05192022 NEWS AND SPORT

Page 1

PUZZLER WEDNESDAY WDW 50th Happy Meal

HIGH 83ºF LOW 75ºF

i’m lovin’ it!

Monday,

February

CARS! CARS!

8, 2021

The Tribune Established

Being Bound To

Swear To The Dogmas

1903

Of No Master

The Tribune L A T E S T

Volume: 119 No.122, May 18, 2022

N E W S

tise Call

To Adver

-2351

601-0007 or 502

Starting at

$33.60

CLASSIFIEDS TRADER

ed

VAT includ

Established 1903

O N

T R I B U N E 2 4 2 . C O M

Biggest And Best!

THE PEOPLE’S PAPER: PRICE–$1

EXUMA DEATHS: CALL FOR AUTOPSY IN US

CASES UP - BUT NO CHANGE IN RESTRICTIONS

Findings still not released over tourist fatalities at Sandals By LEANDRA ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter lrolle@tribunemedia.net FAMILY members of the three American tourists who were found dead at Sandals Emerald Bay resort in Exuma earlier this month want US pathologists to perform another autopsy on the victims, Health Minister Dr Michael Darville revealed yesterday. According to Dr Darville, those requests are currently being “entertained” by officials. This comes after Deputy Prime Minister Chester Cooper told reporters last

By LEANDRA ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter lrolle@tribunemedia.net

week that autopsies of the American victims had already been completed. However, he noted the findings have not been released. “To my understanding, there is still some investigations ongoing at the Sandals resort,” Dr Darville said when asked for an update into investigations. “We also have the pathologist in (the) country who have done their job and samples were sent to a very reliable lab in the United States and a toxicology report was still outstanding.” SEE PAGE THREE

DESPITE a recent increase in COVID-19 cases, Health and Wellness Minister Dr Michael Darville said the government is not at this time considering tightening measures. There has been a slight increase in COVID-19 cases in recent weeks, with double digit numbers being recorded most days. Just over the weekend, health officials reported 106 new virus cases, 23 of which were recorded on Sunday, 63 on Saturday and 20 on Friday. Meanwhile, Monday saw 32 cases confirmed. SEE PAGE FOUR

TALKS ON EXAMINATIONS FOR STUDENTS IN QUARANTINE By LEANDRA ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter lrolle@tribunemedia.net

WITH national examinations set to resume on schedule this year, Education Minister Glenys Hanna-Martin said officials are now discussing how best they can accommodate students in quarantine. “We’re discussing that now,” she said when asked about the issue yesterday.

“Certainly, we would want all of our children to be able to take examinations. If they contract it, it’s not a fault-based situation. So, we’re discussing now how we would deal with situations like that, but, of course, the undergirding rationale would be to do all that we can to ensure that our young people can take their examinations.” SEE PAGE FIVE

ALL ABOARD TO TRY OUT AMBULANCE A STUDENT from Willard Patton Pre-School tries out a stretcher during a visit to the school by an ambulance crew as part of National Emergency Medical Services Week. Emergency crews also visited Temple Christian Academy and Genesis Academy to demonstrate to children the work they carry out to keep people safe. See PAGE TWO. Photo: Racardo Thomas/Tribune Staff

DAVIS SLAMMED FOR ‘CONCEALING’ GOVT CONTRACTS By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net

FNM leader Michael Pintard yesterday hit back at the Davis administration for “flat-out concealing” millions of dollars in contracts it has concluded since taking office by failing to comply with the Public Procurement Act. FULL STORY - SEE BUSINESS

‘DON’T GIVE TOO MANY CONCESSIONS’ By EARYEL BOWLEG Tribune Staff Reporter ebowleg@tribunemedia.net

A DAY after details were disclosed regarding the cancelled Grand Lucayan purchase agreement, Opposition Leader Michael Pintard said he thinks excessive concessions should not be granted to foreign companies seeking investment in the country. In the House of

FNM leader Michael Pintard. Assembly on Monday, Tourism, Investments and Aviation Minister Chester Cooper said Bahamas

Port Investment Limited offered to purchase the Grand Lucayan resort from the former Minnis administration for $50m and also wanted the former government to provide $100m in cash concessions for redevelopment of the property. While he told The Tribune that refusing huge concessions did not mean that there weren’t other

Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper

SEE PAGE THREE

ALICIA WALLACE: BACK TO THE OFFICE - BUT IS THAT BEST?

- SEE PAGE EIGHT


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.
05192022 NEWS AND SPORT by tribune242 - Issuu