OVER OVER 4 MILLION MILLION
aders Weekly Readers Weekly Nationwide!Nationwide!
12 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED ©2006
of Northern Johnson County
The Neatest PaperLittle Ever Read TheLittle Neatest Paper Ever Read
March 28th 2012
Hawkeye Publishing, L.L.C.
www.tidbitpapers.com For Distribution E-mail: email@example.com or Call (319) 360-3936 Q: How did the dog warn its owner when it saw a fallen tree across the road? A: Bark! Bark!
$399! Snuggler Recliners!
TIDBITS® GOES TO WORK WITH
6 months 0 interest w/min. monthly payments
Bills’ Bros. Furniture
27 Years of success thanks to all of our customers.
Uniformed Courtesy Officer FREE Financial Aid Deferment
COMMUNITY FEATURES Our secret has always been serving Monthly Resident Giveaways Monthly Resident Events ourNewlycustomers what they want Remodeled Clubhouse On-Site great Laundry Facility with food and service. Pet Friendly FREE Tanning Always Fresh. New Game Room Always Made To Order. 24 Hour Maintenance Staff
Dine In - Carry Out -Delivery
APARTMENT FEATURES Iowa City North Liberty Great Floor Plans! 953 S. Riverside Dr. 1734 Lininger Ln Spacious Apartments! 319-358-0011 319-626-3232 FREE Cable
www.ziojohnosonline.com FREE Internet Dishwasher & Disposal Included
Prices that will floor you!
199 Hwy. 965 North Liberty Store 319-459-1035
We Accept Tax Refund Debit Cards.
303 8th Ave S.E.
Vol. 1 Issue #12
Move In With $0 Deposit
We Offer All Inclusive
1,2 or 3 Bdrm Apartments Pet Friendly Student Monthly LivingResident At ItsEvents Best!
Spacious Floor Plans FREE wi-fi in Lounge 319.364.5379 On-Site Management FREE Tanning 6610 College Park Court SW #1 FREE Internet and Cable On-Site Laundry Cedar Rapids, IA 52404
Mention This Ad For No Application Fee! 24-Hour Emergency Maintenanace Staff Only 20 min from Iowa City
by Patricia L. Cook This Tidbits examines “man’s best friend” and other animals that go the extra mile serving humans. • Many service animals serve only one person in their service lives. A dog may be trained to help a blind or deaf person and stay with that person for about 10 years, usually until the dog dies or becomes incapable of serving because of health problems. • Service dogs trained for police work serve many people by protecting the public from criminals who may seek to harm others with bombs, drugs or other evil actions. • Dogs trained to serve in the military are extremely well trained and reliable members who serve alongside their comrades. Much of the work done by animals for the military is classified. It is known that the U.S. military has used pigeons, horses and chickens as well as dolphins, beluga whales, sea lions and other marine mammals and, of course, dogs. These animals have all served honorably to reduce risk to humans. • According to the U.S. Department of Defense, there about 3,000 dogs have worked as sentries, detecting bombs and land mines and performing search, rescue and recovery. Many of those animals have been on tour in Iraq and Afghanistan in recent years. turn the page for more! WANT TO RUN YOUR OWN BUSINESS?
6610 College Park Ct. Cedar Rapids, IA ● 1- 866-979-9862.
FREE pad with installation Offer good Through April 30th
Riverside Drive Next to Dairy Queen
tenance Serv cle Main ic e s i h 319-887-1655 Ve
10 Minute Full Service
Oil & Filter $20.00 OFF Mobil 1 Lube Chasis Top Off Fluids Full Synthetic Oil Change Bring in this entire copy of Tidbits Check Tires to receive this offer. Vacuum Interior Offer Expires 4/30/2012 Wash Windows
Front page ads rotate clockwise each week and over 30,000 eyes will see your ad every week!
Paper in Your Area
We provide the opportunity for success!
Call1.800.523.3096 (U.S.) 1.866.631.1567 (CAN)
Special $12.99 Black & Color Refills! In Stock Now HP Dell Sharp Cannon Lexmark Primera
Mail - Print & More 650 W. Cherry St. Suite 7 North Liberty
We Do Refills!
Cus t Ser omer v Is ice Bus Our ine ss
March 28th 2012
Read this entire paper online when you do not have access to it during the week: www.tidbitpapers.com
Hawkeye Publishing, L.L.C.
www.tidbitpapers.com For Distribution E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or Call (319) 360-3936
Lehm Books & Gifts Artistic Barn Quilts sizes 16” X 16” up to 8’ X 8’
Customized with family initials.
4536 220th Trail • Amana, IA 52203 (319) 622-6447 • (800) 840-2387 w w w. l e h m b o o k s a n d g i f t s . c o m
EXPERT CLOCK REPAIR
We repair all types of clocks Free estimates ● We make house calls. www.amanafurniture.com 724 48th Ave., Amana, IA ● (800) 247-5088 What does a puppy call it's father? Answer:Paw Paw
Computer Service Most Problems Repaired within 24 Hours
Is Your Computer Running Slow? Are Your Programs Not Loading?
IT MAY BE INFECTED!!!
w w w. A L B E E D I G I TA L . c o m
SERVICE ANIMALS (continued): • Military dogs are trained in San Antonio, Texas, at the Military Working Dog Center at Lackland Air Force Base. German shepherds, Dutch shepherds and Belgian Malinois are the most common breeds used. The military purchases some of its dogs from breeders, but most are from its own breeding program. • When the Navy SEALs stormed Osama bin Laden’s Pakistan compound on May 2, 2011, four of the first feet on the ground were those of Cairo, a well-trained Belgian Malinois. When President Obama had a private meeting with the SEAL team, the only one of the super-secret team whose name was revealed was Cairo, the war dog. • The lighter, more compact Belgian Malinois breed is considered the best for operations undertaken by SEAL teams, such as tandem parachute jumping and rappelling. Dogs like Cairo are trained to detect and identify both hostile and/or hiding humans and explosives. The dogs are about twice as fast as their most physically fit SEAL companions.
North Liberty An Original Iowa Tradition Since 1927
4-14 White Trash night, Best Dressed Awards
245 Beaver Kreek Center North Liberty, IA 52317 319-665-2525
● Monday Night, All you can eat wings 5-9 ● Thursday nights, 8-close $2 UCall It. ● Friday nights Karaoke plus progressive night 8-close ● Saturdays live music or DJ ● Sunday brunch 9-1 Bloody Mary Bar plus all day Sunday happy hour! ● Sunday & Tuesday, Kids eat free* * One kids meal per one adult meal
Iowa City An Original Iowa Tradition Since 1927
118 S. Dubuqe St Iowa City, IA 52240 319-341-5872
Mon-Sat 4pm-2am / Sundays 7pm-2am.
● Thursday Nights $4 Liquor Pitchers ● FAC Every Friday!
• Like other members of the SEALs, Cairo was equipped with super-strong, flexible body armor and high-tech equipment that included “doggles.” Doggles are specially designed dog goggles equipped with night-vision and infrared capability that allow dogs to see body heat even through concrete walls. • The hi-tech dog gear comes from a mom-andpop business in Winnipeg, Manitoba. K9 Storm, Inc., has a worldwide reputation for designing and manufacturing what is probably the best body armor available for military and police dogs. Working dogs in 15 countries use their K9 Storm body armor.
FAMILY OWNED SINCE 1972 We are your friend in the car business!
5415 16TH AVE SW CEDAR RAPIDS, IA 52404
• well appointed • low mileage • great investment
LAST WEEK FOR DOUBLE YOUR DOWN
at Cassill Motors..............
Double Your Down is Here.... but only for a limited time
Heres the rules Your cash down payment is $1,000.00 We match up to your down $1,000.00* Your total down payment is $2,000.00* * with qualified credit financing to be done through Cassill Motors finance office,
all 2000 and newer model vehicles $5497.00 and above qualify, motorcycles excluded from double down. Offer ends 3-31-12
2606 WILLIAMS BLVD SW CEDAR RAPIDS, IA 52404
32ND ST NE & CENTER POINT RD CEDAR RAPIDS, IA 52402
johnson COUNTY March 28th 2012
Tidbits® - It is OK to take this paper home with you to share with others when there are plenty available-
Hawkeye Publishing, L.L.C. www.tidbitpapers.com For Advertising E-mail: email@example.com or Call (319) 270-2961
SERVICE ANIMALS (continued):
eW o e C h e ri s h Y
For frequently asked questions visit 319-248-0270 www.comfortcareia.com
Comfort Care Inc. Proudly Presents
• Some amazing information released from the Pentagon in October 2010 revealed that after six years and $19 billion spent in developing the ultimate bomb-detector technology, dogs are still the most accurate! Detection using the most advanced equipment, like drones and aerial detectors, yielded a 50-percent success rate. When a dog was involved, that rate rose 30 percent. Now that’s some serious sniffing! • Some other highly trained dogs that help keep our nation safe are the detector dogs trained to safeguard American agriculture. The National Detector Dog Training Center (NDDTC) in Newnan, Georgia, trains dogs and officers as teams to prevent pests and agricultural diseases from coming into the United States through airports, postal facilities, cargo warehouses, international borders and seaports.
RAGEGRAFIX PROUDLY PRESENTS
• One of the wonderful things about this program is that the NDDCT actually gets its dogs through animal shelters and animal rescues as well as through owner donations. It is important for dogs in this program to be comfortable and non-threatening when working around people in crowded places like airports. The NDDCT currently trains beagles and beagle mixes for airports and Labrador retrievers and Lab mixes for border patrol work and for warehouses and postal facilities.
CRUISE ALASKA $999 per person
• Occasionally Jack Russell terriers are also used by the NDDCT, mainly to work in Guam finding brown tree snakes. (Ewww!) The snakes are “a dangerous threat to the ecology and economy of Guam.” Accidentally introduced to Guam in the 1940s or early 1950s, the snakes cause power outages and have eradicated most of Guam’s native forest birds. • The characteristics the NDDCT looks for in dogs that will serve in the “Agriculture Beagle Brigade” are age (1-3 years old); bold, curious and friendly personalities; and a love of food! If after some testing and training, a dog is not deemed appropriate for the work, it is put up for adoption.
Ladies, check out America’s Hottest Men
The Ultimate Vegas Experience! Friday April 6th from 10 p.m.-12 See a preview at: www.diamondtalent.com
7 Night Alaska Hubbard Glacier Cruise From: $999.00 per person - Includes all taxes and fees (luxury interior stateroom.) KEVIN ALEXANDER Amana Office (319) 225-8060 North Liberty Office (319) 665-3321 Price is per person based on 2 to stateroom – Subject to change upon availability
Finished and Unfinished Special builds (319) 294-4805 Main Floor In Westdale Mall
2600 Edgewood Rd Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Take this paper home with you to finish reading all the great articles.
Located Just Off I-80 at Exit 249 Iowa City 319-338-2211 See our calendar of events along with our daily food specials online. www.WildWoodSaloon.com
Carpet cleaning - Upholstery cleaning Dries Faster, no rapid re-soiling no hidden charges!
Automatic equipment cleans, rinses, deodorizes and disinfects at 650 times per minute. Scotchguard available.
Bob Tomlin Cleaning Systems
Guaranteed to be the best or your money back
- Please give thanks to the businesses in which you have found this paper available for your enjoyment.-
Hawkeye Publishing, L.L.C.
March 28th 2012
www.tidbitpapers.com For Distribution E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or Call (319) 360-3936
buried in credit carddebt? Over $10,000 in credit card bills? Can’t make the minimum payments? ✔ We can get you out of debt quickly ✔ We can save you thousands of dollars ✔ We can help you avoid bankruptcy Not a high-priced consolidation loan or one of those consumer credit counseling programs
Credit Card relief for your free consultation Call
877-880-8757 Not available in all states
Special Free Book Offer! —Pat Boone
Crashing the Dollar: How to Survive a Global Currency Collapse by Craig R. Smith was written to help save American families from the economic death spiral of a falling U.S. dollar and rising inflation. To help prepare Americans for the dollar’s demise now, I have been authorized to offer a FREE copy of Crashing Special Free Book Offer! —Pat Boone
Call 1-888-459-1196 today!
SERVICE ANIMALS (continued): • Other very important service animals are Assistance Dogs. There are three types: guide dogs for the blind and visually impaired, hearing dogs for the deaf and hard of hearing and service dogs for people with disabilities other than those related to vision or hearing. Guide dogs for the blind have been around and formally trained for over 70 years, while the other programs are newer. • A revised definition of “service animal” was recently passed in the United States, effective March 15, 2011: “Service animal means any dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability, including a physical, sensory, psychiatric, intellectual or other mental disability. Other species of animals, whether wild or domestic, trained or untrained, are not service animals for the purposes of this definition.” This definition is part of the Americans with Disabilities Act. It provides federal protection for service animals to accompany their person into public places. Service animals are not pets; they are working dogs. (Miniature horses are permitted under specific conditions.) • Service dogs are highly trained to meet the needs of the people they serve. Any breed can be used as a service dog. They are trained to standards established by dog trainers, animal behaviorists, people with disabilities and veterinarians. A service dog is an invaluable addition to the life of its person, helping them gain freedom and independence.
FAMOUS LANDMARKS OF THE WORLD:
THE STATUE OF LIBERTY One of the most enduring symbols of the United States and a treasured landmark in New York City is the Statue of Liberty. • “Lady Liberty,” as she is frequently called, was a gift from the people of France to the people of the United States in recognition of the friendship formed during the American Revolution. • The idea for a statue to be given to the United States was born at the home of Edouard de Laboulaye, near Versailles, France, in the summer of 1865. Laboulaye is considered the “Father of the Statue of Liberty.” Unfortunately, he died before its completion. • French sculptor, Frederic Auguste Bartholdi was commissioned to design the sculpture with the plan for it to be presented in 1876 to celebrate the centennial of the Declaration of Independence. Gustave Eiffel, France’s most respected engineer, who later designed the Eiffel Tower, was commissioned to help Bartholdi with the massive structure. • While the French were responsible for the Statue and for assembling it once it came to America, the pedestal was the responsibility of the Americans. Funding for both projects was difficult. Both countries allowed auctions, lotteries, entertainment events and more to be held to raise funds for the huge project. • When Joseph Pulitzer became the owner and editor of the New York World in 1883, he appealed to people all across the country to contribute funds and to not bring shame upon the nation by not providing for the generous gift from the French. His plea was heard; money poured in from people all across the country. • The Statue was completed in France in July 1884 and arrived in New York Harbor in June 1885. The pedestal construction was finished in April 1886. The Statue remained unassembled in crates for over a year waiting for the completion of the pedestal. The centennial gift was actually 10 years late! • The Statue was transported from France to the United States on the French frigate Isere. It was disassembled into 350 individual pieces and packed in 214 crates. Reportedly, rough seas almost brought a disastrous end to the Isere and its cargo. • It took four months to re-assemble the Statue on her pedestal. She was dedicated on October 28, 1886, in front of thousands of spectators. President Grover Cleveland proclaimed that “Liberty” would “magnify France beyond the seas.” Fireworks followed the dedication, and then New York City’s first “Ticker Tape” parade ensued. • The original torch was actually displayed at the Centennial Exposition in Philadelphia in 1876. Today, it is located in the museum at Fort Wood on Bedloe’s Island with the Statue. In 1984, it was replaced by a new, copper torch covered in 24k gold leaf that reflects sunlight in the day and is lit by 16 floodlights at night. • Much symbolism was built into the Statue. The crown has 25 windows symbolizing gemstones and heaven’s rays shining over the world. The seven rays on the crown represent the seven seas and continents. Chains and a broken shackle at the Statue’s feet represent freedom from oppression and servitude. Lady Liberty is holding a book that has July 4, 1776, inscribed on it, the date of American Independence.
PLEASE CALL 270-2961 FOR THE BEST LOW COST ADVERTISING IN JOHNSON COUNTY
March 28th 2012
Hawkeye Publishing, L.L.C. www.tidbitpapers.com For Advertising E-mail: email@example.com or Call (319) 270-2961 All prices effective Sunday, April 1st to Saturday, April 14th, while supplies last! Monday - Saturday 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM Sunday 10: AM - 6:00 PM
1625 J Street SW Cedar Rapids, IA 52404 319-369-9903
Fill your basket with Easter essentials!
Fresh Boneless Pork Loin
Frozen Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
Frozen Beef Center Cut or Pork Spare Ribs
Mini Corn on the Cob 4 ct
12 oz, Original or Grilled Cheese Melts
Hash Brown Patties 10 ct
Fresh Sweet Potatoes
5.3 oz, Asst. Varieties
Fresh Red or Green Seedless Grapes
Fresh Mini Carrots 1 lb bag
Oikos Greek Yogurt
64 oz, Asst. Varieties
5 lb bag
Chillers Juice Drinks
US #1 Red Delicious Apples
Brown ‘N Serve Sausage
US #1 Idaho Russet Potatoes 10 lb bag
Hillshire Farm Smoked Sausage 12 oz, Regular, Polska Kielbasa or Beef
© April 2012 Moran Foods, Inc. All rights reserved. We reserve the right to limit quantities. Ad valid only at stores listed above. Not all items available in all stores. Not responsible for typographical errors.
We all know that most of what we eat is probably bad for us if it tastes good. We also know that one of the biggest things you have to watch out for when you are dieting is excess calories. Your calorie intake for the day is what is going to translate to either a weight gain or weight loss. When it comes right down to it, a diet is that simple. Sure some foods may offer you more health benefits than others and can aide in determining the type of weight you lose (fat as opposed to muscle) during the diet but as long as you are taking in less calories than you are burning you will see the number on the scale going down. This is why these low calorie shakes work! They replace an entire meal which also can save you money.
corn sy e s o t c u r f h hig
As long as you make intelligent choices with regards to these types of foods then you should really have no problems with your diet progress.
life style change Average weight loss is 5 lbs per week by drinking a delicious shake that costs just under $2.00 per shake. FDA Regulated, diabetic friendly and rated "A" with the Better Business Bureau (BBB). Go to this website and click on #2 to see what we're all drinking:
RUSS SWART (319) 360-3936
January 6th, 2011
In only 4 Months 50 pounds lighter My waist is thinner My legs are thinner My neck is thinner My face is thinner My shoulders are toner 2 pants sizes smaller 1 shirt size smaller
I can still eat out and have fun!
Enter the weekly drawings at w w w. t i d b i t papers. c o m for a chance to win free gift certificates!
Hawkeye Publishing, L.L.C.
www.tidbitpapers.com For Distribution E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or Call (319) 360-3936
Don’t Drive in the Dark!
LET US HELP YOU
SEE BRIGHT AT NIGHT
Your Veh ic Appeara le nce Special i st W e Come
No need for costly headlight replacement when we can restore your headlights to like new condition.
Cedar Rapids /Iowa City and Surrounding areas A division of Chapman’s Mobile Detailing
www.chapmansmobiledetailing.com *Weather permitting
STRANGE BUT TRUE by Samantha Weaver
● It was noted American science fiction author Philip K. Dick who made the following sage observation: “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away.” ● The first chocolate factory in the United States was established even before the states were united. Back in 1765, two enterprising men named John Hanan and James Baker chose Dorchester, Mass., as the site for their factory, which they mechanized by using waterpower. ● If you’re like the average American, you eat 23 quarts of ice cream every year. ● You might be surprised to learn that the given name of iconic Apache leader Geronimo, Goyathlay, translates as “one who yawns.” And the very name Apache isn’t what the tribe originally called itself; it’s word from the Zuni Indian language, and it means “enemy.” ● In a scant 100 years, from 1500 to 1600, the population of the city of London quadrupled in size. ● Singer and songwriter Roger Miller, best known for his hit song “King of the Road,” had a passion for music early, even though his family was poor. When he was in grade school, he spent his weekends picking cotton so he could save up enough money to buy a guitar. After eighth grade he quit school and went to work herding cattle and riding in rodeos. ● Interestingly, the word “pudding” came into the English language from the German word “puddek,” which means “sausage.” ***
Would you like to sponsor the Hocus-Focus? Call Kevin, 270-2961 “NATIONAL” WORDS (continued):
• French: Chefs know what it means to “french” a food item. It’s a verb that means to cut into thin strips, like, well, french fries. (And yes, that’s how the finger-friendly potato dish took its name.) Green beans are another item commonly prepared in this manner. • Maltese: These tiny spaniels are easy to identify thanks to their long, silky coats. The American Kennel Club groups them with other “Toy Dogs” like Pugs and Yorkshire Terriers. Feline aficionados also use the term Maltese to describe cats that have a similarly silky, grayblue coat.
• Colombian: This term means different things to different people, depending on how you get your “jones.” Narcotics dealers may refer to their products as Colombian, although the actual source is often unknown. Luckily, the majority of us prefer a bit of legal Colombian, as in the coffee grown in the South American nation. The prevalence of coffee shops throughout America is proof enough of usthis just week’s can’t get along Arethat youmany enjoying issue of in the morning without a hot cup of Colombian. Tidbits? If so, please give a big
• Chinese: The generic term “chinese” now represents types of food that are very different from the meals that are (or ever were) served in China. That said, the same argument could be made about what we consider “American” food. Hamburgers? Ice cream? toHot thedogs? peoplePizza? at theOur location you favorites received national it for allowing us to deliver seem to have originated everywhere exceptit. in the United States! Information in the Tidbits® Paper is gathered from sources considered to be reliable, but the accuracy of all information cannot be guaranteed.
Check out our free drawings online at www.tidbitpapers.com
Can’t Get Enough
Send $24.95 (plus $5 S&H) by Check or Money Order to: Tidbits Media, Inc. 1430 I-85 Parkway, Suite 301 Montgomery AL 36106
(Alabama residents LIMITED EDITION BOOK SET please add $1 sales tax.) Reprints of Books I, II & III WHILE THEY LAST!
INCREASE YOUR BUSINESS It’s Simple Ad Space Available
The Tidbits® Paper is a division of Tidbits Media, Inc. · Montgomery, AL 36106
1Q2009 :: Wk 03 :: Jan 11 - Jan 17 :: Pg. 8 All Rights Reserved · Copyright © 2009 Tidbits Media, Inc.
106 E. Main St. Solon 319-624-7000
PIZZA AND CAFE
All Major Credit Cards Accepted E-mail: Kevin@tidbitpapers.com or Call (319) 270-2961
Open 11am Daily $5.99 Buffet 11-2 M-F
Mention Tidbits to receive this special
$8.99 Large 14” Pepperoni Pizza. Offer expires April 11th, 2012
On a shopping mall marquee: Archery Tournament-Ears pierced No charge!
(c) 2012 King Features Synd., Inc.
March 28th 2012
The Neatest Little Paper Ever Read®
All types of scrap Metal
Auto, Aluminum, Aluminum Cans, Copper and Brass
400 41st Ave. Dr. S.W., Cedar Rapids, IA
Come to us 1st and last for the best price!
March 28th 2012
Place your classifieds online at www.tidbitpapers.com
Hawkeye Publishing, L.L.C. www.tidbitpapers.com www.tidbitpapers.com For ForAdvertising AdvertisingE-mail: E-mail:Kevin@tidbitpapers.com email@example.com or orcall Call319-270-2961 (319) 270-2961
Classifieds Of Johnson County APARTMENTS
1,2,3 BR. Luxury Apts! Call us today
Located at 6610 College Park Ct. SW
Cedar Rapids-close to I380! *All Utilities included* Free Internet & Cable! Security Deposit only $87.50! Www.Collegeparkapt.Com PAINTING
J.B. Painting, Inc.
Residential and Light Commercial Painting Great References Free Estimates Call Jeff at 319-329-6747
CLASSIFIEDS WORK! Contractors, this is a great place to list your service.
Call for more information about placing your ad.
360-3936 NON PROFIT DONATE YOUR CAR, TRUCK OR BOAT TO HERITAGE FOR THE BLIND. Free 3 Day Vacation, Tax Deductible, Free Towing, All Paperwork Taken Care Of. 888-651-7037
R/V FOR SALE
2009 17’ Jayco EXP Sleeps 6, Full Bath, Micro, Stove, Oven, Refrigerator, NADA book value $11,900 Will accept $10,700 319-521-7071
NATIONAL DIVORCE $99.00 Covers Children, Custody, Property & Debts. Uncontested. Satisfaction Guaranteed! Unlimited Customer Support. Call 24/hrs. Free Information! 1-800-250-8142.
MOTORCYCLES / 4x4 WANTED JAPANESE MOTORCYCLES KAWASAKI: Z1-900, KZ900, KZ1000, Z1R, Kawasaki Triples, GT380, GS400, CB750, (1969-75) Cash Paid, Nationwide Pickup, 1-800-772-1142, 1-310-721-0726. firstname.lastname@example.org
FOR SALE DOVES Male and Female. Variety of colors Peach and Lavender Ring neck. must see 319-621-9451 Mona MEDICAL & HEALTH QUIT SMOKING, lose weight, stress or anxiety relief. Hypnosis can help. Call for a free consultation. Heartland Hypnosis Center 804-4124
SOCIAL SECURITY DISABILITY BENEFITS. WIN or Pay Nothing! Start Your Application In Under 60 Seconds. Call Today! Contact Disability Group, Inc. Licensed Attorneys & BBB Accredited. Call 888-904-2853 ATTENTION SLEEP APNEA SUFFERERS with Medicare. Get FREE CPAP Replacement Supplies at NO COST, plus FREE home delivery! Best of all, prevent red skin sores and bacterial infection! Call 888-8166450
TELEVISION / PHONE DISH Network. Starting at $19.99/ month PLUS 30 Premium Movie Channels FREE for 3 Months! SAVE! & Ask About SAME DAY Installation! CALL - 888-475-4927 SAVE on Cable TVInternet-Digital Phone. Packages start at $89.99/ mo (for 12 months.) Options from ALL major service providers. Call Acceller today to learn more! CALL 1-888-414-1556
Wascomat W-73. Many great parts including the motor and wiring! Call 319-360-3936 WEIGHT LOSS Diabetes/Cholesterol/ Weight Loss Bergamonte, a Natural Product for Cholesterol, Blood Sugar and weight. Physician recommended, backed by Human Clinical Studies with amazing results. Call today and save 15 off your first bottle! 888-861-1620
CLASSIFIED ADS .25 per word! $5.00 Minimum.
We do accept classified’s by US mail and phone.
Send your content and payment to: Hawkeye Publishing 162 Collins Rd. NE PMB 321 Cedar Rapids, IA 52402 For more info, call Russ 319-360-3936
Past, Present & Future available for events and private parties call for an appt.
$9.50 an hour Machine operation Computer skills Multi-tasking Train on first shift 2 weeks Then move to 3rd shift Intent to hire
Document Prep/ Scanner $10.00 an hour Computer skills 1st shift
• Looking at a map of Paris, it is important to understand the arrondissements. Most of the historical tourist attractions are found in the first eight.
1 shift If you have experience in Carpentry, welding, Can read blueprints Or mechanical background We need you for this job Pay depending on experience Intent to hire
• Originally, in 1795, Paris was divided into 12 arrondissements with 1-9 on the right bank of the Seine River and 10-12 on the left bank. The Seine flows from east to west, so the right bank is northern Paris, and the left bank is southern Paris. The Seine runs through the historical heart of the city and actually has two islands in the central part.
$12.00 an hour 1st shift Intent to hire
• In 1860, as the city expanded, the 12 original arrondissements were changed to the current 20 that are arranged in the spiral design.
$10 OFF first time reading
Find out about love, finances and your future. 2nd St., Coralville, IA
Shop online and save. Wide variety of items! H D Productions 319-396-4725 www.hdfigurines.com READERS & MUSIC LOVERS. 100 Greatest Novels (audio books) ONLY $99.00 (plus s h.) Includes MP3 Player & Accessories. BONUS: 50 Classical Music Works & Money Back Guarantee. Call Today! 1-877-365-9369 DIVORCE $99.00 Covers Children, Custody, Property & Debts. Uncontested. Satisfaction Guaranteed! Unlimited Customer Support. Call 24/hrs. Free Information! 1-800-250-8142.
THE OCEAN Corp. 10840 Rockley Road, Houston, Texas 77099. Train for a New Career. *Underwater Welder. Commercial Diver. *NDT/Weld Inspector. Job Placement Assistance. Financial Aid available for those who qualify. 1-800-321-0298. FEATHER PILLOW CLEANING 20% OFF. Pillow & Comforter Cleaning & New Ticking. New Pillows Available.
Czech Feather & Down 103 First Street NW Mount Vernon, IA. 319-895-6551
Webster’s Dictionary defines the big word, arrondissements as “an administrative district of certain large French cities, in particular Paris.” • Traveling from place to place in Paris can be difficult due to its large size. Learning about the arrondissements helps. Paris is divided into 20 arrondissements, with the first one in the center of the city and the remaining ones spiraling outwards, like a snail shell, in a clock-wise direction.
$9.00 and $9.25 an hour 1st, 2nd and 3rd shift Overtime possible Intent to hire st
MIG Welding Recruiter
$12.50 an hour Lots of phone work 5 month assignment But could be intent to hire for the right candidate Must be able to pass a background and drug screen
Advance Services, Inc. 4330 Czech Lane NE #7 Cedar Rapids, 319-393-1200 EOE
Space available, .25 per word, $5.00 Minimum.
$500.00 Hire Bonus!!! Truck Drivers & OwnerOperators. Flatbed / Reefer. Lease Purchase Available. 2 years verifiable exp. required. Marquardt/Skyway Transportation.
Call 1-866-534-7722 or 1-800-234-4949
Rent our Clubhouse by Shueyville for parties, Receptions & Events Kitchen & Bar (beer/wine) service available. Handicapped accessible. Seats 120 guests. Facility Rental (4 hour minimum) Members: $75 4 hour rental Non-Members: $150 4 hour rental Contact: Mary Jo Meggers 319-848-7643
Hawkeye Publishing LLC considers it’s advertisers reliable and verifies as much data as possible. Consequently, readers using this information do so at their own risk. It is suggested that the investors contact the appropriate consumer agency before sending payment. Although persons and companies mentioned herein are ® believed to be reputable, neither Tidbits of Linn county publication, Hawkeye Publishing L.L.C., The Nations Online Listings nor any of it’s employees accept any responsibility whatsoever for their actions. For more information about credit scams and advanced fee loans write: FTS Washington, DC 20580
• Arrondissements 1,4,5,6,7 and 8 border the Seine and contain many of the historical buildings that Paris is famous for. The Louvre Museum and Tuileries Gardens are found in number 1. • Numbers 2 and 3 do not border the river and are the smallest sections of Paris. They are known for the National Library and National Conservatory of Arts and Crafts, respectively, as well as historical businesses, like the old stock exchange, and museums. • The 4th Arrondissement is the oldest and one of the busiest tourism sections in Paris where Notre-Dame Cathedral is located. • Notre-Dame Cathedral is actually built on an island, the Île de la Cité, in the river. The Pont Neuf bridge connects the island with the right and left banks. Originally made of wood, the bridge, with 12 arches, was rebuilt in 1607. It is the oldest bridge in Paris. • The cathedral was built over a span of 182 years, from 1163-1345. Notre-Dame has undergone two major restorations: in the 19th century after damage during the French Revolution and again from 1991-2001. • The city designers of Paris not only meant for the arrondissements to organize the layout of the city, but they also contain monuments that represent major landmarks on the landscape. Notre-Dame is the central point in Paris; the Eiffel Tower marks the west; the Bastille column, the east; Sacré Coeur (Sacred Heart Basilica), the north; and Montparnasse Tower marks the south. • Some of the famous landmarks in Paris provide the best spots to start touring the city and the best views. The square in front of Notre-Dame indicates the starting point for measuring all distances in France (not just Paris). From in front of Sacré Coeur, there is a view of the entire city of Paris. It is the highest point in the city after the Eiffel Tower. • Paris is an interesting city with much to offer, but it can be confusing if you don’t know about the strange arrondissement patterns. Of course, knowing a bit of the French language is also helpful!
March 28th 2012
-Tidbits® The paper that readers of all ages can enjoy-
Hawkeye Publishing, L.L.C. www.tidbitpapers.com For Advertising E-mail: email@example.com or Call (319) 270-2961 #0339
123 E. Main Street • Solon, IA 52333 • Phone (319) 624-2669 Services Available:
en at can
• Dry Cleaning Store Hours: • Fishing & Hunting Licenses 7:00 am to 10:00 pm • Live Bait • Print Cartridge Refills 7 Days Q: What doTalk you get when you crossAa Week! gun dog •I-Wireless Mega Refills
with a telephone? A: A golden receiver!
Check Out Our Website www.samsmsm.com For Our Rewards Program, Current Ad And More! DVD Rental www.rapiddvd.net
Q: What dog wears a white coat and does scientiﬁc experiments? A: A golden lab! Lean Boneless
Ham & Water Product
Water Added Butt Portion.....................
Grade A With Pop-Up Timer Per Lb
Q: What do you get if you cross a dog with an 4 lb F16 ﬁghter plane? A: A jet setter! Farmland
Plus Deposit 12 Pack 12 oz Cans or 6 Pack 24 oz Btls 2 Liter Btl.......... Plus Deposit
Lean Boneless Half Ham Ham & Water Product 2.5 Lb .......
er having uld go ence.”
U.S.D.A. Select Boneless Beef U.S.D.A. Select Rib Eye Steaks ............
Selected 14 oz
Bone-In Spiral Sliced Hickory Smoked or Honey Cured With Natural Juices
Selected 5-12 oz
Selected 6.7-12.55 oz
Selected 4-6 oz
This word means: Goods or merchandise whose importation, exportation or possession is forbidden.
Extra Fancy #1 Per Lb
8.5-9.5 oz Potato Chips or
Selected 12-16 oz
5/82 26/68 Ears /70 8/55 1. Beagles /68 2. When cows are fertile for breeding warn its owner when it sawretrievers a Golden and Labrador retrievers 8 Q: How did the dog 16 oz 3.
4.theOne fallen tree across road? or two hours per day for six months
Selected 8-12 oz
Selected 16 oz
Selected 7.25 oz
Selected 24 oz
Sandwich White or Wheat 20 oz
Selected 13.1-15.5 oz
10.5-11.5 oz Tortilla Chips Pre-Priced $ 4.29
Selected Classic Favorites Meals or Desserts
30 Pack Cans Plus Deposit
18 Pack Cans or Btls Plus Deposit
5. When dogs identify ingredientsSelected mixed together 56 oz 16 oz Selected 59 oz 16-32 oz by separating the scents. Q: What do you get when you cross a gun dog 1. What breed of dogs can sniff out terA: Bark! Bark! Extra Large Red or Green with a telephone? mites? Per Lb Selected Selected A: A golden receiver! 2. Australian shepherds have been trained to help cattle farmers. What can ● On 20,coat1920, MOMENTS Q: What dog March wears a white and doesBugatti delivers its first they identify?IN TIME scientiﬁ c experiments? 16-valve car to a customer in Switzerland. The ● On March 19, 1952, the one-millionth Jeep The History Channel 3. What two breeds make the best serA: A golden lab! Bugatti was a symbol of wealth and status, and its is produced. The name “Jeep” is reportedly ● On March 23, 1836,vice indogs? hopes of keeping pace 4. How long does it take to train a sercars were equipped with derived from the Army’s 1941 request that car Q: What do you get if you cross a dog with an massive racing engines. with the furious march of technology, the U.S. vice dog? F16 The ﬁghter plane? renowned American dancer Isadora Duncan manufacturers develop a “General Purpose” Mint unveils its first 5.steam-powered press. The What is “odor layering?” A: A jet setter! was riding in a Bugatti when her trademark long vehicle. “G.P.” turned to “Jeep” somewhere 1. Do the termsnew-fangled “service” animal andcontraption helped crank out coins bout“therapy” to animal scarf caught in a rear wheel of the vehicle, and she along the battle lines. meanefficiently. the same thing? more your air government was the ﬁrst to use was instantly strangled to death. (c) 2012 King Features Synd., Inc. 2. What
to detect agricultural quarantine . If dogs you items? liances, you will turn on r means consider
1st Quarter 2011 Week 4
“If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience.” – Woodrow Wilson
Let the sun shine in!
BOCDNATNRA This word means: Goods or merchandise
57 0 P e n n whose C t .importation, N o rexportation t h L iorb e r t y
Our electric sunroofs come with a LIFETIME warranty! Call today for an installed price.
w w w . a t apossession n d issforbidden. igns.com
Therapy animals are not the same as “service animals.” They are animals Danica Patrick 3/25/82 that are used to visit hospitals, nursing Kenny Chesney 3/26/68 1. No homes, rehabilitation centers, schools Mariah Carey 3/27/70 and other facilities. A program called Reba McEntire 3/28/55 1. Beagles 2. Mexico Lucy Lawless 3/29/68 “Pet Partners” established in 1990 as 2. When cows are fertile for breeding 3. Golden retrievers and Labrador retrievers Celine Dion 3/30/68 a part of the non-proﬁt Delta Society 4. One or two hours per day for six months Al Gore 3/31/48 based out of Bellevue, Washington, 5. When dogs identify ingredients mixed together is the only national registry that by separating the scents. requires training and screening of ates that, “When animals are around, people’s blood pressure ssed,animal-handler and theyteams. tend to be more social and community oriented.”
All of our tire prices are Out the Door Prices!
No hidden charges! No Surprises!
Five Seasons Tire is locally owned and operated. RD SW 2804 1st Ave NE As the 1641 warmer Edgewood months are about to Cedar Rapids, IA 52404 Cedar Rapids, IA 52402 start, think of how you can keep your air 3/25 International Wafﬂe Day 319-396-7463 319-366-7683 3/26 Make Up HOURS Your Own Holiday Day conditioning from running much.9-3 If you Both Locations: Mon.-Fri. 8-6;soSat. 3/27 National “Joe” Day wDay. f i v e suseeyouramicrowave s o nand s tsmaller i r appliances, e.com 3/28 Somethingw on w a Stick such as toaster ovens and crock pots, you will 3/29 National Mom and Pop Business keep your kitchen cooler than if you turn on Owners’ Day 3/30 National Doctor’s Day your oven. Of course, warmer weather means 3/31 Take a Walk in the Park Day grilling season is about to start, so consider
√ INCLUDES Mounting √ INCLUDES Computer Balancing √ INCLUDES Road Hazard Warranty √ INCLUDES Lifetime Rotation √ 1st INCLUDES Free2011 Tire Disposal Quarter √ INCLUDES Lifetime Pressure Check 4 Free Rubber Valve Stem √ Week INCLUDES
*DOUBLE Your rebate up to $160.00* * See Store for details. Offer good with Goodyear and Dunlop Tires
Our Services include:
Computerized Wheel Alignment ● Front End Component Replacement Brakes, Shocks and Struts ● CV Joints and Boots, Coil Springs Oil Changes and much more!