Page 9

“THE STAR”, Tuesday, August 20, 2013 - PAGE 9

Kardella ignored By Jacob de Kunder A KARDELLA resident is outraged he hasn’t had the Yellow Pages delivered to his property for the last seven years. John Touzel said he has been given the run around by Sensis, the company that run the Yellow Pages. “For seven years I have been trying to get the phone books delivered to rural properties in the Korumburra area,” he said. “I have all kinds of off puts.” Mr Touzel pushed to get a phone book delivered to his property on One Chain Road in June and after much deliberation only received a straight answer last week. After repeatedly asking why he was not receiving a phone book, Mr Touzel was told by a Sensis spokesperson: “Kardella falls outside of our delivery area of the Warragul White and Yellow Pages.” He was told that to obtain a book he was to pick one up from the nearest post office. In contrast a Sensis spokesperson

told The Star: “Anyone in the area requiring a directory that has not received one can contact us. “They should already receive one free of charge but if they haven’t they can call us... and we will send one.” Mr Touzel said he has ordered a phone book over the phone in the past but found that an unsatisfactory service. “They have told us before to ring up and order one and they will send us one,” he said. “They did and sent us a Mornington Peninsula one and two days later I got a bill for it.” Mr Touzel said every household with a mailing address should receive a phone book. “Irrespective of computers and internet and all that stuff (we should get a book),” he said. “There are a lot of people who still don’t have that access. I have got it but my wife can’t work the computer. “The advertisers that are paying good money in this area are not getting the full coverage of customers either.” The Austral Hotel in Korumbur-

ra’s Doug White is upset the books, which he advertises in, aren’t getting to some households. “It’s disappointing the books are not being distributed where you think they are being distributed,” he said. “What they are saying is they don’t deliver too far rurally and if they want it they can go get it from the post office. “It’s sad in this day and age, when we are struggling to get our business messages out there that phone books aren’t getting delivered.” Mr White said it would be taking a toll on business in the area. “A lot of us here in town derive a lot of income from external lying areas because people in town tend to know who you are,” he said. “It’s more external of your business that you are hoping for the extended revenue flow and if they are not getting to the book or the opportunity, well, it’s almost a waste of time.” Sensis failed to return comment before The Star went to print about the Kardella delivery service and other districts in the area that don’t receive delivery.

Left behind: Kardella’s John Touzel is outraged that he doesn’t have the Yellow and White Pages delivered to his home and he said he isn’t alone.

Ambo figures fiddled: Opposition, union By Matt Dunn STATE Government claims a “record number of paramedic shifts” was driving down ambulance response times has been lambasted by the Opposition and the union. Late last week Health Minister David Davis’ office put out generic press releases across the state, claiming extra resources were leading to better times. But Labor’s Parliamentary Secretary for Health, Wade Noonan accused Mr Davis of “fiddling with figures” to dupe the public. Mr Davis said South Gippsland ambos had notched up 3,713 additional shifts in 2012-13 than in 2009-10, with 70 more paramedics on the road now. “An increase in the number of paramedics on the road in the South Gippsland area and a record number of paramedic shifts is enabling Ambulance Victoria to respond to a record number of cases,” Mr Davis said. “This increase in staffing is part of the Victorian

Coalition Government’s commitment to a better ambulance service for our state.” Figures released by Mr Davis’ office showed for the three months to the end of March, Wonthaggi ambos responded to 359 urgent Code One calls, reaching the scene of more than half of them within 13 minutes; Leongatha ambos responded to 148 urgent Code One calls, reaching the scene of more than half of them within 13 minutes; the Foster ambulance service responded to 96 urgent Code one calls, reaching the scene of more than half of them within 15 minutes; Korumburra ambos responded to 100 urgent Code One calls, reaching the scene of more than half of them within 15 minutes; and Yarram ambos responded to 59 urgent Code One calls, reaching the scene of more than half of them within 18 minutes. Ambulance Employees Association state secretary Steve McGhie said the government was being selective with its release of information, painting a rosier picture than was true. “When you look down the list and you start getting to Foster, Korumburra

and Yarram, they don’t even meet the government benchmark of 90th percentile of Code One cases arriving within 15 minutes,” he said. “If the minister thinks he’s painting a good picture, he’s kidding himself.” Mr McGhie said Opposition figures, obtained under Freedom of Information (FOI), showed how badly things really were. Mr Noonan said Mr Davis was “trying to spin his way out of the deepening ambulance crisis”. “Mr Davis released a series of press releases with figures attempting to paint a rosy picture about Victoria’s ambulance system across the state, with 50th percentile Code One response times,” he said. “But all Mr Davis has done today is release half the data, which is only half the picture. We don’t base the final result of a football match on the half-time score, but that is exactly what Mr Davis is trying to do. “Mr Davis should be telling the community what’s happening in the other 50 per cent of cases, where the ambulance service is consistently failing to perform.”

Honouring ANZACs: from left, McMillan MP Russell Broadbent, Perce Brewer, Ron Blair, Ray James, Steve Moy, Nigel Hutchinson-Brooks, Lenoa Gullquist and Jennifer Paproth are encouraging community groups to apply for money under the Australian Government’s ANZAC Centenary Local Grants Program.

Celebrating ANZACS MEMBER for McMillan Russell Broadbent was in Leongatha last week, telling community organisations keen to celebrate ANZAC Day, that $100,000 is available in the electorate. The Australian Government’s ANZAC Centenary Local Grants Program was launched last year, with money available to assist and encourage communities across Australia to commemorate the service and sacrifice of Australian servicemen and women from the First World War. Funding was available from July 1 this year to June 30, 2014.

“This is an opportunity for people to participate in the 100th commemoration of ANZAC. Having said that, it’s not just about RSL’s, it’s not just about returned servicemen. It’s about the broader community’s input into how we might celebrate as a group of people up to the tune of $100,000 against every electorate in Australia,” Mr Broadbent. A local group that includes RSL members, will assess “how that money can be used to the best advantage of the celebration of ANZAC”. For more details contact Jennifer Paproth on 5623 2064 at Mr Broadbent’s office at Warragul.

Farm gate sales boost for Victoria By Jane Ross FARM gate sales of fruit, vegetables and other produce will be encouraged under Victoria’s new rural zone. And a permit won’t be necessary. Under the changes, councils will be able to consider more “off farm” income streams on farms such as a farm machinery repair business. The permit threshold for extensions to farm sheds and dairy facilities will change, as will the ability of councils to determine smaller lifestyle lots. The final stage of the zone reforms have been

approved by State Planning Minister Matthew Guy, who has described the move as “essential for the modernisation of our planning structures for rural and regional Victoria”. Tourism will also benefit, with bed and breakfast proprietors able to host 10 guests at any one time without a permit. Animal feedlots of up to 1000 head will also be permitted. Paul Stampton, South Gippsland Shire Council’s strategic planning and development manager, said council may consider minor changes to the Rural Land Use Strategy but the restriction on subdivision below 80ha will still apply. “The major thing is the government will allow

most things in the farming zone without a planning permit,” he said. But some aspects of the reforms don’t thrill Bass Coast Shire Council which lodged a submission during the zone change review process. Planning and environment director Hannah Duncan-Jones said council was disappointed 173 agreement requirements have been removed because this could increase land fragmentation. These agreements were allowed under a section of the Planning Environment Act, whereby a responsible authority (eg. councils) could set out with a landowner, conditions or restrictions or use or development of land. Removing the protection of biodiversity of an

area wasn’t supported by council either Ms Duncan-Jones said the new rural zones were being incorporated into Bass Coast’s draft rural land use strategy which aims to provide clear guidance about vision for the shire’s rural areas. The strategy will also provide policy direction to help council apply the new rural zones within Bass Coast. But she said council was supportive of a number of aspects of the new farming zones including encouraging retention of productive agricultural land and ensuring non-agricultural uses don’t adversely affect the use of land for agriculture. The new rural zones will be gazetted on September 5.

The Great Southern Star - August 20, 2013  

August 20 edition of South Gippsland's weekly newspaper.

Advertisement