • On Sept. 28, 1901, Ed Sullivan, who would become the host of the long-running TV variety program “The Ed Sullivan Show,” is born in New York City. During the peak of its popularity in the 1950s and 1960s, Sullivan’s program showcased a wide range of entertainers, including The Beatles and Elvis Presley.
Donate • Shop • Volunteer Hours:
Monday–Friday 9 a.m.–7 p.m. Saturday 10 a.m.–8 p.m. Sunday 11 a.m.–5 p.m.
5816 S. College Ave • (970) 225-1756 • www.secondchancethriftco.com • 2 Miles south of Harmony
OFFICE LOUNGE BAR & GRILL
Come Watch Every Broncos’ Game Here and Receive Free Jello-Shots During The Game -Karaoke Tuesday Nights $2 Happy Camper Shots & $2 Poppers -Daily Lunch Specials Under $8.00 -Family Owned & Operated for 37 Years
• On Sept. 29, 1913, Rudolf Diesel, inventor of the engine that bears his name, disappears from the steamship Dresden while traveling from Belgium to England. On Oct. 10, Diesel’s body was found in the water. Conspiracy theories began to fly almost immediately. Many people believed (and still believe) that Diesel was murdered. • On Sept. 25, 1957, under escort from 1,000 paratroopers in the U.S. Army’s 101st Airborne Division, nine black students enter all-white Central High School in Little Rock, Ark. Three weeks earlier, Arkansas Gov. Orval Faubus had surrounded the school with National Guard troops to prevent court-ordered racial integration. • On Sept. 26, 1960, for the first time in U.S. history, a debate between major party presidential candidates is shown on television. John F. Kennedy debated Richard M. Nixon in a Chicago studio. Nixon refused to wear makeup.
1710 W Eisenhower Blvd, #8, Loveland
• On Sept. 27, 1989, Zsa Zsa Gabor, on trial for slapping a police officer, storms out of the courtroom in the middle of the district attorney’s closing argument. She had been pulled over for expired tags on her Rolls Royce, as well as having an open container of alcohol and an expired license.
Brain Trauma Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy. Even the name sounds scary. CTE is a brain condition caused by concussions. Until now, this condition was thought limited to sports athletes, like boxers and football players, where the results of multiple head injuries over a career are well known. Research now shows that service personnel who’ve been subjected to at least one blast or concussion that resulted in traumatic brain injury can develop CTE. CTE is a progressive, neurodegenerative disorder, with symptoms only showing up later in the form of disorientation, confusion, depression, headaches, impulse control and aggression problems, suicide and more. Symptoms later in life can include dementia. There hasn’t been a way to truly diagnose CTE except for a brain biopsy after death. Researchers at two universities teamed up with the Department of Veterans Affairs health system to compare the brains of athletes with those of service members who were subjected to at least one blast or concussive episode. They found no differences. The injury triggers accumulation of an abnormal protein called “tau” in the areas of the brain that regulate impulse and aggression control, depression and memory. It takes only one blast from an improvised explosive devise (IED) to set in motion the chain reaction that can result in CTE. Tau can be seen in the blood soon after injury, leading researchers to start trials to develop a way to detect its presence within minutes. From this they hope to find a treatment that will keep TBI from progressing into CTE. As of now, more than 244,000 service personnel have been diagnosed with TBI since 2000. It’s thought there are many more whose brain damage hasn’t been diagnosed. Write to Freddy Groves in care of King Features Weekly Service, P.O. Box 536475, Orlando, FL 32853-6475, or send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. (c) 2012 King Features Synd., Inc.
(c) 2012 King Features Synd., Inc.
SUN-GARD Window Tint Special From Lifetime warranty, shop only
by Freddy Groves
Suntek Window Tint Special From
Nationwide, lifetime warranty
Viper Window Tint Special From Nationwide, lifetime warranty
Interior Detail/Shampoo Wash & Dress $59 ••••••••• ClearBra Special- 12” on hood, front fenders, mirror caps and door caps from $179. 5 Year Warranty
Clearbra - Audio - Auto Detail- Wood Kits Quality - Comfort- Windshield Replacement Hours M-F 8am to 6pm; Sat 8am to 5pm 240 S. Cleveland Ave. (Hwy 287), Loveland, 80537 • 970-619-8676 • 20 years experience
Check Us Out, You Won’t Be Disappointed
Get Healthy This Summer
We Specialize in New & Pre-Owned Firearms & Accessories Northern Colorado’s Only Rokon Dealer
FITBITS SPONSORED BY:
Buy-Sell-Trade & Consign Lots of Quality Merchandise
Uptown Pawn & Gun
900 East Eisenhower Blvd.
Craig Morrison, CNC, NRT Call Craig today to schedule your Health Evaluation and Ionic Foot Detox and start feeling better today, call 970-624-0122!
New Client Offer- 50% Off
1 Hour Massage & Ionic Foot DetoxificationOnly $40-an $80 Value!!
Loveland Natural Health 1714 Topaz Dr. Ste 100 • 970-624-0122 • www.lovelandnaturalhealth.liveitlifestyle.com
Mongolian Hot Grill 1. Is the book of Issachar in the Old or New Testament or neither? 2. What bread component did Jesus compare with the kingdom of heaven? Yeast, Crust, Gluten, Wheat 3. Which of the twelve tribes of Israel wasn’t allotted any land? Simeon, Dan, Asher, Levi 4. Who removed a thorn from the lion’s foot? Benjamin, Job, Naphtali, Androcles 5. How many books of the Bible are credited to Moses? 3, 4, 5, 6 6. What was first to leave Noah’s Ark? Gull, Dove, Raven, Serpent LAST GOOD-BUY (continued): • Bakke says that perhaps the safest buys at any pawn shop are tools. He notes that the prices are often far superior to those of new tools. This is doubly true if you’re just looking for one or two specific tools for home renovation or repair. “It’s simply not worth it to pay full price for seldom-used tools,” says Bakke. • According to Bakke, the other great value found at almost any pawn shop is jewelry. He explains that it’s typical to find prices that are half what they would be for new retail jewelry. Bakke chalks this up to people’s distrust of the idea of “used” jewelry. • “Some people may have an issue with buying ‘used’ jewelry, but isn’t almost all jewelry ‘used’ in some way, shape, or form?” Bakke argues. Since so much jewelry, even retail jewelry, is comprised of items made from melted down gold from other sources and re-set diamonds, why not buy it “used” for a much better price? • As for items that are best left on the pawn-shop shelf, Bakke is emphatic. He advises to never buy electronics or home appliances with a lot of moving parts. He singles out vacuum cleaners, computers, digital cameras and televisions as things to avoid. • Bakke thinks televisions are possibly the riskiest pawn-shop purchase. “There is an implied risk with purchasing anything from a pawn shop since it’s all used merchandise, but this risk goes up even farther with televisions, especially flat-screen LED TVs,” says Bakke. • Bakke warns that almost no pawn shops allow money back returns. The most they offer is instore credit, so buyer beware. He advises, “Be sure to inquire specifically about all aspects of any return policy they may have.” • Though he mentions that he has experienced instances where something he bought at a pawn shop broke soon after, Bakke thinks that the positives easily outnumber the negatives. He says, “The overall money that I have saved over
Eat Great, Feel Great!
1459 W. Eisenhower Blvd
Located in the Albertsons Shopping Center off Eisenhower & Taft.
Here you are the chef.
the years has far outweighed the replacement cost of the few things that did break down.” • The process of finding good value at antique shops requires a little more time and thought, but it’s just as rewarding. An advice column from the website Antique-Marks.com entitled “Buying antiques — how, where, when and why to buy” gives 10 sure-fire tips on how to make a wise purchase. • Most antique dealers are happy to haggle over their prices. The column strongly advises antique shoppers to ask for a discount on any item they are interested in. It notes that dealers usually assign a private code to each item advising how much of a discount they’re prepared to give (for instance, 25 percent off the sticker). Asking for a discount prompts the salesperson to investigate this. Simply ask, “What’s your best price on this item?” • Another potential option for getting a discount is paying cash, but don’t offer to pay in hard currency up front. After negotiating a maximum discount under the auspices of paying by check or credit card, then (and only then) ask if there might any further cash discount. Not every seller will offer one, but some do. • Another essential tip when antique shopping is to thoroughly examine any item of interest before buying. Antique-marks advises you to, “Look at the bottom, the top, the sides. Look from odd angles and use a magnifier to look close.” • Examining each item of interest extensively is vital, as is inquiring about any damage or restoration the item might’ve undergone. As Antique-marks notes, “If you don’t ask, they don’t need to tell you.” • One of the best ways to find a good deal is to look for items that don’t fit the focus of the individual antique shop. If you’re in a shop that focuses on furniture, look for the odd bit of ceramics or jewelry. Items that don’t fit in will often be discounted much higher to get rid of them.
By: Cailan Gray, M.Ed Reg. Manager Max Muscle Sports Nutrition Weight loss is simple right? We should be able to eat less and therefore have fewer calories, allowing us to burn what we have stored and lose fat. To most this seems like the perfect solution right? WRONG! In all actuality, eating less will actually make many gain more weight, bad weight at least. It seems to go against what we feel is common sense, but our body is smart in that way. It will do what it has to in order to survive. There are many processes in the body that run out of gas, so to speak, in around 3 hours. This is why the advice of eating something every few hours and never eating just a few big meals is completely valid. If we don’t add fuel every so often, your body will go into a natural survival mode, sort of like a reserve gas tank on a car. This is unfavorable because the next time you add gas it has to replace that reserve tank. This means a big portion of that next meal will be used as stored energy… fat. If you do this regularly enough, your body will learn and adapt. It does this by slowing down your metabolism, thus trapping you in an endless cycle of overcompensated weight gain. The easiest way to avoid falling into this rut is to make sure that you are getting a good source of low calorie lean protein and a small carbohydrate every few hours. Couple that with smaller, well-planned meals and a good exercise program and you should be on your way. Remember that exercise burns a lot of calories. We only need to cut out 3500 calories over the course of a week through activity and smart eating to lose a pound of unhealthy weight. If you have any questions that you would like answered regarding general health, nutrition, or fitness please email Cailan @ email@example.com
982 E. Eisenhower Blvd, Loveland
2580 E. Harmony, St. 101, Ft. Collins
Tidbits® of Ft. Collins & Loveland
e� l��a�n�d,��Wi�n�d� �s�or�� � v � o L � , � � s � n � i � l � l De� �l�iv��er��y�t�o�F�t.��Co�
EDDL�ER S� CH CE�
Your Family Tree
Gluten-free Bakery� Soy Free, Non-GMO� Some Dairy Free�
(970) 217-9090� www.peddlerschoice.com�
One More Race to Set the Chase The outcome of the first 26 races determines eligibility for NASCAR’s Chase for the Sprint Cup and, by extension, the field of drivers with a shot at the championship. In the penultimate regular-season race, Denny Hamlin became the only driver to win four races to date, meaning that he will be the top seed. Hamlin, 31, has won the two most recent races at Bristol Motor Speedway and Atlanta Motor Speedway. Hamlin came close to winning the championship in 2010, when he led Jimmie Johnson entering the final race at Homestead-Miami Speedway. “I did an interview at the beginning of last year, and I said, ‘Just put me back in the same situation, and I promise I’ll win the championship when we leave Homestead.’ All I can hope is for that opportunity again, and if I do, I’m going to live in the moment and focus everything I can do to win that race instead of worrying about the outcome,” Hamlin said. “I’m going to have a lot more fun and enjoy it.” For each of his four victories, Hamlin, from Chesterfield, Va., will receive three bonus points. The 12 Chase drivers will each be awarded 2,000 base points. The two wild-card selections are ineligible for bonus points. Hamlin could win a fifth race in the regular-season finale at Richmond International Raceway, the track closest to his hometown. By the same token, a victory by Jimmie Johnson, Brad Keselowski or Tony Stewart would result in a tie at the top when the Chase commences on Sept. 16 at Chicagoland Speedway. Stewart ranks 10th in the standings, only 18 points ahead of 11th-place Kasey Kahne. Even if Stewart falls to 11th, he would still make the Chase as a wild-card entrant, but in order for Stewart to receive bonus points for his three victories, he would have to remain in the top 10. Preservation of the status quo in Richmond’s Federated Auto Parts 400 would put Kahne and Kyle Busch in the wild-card spots. A Richmond victory could still put either Jeff Gordon, Marcos Ambrose, Ryan Newman or Joey Logano in the field. The long shot is Carl Edwards, who must win at Richmond and make up 27 points on Busch. Monte Dutton covers motorsports for The Gaston (N.C.) Gazette. E-mail Monte at firstname.lastname@example.org. (c) 2012 King Features Synd., Inc.
Denny Hamlin won at Atlanta over Labor Day weekend to become the only driver to win four races so far this season so far. (Getty Images for NASCAR photo)
1. MOVIES: What was the name of Rocky’s boxing nemesis in “Rocky”? 2. MUSIC: Which 1980s rock band had a hit with the title “Roxanne”? 3. HISTORY: Where did the Battle of Waterloo take place? 4. SCIENCE: What does a mycologist study? 5. TELEVISION: What was the name of the boyfriend in the “Gidget” surfing series? 6. COMPUTERS: What does it mean when you get the message “Error 404” on a computer? 7. LANGUAGE: What does the acronym “radar” stand for? 8. LITERATURE: When was “The Cat in the Hat” first published? 9. TEAM SPORTS: How many members does a cricket team have? 10. GEOGRAPHY: What is the capital of Trinidad and Tobago?
One of the best things you can leave future generations of your family is accurate genealogy information. Creating a family tree isn’t as difficult as it may sound. Start with yourself, your siblings and your parents. Accurate date and place of birth information is crucial to any future hunts. Go back as many generations as you can, at least giving names if you can’t also supply dates and place of birth. Write down stories about your family members (this will also jog your own memory of facts about the past.) If there are “rumors,” make notes of those as well. Even if you can’t verify whether your mother’s grandfather was a train engineer, someone else might be able to at a later date. If you have a computer and are comfortable roaming the Internet, Ancestry.com is one of the best places to start. On Ancestry, you can not only research your family, but you can create a family tree to save. The amount of information available is amazing: old military records, city directories, birth and death certificates, photos uploaded by others, Census through 1940 and so much more. There is a fee to subscribe to Ancestry, but if you join for six months and do a little every week, you should finish in that time. On Family Search (familysearch.org) you will likely find information that you can’t find anywhere else (for example, some of it goes back as far as Europe), but you have to be careful. Use Family Search as a hunting ground and verify information elsewhere. If you’ve never done genealogy, consider taking a class to get started. This might be a good winter project, with the end result benefiting your family for generations to come. Matilda Charles regrets that she cannot personally answer reader questions, but will incorporate them into her column whenever possible. Write to her in care of King Features Weekly Service, P.O. Box 536475, Orlando, FL 32853-6475, or send e-mail to columnreply@ gmail.com. (c) 2012 King Features Synd., Inc.
Don’t Hit The Trail Without Your Survival Bracelet
You Never Know When You Might Need It!! Custom Colors Men’s Bracelets Women’s Bracelets Kid’s Bracelets
Dog Collars Key Chains Carry Straps Gun Slings
www.nocobracelets.com Survival Bracelets
Get yours today at these ﬁne retailers-
-jensen arms -mountain side glasswares -colour u tan
Bus: (970) 658-6347
For Advertising Call Dan at (970) 658-6347
USA INCO TM USA INCORP ORATED RPO RATED TM
6706 974 E. Eisenh ower Blvd. Loveland, CO 80537 email: lovelan d@mailncop y.com nlimite www.mailncopy.com d loveland
In the Jax Ou tdoor pa 974 E. Eisenh rking lot ower Blvd. Loveland, CO 80537 www.mailnco py.com
of Ft. Collins & Loveland Published by: Shoreline Publishing LLC
I love Tidbits P.O. Box 2565
Owner/Publisher dan@tidbitsweekly4 you.com www.tidbitsweekly4 you.com
Loveland, CO 80539 Bus: (970) 658-6347
call toda y to get no t
- F i n d t h e S t a r o n T h i s We e k s F e a t u re d C a r d • Although the oceans around the island are island the name. The next day, he discovered freezing with large waves and dangerous the larger island and after exploring, switched MARTHA’S VINEYARD undertows, the island offers many harbors with the names and titled the smaller island No A quaint, beautiful island in the northern Atlantic warmer water. Man’s Land. Martha’s Vineyard came from his off the coat of Massachusetts, Martha’s Vineyard mother, Martha. is one of the United States’ most relaxing • Martha’s Vineyard is referred to as “Noepe” by the American Indians, which means “Land • The first school on Martha’s Vineyard was vacation getaways. Listed below are the aspects amid the streams.” established in 1651 to teach native Indians that make the island unlike any other. who were willing to learn. • The world-famous island regularly hosts a • It is believed that Martha’s Vineyard was discovered in the year 1000 by explorers • Martha’s Vineyard was considered part of New variety of occasions, including weddings, York until 1692. honeymoons, corporate events, executive retreats, etc. Some residents live on the • At one point in its history during the mid island seasonally, others, year round. 1800s, after generations and generations, Martha’s Vineyard had such a high deaf • The island provides sandy beaches, clay population that the residents developed their cliffs, bird-watching excursions, elegant own sing language, Martha’s Vineyard Sign dining destinations, great shopping and Language (MVSL). attractions. • In 1911, the Colonial Inn opening, thus • Martha’s Vineyard actually prides itself on sparking its transformation into a vacationer’s the uniqueness of its dining experiences — paradise. There are no chain restaurants. • Steven Spielberg’s blockbuster hit • The northern part of the island is covered “Jaws” was filmed on the island in 1974. in hills and boulders, while the southern call toda y part is mostly sandy beaches. • When actor John Belushi died to famous called the Northmen, who named the island g etburied notic in 1982, he was on Martha’s Vineyard • Many artists live on the island, creating and e d Vineland. When Verranazo stumbled upon the in the town of Chilmark. Many residents and then selling their hand-crafted, one-of-a-kind island in 1524, he named it Claudia, honoring vacationers visit his grave to pay their respects. pieces. the mother of France’s Francis II. • Vacationers or residents reach the island • The first explorer to give the island its current • Long-term island residents tend to be affluent, as the cost of living on the island is about 60 via ferry or airplane, as there are no tunnels name was Bartholomew Gosnold, who also percent higher than that of the United States or bridges linked to the island. There are discovered and named Cape Cod. While lost in mainland, and the cost of real estate is a more than 100 lodging destinations, ranging the Atlantic, he stumbled upon a smaller island striking 95 percent higher. In 2010, the island’s anywhere from cozy cottages to campgrounds outside of Martha’s Vineyard and gave this population was 16,535. to swanky luxury resorts. FAMOUS LANDMARKS OF THE WORLD:
of Ft. Collins & Loveland
THIS IS A HAMMER By Samantha Mazzotta
Mineral Buildup Around Faucets Q: I have a recurring problem with mineral deposits building up around my faucets. How can I reduce these, and is there an easier way to clean it off the faucets and fixtures? -- Carl in Ocala, Fla.
HOME TIP: To reduce mineral buildup and lengthen the life of your water heater, drain it twice a year via the drain spigot.
• SIMPLICITY • ORECK • KIRBY • DYSON • HOOVER • BISSELL • EUREKA • SANITARIE
“WE SELL THE BEST AND FIX THE REST!”
Any make or model of vacuum, sewing machine or shampooer Expires 7/31/12
“Best of the Best”
Rated #1 on Consumers Buying Guide
$50 OFF Any Made In USA Vacuum Purchase Expires 7/31/12
• TRISTAR • KENMORE • ROYAL/ DIRT DEVIL
• ELECTROLUX • MIELE • SHARP • RAINBOW
A: Mineral buildup around faucets, also known as “scale,” is common in areas such as yours that have hard water -- water containing high levels of minerals, particularly those containing calcium or magnesium. Hard water makes it difficult for soaps to lather up, which is inconvenient for bathers. But more serious is the potential for scale buildup inside water heaters. The most effective way to reduce the prevalence of scale is to install a water softener where the water enters the house. The size and type of water softener unit depends on how much water you use per day on average and the hardness of the water. You can bring in a professional to test the water, assess your needs and estimate the cost of the installation, or, if you’re experienced with plumbing, you can install the softener
yourself. Some important points to remember are: Get more than one estimate if possible, and don’t allow work to begin until you’ve approved it in writing. Make sure the installer locates the water softener unit at least 10 feet from the water heater, and that a remote bypass also is installed (this allows you to bypass the water-softener unit if it shuts down for any reason so that the house still gets water). Water softeners last for many years and operate with few problems, making them a good value for the amount of money you’ll spend on parts and installation. In the meantime, clean scale buildup from faucets and showerheads by shutting off the water supply to the affected faucets, and unscrewing the shower head and faucet aerators. Wash them in soapy water and rinse well. Then, place in a stainless steel or Teflon lined pan with a solution of half vinegar and half water. Simmer the hardware for five minutes, cool, then scrub with a nylon brush to remove the deposits.
Orchards Plaza - lovelandvacuum.com www.coloradograndrental.com
Full Line - Full Service Rental Store Offering Great Service & Advice
BUY? RENT when you can Less Time Less Money Less Hassle
Loveland 970.669.3866 Johnstown/Berthoud 970.532.0144
BUY FOR LESS Mrs. Goodthrift offers a wide variety of items! We sell funiture, appliances (large and small), clothing, books, dishes, shoes, jewelry, movies, music, tools, vehicles, you name it we might have it! *excluding vehicles
Spend over $10 and Receive
2400 N. Lincoln Ave Loveland of your entire (970) 619-8144 www.mrsgoodtrhift.com purchase.*
Send your questions or tips to email@example.com, or write This Is a Hammer, c/o King Features Weekly Service, P.O. Box 536475, Orlando, FL 32853-6475. (c) 2012 King Features Synd., Inc.
1. Jose Valverde set the record for the Detroit Tigers in 2011 with 49 consecutive saves. Who had held the franchise mark? 2. How many times did Juan Gonzalez have more home runs than walks in a season during his 17-year major-league career? 3. Who is the only college football coach to win a BCS title with two losses? 4. In 2009-10, Aaron Brooks set a Houston Rockets record with 209 3-point field goals made. Who held the old record? 5. How many Edmonton Oilers have won the Calder Trophy as the NHL’s top rookie? 6. Name the last female before Danica Patrick in 2012 to secure the pole in NASCAR’s Nationwide Series? 7. How many times did Chris Evert reach the women’s singles final at Wimbledon, and how many times did she win?
Wild Animals Pose Threat to Pets DEAR PAW’S CORNER: A number of cats in our area disappeared this spring and summer, and I noticed the rabbits that used to plague our garden don’t come as frequently. A neighbor told me he saw a coyote crossing the street just before dawn recently, and I suspect it is the cause of many of these disappearances. Please warn your readers they need to protect their pets as wild animals are encroaching on well-populated neighborhoods. -- Pat C., Weston, Mass. DEAR PAT: That’s a very good point! As wild creatures lose more and more of their natural habitats, they are being seen much more frequently in the suburbs and even
PAW’S CORNER By Sam Mazzotta in urban areas. This goes beyond nuisance animals like raccoons and skunks: Black bears frequently wander into back yards in central Florida, and residents in urban Allston, Mass., are sometimes confronted by wild turkeys foraging along city streets. And coyotes and cougars have been reported in suburban neighborhoods in many parts of the United States. Wild animals present a lot of risk to pets (as well as humans). Besides the threat of contracting rabies or other diseases, some predators find smaller pets to be easy, tasty prey. Keep cats and small dogs indoors at night. If wild animals have been reported in your area, don’t let your pet out
unaccompanied or off a leash, even during the day when no danger is apparent. Keep your pet’s vaccinations up to date. If you have pets, like rabbits, that are kept outside, reinforce and strengthen protective fencing around their cages. Send your questions or comments to ask@pawscorner. com. If your question or comment is printed in the weekly column, you’ll receive a free copy of “Fighting Fleas,” the newest booklet from Paws Corner! (c) 2012 King Features Synd., Inc.
PETBITS SPONSORED BY: Pet Club S. Ft. Collins 2226 E. Harmony RD. Fort Collins, CO 80528
Pet Club Fort Collins 1107 W. Drake Rd. Fort Collins, CO 80526 www.thepetclub.net
• When the infamous Titanic was being built, shifts were 14 hours a day, and workers only had one day off a week. Each day, each worker was allowed a total of seven minutes for bathroom breaks.
• Some people, it seems, have more money than sense. For example, in December of 2008, some unknown person paid $5,300 to buy a single tissue off eBay. What was so special about the tissue? Reportedly, it was used once by actress Scarlett Johansson. Fortunately, proceeds from the sale benefited a nonprofit organization.
• Those who study such things say that marriages involving so-called mail-order brides have a lower rate of divorce than marriages that come about in more traditional ways. *** Thought for the Day: “Among men, it seems, historically at any rate, that processes of co-ordination and disintegration follow each other with great regularity, and the index of the co-ordination is the measure of the disintegration which follows. There is no mob like a group of welldrilled soldiers when they have thrown off their discipline. And there is no lostness like that which comes to a man when a perfect and certain pattern has dissolved about him. There is no hater like one who has greatly loved.” -- John Steinbeck
• The average ant lives less than two months.
(c) 2012 King Features Synd., Inc.
• It was British playwright and noted wit Oscar Wilde who made the following sage observation: “Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.” • If you’re like the typical human, your brain makes up only 2 percent of your body’s weight, but it uses about 20 percent of your body’s energy.
• Using leeches as a form of medical treatment is archaic, right? Maybe not so much. As recently as 2004, a request to market leeches as medical devices was approved by the Food and Drug Administration.
Answers 1. Willie Hernandez had 32 straight saves in 1984. 2. Seven times. 3. LSU’s Les Miles, in the 2007 season. 4. Rafer Alston, with 192 in the 2006-07 season. 5. No Oiler has ever won the award. 6. Shawna Robinson did it in 1994, when it was the Busch Grand National Series. 7. She was in 10 finals between 1973 and 1985, winning three.
(c) 2012 King Features Synd., Inc.
(c) 2012 King Features Synd., Inc.
ANSWERS: 1) Neither; 2) Yeast; 3) Levi; 4) Androcles; 5) 5; 6) Raven
Answers 1. Apollo Creed 2. The Police 3. Belgium 4. Fungi 5. Moondoggie 6. Webpage not found 7. Radio detecting and ranging 8. 1957 9. Eleven 10. Port of Spain (c) 2012 King Features Synd., Inc.
t ra n s fo r m your outdoor experience w i t h d e s i g n services include: creative and unique design paver patios landscape lighting efficient irrigation fountains, ponds and waterfalls natural plantings xeriscaping and low maintenance spring and fall clean-ups winterization landscape maintenance visit us at: www.earthtechlandscapes.com
free estimates and consultations
i n s t a l l a t i o n
m a i n t e n a n c e
weekly deals: $100 off any maintenance contract 10% off any installation free rain sensor with any full irrigation system installation *offers valid for new customers only. cannot combine deals. deals are valid seven days from print date
landscape management and design
9 7 0 . 6 8 2 . 8 3 4 2