SUSTAINING VALUES FOR SUCCESS SCAN: ORGANIZATIONAL SUSTAINABILITY INTELLIGENCE
1. Paradigm shift
Societal interests are no longer problems but opportunities for organizational development, growth and profitability. The new challenge of leaders is to change their mindset to one of connectivity and integration of the diverse viewpoints of their stakeholders. The journey begins by recognizing the dilemmas an organization faces with these stakeholders â€“ the Ten Golden Dilemmas*. This new paradigm is challenging; is profitable; is rewarding.
* See Appendix
2. Who is Trompenaars Hampden-Turner •
Founded 25 years ago by two original thinkers: Fons Trompenaars and Charles HampdenTurner.
Headquartered in Amsterdam with offices in Boston, UK and Tokyo. Network of associate consultants in USA, Europe, Australia, China, India, Japan, Singapore and South America.
Our database of more than 80,000 international leaders and managers is the world’s largest cross-cultural database. Our cutting-edge research serves as a basis for innovative and creative approaches and our mindset is to continuously improve and innovate our intellectual property to match our clients’ needs.
Numerous publications in 15 languages, including the bestseller Riding the Waves of Culture, Understanding Cultural Diversity in Business. Our latest book: The Global M&A Tango (2010).
We advise, train and coach many of the world’s largest global companies (Fortune 500).
Key areas: globalization, cross-border M&A, building global high performance culture, sustainability and developing global leadership capabilities.
Improvement of global effectiveness of organizations through best practice consulting by benchmarking, training in Dilemma Reconciliation, coaching from Values-to-Behavior and Performance processes, team building through Working Together for Results programs and ongoing research.
3. Sustainability as we see itâ€Ś As experts in the field of connecting different viewpoints and values our research and consulting practice reveals that: to achieve sustainable success, organizations need to integrate the competing demands of their key stakeholders: operational processes, employees, clients, shareholders and society. by incorporating societyâ€™s perspectives and strengths into the core operations, organizations significantly enhance their growth, productivity and innovation. Leveraging this opportunity, requires a change in mindset. these integrated solutions tap into the organizational and personal values of your employees and result from reconciling the dilemmas that organizations face. In this process, innovative solutions are essential. in order to help organizations achieve sustainable success, a key step is to obtain sustainability intelligence. We offer this through our Sustainability Scan.
4. Our approach: THT Sustainability Scan
• Assessment of the most significant organizational dilemmas resulting from conflicting stakeholder demands • Gap analysis: assessment of how the organization approaches these dilemmas – current versus ideal
• Obtain an understanding and prioritize the key challenges the organization faces with its various stakeholders • Identify the organization’s ability to go beyond one-sided solutions
Leadership & Management Competences • Assessment of the leadership and management competences in creating value through dilemmas
Organizational & Personal Values
• Assessment of organizational priorities regarding stakeholder relationships • Assessment of the organizational readiness for transformation • Inventory of personal values of your employees • Inventory of the organizational values
• Obtain an overview of the strengths and weaknesses of the leadership and management in addressing the organizational dilemmas
• Identify which stakeholder(s) the organization focuses its attention • Obtain an overview of how your employees assess the organization’s readiness to change for sustainability • Obtain an overview of your employees’ personal values to assess the degree to which these are aligned with the organizational values • Determine the extent to which organizational values are known and lived amongst employees
• Insight into the organization’s current strategic and operational challenges in order to know where to focus attention • Identification of the key opportunities to be realized with your stakeholders for performance improvement • A map for dialogue on reconciliation for sustainability
• The complex world needs leaders and managers with global mindsets. We identify development opportunities to increase this capability for sustainable performance
• Insight into the current focus in terms of stakeholder relationships to identify which role these can play in your organizational performance for sustainability • Insight into whether your organization is ready for transformation into a sustainable organization • Awareness of the personal values of your employees as a source of employee engagement and organizational effectiveness • Insight into the organizational values as the foundation of effective, sustainable performance
The scan helps identify areas of opportunity as a part of the roadmap for the organization that can (1) tap into personal values of your employees (2) support teams to accomplish their goals and innovative breakthroughs and (3) effectively address the most significant challenges with different stakeholders
5. Overview Sustainability Intelligence
Presentation by Fons Trompenaars at the CSR Compact Summit 5-6 September 2011
Analysis Report Online Scan
Validating Interviews (optional)
or In-depth Analysis Report
Face-to-face/ virtual report meeting
Co-designing a roadmap to embed values for sustaining success
6. Terms of reference 1. Online scan: • Option to add organization-specific questions if required • Time investment: +/- 25 minutes per participant • Target group: +/- 150 respondents, leadership and management levels • CSRCompactreview 2. Validating interviews (recommended) for in-depth analysis: • Key players, selected by your organization • Time investment: 1-1.5 hours per interview • Either face-to-face or by phone 3. (In-depth) Analysis report: • Analysis report: quantitative and qualitative overview of organizational dilemmas; strategic and operational opportunities; organizational culture; leadership and management competences and recommendations. • (In-depth) analysis report: above scan with additional analysis and recommendations, as validated through interviews. Fees: Reduced fee for Singapore Compact members for report and daily fee rate of 4 interviews per day 4. Face-to-face/virtual report meeting: • Discussion of key implications of the (in-depth) analysis report • Either face-to-face or by phone 5. CSR Compact Summit, 5-6 September 2011: • Presentation by Fons Trompenaars on the anonymous sustainability benchmark results of all participating organizations 6. Possible next steps: • Developing initiatives which map your stakeholders and their impact on your organization; facilitate a dialogue with your stakeholders; design solutions which create shared value for both your organization and society; and embed values and solutions for sustainability. • Co-creating a systemic approach linked to current initiatives and change vehicles, such as leadership development programs, HR systems and processes etc.
The Ten Golden Dilemmas: between stakeholders
Operational Efficiency 9
Contributions to Society
Employee Development & Learning
Shareholder Returns & Financial Performance
Satisfaction of the Client
The Ten Golden Dilemmas
On the one hand…
On the other hand…
Operational processes: We need to become more results oriented.
Employees: We need to develop our people.
Employees: We need to reward our people.
Shareholders: We need to maximize financial results for our shareholders.
Shareholders: We need to maximize shareholder return from our existing business. Society: We need to supply products and services that satisfy our customers’ needs, reflecting our responsibility towards society. Customers: We need to respond to particular requests from our markets. Customers: We always need to satisfy the customers’ demands. Employees: We need to assess our employees on their performance.
Society: We need to invest in a sustainable society. Customers: We need to supply products and services that satisfy our customers’ wants. Operational processes: We need to create standardized products and services. Employees: We need to take care of the well-being of our employees. Society: We need adhere to society’s norms and values.
Operational processes: We need to focus on the organization strategy.
Shareholders: We need to comply with the demands of our shareholders.
Operational processes: We need to focus on the dayto-day running of our business.
Society: We need to fulfill the raison d´être of our organization within society.
Shareholders: We need to generate capital growth for our shareholders.
Customers: We need to continuously develop loyalty with our customers.
Consulting track record
FOR MORE INFORMATION: EMAIL PHONE ONLINE DEMO
email@example.com +31 (0)20 3016666 www.thtconsulting.com password: CSRCompactreview